Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Those geezers don't know how to use the internet! FLAME ON!
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    The government can't force people to get along. It has to start in the neighborhoods :) everyone is born into different situations and are brought up in different ways. Some people happen to be racist. That's ok, we can't force them to be different. Some people like the band creed.. But hey, there's nothing we can do. I'm just nice to everyone and give everyone a fair chance and friendship.

I am like this not because the government and bills and laws. I'm like this because it's my nature as an individual :)
  • Options
    sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    lolobugg said:

KV4053 said:

Why do we have 50 threads on this topic and the Springsteen forum only has one?

cause we are the 10club goddamn it.
    This.
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,486
    edited April 2016
    Larry Sanders, Season 2, Episode 14.
    Larry is PJ.
    Artie is Bruce.
    Some of us are Roseanne and Tom.
    Leno is Cyndi Lauper.
    Tim is the Bathroom Bill.
    I'm not sure who Hank is.
    Post edited by KV4053 on
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    edited April 2016
    riley540 said:

The government can't force people to get along. It has to start in the neighborhoods :) everyone is born into different situations and are brought up in different ways. Some people happen to be racist. That's ok, we can't force them to be different. Some people like the band creed.. But hey, there's nothing we can do. I'm just nice to everyone and give everyone a fair chance and friendship.

I am like this not because the government and bills and laws. I'm like this because it's my nature as an individual :)

It's not okay that some people "happen" to be racist. You say it as though they were born with it or like it's a simple matter of taste. And yes, of course there is something we can do. Good grief, apathy is strong in you.... or was this meant as a joke??
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    PJ_Soul said:

It's not okay that some people "happen" to be racist. You say it as though they were born with it or like it's a simple matter of taste. And yes, of course there is something we can do. Good grief, apathy is stong in you.... or was this meant as a joke??

https://youtu.be/tbud8rLejLM
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    Yeah, I'd like my money back too. By the time it processes it'll be over a week since the show was canceled and I wasn't given what I paid for months ago.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    edited April 2016
    jeffwalsh said:

PJ_Soul said:

It's not okay that some people "happen" to be racist. You say it as though they were born with it or like it's a simple matter of taste. And yes, of course there is something we can do. Good grief, apathy is stong in you.... or was this meant as a joke??

https://youtu.be/tbud8rLejLM
    Yeah well being overly sensitive is no good either. No one should ever cry racist unjustifiably.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,455

Yes, the problem for me is that all the best bands are liberal :)

It's an age-old tension. Most artists, including rock musicians, are liberals. Most rock fans are white males, who are disproportionately conservative.

It reminds me of Kurt Cobain's observation that the same guys who used to bully him in high school started showing up in the front rows at Nirvana shows after they became big.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,770
    It makes perfectly good sense to me that artists in general are more often liberal. For example, who has time for war when you're creating something artistic? Creative people tend to want to bring people together whereas conservatives tend more toward keeping people separate (yes, there are exceptions to this, but I'm speaking in generalities- look at border and immigration issues.) And this: there are few other fields in which a person will practically starve to death before they give up what they do for a living. Creativity is more important than finances and people who are heavily focused on money tend to be more conservative.

In making these statements, I am not passing any judgements, I'm just stating what generally is the case with regard to the subject.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,455
    It also has something to do with artists being non-conformists. A non-conformist will tend to reject traditional ideas about social norms and forms of expression. Conservatism seeks to preserve and maintain traditional social norms and forms of expression.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options

Sad thing is...there are perverts who dress up like women and go into the womens bathrooms just to sneak a peak and maybe even thinking of attempting possibly much worse. They are not lgbt or whatever, they are psychos. So until someone comes up with a better solution, this ban might make a tiny bit of sense. Obviously something must have been happening somewhere for them to even consider making it a law. I dunno ??

Bottom line is some people SUCK and as long as this earth spins some people will always SUCK.

None of us will ever change the world in ridding it of people who suck.

If you have a penis...piss with the men. If you have a vagina...piss with the men or the women. Men will piss with any gender...lol

Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited April 2016

Sad thing is...there are perverts who dress up like women and go into the womens bathrooms just to sneak a peak and maybe even thinking of attempting possibly much worse. They are not lgbt or whatever, they are psychos. So until someone comes up with a better solution, this ban might make a tiny bit of sense. Obviously something must have been happening somewhere for them to even consider making it a law. I dunno ??

Bottom line is some people SUCK and as long as this earth spins some people will always SUCK.

None of us will ever change the world in ridding it of people who suck.

If you have a penis...piss with the men. If you have a vagina...piss with the men or the women. Men will piss with any gender...lol

No explaining away this law, sorry. It's discriminatory bullshit. What's happening is people can't tolerate people who they perceive as remarkably different from themselves. Nobody has to wear a disguise to walk into the opposite gender's restroom and be a fucking perv. And not every weirdo out there is exclusively perving on the opposite sex either.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,146
    edited April 2016

Sad thing is...there are perverts who dress up like women and go into the womens bathrooms just to sneak a peak and maybe even thinking of attempting possibly much worse. They are not lgbt or whatever, they are psychos. S

Please enlighten me, how big of a problem do you really think this is, or would be?

If americans really find this to be such a big problem that they had to have a law against it, I'm starting to understand why americans think they have to be able to own and carry around automatic weapons for some weird, medieval kind of protection.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,987
    edited April 2016

Sad thing is...there are perverts who dress up like women and go into the womens bathrooms just to sneak a peak and maybe even thinking of attempting possibly much worse. They are not lgbt or whatever, they are psychos.

proof?

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,526
    aaaaaannnnnnd the Fonze sticks the landing.
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871

aaaaaannnnnnd the Fonze sticks the landing.

Yeah, kinda time to let this one die.
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    My friend who cancelled his trip had Raleigh and Columbia tix. His extra columbia was for a fellow 10Cer who put in for Columbia and was one of the 1 in 100 who didn't get them. My buddy sent a email explaining the situation to the 10c asking to make an exception and transfer his tix so his friend could pick them up and she would be able to go to the show.

10c response....1 word. "Sorry"

"There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    so? the rules are written pretty clearly.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,558
    jordn6971 said:

My friend who cancelled his trip had Raleigh and Columbia tix. His extra columbia was for a fellow 10Cer who put in for Columbia and was one of the 1 in 100 who didn't get them. My buddy sent a email explaining the situation to the 10c asking to make an exception and transfer his tix so his friend could pick them up and she would be able to go to the show.

10c response....1 word. "Sorry"

Yeah. Typical large corporation type behavior.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,558
    ComeToTX said:

so? the rules are written pretty clearly.

I asked for a refund because I wasn't taking a whole week off for just one show (Columbia). I had planned to go to both Raleigh and Columbia until they canceled on their fans in Raleigh. I didn't expect to get a refund but at least wanted to make a point (one that will not get a second read I know) that they can cancel on 15,000 people they sold tickets to, but somehow still think that their ticket rules still apply. Those who set the rules control the rules.
  • Options
    Yeah, I get it. Trust me I was bummed to get on a plane for 1 show instead of 2. Like others have said they have a monopoly on PJ shows...
  • Options
    CF31525CF31525 Posts: 46
    Having attended both Hampton and Columbia, am I remembering correctly that Eddie never gave his normal kudos to Jeff and Stone? Could it be that J&S forced the Raleigh cancellation? It doesn't matter at this point, but Jeff obviously wrote the letter that was posted to the site.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,486
    CF31525 said:

Having attended both Hampton and Columbia, am I remembering correctly that Eddie never gave his normal kudos to Jeff and Stone? Could it be that J&S forced the Raleigh cancellation? It doesn't matter at this point, but Jeff obviously wrote the letter that was posted to the site.

No offense, but I hate the conspiracy talk
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    CF31525 said:

I would doubt this very much.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Jeff and Stone are a bunch of A holes :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,770
    I can see this morphing into one of those "It's Stone's Fault" threads with a twist.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Stoned again. Damn!
  • Options
    vest71vest71 Posts: 239
    edited April 2016
    being from Denmark and knowing that throughout the years we have adopted a lot of stupid political ideas from USA ( cutbacks on social benefits, health insurances and involving in wars for the wrong reasons and so on ) I certainly hope this law is one that our politicians thinks is so stupid it has to be a joke .... first thing comes to mind: who is checkking ? read a story about a transgender who "broke" the law by going to the ladies room, and i don,t know again, but in denmark female bathrooms have stalls so is there a guard checkking before entering ?
    I love you guys but you really have to stand up against stupid rightwing politicians who are afraid of anything that they can't put in their small box and label as "normal".
    Post edited by vest71 on
    Burn my eyes and try to blind me
    Bury me so they won't find me
    Try to suck my power empty
    Got no crown of thorns on me
  • Options
    Well...

After much discussion and reflection by many here... I think I know what would have been best in this situation:

The concert should have gone ahead. Backspacer should have been played in its entirety- Ole as the encore.

Message sent. Contractual expectations met.
    "My brain's a good brain!"