North Carolina passes bill blocking LGBT protections

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited June 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

we need to be more like canada, eh...

Don't you think that America and Americans would benefit from being more open to equal rights?
    (you've made your point btw. No need to keep acting butt hurt every time I hold up an example from Canada that the US might benefit from)
    EVERYBODY could benefit from being more open to equal rights!!!! No fucking kidding. But do you realize how diverse this country is???? I will stop getting butt hurt (no pun intended) when you quit painting such broad strokes about "America" and "Americans" as though we have a single homogeneous culture (no pun intended again). It's an obnoxious, unhelpful way to frame a problem, especially a problem that isn't even yours to begin with over there in your utopian Vancouver. Have you ever even been to North Carolina? What the hell do you know about its people if you've never met a single one???
    I actually don't think any of that at all. Not even a tiny bit, and I have never once made a single comment about the people and what they are like in NC. You are COMPLETELY reading into what I'm saying incorrectly.

BTW, I am not really a big fan of Vancouver.
    dont kid yourself....
    About what? I have never in my life thought or suggested that America is a homogenous culture. If it were, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. My issue is entirely with the American GOVERNMENT and many of the politicians within it. As I already stated (and was met with confounding resistance) is that there are a lot of politicians and even Supreme Course Justices in America who perpetuate bigotry in the US. THAT is what the problem is, as everything I have said outlines, but was ignored as usual.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Don't you think that America and Americans would benefit from being more open to equal rights?
    (you've made your point btw. No need to keep acting butt hurt every time I hold up an example from Canada that the US might benefit from)
    EVERYBODY could benefit from being more open to equal rights!!!! No fucking kidding. But do you realize how diverse this country is???? I will stop getting butt hurt (no pun intended) when you quit painting such broad strokes about "America" and "Americans" as though we have a single homogeneous culture (no pun intended again). It's an obnoxious, unhelpful way to frame a problem, especially a problem that isn't even yours to begin with over there in your utopian Vancouver. Have you ever even been to North Carolina? What the hell do you know about its people if you've never met a single one???
    I actually don't think any of that at all. Not even a tiny bit, and I have never once made a single comment about the people and what they are like in NC. You are COMPLETELY reading into what I'm saying incorrectly.

dont kid yourself....
    About what? I have never in my life thought or suggested that America is a homogenous culture. If it were, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. My issue is entirely with the American GOVERNMENT and many of the politicians within it. As I already stated (and was met with confounding resistance) is that there are a lot of politicians and in America, and even Supreme Course Justices, who perpetuate bigotry in the US. THAT is what the problem is, as everything I have said outlines, but was ignored as usual.
    wow. no edit.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, I edit everything. I have an itchy posting trigger finger. I do it with zero intent, other than to either fix typos, or to add a thought that came to me immediately after posting. No apologies. I see nothing wrong with it. (and there was an edit to that post too, lol. Had to delete a misplaced "and" or something and make a sentence more grammatically correct).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    American politicians aren't the only corrupt and greedy people in the world. Why does an american primary get covered worldwide but most couldn't tell you who the British prime minister is?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    edited June 2016

American politicians aren't the only corrupt and greedy people in the world. Why does an american primary get covered worldwide but most couldn't tell you who the British prime minister is?

Wtf? When did I say they were the only corrupt and greedy people in the world? We happen to be talking about American politicians in this thread. Would you like me to go wildly off topic and randomly start talking about Russian politicians, Chinese politicians, random corrupt Canadian politicians (who I happily talk about int he Canadian politics thread)? Or would you like to remember that we're actually talking about something specific here, and that I'm in context? (and, um, yeah, more people could tell you who the British Prime Minister is. People outside of the States actually do pay attention to non-American news as well. It's just that the current US political situation is basically out of control. That tends to attract a lot of attention!).
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Wtf? When did I say they were the only corrupt and greedy people in the world? We happen to be talking about American politicians in this thread. Would you like me to go wildly off topic and randomly start talking about Russian politicians, Chinese politicians, random corrupt Canadian politicians (who I happily talk about int he Canadian politics thread)? Or would you like to remember that we're actually talking about something specific here, and that I'm in context? (and, um, yeah, more people could tell you who the British Prime Minister is. People outside of the States actually do pay attention to non-American news as well. It's just that the current US political situation is basically out of control. That tends to attract a lot of attention!).
    No, I actually posted this in the wrong thread. I wasn't referring to your post at all. I thought I was in the trump thread.

Edit, I did read your post, but was not referring to you.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dont kid yourself....
    About what? I have never in my life thought or suggested that America is a homogenous culture. If it were, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. My issue is entirely with the American GOVERNMENT and many of the politicians within it. As I already stated (and was met with confounding resistance) is that there are a lot of politicians and even Supreme Course Justices in America who perpetuate bigotry in the US. THAT is what the problem is, as everything I have said outlines, but was ignored as usual.
    No, you didn't say the American GOVERNMENT could benefit from being more open minded. Nor have you named a single politician as an example. You said "America and Americans." Quit backtracking and playing innocent. OR, get better at saying what you mean without coming across as, quite honestly, as closed minded and judgmental as the people you lecture about incessantly.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dont kid yourself....
    No, you didn't say the American GOVERNMENT could benefit from being more open minded. Nor have you named a single politician as an example. You said "America and Americans." Quit backtracking and playing innocent. OR, get better at saying what you mean without coming across as, quite honestly, as closed minded and judgmental as the people you lecture about incessantly.
    Actually I have been talking about the government and/or bigotted americans this whole time, which is abundantly clear if you read all my posts and put them in context. I am not backtracking at all.
  • Options
    ^^^
    Your posts are often edited to add or subtract words.
    In a short time frame it confuses people you are talking too - kind of like Trump.
    Say what you mean without editing %99 of the time.
  • Options

^^^
    In a short time frame it confuses people you are talking too - kind of like Trump.

I always say what I mean. Adding to my thoughts (or correcting typos), which i do a lot, doesn't change that. This is simply how I manage my thought process. If I could make the first post perfect the first time, expressing everything I want to say, I would. Maybe it's a bit of a learning disability, I don't know. At any rate, I will post any way I want.

The comparison to Trump is stupid.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^

I always say what I mean. Adding to my thoughts (or correcting typos), which i do a lot, doesn't change that. This is simply how I manage my thought process. If I could make the first post perfect the first time, expressing everything I want to say, I would. Maybe it's a bit of a learning disability, I don't know. At any rate, I will post any way I want.

Don't sweat it, pjfan hates late chimers, sametimers, editers, and crediters.
    I just laugh and let it roll, it's just part of her troll toll.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^

FWIW , a gentle reminder and Kat tells us frequently, we have a preview feature. May be worth trying out to avoid the criticisms. Just a thought. Do as you wish.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

^^^

Don't sweat it, pjfan hates late chimers, sametimers, editers, and crediters.
    I just laugh and let it roll, it's just part of her troll toll.
    Lol lol that's some funny shite !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ^^^
    SALTS
    There is only one thing false about that statement.
  • Options

^^^
    SALTS
    There is only one thing false about that statement.

He, not she?
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    BS44325 said:
    yeuuuuuup ! maybe he can pull the Hillary defense and claim he didn't realize it was a crime, I'm sure they'll cut him loose.

Godfather.

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    He's in the same boat as Hillary to me...
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

He's in the same boat as Hillary to me...

I agree !

Godfather.

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Accept he does all the work, Hillary doesn't do anything accept babble like him I'd know bc it all I know of
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    JWPearl said:

Accept he does all the work, Hillary doesn't do anything accept babble like him I'd know bc it all I know of

Clearly neither one of you have any idea what you are talking about.
  • Options

JWPearl said:

Clearly neither one of you have any idea what you are talking about.
    I can't even understand what they are saying.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    BS44325 said:
    Nobody said this couldn't happen, it could happen before the asinine law, and it can still happen no matter how many more asinine laws are passed on the subject.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:
    Nobody said this couldn't happen, it could happen before the asinine law, and it can still happen no matter how many more asinine laws are passed on the subject.

true.

Godfather.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:
    I agree with you. I also agree that the law is asinine. Where I depart though is from those who say events like this can never happen and that the law is only being put in place for reasons of fear and bigotry. Events like this are real albeit extremely rare. It is not wrong for someone to consider legislation to prevent these occurrences. Personally I think these events are so rare and impractical that the law is both stupid and redundant to other assault laws on the books but that doesn't make the supporter of these laws bigots.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Yeah it does. Law or no law, it has no effect on this kind of thing either way. That's the point. I feel like bigots just hide behind this silly excuse about men dressing as women to prey on females. Obviously the law they support has absolutely no impact on that whatsoever.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah it does. Law or no law, it has no effect on this kind of thing either way. That's the point. I feel like bigots just hide behind this silly excuse about men dressing as women to prey on females. Obviously the law they support has absolutely no impact on that whatsoever.

I agree that some bigots do hide behind these laws but I also believe that there are those who strongly feel these laws provide safe spaces for women. There are a number of rape victims on record who support this law for these reasons. I am with you on the issue PJSoul. Where I differ on this and so many other issues is the knee jerk tend to always shout bigot/racist etc. It is horrible for general discourse and it makes it very hard for partisanship to subside.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I agree that some bigots do hide behind these laws but I also believe that there are those who strongly feel these laws provide safe spaces for women. There are a number of rape victims on record who support this law for these reasons. I am with you on the issue PJSoul. Where I differ on this and so many other issues is the knee jerk tend to always shout bigot/racist etc. It is horrible for general discourse and it makes it very hard for partisanship to subside.
    I understand we agree on the issue (whoohoo, lol). I guess I just don't buy the argument. I really do think that those who support that law are bigots. I simply straight up do not believe those who try to claim that they support the law just because they care about female safety. It's not a knee jerk reaction at all. I have given it plenty of thought. I think those people are full of shit and are actually bigots.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I understand we agree on the issue (whoohoo, lol). I guess I just don't buy the argument. I really do think that those who support that law are bigots. I simply straight up do not believe those who try to claim that they support the law just because they care about female safety. It's not a knee jerk reaction at all. I have given it plenty of thought. I think those people are full of shit and are actually bigots.
    Understood and for the record I am not calling your reaction on this "knee jerk" but I would ask you to consider that not everybody who favours these laws are acting in bad faith (as stupid and self-defeating as these laws may be).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I agree with this whole heartedly.