Options

Lost in the Lottery - I AM PISSED!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Saltzy23 said:

Wow, this thread makes me sad.

Several points, if I may. Dudes and dudettes that have been 10c members forever, I fully understand your pride in how long you have been a member. Well done. I, as well as many in the 35+ club have been following this band just as long as you have. I have been at every NY area show for as long as I can remember. I've been to something like 12 or 13 shows, I lost count somewhere along the way. I always knew about the 10c, but before the internet I never really thought enough to join. It was only recently that I said 'Fuck it' and joined, which I am incredibly happy I did. Anyway, I have figured out ways to get in to every show, and so will you if you didn't win and you are industrious. My point though is that for any of you to claim that just because you sent in a membership application to this club way the hell back when doesn't somehow give you the right of first refusal on the best seats in the hardest places to score tickets in perpetuity. Explain to me how that is fair? You get to see the same band I call my favorite band from the GA at the Garden AGAIN for $94 while I have to scramble on Stubhub trying to find a cheap seat for less than $250 AGAIN? All because you sent a post card in like 12 years ago and I didn't? Yeah, bullshit on that. The music and everyone's enjoyment is what is important, not how low your number is in a fan club. Some of you people have forgotten that me thinks.

If I can't get tickets, how do I enjoy the show that's going on?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,749

Saltzy23 said:

Several points, if I may. Dudes and dudettes that have been 10c members forever, I fully understand your pride in how long you have been a member. Well done. I, as well as many in the 35+ club have been following this band just as long as you have. I have been at every NY area show for as long as I can remember. I've been to something like 12 or 13 shows, I lost count somewhere along the way. I always knew about the 10c, but before the internet I never really thought enough to join. It was only recently that I said 'Fuck it' and joined, which I am incredibly happy I did. Anyway, I have figured out ways to get in to every show, and so will you if you didn't win and you are industrious. My point though is that for any of you to claim that just because you sent in a membership application to this club way the hell back when doesn't somehow give you the right of first refusal on the best seats in the hardest places to score tickets in perpetuity. Explain to me how that is fair? You get to see the same band I call my favorite band from the GA at the Garden AGAIN for $94 while I have to scramble on Stubhub trying to find a cheap seat for less than $250 AGAIN? All because you sent a post card in like 12 years ago and I didn't? Yeah, bullshit on that. The music and everyone's enjoyment is what is important, not how low your number is in a fan club. Some of you people have forgotten that me thinks.

The public sale hasn't even happened yet. If that fails, there are ticket buddies, stub hub, etc. Why are you so set on not getting tickets? If you want to go to the show you can go to the show.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

One thing that's been brought up a lot is that people cannot travel to the shows that had higher odds of winning in the lottery (i.e. FL, etc.). So you're stuck entering the lottery for the bigger market cities like NY and Philly. BUT--how many times in the past 8 years has PJ played in these markets? A good amount. You know how many times they've played down in Florida? Last time was 2008.

So...maybe you could only enter for NY because that's where you live and you can't travel. I can't afford to travel either. So these past 8 years, I've had to watch and wait. I've had to hope they decide to come on down to ole Florida. And for the last 8 years I've lost this "lottery." But they finally did this year! And I got lucky and got tickets and get to see them live for the first time since 2008. And sure part of me being able to get tickets was because this is a smaller market and I put them as first priority; but hey, I'll take it.

So yeah it sucks you may not have gotten tickets this time. But be thankful you have the opportunity to see this incredible band somewhat frequently within an area that is essentially driving distance for you. Be thankful they still do tour at all. And be thankful they offer you the opportunity to have a chance to get these great fan club seats.

this might be the case for NY and Philly, but there are those with this ongoing problem in less common markets.
    Yeah, and I get that. All I'm saying is different parts of the country have at least had the chance to see them relatively close by somewhat frequently. And I do get being upset on being shut out. And I also get WHY they don't play in these smaller markets more frequently—because they are smaller markets that don't have the same draw
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347

Saltzy23 said:

It's called "Stubhub".

...and if you're really fast you will find an obvious 10c member who posts their tickets for face. I got into Barclays-2 the last time for $75 by hitting F5 like a madmad in the hours before the show.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options

One thing that's been brought up a lot is that people cannot travel to the shows that had higher odds of winning in the lottery (i.e. FL, etc.). So you're stuck entering the lottery for the bigger market cities like NY and Philly. BUT--how many times in the past 8 years has PJ played in these markets? A good amount. You know how many times they've played down in Florida? Last time was 2008.

So...maybe you could only enter for NY because that's where you live and you can't travel. I can't afford to travel either. So these past 8 years, I've had to watch and wait. I've had to hope they decide to come on down to ole Florida. And for the last 8 years I've lost this "lottery." But they finally did this year! And I got lucky and got tickets and get to see them live for the first time since 2008. And sure part of me being able to get tickets was because this is a smaller market and I put them as first priority; but hey, I'll take it.

So yeah it sucks you may not have gotten tickets this time. But be thankful you have the opportunity to see this incredible band somewhat frequently within an area that is essentially driving distance for you. Be thankful they still do tour at all. And be thankful they offer you the opportunity to have a chance to get these great fan club seats.

Great 1st post.
    And CONGRATS on your Florida shows!!!!
    Thanks! Looking forward to them!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424

Excellent first post! Enjoy your show, it's definitely been a long time coming!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

The public sale hasn't even happened yet. If that fails, there are ticket buddies, stub hub, etc. Why are you so set on not getting tickets? If you want to go to the show you can go to the show.
    because, I, along with many others, have also been shut out of Ticketmaster tickets. Ticketmaster is in no way a done deal for tickets. How many shows (non-PJ) have you missed because they sold out via TM? I can count about 8 in the last decade, at least half of the shows I wanted to see.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,087
    gmonet said:

If seniority doesn't matter then why have member numbers at all? The only people who think seniority doesn't matter are people with high numbers the only people to think seniority matters are those with low numbers. The bottom line is the lottery system is terrible

my number is in the high 400K, and I for one believe seniority should matter.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748

bdoyle13 said:

Just because you've been a FC member for longer does not make you a bigger fan. The system could be made better.

Agreed. The seniority argument needs to stop. The correlation between time and fandom is weak and fails in so many circumstances.

Because someone has been a fan longer does not make them a bigger fan than someone else. Unless they happen to weigh more, then they are the bigger fan.
    Thank you. You are absolutely 100% correct. Membership has its privileges, but it doesn't guarantee anything other than a better chance of scoring tix than a non-member has. Add to that the fact that "senior" members get preferred seating (reserved) IF they are selected in the drawing; for twenty bucks a year, that seems like a pretty sweet deal.

I can understand being disappointed about not being selected in the lottery, but ... it's a fuckin' lottery, man. That's the way lotteries work. I saw one post today in which the poster bemoaned the fact that the lottery system seemed "rather random." Yes! Indeed it is. That's the very definition of a lottery. Chance and luck (obviously) play a huge role in the whole thing.

If I were a member with seniority (I'm not), I too might wish that my lower number guaranteed me dibs over someone with a higher number, but I'd like to think that I'd still be able to remain objective enough to see that such a system would be inherently unfair. Low number, high number, no number ... a fan's a fan. Fandom cannot (and should not) be quantified by how long one has been a member of a fan club.

My experience has shown me that lottery or no lottery, pre-sale or no pre-sale, Ticketmaster or no Ticketmaster, if you really wanna catch a show, it's not impossible to do so. Yes, one may have to jump through a few hoops and perhaps pay a little more, but not scoring a ticket via today's lottery does not preclude one from scoring tix to any show of their choosing.

Am I biased? Yes; a bit. I was chosen for MSG 2/Reserved. Is it because I'm a bigger fan or somehow deserve it more than others? Nah! Just got lucky; that's all.
    bump.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

because, I, along with many others, have also been shut out of Ticketmaster tickets. Ticketmaster is in no way a done deal for tickets. How many shows (non-PJ) have you missed because they sold out via TM? I can count about 8 in the last decade, at least half of the shows I wanted to see.

I have missed 0 shows.

Absolute worst, worst case scenario you bite the bullet and pay like $200-$225 for a dogshit single on Stubhub. If the $100 or so difference between that and the face is THAT big of a deal to you, then I both question your supposed allegiance to this band and question how the hell you can afford to go to shows in general.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,184

gmonet said:

If seniority doesn't matter then why have member numbers at all? The only people who think seniority doesn't matter are people with high numbers the only people to think seniority matters are those with low numbers. The bottom line is the lottery system is terrible

Correct me if I'm wrong but seniority has never given an advantage to actually obtaining tickets has it? We all still had to sit and F5 correct?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

He's not arguing he can't get tickets. He's arguing he can't get tickets through the fan club. Of course any of us can scramble on Friday and try to score TM tix or pay premium prices on Stubhub. Not the point here nor subrockcitys point
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

None. I have never in my life missed any concert that I really wanted to see. If I can't get TM tix, then I can go to the secondary market or find a person with a spare. If you are missing shows you really want to see just because 10C and TM didn't work, you're not trying hard enough.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Excellent first post! Enjoy your show, it's definitely been a long time coming!!
    Thank you Hes!
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Just wait for all the bitching on here after the Wrigley/Fenway lottery
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 205
    I guess I'll weigh in. Been a member since 1993 and never had any issues getting tickets until the lottery started.

I don't think any of us older members are saying we need preferential treatment. What we are saying us that tickets used to be sold many different ways which were much better than this.

Shit, I remember picking my two shows to get tickets to and mailing in a check for the riot act tour with no problems. Even in 1996 when they were super popular you just picked your one show and mailed in a check.

I think what we are saying is that this new system is entirely too complicated and non-transparent and ticketing has been done better in the past.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,644

PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

Here's an idea: use this forum to get what you need. Find a 10c partner & double up on your chances to get tickets for future lotteries / tours.

Download the TM smartphone app, I have a 100% success rate of scoring at least a single ticket through the app.

If you are hell bent on getting to this show, you'll find a way.

If not, then it wasn't meant to be.

Expecting PJ to fix your problems of living in the largest metropolis in the world is asking a bit much IMO.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

He's not arguing he can't get tickets. He's arguing he can't get tickets through the fan club. Of course any of us can scramble on Friday and try to score TM tix or pay premium prices on Stubhub. Not the point here nor subrockcitys point
    Right, but that's a stupid argument because we are all clearly members of the fan club that want to go to these shows through the 10c, as evidenced by the fact that everyone here is specifically the people that entered, some that won (hooray!), some that lost (boo!), and for anyone here to seriously claim that because they joined a fan club earlier than I did that they get to see this band when they want, how they want, and for the price they want to in perpetuity resulting in me NEVER having the opportunity to see this band play from the GA at the Garden, which has been a dream of mine forever (and I'm finally gonna be able to do, hooray!), while they get to do it for the umpeenth time is ludicrous. No one 'owns' this band people.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    NDJeff7 said:

I guess I'll weigh in. Been a member since 1993 and never had any issues getting tickets until the lottery started.

I don't think any of us older members are saying we need preferential treatment. What we are saying us that tickets used to be sold many different ways which were much better than this.

Shit, I remember picking my two shows to get tickets to and mailing in a check for the riot act tour with no problems. Even in 1996 when they were super popular you just picked your one show and mailed in a check.

I think what we are saying is that this new system is entirely too complicated and non-transparent and ticketing has been done better in the past.

The reason people are now having issues getting a ticket with the lottery is because it is a more fair system. Not less. The odds of getting tix has evened out with the lottery. Remember, for every ticket that you got in the past, that is another person who didn't get tix. Now you are one of those people. Equality. That is the reason 10C switched to the lottery. I think it's kind of funny that people see that fact as a flaw in the lottery system, when in fact it's a reflection of the success of the lottery system. If you literally got tix for every high demand show you ever went for in the past, then either it was a rigged game in your favour, or the difference between supply and demand was much smaller.
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,833
    edited January 2016
    Saltzy23 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

Right, but that's a stupid argument because we are all clearly members of the fan club that want to go to these shows through the 10c, as evidenced by the fact that everyone here is specifically the people that entered, some that won (hooray!), some that lost (boo!), and for anyone here to seriously claim that because they joined a fan club earlier than I did that they get to see this band when they want, how they want, and for the price they want to in perpetuity resulting in me NEVER having the opportunity to see this band play from the GA at the Garden, which has been a dream of mine forever (and I'm finally gonna be able to do, hooray!), while they get to do it for the umpeenth time is ludicrous. No one 'owns' this band people.
    He's not arguing anyone owns the band and either am I. No need to call anyone or anyones argument stupid either
  • Options
    NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 205
    PJ_Soul said:

NDJeff7 said:

The reason people are now having issues getting a ticket with the lottery is because it is a more fair system. Not less. The odds of getting tix has evened out with the lottery. Remember, for every ticket that you got in the past, that is another person who didn't get tix. Now you are one of those people. Equality. That is the reason 10C switched to the lottery. I think it's kind of funny that people see that fact as a flaw in the lottery system, when in fact it's a reflection of the success of the lottery system. If you literally got tix for every high demand show you ever went for in the past, then either it was a rigged game in your favour, or the difference between supply and demand was much smaller.
    A big difference was that you couldn't get ten club tickets to every show back then. So there wasn't the issue of me getting ten club tickets to 5 shows on a tour.

The Binaural tour I had to pick 1 show to get ten club tickets from and for any of the other shows I'd use ticketmaster. I don't follow them around the country so I was happy to be guaranteed that one show every tour.
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

it's not stupid just because you disagree with it. keep it classy folks.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,087

gmonet said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but seniority has never given an advantage to actually obtaining tickets has it? We all still had to sit and F5 correct?
    no, it hasn't. that is correct.

in no way am I suggesting this idea is perfect, as not everyone will ever think it's fair, but I think seniority and/or proximity to show should matter. I know this doesn't work for areas the band never plays, but it might help a little. I think it sucks that people can luck out on 8 shows becuase they can afford to follow the band around, but those of us that can't, get shut out of the one show we can go to. yes, I have travelled to see the band. not far, but I have, so that rule may have negated my ability to go to those, but still.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,506
    Maybe the band will get everyone a TM presale code so people can calm down.

They have in the past.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Saltzy23 said:

Here's an idea: use this forum to get what you need. Find a 10c partner & double up on your chances to get tickets for future lotteries / tours.

Download the TM smartphone app, I have a 100% success rate of scoring at least a single ticket through the app.

If you are hell bent on getting to this show, you'll find a way.

If not, then it wasn't meant to be.

Expecting PJ to fix your problems of living in the largest metropolis in the world is asking a bit much IMO.
    the fan club and the band are separate entities. I can ask the ten club to look into things, that's not the band.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,459

awesome!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

wmacson said:

rspina said:

This lottery system sucks, I've been in the club since 1994 and while odds are posted I should not have to be shut out of the shows being played in NY when i live on Long Island. I can not drop everything and travel to FLA where my odds are better. You should be allowed to mark shows as a hometown show. I was never shut out until this lottery was put into place. Mail order was the best system they had. Send a money order for each show and show up at the venue to pickup your tickets. Nothing against new fans they also deserve to experience the show but not getting one show that is 20 miles from my house is pretty fucked up. 2013 brooklyn was also a shut out. At this point I'm not even asking for close seats based on my seniority just put me in the building at face value so i don't have to waste my time with Ticketmaster. Personally I would like to go to both msg shows and Philly however i also have to work on Friday and my job blocks Ticketmaster. So i'm left with my phone and since i can only open one app at a time i will need to get one show if i'm lucky and then try for another and so on and by the time it's all said and done the shows will be sold out. Prior to a lottery system I never had a problem getting tickets to "high demand" shows like NYC, Philly, Boston, Hartford. During that time I'm sure they were taking on just as many new members. I would imagine they have the same 20% allotment for tickets at MSG that they've always had which gives them about 3500 tickets for the club per night. Regardless, a change needs to be made though because stub hub gets to be expensive.

Well said and I agree. I'm an over 20 year member and my brother is an over 21 year member. For the first time since joining the club, we did not get tickets. I went 0-8 and he went 0-8. I live 29 miles from MSG and work right across the street.

The club morphed to try and bypass the TM issue. Now I'm being told that meh, no worries, just go to ticketmaster. Sorry, this is not really in the spirit of the club.
    They tried to get away from ticketmaster but those bastards are a monopoly. They control the venues. Without ticketaster PJ was unable to secure the venues and had to play in obscure places or not at all. I think they had to go a couple years without touring.

Ticketmaster is the problem here and not too many other bands were willing to fight them with PJ to control their own tickets. Yes it sucks but if you wanna get mad at anyone get MAD at ticketmaster. They are a bunch of crooks!

The way tickets are handled these days totally sucks. I can live in Africa and buy a shitload of tickets for concerts in NY and re-sell them for 25 times face value on stub hub. Stub hub and all the other secondary sites are why we have this ticket problem. Nobody has faith in ticketmaster and for good reason. They suck ass!!!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    CC68885CC68885 Syracuse Posts: 23
    The "newer" system isn't great but I think it would be a lot better if they limited the # of shows that you can put in for. Some of us cant get to 10 shows a year, maybe only one. I wouldn't limit it to one show per tour but I would like to see a show limit at maybe 3. In '13 I put in for Buffalo and got snubbed but still got tickets 3rd level on the day of the public sale. It definitely sucked being so far away (than I am used to) but I still got to see the boys. This year I'm hoping for Fenway when they announce details.
    In the old system with my # @ 209,xxx I got great seats every single time. Those days are gone and hopefully I get lucky this year.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424
    edited January 2016
    Up to & including Riot Act, they were playing massive 70 show tours. The fan club was also allotted way more tickets back then. The fan club also had a lot fewer members back then. The odds were in our favor, but that was 13 years ago.

Today:
    -Fewer shows
    -Much lower 10C ticket allotment
    -More 10C members

Tickets are out there, though. Stubhub and $250 aren't your only friends. 3 of my last 4 shows have been via Ticketmaster.

Use the TM app on Friday!!!
This discussion has been closed.