North Carolina passes bill blocking LGBT protections

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

99.5% of Americans spent 2 seconds thinking of this issue in the last month.

Yeah, we get it. You think this is a silly non-issue. For others it is a big deal or at least interesting, so how about quit trying to be a wet blanket and either add to the discussion or move along. Thanks.
    It is a non issue. How many times have you heard the topic come up in conversation in the last two months? Even on a site where the band cancelled a show? Almost two months and nary a peep.
    Why do you care if other people care about this issue? Not enough to do today? Maybe still just a little butthurt that PJ cancelled a show? There are plenty of threads that go dormant for long periods of time, go be the wet blanket police on those threads.

Wait, nevermind.....someone thinks this thread is silly so I ask that the mods close it down immediately. Nothing more to add or see here folks, move along.

;)
    I am butthurt! Not really, since I didn't have tickets to the show, butt ... I would have been super mega butthurt if I did have tickets and they cancelled because of a "who gets to go to the bathroom" debate. I guarantee these debates do not go on in countries trying to stabilize a potable water network.

To me it's a "wait, what?" issue. Like finding out that a concert was canceled because the Doozers in Fraggle Rock were not getting equal pay. Technically, PJ could / should cancel just about every concert they have booked if they want to search said city for infractions against political correctness.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Yeah, we get it. You think this is a silly non-issue. For others it is a big deal or at least interesting, so how about quit trying to be a wet blanket and either add to the discussion or move along. Thanks.
    It is a non issue. How many times have you heard the topic come up in conversation in the last two months? Even on a site where the band cancelled a show? Almost two months and nary a peep.
    Why do you care if other people care about this issue? Not enough to do today? Maybe still just a little butthurt that PJ cancelled a show? There are plenty of threads that go dormant for long periods of time, go be the wet blanket police on those threads.

Wait, nevermind.....someone thinks this thread is silly so I ask that the mods close it down immediately. Nothing more to add or see here folks, move along.

;)
    I am butthurt! Not really, since I didn't have tickets to the show, butt ... I would have been super mega butthurt if I did have tickets and they cancelled because of a "who gets to go to the bathroom" debate. I guarantee these debates do not go on in countries trying to stabilize a potable water network.

To me it's a "wait, what?" issue. Like finding out that a concert was canceled because the Doozers in Fraggle Rock were not getting equal pay. Technically, PJ could / should cancel just about every concert they have booked if they want to search said city for infractions against political correctness.
    HB2 is not about political correctness ...

so, the machine has now made being "PC" the latest rallying point for the masses ... i dunno how many times i've read in the last while that people are tired of "PC" ... It's brilliant I suppose because it's working ... as with all the other tactics - conversation isn't really about the issue but rather some loosely related bogeyman ...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    hedonist said:

I like that story, gambo. There are open-minded people of all generations!

My question to this is, there are showers available for use after concerts?! I'd never heard of this.

The old fella said something about the government should be more concerned with painting yellow lines on the road or something like that, he clearly didn't support the law.

The showers were at the KOA campground, but venues should totally have showers! Clean up and wait for the crowd to disperse, I would totally use them.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Amusing story, I was at the east Asheville KOA to see Todd Snider during my mountain vacation, and the ladies' room was closed due to bad plumbing. I'm getting a shower after the show and an older fellow comes in and asks me to stay in the shower so his wife can use the toilet and not have to walk across the camp to the other.
    Sure, no problem.

She comes in, he jokes that I promised to give her a show, we all chuckle.
    He says, "you know, we have a government here that took the time to make a law that says this is illegal."
    He said a little more but I can't remember what because I was lost in thought about how these lovely retirees were literally breaking the law lol

You mean she didn't try and harm you in some way?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

;)

so, the machine has now made being "PC" the latest rallying point for the masses ... i dunno how many times i've read in the last while that people are tired of "PC" ... It's brilliant I suppose because it's working ... as with all the other tactics - conversation isn't really about the issue but rather some loosely related bogeyman ...
    HB2 is about a very small percentage of people arguing about a made up issue that some how gets entertainment groups deeming it is necessary to fuck over 99.5% of sane people living within the vicinity of state borders. Really? This is the first time that N.C. fucked up that bad to mandate a boycott???

And it should be considered a beacon of evolutionary achievement that we are now at a point where there is a discussion on where and who gets to poop. Shit is real.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Free said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Should PJ cancel too? Who has tix?

Who would this be punishing? You think PJ or Bruce canceling a concert means jack squat to a Billy Ray fan?

It's a huge message and I bet the people in power might be starting to get it. Actions have consequences.

Good for Bruce, this takes big balls.
    It's an extremely dumb message with the options Bruce has at his disposal. How about doing a free 60 minute acoustic set at a rally to raise awareness?

This will cause minimal economic impact to the local economy but will cause major economic impact to his fans who are the one that most likely agree with Bruce's views.

Dumb.
    This draws huge attention to the cause. Acoustic set wouldn't have done shit, this is action...walking the talk.

This isn't dumb, it's admirable.
    I agree. But I don't think PJ has the balls to do the same.
    Jason P said:

polaris_x said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

;)

HB2 is about a very small percentage of people arguing about a made up issue that some how gets entertainment groups deeming it is necessary to fuck over 99.5% of sane people living within the vicinity of state borders. Really? This is the first time that N.C. fucked up that bad to mandate a boycott???

And it should be considered a beacon of evolutionary achievement that we are now at a point where there is a discussion on where and who gets to poop. Shit is real.
    People who defend the bill focus on the bathroom issue in an attempt to distract attention from the fact that the bill is actually much worse than just deciding which toilet to use. It's easy to focus on the bathroom issue and then create propaganda that women and daughters are suddenly targets when the actual discriminatory aspect of the bill gets brushed aside.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

;)

I guarantee these debates don't go on in countries where bigoted laws aren't passed by government.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    edited September 2016
    eddiec said:

Free said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

Should PJ cancel too? Who has tix?

Who would this be punishing? You think PJ or Bruce canceling a concert means jack squat to a Billy Ray fan?

It's a huge message and I bet the people in power might be starting to get it. Actions have consequences.

Good for Bruce, this takes big balls.
    It's an extremely dumb message with the options Bruce has at his disposal. How about doing a free 60 minute acoustic set at a rally to raise awareness?

This will cause minimal economic impact to the local economy but will cause major economic impact to his fans who are the one that most likely agree with Bruce's views.

Dumb.
    This draws huge attention to the cause. Acoustic set wouldn't have done shit, this is action...walking the talk.

This isn't dumb, it's admirable.
    I agree. But I don't think PJ has the balls to do the same.
    Jason P said:

polaris_x said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

;)

People who defend the bill focus on the bathroom issue in an attempt to distract attention from the fact that the bill is actually much worse than just deciding which toilet to use. It's easy to focus on the bathroom issue and then create propaganda that women and daughters are suddenly targets when the actual discriminatory aspect of the bill gets brushed aside.
    thank you for saying what I wanted to.... the whole bathroom issue is just a distraction from the fact that the legislation strips personal rights from every North Carolinian and also dictates what the minimum wage is statewide. It is the worst bill ever put thru in our modern government. it sets this state back 50 years.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    well, I guess I thought they had some decency left. :anguished:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Yup, bastards. Or Facists. A scared of democracy.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    lolobugg said:
    This is some of the craziest shit I have read on here. Unbelievable that this could happen and that Republicans would think they can get away with this. And even more unbelievable that they probably will.
  • Options
    dignin said:

lolobugg said:
    This is some of the craziest shit I have read on here. Unbelievable that this could happen and that Republicans would think they can get away with this. And even more unbelievable that they probably will.
    Anyone seeing any parallels to fascism yet? Someone should ask Trump his thoughts on what's going on in NC. Willing to bet his answer would be: state's rights. Or maybe NC is beautiful, so kind, so kind?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    "Indeed, the consensus in North Carolina political circles is that no power-stripping maneuver has been as brazen as this one."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/12/16/amid-growing-outcry-nc-gop-pushes-forward-with-plan-to-curb-democratic-govs-power/?utm_term=.5e64bbe8dc7d

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited December 2016
    I had to drive 95 south through the length of NC to get to my SC beach destination yesterday, a frequent trip in fact. The billboards tell it all: Every five miles or so, a religious, God-Will-Save-You billboard, followed closely by a billboard advertising a Titty Bar Sex Shop catering to men, women, AND couples. All up and down 95 in NC, you can stop in at the Lion's Den to meet all your (heterosexual?) fetishes and then call 1-800-TRUTH to pray about it afterward. Such a bizarre marketing message on the NC billboards that you don't see north of the border. It begins in NC and then makes its way south on 95. So bizarre!!
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648

I had to drive 95 south through the length of NC to get to my SC beach destination yesterday, a frequent trip in fact. The billboards tell it all: Every five miles or so, a religious, God-Will-Save-You billboard, followed closely by a billboard advertising a Titty Bar Sex Shop catering to men, women, AND couples. All up and down 95 in NC, you can stop in at the Lion's Den to meet all your (heterosexual?) fetishes and then call 1-800-TRUTH to pray about it afterward. Such a bizarre marketing message on the NC billboards that you don't see north of the border. It begins in NC and then makes its way south on 95. So bizarre!!

Sounds like a lot of Southern states. It's what happens when you repress yourselves.
  • Options
    So Charlotte repeals their ordinance, and the Gov trusts that NC republicans will repeal the state law in the deal. Interesting.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

So Charlotte repeals their ordinance, and the Gov trusts that NC republicans will repeal the state law in the deal. Interesting.

I don't trust them but I hope they do repeal this and save the taxpayers a lot of time/money in court.
    McCrory has already wasted enough with this recount nonsense.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    So the party that likes to lecture and shame others about responsibilty and morality fail to come through with their end of the deal. Shocker.
  • Options
    MeanMr.MustardMeanMr.Mustard TBA Posts: 127
    http://heatst.com/culture-wars/lgbt-groups-protest-fedex-over-nra-discount/

good grief !..........the sick and twisted protesting and banning Fed-Ex over an NRA discount ?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310

good grief !..........the sick and twisted protesting and banning Fed-Ex over an NRA discount ?

This is a free country no ? We are allowed to protest anything or anyone we feel like ! Oh don't you worry once your hero Bafoon takes office you will be nice & safe all the brown people will be dealt with ..Guns for everyone that's the American way !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

Another one of the "pro freedom of speech unless I disagree with your opinion" crowd.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

https://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    bill fails to be repealed ...
  • Options
    MeanMr.MustardMeanMr.Mustard TBA Posts: 127

This is a free country no ? We are allowed to protest anything or anyone we feel like ! Oh don't you worry once your hero Bafoon takes office you will be nice & safe all the brown people will be dealt with ..Guns for everyone that's the American way !
    you're right it is a free country, the free people of this country voted Trump into office, the free people of this country accept and defend the 2nd amendment, the free people of this country happen to be white, brown, black and yellow....Guns and freedom for everybody ! unless you are a criminal here illegally then you should be deported or imprisoned and yes it's the American way not the illegal immigrant way and no not everybody should be accepted for American citizenship.

so yes my friend you are right, it is a free country and as such it's my right to protest illegal immigration, gay marriage and anti gun activist's
    or anything else I find offensive....right ?

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

you're right it is a free country, the free people of this country voted Trump into office, the free people of this country accept and defend the 2nd amendment, the free people of this country happen to be white, brown, black and yellow....Guns and freedom for everybody ! unless you are a criminal here illegally then you should be deported or imprisoned and yes it's the American way not the illegal immigrant way and no not everybody should be accepted for American citizenship.

so yes my friend you are right, it is a free country and as such it's my right to protest illegal immigration, gay marriage and anti gun activist's
    or anything else I find offensive....right ?
    Yes, these are your rights. So long as you don't get the definitions confused:

noun
    1. that which is morally correct, just, or honorable.
    "she doesn't understand the difference between right and wrong"
    synonyms: goodness, righteousness, virtue, integrity, rectitude, propriety, morality, truth, honesty, honor, justice, fairness, equity; More

2. a moral or legal entitlement to have or obtain something or to act in a certain way.
    "she had every right to be angry"
    synonyms: entitlement, prerogative, privilege, advantage, due, birthright, liberty, authority, power, license, permission, dispensation, leave, sanction, freedom
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020