Options

2nd show added to Toronto with zero notification!

Comments

• Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 981
    The second show is interesting. I dont think there is always time for presales and it just gets released to general public. I remember a few years ago there was a Q&A with Kelly Curtis and he went into how second shows are released. Its something like they have it on hold and if the first shows is selling well they have to make a quick decision whether to add the second. Im sure someone will remember this better than I do
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    edited January 2016
    mrk2 said:

This is totally standard procedure with many other bands (maybe try sometimes) and has also been with PJ shows too. If there is a large city with huge demand and there's a hole in the schedule, be prepared for 2nd show. Always be prepared. Don't expect 10C to come and hold your hand and show you where to find the details.

Yeah I agree with this. There were rumours flying and finally actual confirmation of the second show before the tix went on sale. If you're a music fan you do indeed need to invest a bit of time and attention if you want to catch these things. You shouldn't just sit back and expect it all to be handed to you on a silver platter, and that countsnfor fan club members. That just isn't how it always works. For those frustrated, think of this as a learning experience! You need to stay on your toes at times like this, and yes, sometimes you don't manage it because life gets in the way. That's life.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I wasn't even following the rumors of a second show but just being a fan knew how things could go so I kept another page up to refresh because chances were good for another show. If you had no clue or were not prepared it might happen then you are not as big of an entitled fan you think you are.
    1996 - Ft Lauderdale
    1998 - West Palm Beach 1
    2000 - West Palm Beach 1&2
    2003 - WPB,Tampa,Atlanta,Camden 1&2,MSG 1&2, Boston 3,Hershey Park
    2004 - Asheville, Kissimmee
    2008 - West Palm Beach,Tampa,Columbia,Virginia Beach, Mansfield 1&2
    2010 - Hartford,Boston,Newark, MSG 1&2
    2011 - PJ20 1&2, Costa Rica
    2013 - Wrigley,Brooklyn 1&2,Seattle
    2014 - Denver,Mountain View 1&2
    2015 - Bogata, Mexico City
    2016 - Ft Lauderdale,Miami,Tampa,NYC 1&2,Telluride,Fenway 1&2,Wrigley 1&2

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,356
    edited January 2016

mrk2 said:

There's thousands of people logged on to Ticketmaster at the moment the 2nd show is announced. Potential customers and huge demand, but no, they need to cater to a bunch of whiny entitled clubbers first.

The only reason to be still logged on to ticketmaster is if you didn't already check out with your other shows tickets like I just happened to be. No other reason to be hanging out on the ticketmaster site.

There were more people at work or whatever that had no idea this show was going to be going on sale. And whiny or not those "clubbers" do pay money to be in this club. Most of them for tickets and tour info.

Any person with common sense should get their point. Like I said I do have all my tickets and am happy about that but I also feel for the folks that had no idea about this second show. A lot of them lost out on the lottery for the first show and then to be SURPRISED with a second show that has already sold out when they get home from work is just a kick in the junk.

Then they come on here and post their frustrations and get called whiny, spoiled, entitled. Shoulda known this happens all the time like once back in 98 and once or twice in another country. All the time, this always happens it's very very common.

Yes there were rumors but there are always rumors and they are not always true.

Since none of the 10 clubbers knew about this one I bet the scalpers got even more of this shows tickets than the first one. There was much less competition online for them.
    Some nice reasoning above..... 'Notification via email would have been nice. I'd be shocked if the majority of 10club members have twitter accounts, which apparently is where notification was given. Have a nice day everyone
    Post edited by BF89905 on
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,012
    Strange thread. I would have thought the people of Toronto would appreciate a 2nd show.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    BF89905 said:

mrk2 said:

There's thousands of people logged on to Ticketmaster at the moment the 2nd show is announced. Potential customers and huge demand, but no, they need to cater to a bunch of whiny entitled clubbers first.

The only reason to be still logged on to ticketmaster is if you didn't already check out with your other shows tickets like I just happened to be. No other reason to be hanging out on the ticketmaster site.

There were more people at work or whatever that had no idea this show was going to be going on sale. And whiny or not those "clubbers" do pay money to be in this club. Most of them for tickets and tour info.

Any person with common sense should get their point. Like I said I do have all my tickets and am happy about that but I also feel for the folks that had no idea about this second show. A lot of them lost out on the lottery for the first show and then to be SURPRISED with a second show that has already sold out when they get home from work is just a kick in the junk.

Then they come on here and post their frustrations and get called whiny, spoiled, entitled. Shoulda known this happens all the time like once back in 98 and once or twice in another country. All the time, this always happens it's very very common.

Yes there were rumors but there are always rumors and they are not always true.

Since none of the 10 clubbers knew about this one I bet the scalpers got even more of this shows tickets than the first one. There was much less competition online for them.
    Some nice reasoning above..... 'Notification via email would have been nice. I'd be shocked if the majority of 10club members have twitter accounts, which apparently is where notification was given. Have a nice day everyone
    Only 2.9 million people follow Pearl jam on Twitter. How dare they communicate through Twitter!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    DeegzDeegz Posts: 64
    Sarava said:

Strange thread. I would have thought the people of Toronto would appreciate a 2nd show.

LOL. I sure as heck appreciate it!! I scored tickets because I had my ass glued to my phone............while pretending to work :D

• Options
    TrixieTrixie Posts: 179
    Sarava said:

What the people of Toronto would have liked is notice. Everyone who didn't get tickets to either show (including myself) fully believe they will end up at the show, through one method or another. Whether or not, we actually get to see PJ this time around, remains to be seen. However, paying $50 per year is now, for me, a lost cause. End of discussion.
  • Options
    nuge93nuge93 Posts: 31
    I have no dog in this hunt at all, but from where I stand, based on previous 10C practices, it definitely seems lame and unfair that those 10C members that were shut out on the lottery for Toronto 1 had to roll the dice with the TM sale online. Everyone knows that the bots are buying up the majority of tickets in the first few minutes. If you scored a pair through TM, you truly did win a lottery. PJ should have definitely made tickets available to 10C members that were shut out of Toronto 1.
    Worcester 2 '13
    Hartford '13
  • Options
    nuge93 said:

I have no dog in this hunt at all, but from where I stand, based on previous 10C practices, it definitely seems lame and unfair that those 10C members that were shut out on the lottery for Toronto 1 had to roll the dice with the TM sale online. Everyone knows that the bots are buying up the majority of tickets in the first few minutes. If you scored a pair through TM, you truly did win a lottery. PJ should have definitely made tickets available to 10C members that were shut out of Toronto 1.

10c has done this before. It isn't new. 10c nor pj owe anyone anything. These are grown adults complaining about concert tickets.
  • Options
    TrixieTrixie Posts: 179
    nuge93 said:

Yep!
  • Options
    Marty2544Marty2544 Burlington, ON, Canada Posts: 8
    People keep saying this has happened before and is standard practice with other bands.

The quick rollover of a 2nd show is to ensure sales from 1st show.

My question would be what exactly was the gauge? Toronto shows always sell out really fast and with no Detroit, Buffalo, Montreal or Southern Ontario dates, they were going to go quicker...so what benefit was gained by not announcing?
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 981
    In my experience, I have seen enough second dates added last minute, as well as tickets released to 'sold out' shows at a later date. Because of this I regularly check to see if extra tickets are available if I really want to go. We get the same complaints tour after tour and would think people would know this sort of stuff happens.

I understand people want a better process, that would be great. But with the instructions 10C gave to the lottery, and knowing the normal process for getting tix through ticketmaster I dont know why people expected anything different
  • Options
    Wow some real stubborn peeps up in here that can't see both sides of the coin.

I just hired a psychic to text me when she hears any PJ news, so I'm all good for the future days.

Peace to all and have good shows!

Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    Marty2544 said:

People keep saying this has happened before and is standard practice with other bands.

My question would be what exactly was the gauge? Toronto shows always sell out really fast and with no Detroit, Buffalo, Montreal or Southern Ontario dates, they were going to go quicker...so what benefit was gained by not announcing?

In cases like this there is % threshold of ticket sales that must be met before the 2nd show will be announced. There have been multiple examples of rollover shows that have been handled like this in the past. We don't even know that this was the bands decision. For all we know it could have been in the contract with the promoter that 10c tickets could only be sold to one show. And had fan club tickets been sold to this show or people had been given more notice there still would likely be fans shut out of tickets. And I'm sure some of those people would still be on here bitching that they got shut out.

9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    i almost wish i'd been shut out at more shows... i don't like not being able to complain about something.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,567

ok, let's wrap this thread up. My only point was that I'm paying a membership fee so I do feel "entitled" to a little more ticket access that the average fan. You should to.

You've been a fan long enough to know Pearl Jam has never been about entitlement.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,091

its always likew that in added shows,,same as amsterdam 2

Exactly right Dimi. This is not a new practice. No one should be surprised, PJ has been doing this for years. In fact Toronto 2 2011 was the same way.
    Are you sure about that? I remember I had a pair of tenclub tickets for one night and my ticket buddy for the other one.

He is wrong. In 2011 both shows were part of the original announcement and there were 10C tickets available for both nights. I think this was the tour where you had to buy Ten Club tickets through Ticketmaster and it was a bit of a mess.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    BeerBaron said:

Exactly right Dimi. This is not a new practice. No one should be surprised, PJ has been doing this for years. In fact Toronto 2 2011 was the same way.
    Are you sure about that? I remember I had a pair of tenclub tickets for one night and my ticket buddy for the other one.

He is wrong. In 2011 both shows were part of the original announcement and there were 10C tickets available for both nights. I think this was the tour where you had to buy Ten Club tickets through Ticketmaster and it was a bit of a mess.
    Turns out I am. I'll own it.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 824
    BeerBaron said:

That was great. We were all given a unique code; I bought four shows in five minutes.

Also, none of the previous four ACC shows were complete sellouts. All of them had empty seats behind the stage in the 300s. Pearl Jam last sold out the ACC in 2005.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    BeerBaron said:

You would be correct. Although the actual buy through ticketmaster was as easy as can be.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    mcgruff10 said:

BeerBaron said:

You would be correct. Although the actual buy through ticketmaster was as easy as can be.
    Was this the "SABOTAGE" ticket sale?? :wink:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    derbydave said:

mcgruff10 said:

BeerBaron said:

Was this the "SABOTAGE" ticket sale?? :wink:
    The 10 club site crashed on the day of the sale. I had tickets to 3 shows in my cart and didn't know if I actually got them or not. It turned out that I did get them but didn't know until the next day that the transactions actually did go through.

It was so messed up, it actually let me buy two pairs to one show but 10club cancelled the second pair when they cleared everything up. That was the day when the F5 that everyone still talks about happened. We were all F5ing to refresh the screen and everything went bonkers.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    This was the ticket sale pushed back a few days because of the PJ20 crash then!!
    PJ
    F5

:rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Marty2544Marty2544 Burlington, ON, Canada Posts: 8

Marty2544 said:

In cases like this there is % threshold of ticket sales that must be met before the 2nd show will be announced. There have been multiple examples of rollover shows that have been handled like this in the past. We don't even know that this was the bands decision. For all we know it could have been in the contract with the promoter that 10c tickets could only be sold to one show. And had fan club tickets been sold to this show or people had been given more notice there still would likely be fans shut out of tickets. And I'm sure some of those people would still be on here bitching that they got shut out.

Btw...this is not sour grapes on my part, I managed to get tickets to both shows. Though I know quite a few people (non 10 Club) who got shut for night 1 and had no idea about night 2 got shut out again because they found out about 2nd show way too late.

Im fine with the promoter only allowing fan club tix for 1 show, I'm just not understanding what the benefit is by not just announcing the 2nd show immediately with the original announcement?

As for sell outs... Does it count if seats behind stage aren't sold? I've been to many shows at ACC where seats behind the stage are not even available due to stage set-up.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,821
    mcgruff10 said:

BeerBaron said:

Same with the 10club sale. I scored both Toronto 2011 shows @ the 10club store. Along with Montreal, Ottawa & Hamilton. All 10club tickets bought @ 10club that day.

I kinda miss those day's. Maybe someday down the road 10club might sell a show or two online, for old times sake.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,669
    Trixie said:

Sarava said:

What the people of Toronto would have liked is notice. Everyone who didn't get tickets to either show (including myself) fully believe they will end up at the show, through one method or another. Whether or not, we actually get to see PJ this time around, remains to be seen. However, paying $50 per year is now, for me, a lost cause. End of discussion.
    I didn't hit the lottery for the 1st show. Wasn't even by my computer when the 2nd show dropped. Through the generosity of friends I secured GA for the 2nd show and I believe the same generosity will have me at the 1st show. Having said that, when I said I'd be at both shows I wasn't relying on the generosity of others. If you've decided to be at the show no matter what I can tell you unequivocally that you can secure good/excellent lower level tickets for face value from Ticketmaster. Educate yourself on your options and you'll quickly realize the energy spent complaining is wasted.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Also can people please stop saying what the people of Toronto would've wanted/liked. You aren't speaking for anyone except yourself. Not everyone who is going to the concert is from Toronto.
  • Options

Also can people please stop saying what the people of Toronto would've wanted/liked You aren't speaking for anyone except yourself. Not everyone who is going to the concert is from Toronto.

Yeah like what percentage of a given crowd is actually from that city? 40% tops?
  • Options

Also can people please stop saying what the people of Toronto would've wanted/liked You aren't speaking for anyone except yourself. Not everyone who is going to the concert is from Toronto.

Yeah like what percentage of a given crowd is actually from that city? 40% tops?
    Good point about generalizations, but I honestly believe the number is a lot higher. The nature of the forum can make it feel like a larger percentage, but I'd bet it's probably closer to 75-80%. Point remains though.