Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    my personal opinion is that this was a good move on pearl jam, to follow bruce on this. both artists are big enough to make an impact(big statement- lots of media press-lots of open discussion back and forth as a result). one of the many things i love about this band is that they always have had strong opinions(and made them known) about all injustices. be it gulf oil, those wrongfully accused, women's rights, bush's war, vets lack of proper care...the list goes on and on. i'm feeling soooo proud(cause they are MY band) that they take a stand on many important issues. it's one of the main reasons why i'm a big fan.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I haven't had time to comment on this, because I was FLYING to Charlotte to see 2 Pearl Jam and 2 Panic shows... Since Pearl Jam took the punk bitch way out and canceled Raleigh, we saw a killer Widespread Panic show in Chattanooga instead... I will probably never see Pearl jam again, I have lost every inch of respect they have earned over the last 20 years and 150+ shows I've seen... I am disgusted. I wish the 10club would allow us to cancel our tickets as easily as they can a concert, because I no longer want my 10C wrigley or telluride ticket. DO NOT PM OR MESSAGE ME, THEY WILL NOT TRANSFER IT!!! I will also be selling most of the shit I've collected over the 20+ years I've been following them. Benaroya, EMEK Santa Barbara, it's all getting evacuated... I've faced it, a life wasted, I'm never going back again.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,558
    pjtaper said:

I haven't had time to comment on this, because I was FLYING to Charlotte to see 2 Pearl Jam and 2 Panic shows... Since Pearl Jam took the punk bitch way out and canceled Raleigh, we saw a killer Widespread Panic show in Chattanooga instead... I will probably never see Pearl jam again, I have lost every inch of respect they have earned over the last 20 years and 150+ shows I've seen... I am disgusted. I wish the 10club would allow us to cancel our tickets as easily as they can a concert, because I no longer want my 10C wrigley or telluride ticket. DO NOT PM OR MESSAGE ME, THEY WILL NOT TRANSFER IT!!! I will also be selling most of the shit I've collected over the 20+ years I've been following them. Benaroya, EMEK Santa Barbara, it's all getting evacuated... I've faced it, a life wasted, I'm never going back again.

That sucks man. Hopefully the band sees comments like this and will think a little harder next time about using their fans.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Maybe after 150 shows you were ready to move on anyway.

I will break 100 shows this year and I found my interest in driving 5 hours round trip for a show is disappearing (unless it is the only show I'm seeing). I find myself checking out destination shows for other bands that I've been missing out on over the years following only PJ.

Greenville's PJ show was outstanding though.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    @bootlegger10 after that Columbia show, I think I'm done... at least for a while... I need to see Guns N Roses more.. those vegas shows were incredible, Axl's voice was better in person than I have ever heard it on any stereo, etc... and Slash is possibly the greatest living guitar player, now that Prince is gone :(
  • Options
    JF657419JF657419 Posts: 12

aaaaaannnnnnd the Fonze sticks the landing.

Nothing to see here... move along... certiainly nothing of merit to discuss... dude who's been to over 150 shows ditching the band over it - truly an outlier... show's over folks...
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    indeed. some fans are funny people.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Post deleted by Admin. See the Posting Guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    pjtaper said:

Wow, that is an extreme reaction. Oh well!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Extreme reaction? Like canceling a concert 2 days before, when they knew people had made all sorts of plans to attend for months.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    I agree it was the wrong decision and I'm still annoyed about a lost show and lost money but you're gonna throw away 20 years for it? Seems extreme.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Extreme until they cancel the next show I was planning to attend.. Total slap in the face... disgusting.
  • Options
    PJ made a mistake like we all make mistakes. Hopefully you come back for some more shows in the future. Just travel to the blue states next time to be safe.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    pjtaper said:

Extreme reaction? Like canceling a concert 2 days before, when they knew people had made all sorts of plans to attend for months.

Yes, your reaction is extreme. I can't believe someone who has been a fan for 20 years would react like this because the band cancelled one show out of a protest they thought was the right thing to do morally. You don't have to agree that their decision was right - this is just a difference of opinion - but damn, your attitude about it is extreme indeed. It's one cancelled show in the name of equality. I understand that you were inconvenienced, and that sucks for you, but whether or not you think they handled it well, they DID do it to try and fight for civil rights. I would think that even a pissed off fan of 20 years would at least be able to come to terms with and appreciate their intentions if not the way they went about it. Or, as bootlegger10 said, at least have it in your heart to forgive them for doing soemthing that you don't like.
    Maybe you should hold on to the merch. You might calm down soon.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    If I had shelled out a lot of money for flights, hotels, rental cars etc...I'd be upset as well. Which is what happened to a really good friend of mine here.

That being said, he was pissed. After a day or two, he moved on. I get that it's upsetting & that some may disagree with the band, but it was their call to make. 2 days notice sucks. Period.

But there are things more important in this life than seeing your favorite band.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    You know, I felt much better when I was in Columbia, talking to all the other fans,every single one I talked to equally as upset as I was... I'll get over I hope... I just don't think I ever want to travel to see them again, and I certainly don't need so much junk of theirs... I'd rather sell shit and see the band I loved as much as Pearl Jam, before I knew who Pearl jam was.. GUNS N FUCKING ROSES! I was lucky enough to catch their 2 recent Vegas shows, and they were incredible! Raleigh made me realize, I've seen pearl jam more than enough, especially when I hear Rockin In the free world, baba, YLB to close out every single show. It gets old. I've fallen in love with Widespread panic... I saw 3 shows of theirs this week(2 pearl jam, 2 panic was the plan, I hit Chattanooga Panic on 4/20 instead). They played at least 5 songs I'd never seen them play live before, and I've seen them quite a few times(over 50). I believe they repeated one song in 3 shows, and they play close to 30 songs per night like PJ. So much good music to see, why get hung up on one band, that really isn't any better than many of the touring acts these days. I saw Sabbath and The Who recently, killer shows... Springsteen too, but I'm too pissed off at him to even want to think about that show. Life will go on. Columbia show was one of the worst I've seen, I could barely hear Mike, and they messed up some of my all time favorite songs... marker, light years, infallible... mike was way off all night.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093
    edited April 2016
    pjtaper said:

You know, I felt much better when I was in Columbia, talking to all the other fans,every single one I talked to equally as upset as I was... I'll get over I hope... I just don't think I ever want to travel to see them again, and I certainly don't need so much junk of theirs... I'd rather sell shit and see the band I loved as much as Pearl Jam, before I knew who Pearl jam was.. GUNS N FUCKING ROSES! I was lucky enough to catch their 2 recent Vegas shows, and they were incredible! Raleigh made me realize, I've seen pearl jam more than enough, especially when I hear Rockin In the free world, baba, YLB to close out every single show. It gets old. I've fallen in love with Widespread panic... I saw 3 shows of theirs this week(2 pearl jam, 2 panic was the plan, I hit Chattanooga Panic on 4/20 instead). They played at least 5 songs I'd never seen them play live before, and I've seen them quite a few times(over 50). I believe they repeated one song in 3 shows, and they play close to 30 songs per night like PJ. So much good music to see, why get hung up on one band, that really isn't any better than many of the touring acts these days. I saw Sabbath and The Who recently, killer shows... Springsteen too, but I'm too pissed off at him to even want to think about that show. Life will go on. Columbia show was one of the worst I've seen, I could barely hear Mike, and they messed up some of my all time favorite songs... marker, light years, infallible... mike was way off all night.

Deleted by Admin.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    edited April 2016
    deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    $30 for a sticker. C'mon!
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 284
    pjtaper said:

Yeah, SEE YOU at Wrigley....
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    dh280236dh280236 Texas Posts: 13
    Global warming is a myth and Eddie Vedder is a shill for the New World Order.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dh280236 said:

The fuck.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,146
    dh280236 said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mandarine65mandarine65 Posts: 133
    pjtaper said:

"150+ shows I've seen" ahahahahahahah and complaining because you missed one hahahhaa thanks you made my day!
  • Options

pjtaper said:

"150+ shows I've seen" ahahahahahahah and complaining because you missed one hahahhaa thanks you made my day!
    I don't think it has anything to do with the number of shows or missing a show, it is how the band handled it. How the band was okay canceling on 15,000 but when people asked for refunds or to transfer tickets for Columbia that they no longer were planning to use since not traveling for just 1 show, the band wouldn't budge on their ticket policy.
  • Options
    I didn't miss it, they canceled it. I spent a lot of money and flew across the country, THEY DIDN'T SHOW UP!!!! Laugh all you want, that'll help your karma
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    edited April 2016

my personal opinion is that this was a good move on pearl jam, to follow bruce on this. both artists are big enough to make an impact(big statement- lots of media press-lots of open discussion back and forth as a result). one of the many things i love about this band is that they always have had strong opinions(and made them known) about all injustices. be it gulf oil, those wrongfully accused, women's rights, bush's war, vets lack of proper care...the list goes on and on. i'm feeling soooo proud(cause they are MY band) that they take a stand on many important issues. it's one of the main reasons why i'm a big fan.

Gulf oil? You saw they just happily supported Shell Oil, a main sponsor of Jazzfest. Women's rights? I don't think so...not with the states they are playing with deplorable laws trying to take away woman's right to choose. Wake up. This was a PR move that long term is the right play for them money wise.
    Post edited by JP Losman on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    JP Losman said:

Gulf oil? You saw they just happily supported Shell Oil, a main sponsor of Jazzfest. Women's rights? I don't think so...not with the states they are playing with deplorable laws trying to take away woman's right to choose. Wake up. This was a PR move that long term is the right play for them money wise.
    How do you think it is a PR move that will benefit them money-wise? I don't see that at all. If you have some facts to back this idea up with I'm all ears.
    As for the sponsors for events they play... they have never fought that fight. Fest sponsors have never been something they addressed, so why would they start now? Just because they have never fought that fight, it doesn't mean they can't fight any fight ever.
  • Options
    so playing a festival sponsored by a massive oil company after blaming global warming on massive companies in columbia isn't hypocritical?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    ComeToTX said:

so playing a festival sponsored by a massive oil company after blaming global warming on massive companies in columbia isn't hypocritical?

I didn't say it wasn't. I'm just saying that they have never considered fest sponsors so aren't about to start now. Or, actually, maybe they will decide to start one of these days. But since they've never done it before, no reason to expect that they might have for Jazz Fest. They are obviously like all the rest of us: they pick and choose their battles, and balance beliefs with logistics.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on