Options

North Carolina passes bill blocking LGBT protections

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    mickeyrat said:

its gets worse before it gets better unfortunately.

maybe starting this bathroom sharing non-sense has blown up in their faces, most would have left good enough alone.

Godfather.

• Options

callen said:

It's the conservative Christians bringing this shit up now. Blaming Obama and Feds feels better though I'm sure.

Everything is President Obama's fault
    .........I thought it was Bush's fault LOL !!!!!

Godfather.

• Options
    did anybody not see this coming ? did you think the other 70% of humans would just accept this and go about their merry way ? that's not how the human mind works but nobody ever thinks about that when they force something on the larger majority of people.

Godfather.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555

callen said:

It's the conservative Christians bringing this shit up now. Blaming Obama and Feds feels better though I'm sure.

Everything is President Obama's fault
    .........I thought it was Bush's fault LOL !!!!!

Godfather.

Who?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited June 2016

did anybody not see this coming ? did you think the other 70% of humans would just accept this and go about their merry way ? that's not how the human mind works but nobody ever thinks about that when they force something on the larger majority of people.

Godfather.

People have no problem accepting it in Canada as far as I can tell. Seems like the human mind is perfectly capable of handling it. Just not some bigotted minds maybe, or simple minds that can't process change well.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

People have no problem accepting it in Canada as far as I can tell. Seems like the human mind is perfectly capable of handling it. Just not some bigotted minds maybe, or simple minds that can't process change well.
    OH CANADA
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

I doubt what you claim is true but if that's what you believe that's cool.

Godfather.

• Options
    edited June 2016

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Not en masse they don't. Sure there are still some bigots around, but they have no power whatsoever and no one cares, and the government doesn't support bigotry because of the law and and the Charter of Rights (not to mention common sense and knowing that it would lose them an election). That counts for all parties btw. The Conservatives weren't so open as accepting as the other parties, but a bit to their credit, they still certainly never had any thought to try and restrict civil rights, and our politicians, even the fundamentalist like PM Harper, keep their religious biases and personal bigotry out of government, just like they are supposed to do. Even our right wingers look left next to many Republicans, lol.

Here is what's happening in Canada without controversy outside of people trolling Facebook threads. No media storm, no crazy politicians ranting about God, no angry mobs screaming about families, nothing. It's just happening and the majority of people are glad. Those who aren't are bitching on social media to no avail. BTW, I am saying this stuff to prove that acceptance IS possible, since GF thinks what's happening in the US is natural.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/trudeau-transgender-rights-1.3584482

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/trudeau-pride-flag-parliament-hill-1.3610866

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited June 2016
    class="Quote" rel="rustneversleeps">
    PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

OH CANADA

I wish I knew how to make one of those guys rolling on the floor laughing!!! Hahaha
  • Options
    Yeah yeah. Look, I'm not some flag waving moron. All i'm doing is holding up examples from a country very similar to the US is many ways to show that all of this isn't inevitable in the US. It's not how it has to be. Another way is very possible. People are capable of it, but only if the government does its job properly, and the supreme court judges do theirs.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Not en masse they don't. Sure there are still some bigots around, but they have no power whatsoever and no one cares, and the government doesn't support bigotry because of the law and and the Charter of Rights (not to mention common sense and knowing that it would lose them an election). That counts for all parties btw. The Conservatives weren't so open as accepting as the other parties, but a bit to their credit, they still certainly never had any thought to try and restrict civil rights, and our politicians, even the fundamentalist like PM Harper, keep their religious biases and personal bigotry out of government, just like they are supposed to do. Even our right wingers look left next to many Republicans, lol.

Here is what's happening in Canada without controversy outside of people trolling Facebook threads. No media storm, no crazy politicians ranting about God, no angry mobs screaming about families, nothing. It's just happening and the majority of people are glad. Those who aren't are bitching on social media to no avail. BTW, I am saying this stuff to prove that acceptance IS possible, since GF thinks what's happening in the US is natural.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/trudeau-pride-flag-parliament-hill-1.3610866

Yeah, yeah, because we always need to pass laws when everything is going just fine:

statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2014001/article/14028-eng.htm
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Yeah, yeah, because we always need to pass laws when everything is going just fine:

I'm having trouble finding your point?
  • Options
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

My point is that let's just agree to fight bigotry everywhere it exists, instead of bashing America as the only place where it exists. Yes, we do have our own unique breed of yahoos here, but every society has its version of that sub-culture, including Canada. Congratulations, Canada is passing some enlightened laws about gay rights. So have many states in America, and so, too, has our Supreme Court confirmed them as Constitutional. That is a major cause to celebrate here in the grand ole USA. Sorry, but our Supreme Court didn't need to learn any "lessons from Canada" to do what is right. I'm sure the judges didn't sit around and say, "Hmmm, I wonder what Canada would do?" as they deliberated our Constitution and our federal system. The ensuing backlash in the states was expected, as there is always a backlash every time marginalized groups make ground. The courts will continue to work it out, and with last summer's precedent, I expect the LGBT community to be in equal legal standing in every regard in due time. But we know there is the law, and then there are people. If you look at one of the charts in the link I posted, Hamilton seems like it's got quite its share of Canadian yahoos. They are everywhere.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

My point is that let's just agree to fight bigotry everywhere it exists, instead of bashing America as the only place where it exists. Yes, we do have our own unique breed of yahoos here, but every society has its version of that sub-culture, including Canada. Congratulations, Canada is passing some enlightened laws about gay rights. So have many states in America, and so, too, has our Supreme Court confirmed them as Constitutional. That is a major cause to celebrate here in the grand ole USA. Sorry, but our Supreme Court didn't need to learn any "lessons from Canada" to do what is right. I'm sure the judges didn't sit around and say, "Hmmm, I wonder what Canada would do?" as they deliberated our Constitution and our federal system. The ensuing backlash in the states was expected, as there is always a backlash every time marginalized groups make ground. The courts will continue to work it out, and with last summer's precedent, I expect the LGBT community to be in equal legal standing in every regard in due time. But we know there is the law, and then there are people. If you look at one of the charts in the link I posted, Hamilton seems like it's got quite its share of Canadian yahoos. They are everywhere.
    I smell what you're cooking now. Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

what I got out of it was " it wasn't broke so why try to fix it" ? to which I agree.

Godfather.

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    supreme court and the US? ... i suggest people watch the documentary about prop 8 ... then tell me the US has it all under control ... the biggest difference between the US and Canada in this matter is acceptance ... we aren't perfect up here by any stretch but when it comes to equality and acceptance of people of different cultures, religions, gender and sexual orientation ... we are light years ahead ...
  • Options
    yeah the US is a swinging door as well and it got us an attack on 9/11 and others.

Godfather.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555

yeah the US is a swinging door as well and it got us an attack on 9/11 and others.

Godfather.

Seriously??!!

You just equated 9/11 with a transgendered person using the bathroom of their choice??!!

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Godfather.

Seriously??!!

You just equated 9/11 with a transgendered person using the bathroom of their choice??!!

Murica.
    Freedom.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,852

Godfather.

no, pretty sure its cuz of benghazi.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Godfather.

Seriously??!!

no.

Godfather.

• Options
    I think he's trying to say that 9/11 happened because America is too accepting of people. :lol:
  • Options
    we need to be more like canada, eh...
  • Options

Don't you think that America and Americans would benefit from being more open to equal rights?
    (you've made your point btw. No need to keep acting butt hurt every time I hold up an example from Canada that the US might benefit from)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Don't you think that America and Americans would benefit from being more open to equal rights?
    (you've made your point btw. No need to keep acting butt hurt every time I hold up an example from Canada that the US might benefit from)
    only if we approach it exactly like canada. WWCD?
  • Options

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

what I got out of it was " it wasn't broke so why try to fix it" ? to which I agree.

Godfather.

Nowhere near what I meant. (for the record)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

EVERYBODY could benefit from being more open to equal rights!!!! No fucking kidding. But do you realize how diverse this country is???? I will stop getting butt hurt (no pun intended) when you quit painting such broad strokes about "America" and "Americans" as though we have a single homogeneous culture (no pun intended again). It's an obnoxious, unhelpful way to frame a problem, especially a problem that isn't even yours to begin with over there in your utopian Vancouver. Have you ever even been to North Carolina? What the hell do you know about its people if you've never met a single one???
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

EVERYBODY could benefit from being more open to equal rights!!!! No fucking kidding. But do you realize how diverse this country is???? I will stop getting butt hurt (no pun intended) when you quit painting such broad strokes about "America" and "Americans" as though we have a single homogeneous culture (no pun intended again). It's an obnoxious, unhelpful way to frame a problem, especially a problem that isn't even yours to begin with over there in your utopian Vancouver. Have you ever even been to North Carolina? What the hell do you know about its people if you've never met a single one???
    i love what dreams.... OH CANADA!!!!
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

I actually don't think any of that at all. Not even a tiny bit, and I have never once made a single comment about the people and what they are like in NC. You are COMPLETELY reading into what I'm saying incorrectly.

BTW, I am not really a big fan of Vancouver.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I actually don't think any of that at all. Not even a tiny bit, and I have never once made a single comment about the people and what they are like in NC. You are COMPLETELY reading into what I'm saying incorrectly.

BTW, I am not really a big fan of Vancouver.
    dont kid yourself....