Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    I think PJ chose that the pr boost they get from taking the easy route of cancelling as opposed to a concert where you donate proceeds (and requires your time and effort) in the long run helps them financially. i think PJ gains more national and global attention as a band that fights for the rights of LGBT community as opposed to really trying to change the law. It comes down to the bottom line. This was a financial decision. and they did what in the long run was best for their financial situation.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955
    edited April 2016
    There are lots of sponsors. Like every festival.

Also does Shell sponsor it every year? Its possible they committed before the sponsors were lined up.

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,577
    there was 1 main sponsor. Shell Oil.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    pjtaper said:

I haven't had time to comment on this, because I was FLYING to Charlotte to see 2 Pearl Jam and 2 Panic shows... Since Pearl Jam took the punk bitch way out and canceled Raleigh, we saw a killer Widespread Panic show in Chattanooga instead... I will probably never see Pearl jam again, I have lost every inch of respect they have earned over the last 20 years and 150+ shows I've seen... I am disgusted. I wish the 10club would allow us to cancel our tickets as easily as they can a concert, because I no longer want my 10C wrigley or telluride ticket. DO NOT PM OR MESSAGE ME, THEY WILL NOT TRANSFER IT!!! I will also be selling most of the shit I've collected over the 20+ years I've been following them. Benaroya, EMEK Santa Barbara, it's all getting evacuated... I've faced it, a life wasted, I'm never going back again.

This makes me sad but it is what it is. I hope that your anger/frustration with the band will not keep you from ensuring that the treasures you have in your collection get into the hands of fans of teh band.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited April 2016

Also does Shell sponsor it every year? Its possible they committed before the sponsors were lined up.

Another good point.
    I'm sure they didn't love that Shell sponsored it, but obviously they have a line drawn when it comes to fest sponsors and not playing fests. That is perfectly okay IMO, because I don't think the band has to be morally perfect. They're just a group of guys doing their best in a complicated industry and world, not Jesus Christ. Hey, I felt a little disappointed when they played that private Oracle show, but geez, I got over it. I understand they have to just try and balance things and do their best, just like we all do.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

They signed on to be main sponsor a couple years ago for a 5 year contract. So yea, they knew. They just chose to accept the money from the greedy corporation they pretend to be against.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Why does an oil company sponsor a music festival?

ll the fans run out and fill up at Shell gas stations after the show?
  • Options
    Its gotten to the point where some people are still so mad, I'm kinda happy they cancelled it.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    MayDay10 said:

Most large corps do this stuff as part of their contribution to communities. It's no more complicated than that. Of course they do it in order to try and hold some kind of good standing in the minds of masses, and to try and place themselves at the top of the "contributing positively to society" heap among corps. Same reason banks sponsor sporting events, same reason there are corporate sponsors for non-profits. They contribute to society in order to try and maintain a reputation that isn't entirely evil. It's helps to draw in investors (not people at the pumps, who only care about convenience and prices), it helps to reduce kickback from various parties, etc. Corporate responsibility.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    MayDay10 said:

Because Oil Companies almost destroyed the Gulf Coast a few years ago.
    it is simply a PR move to get back in good with the citizens of NOLA where many people depend on the gulf for their jobs and livelihood.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

MayDay10 said:

Most large corps do this stuff as part of their contribution to communities. It's no more complicated than that. Of course they do it in order to try and hold some kind of good standing in the minds of masses, and to try and place themselves at the top of the "contributing positively to society" heap among corps. Same reason banks sponsor sporting events, same reason there are corporate sponsors for non-profits. They contribute to society in order to try and maintain a reputation that isn't entirely evil. It's helps to draw in investors (not people at the pumps, who only care about convenience and prices), it helps to reduce kickback from various parties, etc. Corporate responsibility.
    Wrong...its advertising.
  • Options
    or it can be both
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:

As for the sponsors for events they play... they have never fought that fight. Fest sponsors have never been something they addressed, so why would they start now? Just because they have never fought that fight, it doesn't mean they can't fight any fight ever.

https://youtu.be/xu3yX8OnCFc

I don't know if DPZ was a sponsor or just a vendor, but Eddie Vedder literally gave them the fucking finger!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

As for the sponsors for events they play... they have never fought that fight. Fest sponsors have never been something they addressed, so why would they start now? Just because they have never fought that fight, it doesn't mean they can't fight any fight ever.

I don't know if DPZ was a sponsor or just a vendor, but Eddie Vedder literally gave them the fucking finger!
    Yea...not the same band anymore obviously. Money and fame changes people.
  • Options
    JP Losman said:

dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

I saw a photo where EV was in front of a Shell logo showing attitude about it. Doesn't matter either way. In both cases they played the show.
  • Options
    JP Losman said:

PJ_Soul said:

MayDay10 said:

Wrong...its advertising.
    Well, okay that too. But as Tim said, it's both, but I would argue it's still more for investors than consumers. Social responsibility has become a major factor for investors, since they all want to appear responsible as well (I don't mean that as a positive comment btw. It's all just bullshit in the end).
  • Options
    mandarine65mandarine65 Posts: 133
    pjtaper said:

I didn't miss it, they canceled it. I spent a lot of money and flew across the country, THEY DIDN'T SHOW UP!!!! Laugh all you want, that'll help your karma

First, you technically just lost your money to do the Raleigh-Columbia trip and the hotel in Raleigh since you were at the Columbia show.
    Two, you had the chance to have enough money to flew across the country and do that over the years since you saw 150 shows.
    Three, you saw the band 150 times!

I feel for the people in NC who never saw Pearl Jam and among these, those who never had the money to travel some place else.
    I feel for those who never saw Pearl Jam and for whom it was the only possibility to see the band, for the first time ever.
    I feel for those who never saw Pearl Jam and flew over to Raleigh to see that show and only that show.
    I would be so disappointed if I were in their shoes. But you know what, most of these guys are not the one who have been bitching on the forum for over a week now. Some did and, again, I understand their disappointment. Some just suck it up and some changed plans and made their dream possible like this guy I met in the line, who just drove over because that's all his daughter wanted for her birthday.

But no, most of the bitching is coming from 30-40 year olds who just happen to see the band x times a year, each year and feel the band owes something for their devotion or whatever. Can't you just get over it, seriously, one cancelled show over 150, for political reasons from a politically involved band? That's just plain ridiculous and laughable, yeah! So does selling a record for $7500!
    Good riddance from the TC!
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 284
    JP Losman said:

As does age, experience, and maturity. I'm not rich or famous, but I'm quite different than I was 20 years ago. To blame the fact that they aren't the same anymore as they were in 1993 simply because of money and fame is quite shortsighted.

1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    dh280236 said:

Global warming is a myth and Eddie Vedder is a shill for the New World Order.

No
    Its been clearly stated on here that Eddie is part of the illuminati
  • Options
    mandarine65mandarine65 Posts: 133
    seanwon said:

JP Losman said:

As does age, experience, and maturity. I'm not rich or famous, but I'm quite different than I was 20 years ago. To blame the fact that they aren't the same anymore as they were in 1993 simply because of money and fame is quite shortsighted.

Especially since they were rich and famous from the very start of the band!
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    All I know is that after this I will never travel to see this band again. It's a shame.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,577
    It's only a shame for you...and you're deciding to do it.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

It's only a shame for you...and you're deciding to do it.

I'll see them if they come to my hometown. But I won't spend money and make plans ahead of time. Trust me my money is their loss
  • Options

Sad thing is...there are perverts who dress up like women and go into the womens bathrooms just to sneak a peak and maybe even thinking of attempting possibly much worse. They are not lgbt or whatever, they are psychos.

proof?

I'm not sure where you live but if you really need proof this happens, here's one case of a million.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQyufegqvMAhVhCcAKHbzRCkAQFggqMAQ&url=http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/04/01/california-man-dressed-woman-busted-videoing-womens-bathroom/&usg=AFQjCNE2Ppvfn3RT9pXxjE03Kh0z_K5-qA
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options

Sad thing is...there are perverts who dress up like women and go into the womens bathrooms just to sneak a peak and maybe even thinking of attempting possibly much worse. They are not lgbt or whatever, they are psychos.

proof?

This also happened where I once worked. It was ten years or so ago, a guy dressed as a woman was masturbating in a stall in the woman's restroom while several women were in there using it. And we all knew the guy, he worked there too but we never knew he was a cross dresser until the day he got caught.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029

proof?

This also happened where I once worked. It was ten years or so ago, a guy dressed as a woman was masturbating in a stall in the woman's restroom while several women were in there using it. And we all knew the guy, he worked there too but we never knew he was a cross dresser until the day he got caught.
    He's a pervert and NOT a transgender...
  • Options
    Okay the numbers are in...the estimates are that PJ cancellation cost the state and local businesses 60K. Do you think that economic hurt was worth it?

Also, I was at the protests today. and the sentiment among protesters and the activists including people in leadership positions that I spoke to (since I cared about the topic) was that PJ playing and raising money would have made a much bigger impact. I ran into a couple disappointed PJ fans who hoped that PJ would return immediately if the bill was repealed but nobody was optimistic about it.

One funny thing about the protests was that the legalize pot people chose today too for their protests, which was bad timing as they got not attention and also they seemed very disorganized. They came off as stoner stereotypes, which I thought was funny.
  • Options
    JP Losman said:

Okay the numbers are in...the estimates are that PJ cancellation cost the state and local businesses 60K. Do you think that economic hurt was worth it?

Also, I was at the protests today. and the sentiment among protesters and the activists including people in leadership positions that I spoke to (since I cared about the topic) was that PJ playing and raising money would have made a much bigger impact. I ran into a couple disappointed PJ fans who hoped that PJ would return immediately if the bill was repealed but nobody was optimistic about it.

One funny thing about the protests was that the legalize pot people chose today too for their protests, which was bad timing as they got not attention and also they seemed very disorganized. They came off as stoner stereotypes, which I thought was funny.

I still flew in and spent money in NC. Bad move by the band. Screwed the fans when they could have done something positive.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113

Its gotten to the point where some people are still so mad, I'm kinda happy they cancelled it.

There have been some really bad things said in this thread... And yet you topped them all. Way to go.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    they should def come back and play a free show if/when the bill is repealed or struck down.
    i still support their decision though.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore