Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    RKCNDY said:

Awesome!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

My guess is trying to do too much too quickly. If I don't ease in increases in speed, distances, etc, I generally will start to develop shin splints or, like you described, a pain in my lower back.

I try to incorporate increases a quarter of a mile per mile at a time. Start at speed x for 3/4 of a mile then increase to y for the last 1/4 mile. Drop back down to start speed for mile 2 and repeat. When you're ready, the next progression would be half miles, then 3/4 mile, then finally the whole mile at the increased speed. I'm not the most eloquent with my words, so I hope that makes sense. It takes longer to get those increases in, but it sure beats hurting.
    ########

Good idea, markymark550
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834

I SAW PEARL JAM
    My back hurt yesterday so I didn't run, and it is still hurting/nagging me today. I'm not at the point when I run daily, but I still feel like I am missing something. Hopefully it will feel better soon.

How long would you wait? Would you just run through the pain to loosen your muscles?
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    I would be careful about running through pain, depending on what is hurting. Don't want to risk aggravating it further and causing it to be more serious.

I'd be more apt to push through the pain if it's muscular. Try massage or heat packs to see if that helps. If it's joint/bone/spine pain, I would wait until it feels better to get back to it.
    Also, try to do some back exercises to help strengthen it. That should help as well. If you don't belong to a gym, google "no equipment back exercises" to get an idea of things you can do.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited May 2016
    Good to see y'all still grinding it out.

RK,you lovely klutzy woman you.:) glad to see you back on the P 90x and getting healthy.please try not to fall into the tv or stumble into a bookshelf.sheesh

Nice results Mark.Way to go.5k should keep you motivated

Haiku,look into a foam roller for the back and It bands after a leg workout.

For protein I like the Syntha -6 isolate(whey and Casien) in strawberry. But in a pinch Chocalate milk or yogurt works great.Super important to have a carb in the after workout drink for glucose uptake(think delivery system for the protein.

DK,get out of here you lazy unhealthy douche.Dont you have some snow to shovel or something.

Jose,good on you getting it moving.So glad our local senior citzens also like to stay healthy,lol.

Post edited by rr165892 on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited May 2016
    I haven't run in a month.
    :disappointed:

I put a few pounds on but I'm still 35lbs down, I am planning to get back on track starting tomorrow, fingers crossed lol

As I sit here typing this with a mocha frappe in hand, I think I will need a kick in the ass, let's hope I can get it done myself.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Um...can rocking out hardcore at a concert for 3 hours straight replace my regular workout?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

Um...can rocking out hardcore at a concert for 3 hours straight replace my regular workout?

RKCNDY said:

Fuck yeah it can!
    RKCNDY said:

I think so.
    I agree,it's great cardio.
    Last night's workout:

And
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    dankind said:

Last night's workout:

And

It's working. I can see your mussels.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

dankind said:

Last night's workout:

And

It's working. I can see your mussels.
    Clever!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I felt fine Sunday...okay fine-ish. I'm feeling everything today...I hurt all over.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    I guess this is more a question for rr165892 or PJ_Soul (if she still reads this thread), although anyone is welcome to chime in.

What are your thoughts on BCAAs? Do they work or is it just wasting money for minimal results?
    1.5 hours of shoveling and 2 hours of tilling...I'm calling that a good workout.
    rgambs said:

1.5 hours of shoveling and 2 hours of tilling...I'm calling that a good workout.

I washed two cars, two bathrooms, mowed the lawn with a reel mower and replaced a dryer vent on Sunday. I'm still sore.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Mark,they are your building blocks of protein.If your diet has enough good lean meats,nuts,legumes,and dairy you probably are getting enough.I don't take any additional,but the protein powder I use has some in it.Save your money and put it toward better sups like proteins and whole food probiotic compounds(like Green Vibrance)
    Some peeps I know use the liquid amigos as an add for shakes and smoothies.
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Posts: 1,504

I guess this is more a question for rr165892 or PJ_Soul (if she still reads this thread), although anyone is welcome to chime in.

What are your thoughts on BCAAs? Do they work or is it just wasting money for minimal results?

It depends on what your goal is. BCAA is not a waste of money. It's a must if you're goal is to build muscle and get stronger and improve muscle endurance. If you don't kill yourself/muscles working-out for more than an hour about 4-5 times a week, I'd say it's a waste. Regular balanced diet and maybe a recovery/protein drink will be sufficient, as already mentioned.

Also BCAA is very cheap if you mix it yourself. It's pretty simple... leucine (most important), isoleucine and valine... you can buy each in powder form. Traditional mix ratio is 3:1:1 but I find 2:1:1 more effective for me (everyone is different). Mixing your own is not going to be as fruity as the famous pre-mixed brands but you know what you're drinking and for much cheaper. You just gotta be able to close your eyes and down a bitter cup of shit 2 - 3 times a day. Hope this helps.
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Started going back to the gym this week. Would like to be able to get there 4-5 days for the next few weeks. Motivation is key, my willpower not nearly as good as it use to be. Turning 57 soon, it doesn't get easier that for sure, lol.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
    rr165892 said:

Mark,they are your building blocks of protein.If your diet has enough good lean meats,nuts,legumes,and dairy you probably are getting enough.I don't take any additional,but the protein powder I use has some in it.Save your money and put it toward better sups like proteins and whole food probiotic compounds(like Green Vibrance)

It depends on what your goal is. BCAA is not a waste of money. It's a must if you're goal is to build muscle and get stronger and improve muscle endurance. If you don't kill yourself/muscles working-out for more than an hour about 4-5 times a week, I'd say it's a waste. Regular balanced diet and maybe a recovery/protein drink will be sufficient, as already mentioned.

Also BCAA is very cheap if you mix it yourself. It's pretty simple... leucine (most important), isoleucine and valine... you can buy each in powder form. Traditional mix ratio is 3:1:1 but I find 2:1:1 more effective for me (everyone is different). Mixing your own is not going to be as fruity as the famous pre-mixed brands but you know what you're drinking and for much cheaper. You just gotta be able to close your eyes and down a bitter cup of shit 2 - 3 times a day. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the info guys. I've researched the science behind it, I just don't know anyone that actually uses them. It's tough getting good info on actual results with it because it's tough weeding out which sites are giving honest opinions and which ones are just trying to guide you into buying their supplements. I know the protein mix I buy has leucine (and maybe isoleucine), but I don't think it's all that much. I think, for the time being, I'll just stick with what I'm doing now as I'm getting good results with my nutrition and workouts. If I get to a point where I'm wanting to add a lot of muscle, I might give them a try. Still, appreciate the input.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Just signed up with Bodybuilding.com
    Trying 12 weeks Lee Labrada's program, along with the diet. Says it's like 70% diet. This shit is gonna be hard, but it's high time.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Posts: 1,504

rr165892 said:

Thanks for the info guys. I've researched the science behind it, I just don't know anyone that actually uses them. It's tough getting good info on actual results with it because it's tough weeding out which sites are giving honest opinions and which ones are just trying to guide you into buying their supplements. I know the protein mix I buy has leucine (and maybe isoleucine), but I don't think it's all that much. I think, for the time being, I'll just stick with what I'm doing now as I'm getting good results with my nutrition and workouts. If I get to a point where I'm wanting to add a lot of muscle, I might give them a try. Still, appreciate the input.
    Good luck. As per finding real results, I use it. I do before and after working out and one random time during the day and I love it. Muscle endurance and strength are probably biggest difference. Although, you're going to have to find out yourself how it will affect your own body and find your own balance. Dont rely on anyone else's results. It's like going to doctors. One will tell you you just need to rest, the other will tell you you have cancer

Started going back to the gym this week. Would like to be able to get there 4-5 days for the next few weeks. Motivation is key, my willpower not nearly as good as it use to be. Turning 57 soon, it doesn't get easier that for sure, lol.

Good luck and have fun, guacamolejoe!

Just signed up with Bodybuilding.com
    Trying 12 weeks Lee Labrada's program, along with the diet. Says it's like 70% diet. This shit is gonna be hard, but it's high time.

Does your program promote a drastic diet change or a moderate diet change? I think changing a little at a time may be easier and could be maintained.
    Good luck guacamolejoe and 2-feign-reluctance!

And yeah, diet is the most important part of it. You can kill it in the gym, but if you're eating crap whatever you do in your workouts won't be as effective. I hate to use the word diet though, because it's more of a lifestyle change than modifying habits for a little while.

rr165892 said:

Good luck. As per finding real results, I use it. I do before and after working out and one random time during the day and I love it. Muscle endurance and strength are probably biggest difference. Although, you're going to have to find out yourself how it will affect your own body and find your own balance. Dont rely on anyone else's results. It's like going to doctors. One will tell you you just need to rest, the other will tell you you have cancer
    Thanks again. Are you using them strictly to gain a lot of muscle? I've been going back and forth with trying them. I guess without knowing a whole lot about the various supplements and not yet having done much research, I'm just trying to determine what's worth taking and what makes really expensive pee, as Sheldon Cooper once said :lol: