• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,838

benjs said:

benjs said:

Trixie said:

VillagePJ said:

Trixie said:

wall05 said:

Shit happens. Deal with it. Some of you people sound so entitled in here it's crazy.

Entitled? No, just expecting tickets to the one and only show I can attend which is why I'm in the Club in the first place. The fact that they've changed the rules to a lottery system is what I can't swallow. The last time I had a chance to see PJ was three years ago and I won the fucking lottery, however, my point is I've now paid $150 since then and have gotten nothing. Does no one on this forum get this? Even the fact that they now renew our memberships without us having to actually do anything should've been a sign that this so called Club has clearly lost its way (i.e. if I forget to cancel my membership, they keep getting my money). Wake up people. Seniority now means jack shit and that is the ONLY reason any of us are in the fucking Club in the first place. DEEP and Christmas single (which doesn't even show up until mid-summer and usually fucking broken) ain't worth $50 a year.
    "Does no-one on this forum get this"?

Theres a reason why you cant see that others aren't getting it. Its called fairness and equality.

When demand is greater than supply the only fair way to give everyone a chance to win tickets is to have no hierarchy just because of age of membership.

Ive been going to live shows, since 1980 and never will that give me any more right to receive tickets to any show that I want to attend.
    Ive chosen to join 10c but it doesn't give me anymore right to a ticket than others that have joined since then.,

Did you care about others when you luckily got tickets for PJ shows? When you fully understand that you'll be able to answer you own question.
    "Demand is greater than supply"? If that was the case, all tickets would go to fan club members and never be offered to the general public. The band, the venue and promoters still get their money. And I've only been to one show since the lottery was implemented. I don't consider myself "lucky" to have won as there shouldn't have been any "luck" involved. When I saw how many people didn't luck out the last time they toured, I was pissed for them as well.
    This is not physically possible in today's market: Live Nation and Ticketmaster are mandatory ticketing partners for the vast majority of large venues in Canada and the US. They mandate that a certain percentage of tickets issued be sold by them, and not a filtered fan club subset. From my understanding, this is a substantial percentage of venues, and is incredibly difficult to negotiate. The lottery, and the Ten Club offerings, are two different issues. Maybe your anger would be best directed at TM/LN, who limit the good that Ten Club can afford its members.
    I've actually written extensively on anti-trust laws and touring, and again, I have yet to see that 10% statistic referenced externally.
    I find it hard to believe in a specific percentage, but I also find it hard to believe that the public could ever see this number. My guess is that this would be heavily NDA'ed, especially if it was variable (which it seems to be from artist to artist or venue to venue) - if TM isn't generating fees profit off of fan club tickets, they would want to minimize their opportunity cost as much as possible.
    pdalowsky said:

The arguments presented in this thread are bordering on sheer lunacy.

we have someone proclaiming they don't give a shit about the perks of membership other than the ticket chance, yet pays for the analogue package.

Baffled.com.

All this over a presale.....the general sale is still days away. Fucking nuts.

respectfully, I was on the digital package that's cheaper.
    Reference to the OP dude.
  • Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    my2hands said:

Trixie said:

Anyone paying 10c dues with the expectation of guaranteed tickets isn't very bright.

It clearly says tickets are not guaranteed. Read the fine print before you buy. It's not hard, and it's also a smart thing to do.

Who cares what the fine print NOW says. Tickets used to be guaranteed.
    you clearly have no clue what you're talking about...

you gambled and went for the hardest tickets to win on the tour... and lost... move on
    :clap:
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 369
    I feel your pain OP.

For me, this will be the last year I'll be part of 10C. I just don't feel like it's worth it any more. I much prefer when they'd put up tickets for sale and you either got them or you didn't. None of this lottery stuff.

They should honestly go back to the method they used in 2011, where they had 10C ticket sales handled through Ticketmaster. That was easily the smoothest 10C ticket sale in years.
  • Options

hedonist said:

so many people here are members for the tickets only??

I'm here for the degenerates (and the veal).
    Thanks for the smile on an otherwise tough morning!

As for tickets, it's a lottery. You gambled, you lost. (Not you Hedo) Plenty worse can happen. Suck it up and try for ticketmaster seats. So what if you have to sit with the peasants? You are still in the building.
    We're calling TM ticketholders peasants now?

Nice work, fan club.
  • Options
    JC38557JC38557 Posts: 33
    Ok, after a day of reflection of being shut out, I'm ok with the process. I'm going to try TM but I'm not confident about that. Ticketmaster is the worst. It'll be stubhub but I think I'll have some options. I know in the 2013 tour, Philly stubhub seats were pretty decently priced. Barclays tickets were crazy prices but I'm going to go to a MSG show, doesn't matter the cost.

It is what it is. I would prefer the band went back to the "you can only go to one show" but I'm not sure that would solve the Philly or NYC conundrum. It's called a lottery for a reason, not everyone can win.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    goldenegg said:

I feel your pain OP.

For me, this will be the last year I'll be part of 10C. I just don't feel like it's worth it any more. I much prefer when they'd put up tickets for sale and you either got them or you didn't. None of this lottery stuff.

They should honestly go back to the method they used in 2011, where they had 10C ticket sales handled through Ticketmaster. That was easily the smoothest 10C ticket sale in years.

What has changed? You still either get them or you don't. I did this time around. You apparently didn't
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    rspinarspina Posts: 37
    This lottery system sucks, I've been in the club since 1994 and while odds are posted I should not have to be shut out of the shows being played in NY when i live on Long Island. I can not drop everything and travel to FLA where my odds are better. You should be allowed to mark shows as a hometown show. I was never shut out until this lottery was put into place. Mail order was the best system they had. Send a money order for each show and show up at the venue to pickup your tickets. Nothing against new fans they also deserve to experience the show but not getting one show that is 20 miles from my house is pretty fucked up. 2013 brooklyn was also a shut out. At this point I'm not even asking for close seats based on my seniority just put me in the building at face value so i don't have to waste my time with Ticketmaster. Personally I would like to go to both msg shows and Philly however i also have to work on Friday and my job blocks Ticketmaster. So i'm left with my phone and since i can only open one app at a time i will need to get one show if i'm lucky and then try for another and so on and by the time it's all said and done the shows will be sold out. Prior to a lottery system I never had a problem getting tickets to "high demand" shows like NYC, Philly, Boston, Hartford. During that time I'm sure they were taking on just as many new members. I would imagine they have the same 20% allotment for tickets at MSG that they've always had which gives them about 3500 tickets for the club per night. Regardless, a change needs to be made though because stub hub gets to be expensive.
  • Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    edited January 2016
    i was o for 8 for philly and msg. my wife was 0 for 8 for philly and msg. ridiculous. i first joined the fan club in '97 and forgot to renew by about a month a few years ago and they wouldnt let me keep my old #. now i get completely shut out. lived in nyc my entire life, i work few blocks from msg, pearl jam is my fav band, theres no reason fan club tickets should come down to the luck of the draw to see my fav band in my home town.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrpink90 said:

i was o for 8 for philly and msg. my wife was 0 for 8 for philly and msg. ridiculous. i first joined the fan club in '97 and forgot to renew by about a month a few years ago and they wouldnt let me keep my old #. now i get completely shut out. lived in nyc my entire life, i work few blocks from msg, pearl jam is my fav band, theres no reason fan club tickets should come down to the luck of the draw to see my fav band in my home town.

There are plenty of reasons, they have all been dissected at length in this thread.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,391
    I am a member since 94. 0 for 8. First time ever. Im not happy, but I guess this is how it is now.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    0-8 is ridiculous..wow
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,391
    Yeah I liked the F5 days best. I never gave up and always got tickets, sometimes 5 hours later. I liked that the people who put the most time in ended up with them in that system. I get its not fair, no one has that kind of time, but if you did it paid off and I made sure I did.
  • Options
    JC38557JC38557 Posts: 33
    RS65573 said:

Yeah I liked the F5 days best. I never gave up and always got tickets, sometimes 5 hours later. I liked that the people who put the most time in ended up with them in that system. I get its not fair, no one has that kind of time, but if you did it paid off and I made sure I did.

I do agree with this. The F5 system was a pain but it was also the best. If you kept trying, you got it done and you were confirmed at the point of sale. That was cool, you could hustle and make it happen. With the lotto, you're just at the mercy of the "man". And that is never good. Even tho I am the man.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

hedonist said:

so many people here are members for the tickets only??

I'm here for the degenerates (and the veal).
    Thanks for the smile on an otherwise tough morning!

As for tickets, it's a lottery. You gambled, you lost. (Not you Hedo) Plenty worse can happen. Suck it up and try for ticketmaster seats. So what if you have to sit with the peasants? You are still in the building.
    We're calling TM ticketholders peasants now?

Nice work, fan club.
    FFS, it's called sarcasm. Look into it.
  • Options
    One thing to keep in mind with the Toronto show at the ACC or any arena shows in general that are home to pro sports teams... Their season ticket holders are offered their exact seats to concerts first. I don't know exact amounts but I'll guess that there is probably 15,000 Leafs season ticket holders and 19,000+ seats at the ACC. Obviously not all season ticket holders will purchase their seats for the Pearl Jam show, but a good portion will (a lot of season ticket holders in Toronto are ticket brokers) and between that and 10C presales it doesn't leave a whole lot of tickets left for Ticketmaster, hence Ticketmaster probably limits the 10C presale to a a pretty small portion. The Toronto area is known for having a large amount of 10c members so the odds of actually landing tickets for arena shows here now are really shit.

Like a lot say, I think it's gotten harder due to the band being more popular, more fan club members and that signing up for lottery tix requires little effort compared to the old F5 days (which made me fuckin sick, but did work out more often than not).
  • Options
    wmacsonwmacson Posts: 230
    rspina said:

This lottery system sucks, I've been in the club since 1994 and while odds are posted I should not have to be shut out of the shows being played in NY when i live on Long Island. I can not drop everything and travel to FLA where my odds are better. You should be allowed to mark shows as a hometown show. I was never shut out until this lottery was put into place. Mail order was the best system they had. Send a money order for each show and show up at the venue to pickup your tickets. Nothing against new fans they also deserve to experience the show but not getting one show that is 20 miles from my house is pretty fucked up. 2013 brooklyn was also a shut out. At this point I'm not even asking for close seats based on my seniority just put me in the building at face value so i don't have to waste my time with Ticketmaster. Personally I would like to go to both msg shows and Philly however i also have to work on Friday and my job blocks Ticketmaster. So i'm left with my phone and since i can only open one app at a time i will need to get one show if i'm lucky and then try for another and so on and by the time it's all said and done the shows will be sold out. Prior to a lottery system I never had a problem getting tickets to "high demand" shows like NYC, Philly, Boston, Hartford. During that time I'm sure they were taking on just as many new members. I would imagine they have the same 20% allotment for tickets at MSG that they've always had which gives them about 3500 tickets for the club per night. Regardless, a change needs to be made though because stub hub gets to be expensive.

Well said and I agree. I'm an over 20 year member and my brother is an over 21 year member. For the first time since joining the club, we did not get tickets. I went 0-8 and he went 0-8. I live 29 miles from MSG and work right across the street.

• Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 652
    edited January 2016
    What were your picks going 0-8?
    All philly and ny?
    There was no chance that you were going to get either one of those past the 2nd pick. A lot of people got tix to both of those shows picking reserved.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,622

One thing to keep in mind with the Toronto show at the ACC or any arena shows in general that are home to pro sports teams... Their season ticket holders are offered their exact seats to concerts first. I don't know exact amounts but I'll guess that there is probably 15,000 Leafs season ticket holders and 19,000+ seats at the ACC.

I dont think this is true. At least at most venues. Maybe a small % of luxury seats get rights to events, but not the STH.
  • Options
    RS65573 said:

Even though I did win this time. I too liked the old way better. That way nobody could blame the 10club. It was all up to your timing and determination to get a ticket. I always got tickets that way. I think the F5 disaster was in 2011 and I got tickets to every show I wanted. It took 12 hours but I didn't give up.

Back in Ye old days before the internet I would have to sleep outside overnight in front of the ticket offices, sometimes in below zero temps. Those were the best ticket days of my life.
    I had front row to all the best bands almost every time.

Also I think the public sale ticket purchasers should have to show I.D. at the gate that matches the I.D. from the ticket buyer. That's why there is so much fear of not getting a ticket at face value. Every scalper in the world gets in on this scalping game. I think even ticketmaster gets in on it themselves.

Scalping should go back to being illegal, Stub hub and all those secondary ticket sites should be shut down!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,506
    wres96 said:

All this crying is crazy!! Everyone can still get tickets to the greatest band in the public sale. No matter what everyone isn't going to be happy!!! I didn't win the lottery, but I will be at both shows at msg, to see the greatest band in the world... No matter what!!

This
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

One thing to keep in mind with the Toronto show at the ACC or any arena shows in general that are home to pro sports teams... Their season ticket holders are offered their exact seats to concerts first. I don't know exact amounts but I'll guess that there is probably 15,000 Leafs season ticket holders and 19,000+ seats at the ACC.

I dont think this is true. At least at most venues. Maybe a small % of luxury seats get rights to events, but not the STH.
    I can tell you 100% it's true at the ACC with Leafs season ticket holders.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424
    For those that need to go the Ticketmaster route, my experience from the 2013 & '14 US tours was that the TM phone app was a lot easier & faster to get tickets than the full-blown website.
  • Options
    wmacsonwmacson Posts: 230
    jdopj said:

What were your picks going 0-8?
    All philly and ny?
    There was no chance that you were going to get either one of those past the 2nd pick. A lot of people got tix to both of those shows picking reserved.

Yes, all Philly and NY and first four picks for each were reserved tickets. Like rspina said above, I can't just get on a plane and fly somewhere to see shows. If it's in my "hometown", it would be nice to have a better shot. That's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    To no one in particular...
    I don't think it's really going 0-8 if your picks are NY1GA, NY1RS, NY2GA, NY2RS, PH1GA, PH1RS, PH2GA, PH2RS.

There are only 2 shows that could possibly win tickets to out of those picks, you went 0-2.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Abernethy89Abernethy89 Posts: 6
    edited January 2016
    One thing that's been brought up a lot is that people cannot travel to the shows that had higher odds of winning in the lottery (i.e. FL, etc.). So you're stuck entering the lottery for the bigger market cities like NY and Philly. BUT--how many times in the past 8 years has PJ played in these markets? A good amount. You know how many times they've played down in Florida? Last time was 2008.

So...maybe you could only enter for NY because that's where you live and you can't travel. I can't afford to travel either. So these past 8 years, I've had to watch and wait. I've had to hope they decide to come on down to ole Florida. And for the last 8 years I've lost this "lottery." But they finally did this year! And I got lucky and got tickets and get to see them live for the second time since 2008 (originally forgot to include Pensacola DeLuna Fest show because it was a festival—my bad). And sure part of me being able to get tickets was because this is a smaller market and I put them as first priority; but hey, I'll take it.

So yeah it sucks you may not have gotten tickets this time. But be thankful you have the opportunity to see this incredible band somewhat frequently within an area that is essentially driving distance for you. Be thankful they still do tour at all. And be thankful they offer you the opportunity to have a chance to get these great fan club seats.
    Post edited by Abernethy89 on
  • Options
    wmacson said:

rspina said:

Well said and I agree. I'm an over 20 year member and my brother is an over 21 year member. For the first time since joining the club, we did not get tickets. I went 0-8 and he went 0-8. I live 29 miles from MSG and work right across the street.

The club morphed to try and bypass the TM issue. Now I'm being told that meh, no worries, just go to ticketmaster. Sorry, this is not really in the spirit of the club.
  • Options

One thing that's been brought up a lot is that people cannot travel to the shows that had higher odds of winning in the lottery (i.e. FL, etc.). So you're stuck entering the lottery for the bigger market cities like NY and Philly. BUT--how many times in the past 8 years has PJ played in these markets? A good amount. You know how many times they've played down in Florida? Last time was 2008.

So...maybe you could only enter for NY because that's where you live and you can't travel. I can't afford to travel either. So these past 8 years, I've had to watch and wait. I've had to hope they decide to come on down to ole Florida. And for the last 8 years I've lost this "lottery." But they finally did this year! And I got lucky and got tickets and get to see them live for the first time since 2008. And sure part of me being able to get tickets was because this is a smaller market and I put them as first priority; but hey, I'll take it.

So yeah it sucks you may not have gotten tickets this time. But be thankful you have the opportunity to see this incredible band somewhat frequently within an area that is essentially driving distance for you. Be thankful they still do tour at all. And be thankful they offer you the opportunity to have a chance to get these great fan club seats.

Great 1st post.
    And CONGRATS on your Florida shows!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

So...maybe you could only enter for NY because that's where you live and you can't travel. I can't afford to travel either. So these past 8 years, I've had to watch and wait. I've had to hope they decide to come on down to ole Florida. And for the last 8 years I've lost this "lottery." But they finally did this year! And I got lucky and got tickets and get to see them live for the first time since 2008. And sure part of me being able to get tickets was because this is a smaller market and I put them as first priority; but hey, I'll take it.

this might be the case for NY and Philly, but there are those with this ongoing problem in less common markets.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,749
    edited January 2016
    Wma31394 said:

0-8 is ridiculous..wow

Not really. I have seen angry people posting screenshots of their lottery results, and they picked shit like NYC GA, Philly GA, NYC2 GA, Philly 2 GA as their first 4 picks, and then reserved for those 4 shows as their 5th to 8th picks, lmao. And they are so mad that they didn't win anything. :lol: (edit: which I see rgambs already pointed out!)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited January 2016
    Wow, this thread makes me sad.

Several points, if I may. Dudes and dudettes that have been 10c members forever, I fully understand your pride in how long you have been a member. Well done. I, as well as many in the 35+ club have been following this band just as long as you have. I have been at every NY area show for as long as I can remember. I've been to something like 12 or 13 shows, I lost count somewhere along the way. I always knew about the 10c, but before the internet I never really thought enough to join. It was only recently that I said 'Fuck it' and joined, which I am incredibly happy I did. Anyway, I have figured out ways to get in to every show, and so will you if you didn't win and you are industrious. My point though is that for any of you to claim that just because you sent in a membership application to this club way the hell back when doesn't somehow give you the right of first refusal on the best seats in the hardest places to score tickets in perpetuity. Explain to me how that is fair? You get to see the same band I call my favorite band from the GA at the Garden AGAIN for $94 while I have to scramble on Stubhub trying to find a cheap seat for less than $250 AGAIN? All because you sent a post card in like 12 years ago and I didn't? Yeah, bullshit on that. The music and everyone's enjoyment is what is important, not how low your number is in a fan club. Some of you people have forgotten that me thinks.
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
This discussion has been closed.