Options

2nd show added to Toronto with zero notification!

Comments

• Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    seanwon said:

dogrockit said:

Disenchanted with 10c and will not be renewing my membership. Lottery does not appear fair to me.

Awesome! I just moved up a slot!!

• Options
    dogrockitdogrockit Posts: 115
    Maybe my expectations for the distribution of 10c tickets in a fair and reasonable manner for Toronto were unrealistic.

For anybody following the lottery wins, the system does not maximize the chances of all members getting at least one set of tickets to the tour. Even if I had won, I still would not think that the system is equitable and IMO needs to be improved. I am surprised that so many people are defending this. Of course I know that any lottery is a game of chance, but it is the distribution of tickets after balls are drawn that I have a problem with. Once your name is drawn, you should get your preferred tickets to one show and not five.

For the Tor2 ticket sale, quite simply, some people knew about it and others did not. Therefore not everyone had the same opportunity to get tickets. 10c knew that very few members who wanted got tickets to Tor1 and I would have thought that the right thing to do would have been to give all 10c members notice of Tor2 show so that everyone would have an equal chance to get them, regardless of past precedents for other shows or performers.

My posts are my opinions only and intended to elicit discussion and hopefully some positive change.

I still intend to try to find tickets (at a reasonable cost) to attend the shows. The sole reason I pay membership dues though is to give me access to better seats for local area shows but again, in my opinion, think that the odds of obtaining these are so low as to not justify the cost.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,971
    While I have no problem with the way Toronto 2 was handled, I always feel for any fellow PJ fan who is shut out of a show. It sucks, plain and simple. My push back has been against entitled criticism that is just over the top. (Think "I deserve tickets to any show I want whenever I want" or that 10c is selecting certain favored members' numbers and fulfilling all their ticket requests while ignoring others.) But that said, I don't think it is out of line to expect from 10c some sort of official statement or explanation addressing why Toronto 2 was handled the way it was. Tim Bierman should step up and let paying customers know what happened. Own it, don't ignore it. That isn't too much to expect. IMO.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,488
    edited January 2016
    Double post
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,488
    edited January 2016
    dogrockit said:

Maybe my expectations for the distribution of 10c tickets in a fair and reasonable manner for Toronto were unrealistic.

For anybody following the lottery wins, the system does not maximize the chances of all members getting at least one set of tickets to the tour. Even if I had won, I still would not think that the system is equitable and IMO needs to be improved. I am surprised that so many people are defending this. Of course I know that any lottery is a game of chance, but it is the distribution of tickets after balls are drawn that I have a problem with. Once your name is drawn, you should get your preferred tickets to one show and not five.

For the Tor2 ticket sale, quite simply, some people knew about it and others did not. Therefore not everyone had the same opportunity to get tickets. 10c knew that very few members who wanted got tickets to Tor1 and I would have thought that the right thing to do would have been to give all 10c members notice of Tor2 show so that everyone would have an equal chance to get them, regardless of past precedents for other shows or performers.

My posts are my opinions only and intended to elicit discussion and hopefully some positive change.

I still intend to try to find tickets (at a reasonable cost) to attend the shows. The sole reason I pay membership dues though is to give me access to better seats for local area shows but again, in my opinion, think that the odds of obtaining these are so low as to not justify the cost.

A lottery by nature is not designed for the results to be fair. Only your chance to get tickets is fair.

It sucks you didn't get what you wanted but this system is the fairest for everyone.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    dogrockit said:

A bunch of members here on the forum posted about the rumoured 2nd Toronto show for quite some time. Everyone had the same chance at getting tickets for it. The reality is non 10c members had the least notice out of anyone since they had none. The tickets just went on sale without any notice. Maybe tm should've sent them a notification in that case.
  • Options
    i love that the on-sale time was 12 noon.
    i love that the prices of every ticket is the exact same
    i love that the maximum anyone can buy is 4 tickets
    i love that i (and many here) had plenty of head's up notice on this 2nd show.
    we had lots of information flowing about another TO show at end that leg of the tour.
    hello people! pay closer attention if you really care about it!
    this is not the first time they have played TO...and end of tour...and they do 1 show only in TO??
    think about it...
    i was on line at lunch at my desk, monitoring this board very closely for the new posts to clues about the possibility...then boom the hint was posted here first! good community of fans!
    i got 2 lower bowl pairs to the TO show #2. one pair in section 118!
    so, there was no lottery/official notice...get over it fast! it's not a perfect world sometimes...and PJ go way beyond most bands in trying to get tickets to their fans first. I've been around long enough to know they actually care about it. thinking differently is just kidding yourself.
  • Options
    again though, it's not about knowing about the second show, but about knowing when it was going to go on sale.
  • Options
    dogrockitdogrockit Posts: 115
    A bunch of members here on the forum posted about the rumoured 2nd Toronto show for quite some time. Everyone had the same chance at getting tickets for it. The reality is non 10c members had the least notice out of anyone since they had none. The tickets just went on sale without any notice. Maybe tm should've sent them a notification in that case.
    I saw the forum posts debating whether second show would be sold on TM or offered to 10c first. I asked TM person at ticket window at ACC at 12:05 p.m. on Friday (while also working TM app) if there was a second show after getting shut out for Tor1 and was told no. Stopped looking and went back to work. Very surprised (and obviously disappointed) to see people offering tickets for Tor1 and Tor2 (WTF?) for exchange on PJ forums Friday night as I had assumed there would be a 10c lotto. I think it was a case of unfortunate timing as Tor2 probably came up for sale a few minutes after I left box office. Some form of prior notice to the faithful would have eliminated this.

On the lottery, to use an extreme example, if one member was selected and got all tickets to all shows, I would agree that all members would have an equal chance of winning but would anyone think that this is a fair system for distributing the tickets? I did not realize until this tour exactly how the lottery works and think that it needs to be re-examined by 10c to spread the tickets around and not concentrate them in fewer member's hands. Is anyone getting this? It is not sour grapes and I am not bashing any members or thinking that 10c is playing any favourites, just something that needs improvement. It is disappointing that after a 5 year wait for the band to play Toronto again, I am unable to get decent seats and don't know if or when they will be back.

• Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    that's really big, haha
    JimmyV said:

My push back has been against entitled criticism that is just over the top. (Think "I deserve tickets to any show I want whenever I want" or that 10c is selecting certain favored members' numbers and fulfilling all their ticket requests while ignoring others.)

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say any of that! Spreading this kind of language around here only divides us. :sick: did I just type that? anyway...

I personally don't like "why" they opened up GA. And if someone says it wasn't because of money, they're a fool.

did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    To the above, of course the agent would say no because at that point a second show wasn't happening. Things needed to fall into place otherwise the second show doesn't become a reality. It wasn't until 30 minutes or so after the n1 show went on sale that n2 materialized.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    PJ_Soul said:

jhager79 said:

Thanks PJ, I'm a 10 club member as it's the easiest way to get tickets and then you drop this extra Toronto show with no chance for members to purchase tickets? What a slap in the face. I have a job which I'm not able to access phone/ internet so had no chance to purchase tickets so now if I want to go to second show I'm forced to pay scalper prices. Once again thanks Pearl Jam.

What if it's not even their decision?
    I know this is back from page 2, but.... EXACTLY!! Thank you, PJ_Soul!! This is what's really getting me. Everyone acting like 10C/PJ has total & exclusive control over everything.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2016

PJ_Soul said:

jhager79 said:

Thanks PJ, I'm a 10 club member as it's the easiest way to get tickets and then you drop this extra Toronto show with no chance for members to purchase tickets? What a slap in the face. I have a job which I'm not able to access phone/ internet so had no chance to purchase tickets so now if I want to go to second show I'm forced to pay scalper prices. Once again thanks Pearl Jam.

I know this is back from page 2, but.... EXACTLY!! Thank you, PJ_Soul!! This is what's really getting me. Everyone acting like 10C/PJ has total & exclusive control over everything.
    I can't prove it but I think announcing/selling the 2nd show this way actually freed up more seats for the true fan as opposed to the limited number of seats released for show 1 due to all the season ticket owners and corporate holds at the ACC.

Bear with me on this...

I was in talk for a long time about possibly purchasing a box at the ACC for show 1. The ACC sales rep confrimed to me that there would be a second show and that they would only be selling the boxes at the second show due to corporate holds on the boxes for night 1. At the same time I was in conversation with a ticket broker for show 1 lower level seats. This guy re-sells tickets for season ticket holders and (according to him) already had his "stock" of re-sells in hand prior to the ticketmaster onsale date. This guy had zero knowledge of a second show. My thoughts are when a second show is announced this way season holders/corporate are given extremely limited notice if they get any at all to make a purchase. With that in mind there are actually many more good seats available to the general buying public. For 10C members who demand more notice my guess is that this would set off a chain of events where the season holders/corporate would have to even get earlier notice and would then buy up the good seats agead of time. I can't prove any of this but I'm pretty sure that is how it goes. PJ did us all a favour by not giving notice.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Bash Head
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    deadendp said:

Bash Head

:rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

jhager79 said:

I can't prove it but I think announcing/selling the 2nd show this way actually freed up more seats for the true fan as opposed to the limited number of seats released for show 1 due to all the season ticket owners and corporate holds at the ACC.

Bear with me on this...

I was in talk for a long time about possibly purchasing a box at the ACC for show 1. The ACC sales rep confrimed to me that there would be a second show and that they would only be selling the boxes at the second show due to corporate holds on the boxes for night 1. At the same time I was in conversation with a ticket broker for show 1 lower level seats. This guy re-sells tickets for season ticket holders and (according to him) already had his "stock" of re-sells in hand prior to the ticketmaster onsale date. This guy had zero knowledge of a second show. My thoughts are when a second show is announced this way season holders/corporate are given extremely limited notice if they get any at all to make a purchase. With that in mind there are actually many more good seats available to the general buying public. For 10C members who demand more notice my guess is that this would set off a chain of events where the season holders/corporate would have to even get earlier notice and would then buy up the good seats agead of time. I can't prove any of this but I'm pretty sure that is how it goes. PJ did us all a favour by not giving notice.
    Yahtzee. Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,971

JimmyV said:

My push back has been against entitled criticism that is just over the top. (Think "I deserve tickets to any show I want whenever I want" or that 10c is selecting certain favored members' numbers and fulfilling all their ticket requests while ignoring others.)

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say any of that! Spreading this kind of language around here only divides us. :sick: did I just type that? anyway...

I personally don't like "why" they opened up GA. And if someone says it wasn't because of money, they're a fool.

Trust me. Both were indeed said.

Quote #1:
    gmonet said:

I agree with the original post here. I've been a fan club member since 94 and I'm sorry that everybody's late to the party but after this much time I should get tickets to any show I want anytime I want. Philadelphia in 2003 had over 10,010 club tickets. The fact is, Pearl Jam sold out and they don't have the same number of tickets available that they did back then. Live nation sells them now and we happily pay fees when we used to have to travel to East Girish to see these guys. Oh yeah, I think they're rolling out a new South American bootleg tonight. Remember when you could get those all on one day? Sell out!

Quote #2:
    dogrockit said:

Disenchanted with 10c and will not be renewing my membership. Lottery does not appear fair to me. Some members are getting tickets to multiple shows and others get nothing. Seems obvious that they are picking member numbers and then filling their wish lists (to the extent then available). Shouldn't the goal be a system that maximizes the chances of all 10c members getting to see the band at least once on each tour?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 238
    foodboy said:

have a single lower bowl 113 for toronto 1 at face value. dimi you are correct . people should be happy 2 shows. you just have to pay attention to the clues. there were lots of them. the people at the ten club try very hard to please everyone. you now see how this all works. if you don't like it just don't re new the membership. everything has been upfront. someone phoned me that it was up on the website. i f5'd and voila it appeared. dimi need to buy you a beer in toronto.

If it was up front an email might have been sent out day before, not all of us live on the message boards.

[img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    bs44325 first of all thanks so much for getting that critical piece of information about the second show. once i heard that it was a no brainer. even if you didn't check the boards all you had to do was check the main pj page and go to the tour page. it had a but button for the second show . that actually sent you ahead of anyone to buy tickets because even ticketmaster didn't re load their page as fast. stayed on the page on f5'd. boom there it was. way more real fans in my opinion got seats for a lot of the reasons bs44325 stated. being at a tm outlet was maybe the worst place to be with someone with no knowledge other than what appears on their screen to be sold. had you kept looking on your phone on the pj site you would have been right in there and happy as a lark.you didn't have to be up on message boards. just kept checking the pj site would have sufficed. as i have stated i will probably never have that type of opportunity again to buy those seats. i got some of the very best tickets in the house. wedding parade right on to you.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    also they put this on over peoples lunch hour to give lots of people a chance.
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 238
    foodboy said:

also they put this on over peoples lunch hour to give lots of people a chance.

Ah, the good old days when I actually got a lunch break. Now it's 2 quick smokes and back to the shit
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    edited February 2016
    very good call BS44325
    bingo indeed! i'm glad the MLSE season ticket subscribers got shafted on this 2nd show. most of them are not fans of the band so for all of those tickets all go to scalpers.
    and my seats in section 118(row 8) for the 2nd show are indeed platinum level tickets, which if anyone has been to the acc knows that's where most of the hockey season ticket holders sit
    Post edited by weddingparade on
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057

very good call BS44325
    bingo indeed! i'm glad the MLSE season ticket subscribers got shafted on this 2nd show. most of them are not fans of the band so for all of those tickets all go to scalpers.
    and my seats in section 118(row 8) for the 2nd show are indeed platinum level tickets, which if anyone has been to the acc knows that's where most of the hockey season ticket holders sit

It's true. I wish all PJ tickets were just random drops. For those of us who don't get lucky with the lottery, this gives us the best chance at getting good seats, or any seats for that matter.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,526
    For any band, any time i see a large city with one show, I usually assume there is going to be a second show added.

Nyc and Philly, those are large enough markets where you know both will sell out. Cities like boston, chicago, toronto, LA, etc...usually get 2 shows, so when they only get one, i get very suspicious, and assume that a 2nd one will be added. And 99 times out of 100, its never announced, its just dropped right in there. They way this was handled is not uncommon, in fact, its an industry standard. PJ has done this before. Other bands have done this before. But its really not the band that has anything to do with this....its the venue/promoter/ticket outlet that has that contract option.
    Yes, there were times in the past when a show was added a week or more later. Those are rather uncommon situations.

During the ticketmaster onsale for night one, i kept refreshing the main ticketmaster calendar for pj waiting for the show to pop up. It did. I bought tickets.

Its strange, but it seems that those that hate the lottery and wish for F5 to return are also the ones complaining about how this show was added. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED. you wanted an F5 situation where "Those that work for it" get tickets.

Personally i think pj probably let the original dates leak on purpose to alert everyone to this scenario. If this wasnt obvious that this was going to happen, just be aware of it for the future, with all bands.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Best of all the "BOTS" or ticket brokers were not ready and/or anticipating this show. Seems there were many who scored way above average seats for this show.
    98: Barrie
    00: Nawlins, Saratoga, Tor, Det, Phx
    01: Bridge
    03: Raleigh, Char, Buf, Det x2, Tor, Mont
    05: T-Bay, Kit, Lon, Ham, Tor
    06: Tor x2, Clev, Cin, Arnhem, Honolulu x2
    07: Vic, Lolla, Tor(EV) Body of War
    08: Van(EV) x2, Hart, Bos x2, Tor(EV) x2
    09: Tor
    10: Jazz Fest, Clev, Buf
    11: Det(EV), Tor x2, Ham
    12: FLL(EV)
    13: Pit, Buf, Cal
    14: Det, Den
    15: NYC
  • Options
    Royals17 said:

Best of all the "BOTS" or ticket brokers were not ready and/or anticipating this show. Seems there were many who scored way above average seats for this show.

This too.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    DeegzDeegz Posts: 64

very good call BS44325

8th row!! Those are awesome seats, I'll be sitting 10 rows behind you! Those are FOR SURE platinum seats. Almost any other well known artist you see, your paying atleast three times the price!!
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2016

very good call BS44325

Thank you weddingparade

To add some additional circumstantial evidence...check out the re-sale tickets available on Stubhub for both nights.

Show 1: There are many lower row seats (including row 1) in section 118 for resale ...these are season ticket holder seats that are obviously being flipped.

Show 2: The lowest row available for resale in the same section is row 12.

Why the difference? Show 2 lower row seats were bought by fans who actually want to go to the show and are not looking to flip.

Once again I insist that PJ did us a favour by selling show 2 the way they did.

Post edited by BS44325 on
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

very good call BS44325

Thank you weddingparade

To add some additional circumstantial evidence...check out the re-sale tickets available on Stubhub for both nights.

Show 1: There are many lower row seats (including row 1) in section 118 for resale ...these are season ticket holder seats that are obviously being flipped.

Show 2: The lowest row available for resale in the same section is row 12.

Why the difference? Show 2 lower row seats were bought by fans who actually want to go to the show and are not looking to flip.

Once again I insist that PJ did us a favour by selling show 2 the way they did.

I agree with you...except for one thing...I dont think it was PJ that did it this way. I think you can thank ticketmaster for that.

Sounds creepy, right? Thanking Ticketmaster? But they want to stop the bots and shenanigans as much as anyone.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    BeerBaron said:

BeerBaron said:

its always likew that in added shows,,same as amsterdam 2

Exactly right Dimi. This is not a new practice. No one should be surprised, PJ has been doing this for years. In fact Toronto 2 2011 was the same way.
    Are you sure about that? I remember I had a pair of tenclub tickets for one night and my ticket buddy for the other one.

He is wrong. In 2011 both shows were part of the original announcement and there were 10C tickets available for both nights. I think this was the tour where you had to buy Ten Club tickets through Ticketmaster and it was a bit of a mess.
    Turns out I am. I'll own it.
    You owe me a 4 pack of Heady Topper. That was the bet, right? :)
    I won't be making Toronto but if you make your way to Philly I can make sure you get at least one in your hand :)
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23