Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    rr165892 said:

Great workout yesterday. Chest and shoulders. Just recently started doing pec flyes on the cable machine and I think I much prefer that to the regular machine. I can't do as much weight yet, but I like the constant tension it provides while doing the exercise.

Try this.
    Take a weight plate you can safely hold between your open palms (like you are praying) without gripping your fingers in the hole for support.I use a 25lb plate but start with a ten until you feel comfy.
    While standing hold the plate in the above position close to your chest and extend straight out until arms are extended at mid pec height Again hands in a praying type position but finger should be roughly in position of movement(facing forward).Out and back to chest is 1 rep.Do 4 sets of 20 reps.It will blast the inner pec.Great for definition,great pump.Also gives the tris some nice definition also.
    Cool. Always looking for new stuff to incorporate into my workouts. Will have to try it out next time. That would be a good one for home when I can't make it to the gym.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258

Shoulders, chest and triceps this morning. Woke up with mild-moderate soreness from yesterday - the good kind of sore, not over the top can't move sore. Was able to push through the workout and for 2nd day in a row, no post work out low blood sugar. Managing basal rates on my insulin pump effectively through it all - still in a bit of a 'see what affects what' mode as it's been some years since I've done a work out program. On a side note, also slept very soundly last night.

Awesome!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Posts: 1,504

rr165892 said:

Mark,they are your building blocks of protein.If your diet has enough good lean meats,nuts,legumes,and dairy you probably are getting enough.I don't take any additional,but the protein powder I use has some in it.Save your money and put it toward better sups like proteins and whole food probiotic compounds(like Green Vibrance)

I guess this is more a question for rr165892 or PJ_Soul (if she still reads this thread), although anyone is welcome to chime in.

What are your thoughts on BCAAs? Do they work or is it just wasting money for minimal results?

It depends on what your goal is. BCAA is not a waste of money. It's a must if you're goal is to build muscle and get stronger and improve muscle endurance. If you don't kill yourself/muscles working-out for more than an hour about 4-5 times a week, I'd say it's a waste. Regular balanced diet and maybe a recovery/protein drink will be sufficient, as already mentioned.

Also BCAA is very cheap if you mix it yourself. It's pretty simple... leucine (most important), isoleucine and valine... you can buy each in powder form. Traditional mix ratio is 3:1:1 but I find 2:1:1 more effective for me (everyone is different). Mixing your own is not going to be as fruity as the famous pre-mixed brands but you know what you're drinking and for much cheaper. You just gotta be able to close your eyes and down a bitter cup of shit 2 - 3 times a day. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the info guys. I've researched the science behind it, I just don't know anyone that actually uses them. It's tough getting good info on actual results with it because it's tough weeding out which sites are giving honest opinions and which ones are just trying to guide you into buying their supplements. I know the protein mix I buy has leucine (and maybe isoleucine), but I don't think it's all that much. I think, for the time being, I'll just stick with what I'm doing now as I'm getting good results with my nutrition and workouts. If I get to a point where I'm wanting to add a lot of muscle, I might give them a try. Still, appreciate the input.
    Good luck. As per finding real results, I use it. I do before and after working out and one random time during the day and I love it. Muscle endurance and strength are probably biggest difference. Although, you're going to have to find out yourself how it will affect your own body and find your own balance. Dont rely on anyone else's results. It's like going to doctors. One will tell you you just need to rest, the other will tell you you have cancer
    Thanks again. Are you using them strictly to gain a lot of muscle? I've been going back and forth with trying them. I guess without knowing a whole lot about the various supplements and not yet having done much research, I'm just trying to determine what's worth taking and what makes really expensive pee, as Sheldon Cooper once said :lol:
    Or poop. You also have to be doing the right workouts. Not too little, not too much
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Sore in all the right muscle groups this morning. Shoulder dips were intense yesterday. I think I feel the shoulders a bit more than the chest and tri's. Today is just a cardio day, back to weights tomorrow. On another side note - I'm using Qwest protein powder and I made my first 'shake' yesterday. 4 oz. milk, one whole banana and one serving of the powder. Shit came out of the blender so damn thick I had to use a spoon to get it out. Probably more sludge like than shake like. Going to use water after today's workout and skip the banana.
    www.cluthelee.com
    A very good shake for a pick-me-up is

1 banana
    3 dates
    3/4 cup soy milk

Put it all in a food processor or blender and enjoy!

It is sweet with all sorts of things that are good for you.

3 miles running in segments today. Time to celebrate National Donut Day!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Ms. Haiku said:

1 banana
    3 dates
    3/4 cup soy milk

Good job on the 3 miles! I would add a dollop of nut buter to that shake if it was me!

I have not been running since April 20th... :disappointed:

I did work all day with shovels, rakes, hoes, and a heavy duty rear tine tiller today, plus I scraped my boat down and vacuumed the chips up after a nice 300 yard swim...so not a bad day!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Ms. Haiku said:

1 banana
    3 dates
    3/4 cup soy milk

Good job on the 3 miles! I would add a dollop of nut buter to that shake if it was me!

I have not been running since April 20th... :disappointed:

I did work all day with shovels, rakes, hoes, and a heavy duty rear tine tiller today, plus I scraped my boat down and vacuumed the chips up after a nice 300 yard swim...so not a bad day!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,301
    I'd rather ship out if I have to cut back on pizza.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

I'd rather ship out if I have to cut back on pizza.

I thought that about pasta. I had it about 5 days a week for about 20 years. LOVE IT!

When I restarted running I was waking up at 4:30 am and eating dinner at 8 pm. I didn't feel good during my run. Without much thought I changed my eating habits. I have it about once a month. If I can do this I can do anything.
    3 miles in segments on the treadmill. Doing good.
    Legs & abs/core today. Ugh. Really felt my lack of overall strength today. Dumbbell lunges were KILLER.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Legs & abs/core today. Ugh. Really felt my lack of overall strength today. Dumbbell lunges were KILLER.

Stationary or walking on those dumbbell lunges?
    Ms. Haiku said:

1 banana
    3 dates
    3/4 cup soy milk

Guys watch the soy milk.
    But sounds good otherwise,maybe beef up the protein a bit for a balanced delivery.Add a scoop of protein powder,or powdered peanut butter.Some nice sustained energy.
    rr165892 said:

Stationary or walking on those dumbbell lunges?
    Stationary all 3 sets. Not ready for walking yet!
    Legs and core sore this morning, but not bad so I think I've got the right amount of weights for now. Biceps, back & cardio today. Diet is going along nice. Scale says I dropped 3 lbs last week. Which seems like a lot for a week, but I'll take it! Wife, daughter and I celebrated 11 year wedding anniversary at our favorite restaurant last night. Normally I pig out on smoked ribs, beer and etc etc. It wasn't tough ordering the blackened chicken salad & skipping ice cream afterwards! Blood sugars definitely noticed the difference overnight - typically high fat dinner I'll be up a few times a night peeing from elevated sugars & wake up the same. That's how fat tends to impact me. Up to 10 hours later. Same thing with pizza for dinner. Keep up the great work everyone!
    www.cluthelee.com
    Rocking end to my first week. Got a great schedule going. Thanks for all the comments! I'll keep you all posted in a few months on how things are.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Great job 2fr! Imo, the first week of actually getting started was the hardest part. Becomes a lot easier after that. Keep up the good work!

I've been getting some good lifting sessions the past week. Getting closer to some of goals.
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Was able to get to the gym 5 days this week. 3rd week in, worked all body parts except arms. Just don't believe in having guns, lol. Will start pushing some heavier weight soon. More important to be consistent in just going now.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!

Was able to get to the gym 5 days this week. 3rd week in, worked all body parts except arms. Just don't believe in having guns, lol. Will start pushing some heavier weight soon. More important to be consistent in just going now.

So you're going for the T-Rex look? Kidding, kind of.

No. Just have my priorities in(the right)order(for me).

1) Life : Heart = cardio
    2) Things I really enjoy doing; snowboarding, biking, hiking, concerts : Legs,back,abs & shoulders
    3) Looking good:blush: . I'm already married, no one else to impress, lol: chest & arms

What You Giving

3 miles in segments on a treadmill. I'm starting to feel the work pay off as part of the run felt comfortable and graceful. I'm pretty excited about that. :)

No. Just have my priorities in(the right)order(for me).

1) Life Heart = cardio
    2) Things I really enjoy doing; snowboarding, biking, hiking, concerts : Legs,back,abs & shoulders
    3) Looking good:blush: . I'm already married, no one else to impress, lol chest & arms

I understand man. I really was just kidding. Your post just made me think of a guy at my gym that I never see work on arms and it shows too. He's got a very muscular torso, but nothing at all for arms. Very odd looking because of not being all in proportion. And I say that as someone who finds it difficult to build arm muscle. Mine isn't for lack of trying, but his is.
    Ms. Haiku said:

3 miles in segments on a treadmill. I'm starting to feel the work pay off as part of the run felt comfortable and graceful. I'm pretty excited about that. :)

:clap: Good job

I understand man. I really was just kidding. Your post just made me think of a guy at my gym that I never see work on arms and it shows too. He's got a very muscular torso, but nothing at all for arms. Very odd looking because of not being all in proportion. And I say that as someone who finds it difficult to build arm muscle. Mine isn't for lack of trying, but his is.

No worries, I got it, no offense was taken.
    Use to be in real good shape for work, retired NYC fireman. 190-195lbs with less than 10% body fat. That was until a major injury(15years ago) dropped me down to 145 in 3 months. Had 3+ years of physical therapy, then off & on pt & gym for the last 12years. Now I'm at my HS graduation(1977)weight(without most of the muscle, lol). Lower weight allows me to be in less pain. At my age, just trying to maintain what I have left.

What You Giving

No worries, I got it, no offense was taken.
    Use to be in real good shape for work, retired NYC fireman. 190-195lbs with less than 10% body fat. That was until a major injury(15years ago) dropped me down to 145 in 3 months. Had 3+ years of physical therapy, then off & on pt & gym for the last 12years. Now I'm at my HS graduation(1977)weight(without most of the muscle, lol). Lower weight allows me to be in less pain. At my age, just trying to maintain what I have left.

I'd say that is an expectable reason.

Rehabbing is a bitch.
    I pulled something in my trap during rear shrugs about 3 weeks ago.Getting trigger point headaches from it,that's a nice added bonus.Chiro and PT hasn't been able to reset it.Cortazone injections Monday afternoon is next.Getting older sucks.Still worked thru a nice heavy chest/Tri session today.

Anyone see the story of the twin yoga instructors and the murder case in Hawaii? They used to live here in south Florida .My wife used to do her yoga classes with them.She said they were weird years ago.i guess she was right.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Weighed myself yesterday, and I'm officially over a deuce (and this was after dropping a deuce).

I just want to say thank you. I couldn't have done it without your support. Oh, and Massachusetts. Massachusetts helped a lot, too.

Next stop: diabetes.

Yay!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    rr165892 said:

Anyone see the story of the twin yoga instructors and the murder case in Hawaii? They used to live here in south Florida .My wife used to do her yoga classes with them.She said they were weird years ago.i guess she was right.

Didn't hear of it.

I'm in Deerfield Beach. Where are you living down here?
    What You Giving

dankind said:

Weighed myself yesterday, and I'm officially over a deuce (and this was after dropping a deuce).

I just want to say thank you. I couldn't have done it without your support. Oh, and Massachusetts. Massachusetts helped a lot, too.

Next stop: diabetes.

Yay!

Congratulations!
    Before my training session yesterday, my trainer asked what I had recently worked on this week. Told him what I did Monday and Tuesday and he grins and says "That means leg day today, but we're going to test you today." Immediately I think "oh, f***" :lol: Started with leg press supersetted with dead lifts. Worked the leg press up until it was about 450lbs. Followed all that with about 100 weighted squats, 50 lunges per leg, and 25 single leg squats per leg. Holy crap my legs are on fire.

Tldr: thank God I'm sitting at my desk all day today :lol:

Before my training session yesterday, my trainer asked what I had recently worked on this week. Told him what I did Monday and Tuesday and he grins and says "That means leg day today, but we're going to test you today." Immediately I think "oh, f***" :lol: Started with leg press supersetted with dead lifts. Worked the leg press up until it was about 450lbs. Followed all that with about 100 weighted squats, 50 lunges per leg, and 25 single leg squats per leg. Holy crap my legs are on fire.

Way to push it. Wish I could work out like that again.
    What You Giving

Wow! You go!