Options

North Carolina passes bill blocking LGBT protections

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited May 2016

I was just making a point that discrimination is a double edge knife, if you say for instance that not allowing a transgender to use a bathroom to his or hers liking is discrimination then I am well within my right to call you out for the same because I'm not comfortable with that choice that you are trying to force on me....there for you are discriminating against me.

Godfather.

Ridiculous, and the same thing as saying "I am not comfortable sharing a washroom with a black person because I am a racist, so you are discriminating against me by not having "coloured washrooms". LITERALLY the same thing GF.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

BS44325 said:

Man chokes little girl in bathroom...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-man-accused-of-choking-girl-8-in-south-loop-store-20160513-story.html

Certain safe spaces for women should be maintained

What point do you think this story makes that's relevant to this thread, to LGBT issues, or even to "safe spaces"?
    Good question.
    The answer is necessarily that it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread or the LGBT issue we're talking about.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

mace1229 said:

Who the hell is discriminating against white males? That's what is laughable.

I'm assuming your a white male based only on your position on this topic and your support for trump.

A lot of people do actually. Even Ben Folds agrees, doesn't he have a song about that? Anyway, the head of HR at my work has openly stated multiple times that he encourages the hiring of females and non-whites, so we can appear more PC. He has said "I tell management to hire the non-white candidate if there is the option" and also added to hire females or people over 40 for the same reason. Never said that he wishes we had more diversity or better applicants, but simply to hire the non-white candidate if there is a choice.
    My previous employer has said something very similar as well. Both were government funded public positions too. But for some reason that is okay, and neither had any fear in openly stating it multiple times (even though neither were white themselves).
    Not that this has anything to do with LGBT rights, but since it was brought up...
    Well, if Ben folds says it....

Do you know why companies have equal opportunity employer programs? Because whites got ALL of the jobs for centuries.
    no, the most qualified get the jobs......unless your a minority, wake up my friend.
    I was told once that if I were a minority or a woman I would have got the job, that's no bullshit
    so the whites only get the jobs don't fly with me.

Godfather.

So, for 180 years, whites got all the jobs regardless of who was more qualified. Sucks to be a white man in the 21st century. Doesn't it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6CmzT4OV-w0
    I will not reply as I would if we were discussing this topic in person, remember PC is the law of the land here.

Godfather.

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:
    Very glad about this.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:
    Very glad about this.
    Agree
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Woman mistaken for transgender harassed in Walmart bathroom

“After experiencing the discrimination they face firsthand, I cannot fathom the discrimination transgender people must face in a lifetime,” she said. “Can you imagine going out every day and having people tell you you should not be who you are or that people will not accept you as who you are?”

http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Woman-mistaken-for-transgender-harassed-in-7471666.php

• Options
    ^^^ Fucking outrageous.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    its gets worse before it gets better unfortunately.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    It's disgusting what this stupid law is going to do. Create a problem where none existed, created fear and anger where non existed.

It will eventually lead to assault and potentially a fatality, but it won't be a little boy or girl hurt by a transgendered. It will be a transgendered hurt by an idiot. When it happens, I hope they sue the governor personally for inciting violence
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Wife shared a post on adbook that is drop the mic truth.

Dear creepy heterosexual men guarding our bathrooms,

My entire life, I've been told to fear you in one way or another. I've been told to cover my body as to not distract you in school, to cover my body to help avoid unwanted advances or comments, to cover my body as to not tempt you to sexually assault me, to reject your unwanted advances politely as to not anger you. I've been taught to never walk alone at night, to hold my keys in my fist while walking in parking lots, to check the backseat of my car, to not drink too much because you might take advantage of me. I've been told what I should and shouldn't do with my body as to not jeopardize my relationships with you.

I've been warned not to emasculate you, to let "boys be boys", to protect your fragile ego and to not tread on your even more fragile masculinity. I've been taught to keep my emotions in check, to let you be the unit of measure for how much emotion is appropriate and to adjust my emotions accordingly. I've been taught that you're allowed to categorize women into mothers/sisters/girlfriends/wives/daughters but any woman outside of your protected categories is fair game.

So to those of you who think you're being helpful by "protecting" me and my fellow women, you're like a shark sitting in the Lifeguard chair. I wasn't uncomfortable until you showed up at the pool and the only potential predator I see is you.

Your mothers, sisters, girlfriends, wives and daughters don't need you to walk them to the bathroom for safety. Your fathers, brothers, friends and sons need to walk themselves away from their own double standards. Women are sexually harassed and sexually assaulted on school campuses, on the street, at their jobs, on the Internet, in their own homes, in ANY public place. And it has been excused or ignored for so long because of what you and I are taught from the first years of our interactions with each other: You, as a male, are not accountable for your own actions. It's MY responsibility, as a female, to not "provoke" you. But then you get to Knight-In-Shining-Armor your way through life for those in your protected categories and I am expected to applaud you. Why the outrage now over bathrooms? Why aren't you outraged every single day?

If you're telling me that there are high volumes of boys and men out there, in schools or in general, who are just waiting for a "loop hole" to sexually assault girls and women, we have bigger problems on our hands than bathrooms. The first problem would be your apparent lack of knowledge of how often it happens OUTSIDE of bathrooms, with no "loop holes" needed. This isn't about Transgender bathroom access. This is about you not trusting the boys and men in your communities and/or fearing that they're all secretly predators. Why do you have this fear? How many fathers have panicked when their daughters started dating because they "know how teenaged boys can be because they used to be one"? How many times have girls been warned "boys are only after one thing"? A mother can bring her young son into the women's restroom and that's fine but a father bringing his young daughter into the men's restroom is disturbing because men are assumed to be predators and "little girls" shouldn't be exposed to that.

So instead of picking up your sword and heading to Target or the girls' locker room to defend our "rights", why don't you start somewhere that could actually make a difference? Challenge your children's schools to end sexist dress codes and dress codes that sexualize girls as young as age 5. Advocate for proper (or any) sex education classes in all public schools by a certain grade level. Focus more on teaching your sons not to rape vs teaching your daughters how to avoid being raped. Stop asking "How would you feel if that was your mother or sister?" It shouldn't take the comparison to clue you in to what's right or wrong. Question why you're more worried about your daughter being around men than your son being around women in bathrooms and dressing rooms. Stop walking by Victoria's Secret with no problem but covering your son's eyes if a woman is breastfeeding in public. Stop treating your daughter's body as some fortress you're sworn to protect as if that's all she's got to offer the world.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    mickeyrat said:

Wife shared a post on adbook that is drop the mic truth.

Dear creepy heterosexual men guarding our bathrooms,

My entire life, I've been told to fear you in one way or another. I've been told to cover my body as to not distract you in school, to cover my body to help avoid unwanted advances or comments, to cover my body as to not tempt you to sexually assault me, to reject your unwanted advances politely as to not anger you. I've been taught to never walk alone at night, to hold my keys in my fist while walking in parking lots, to check the backseat of my car, to not drink too much because you might take advantage of me. I've been told what I should and shouldn't do with my body as to not jeopardize my relationships with you.

I've been warned not to emasculate you, to let "boys be boys", to protect your fragile ego and to not tread on your even more fragile masculinity. I've been taught to keep my emotions in check, to let you be the unit of measure for how much emotion is appropriate and to adjust my emotions accordingly. I've been taught that you're allowed to categorize women into mothers/sisters/girlfriends/wives/daughters but any woman outside of your protected categories is fair game.

So to those of you who think you're being helpful by "protecting" me and my fellow women, you're like a shark sitting in the Lifeguard chair. I wasn't uncomfortable until you showed up at the pool and the only potential predator I see is you.

Your mothers, sisters, girlfriends, wives and daughters don't need you to walk them to the bathroom for safety. Your fathers, brothers, friends and sons need to walk themselves away from their own double standards. Women are sexually harassed and sexually assaulted on school campuses, on the street, at their jobs, on the Internet, in their own homes, in ANY public place. And it has been excused or ignored for so long because of what you and I are taught from the first years of our interactions with each other: You, as a male, are not accountable for your own actions. It's MY responsibility, as a female, to not "provoke" you. But then you get to Knight-In-Shining-Armor your way through life for those in your protected categories and I am expected to applaud you. Why the outrage now over bathrooms? Why aren't you outraged every single day?

If you're telling me that there are high volumes of boys and men out there, in schools or in general, who are just waiting for a "loop hole" to sexually assault girls and women, we have bigger problems on our hands than bathrooms. The first problem would be your apparent lack of knowledge of how often it happens OUTSIDE of bathrooms, with no "loop holes" needed. This isn't about Transgender bathroom access. This is about you not trusting the boys and men in your communities and/or fearing that they're all secretly predators. Why do you have this fear? How many fathers have panicked when their daughters started dating because they "know how teenaged boys can be because they used to be one"? How many times have girls been warned "boys are only after one thing"? A mother can bring her young son into the women's restroom and that's fine but a father bringing his young daughter into the men's restroom is disturbing because men are assumed to be predators and "little girls" shouldn't be exposed to that.

So instead of picking up your sword and heading to Target or the girls' locker room to defend our "rights", why don't you start somewhere that could actually make a difference? Challenge your children's schools to end sexist dress codes and dress codes that sexualize girls as young as age 5. Advocate for proper (or any) sex education classes in all public schools by a certain grade level. Focus more on teaching your sons not to rape vs teaching your daughters how to avoid being raped. Stop asking "How would you feel if that was your mother or sister?" It shouldn't take the comparison to clue you in to what's right or wrong. Question why you're more worried about your daughter being around men than your son being around women in bathrooms and dressing rooms. Stop walking by Victoria's Secret with no problem but covering your son's eyes if a woman is breastfeeding in public. Stop treating your daughter's body as some fortress you're sworn to protect as if that's all she's got to offer the world.

:clap:
    thank you for sharing that!
    that is so beautiful!!!!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Nice post Mickey.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    WTF? Isn't is totally normal for dads to do that? I see it all the time. Same with little boys with their moms in the women's washroom. This is standard operating procedure.
  • Options
    ^^^
    Yes it is.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:
    WTF? Isn't is totally normal for dads to do that? I see it all the time. Same with little boys with their moms in the women's washroom. This is standard operating procedure.
    I take my 3 year old daughter to the men's bathroom all the time if she is with me. any small dick piece of shit that would have a problem with that can kiss my ass. and attacking a guy while he was with his kids. i hope they lock this piece of shit up with some good boys that will show him a good time in prison.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:
    There are some particularly good comments in the comments section below the article. Here's one I thought I would share, though perhaps it belongs in the gun thread instead:

US fatal shootings by Islamist terrorists, 2015: 16
    US fatal shootings by conservative terrorists, 2015: 14
    US fatal shootings by toddlers, 2015: 32

It looks to me like Islamic terrorism is, as it should be, pretty low on my personal threat matrix, “Conservatives” are having a really, really off year, and the toddler community is probably overdue for some monitoring and observation before it radicalizes.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Heard today two small towns , one in Tx the other in Az are crafting ordinances for their schools related to trans use of bathroom choice.

neither school system has any trans students.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Cons are acting like the State Dept memo started all this hubbub, of course they are lying and know it, it started with this bill and it shows how disingenuous the conservative movement is.
    That being said, the State Dept memo was an unnecessary fanning of the flames, why give them fuel for the fire when they have none to begin with.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Cons are acting like the State Dept memo started all this hubbub, of course they are lying and know it, it started with this bill and it shows how disingenuous the conservative movement is.
    That being said, the State Dept memo was an unnecessary fanning of the flames, why give them fuel for the fire when they have none to begin with.

you mean justice dept.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

you mean justice dept.
    Hahaha yes thank you, the browbeating over the email "scandal" is seeping into my brain lol
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    rgambs said:

Wrong!!! It started in Illinois, after Obama thought he could change Title IX on his own, without Congress .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/ill-group-sues-obama-administration-over-transgender-students-bathroom-access/2016/05/04/5c57ad12-1206-11e6-93ae-50921721165d_story.html
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

rgambs said:

Wrong!!! It started in Illinois, after Obama thought he could change Title IX on his own, without Congress .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/ill-group-sues-obama-administration-over-transgender-students-bathroom-access/2016/05/04/5c57ad12-1206-11e6-93ae-50921721165d_story.html
    So share what's your view in this? Birth certificate determines bathroom?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

rgambs said:

This story broke on May 4th, well after the NC silliness.
  • Options
    callen said:

So share what's your view in this? Birth certificate determines bathroom?

I don't care what bathroom anyone uses. We've been doing alright before all this BS started.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

This story broke on May 4th, well after the NC silliness.

Story might have been updated in May, once the lawsuit was filed. But this issue has been going on in Illinois since back in 2015.
  • Options
    It's the conservative Christians bringing this shit up now. Blaming Obama and Feds feels better though I'm sure.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    callen said:

It's the conservative Christians bringing this shit up now. Blaming Obama and Feds feels better though I'm sure.

Everything is President Obama's fault