Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    Afib again. Doctors will figure something out. I wonder if stress from unemployment causes it, or it is what it is.

Haven't run in a while with my hurt back, but hopefully soon. Tried an easy yoga routine yesterday and that didn't hurt me. That's a start in the right direction.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Ms. Haiku said:

Just signed up with Bodybuilding.com
    Trying 12 weeks Lee Labrada's program, along with the diet. Says it's like 70% diet. This shit is gonna be hard, but it's high time.

Does your program promote a drastic diet change or a moderate diet change? I think changing a little at a time may be easier and could be maintained.
    Pretty drastic for me - plus I have type I diabetes, so I can't really do a no carb type of diet. I'm going to my dietician for that and will just have to see how this style of work out hits my BGs pre and post.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    edited May 2016
    Ms. Haiku said:

Afib again. Doctors will figure something out. I wonder if stress from unemployment causes it, or it is what it is.

Haven't run in a while with my hurt back, but hopefully soon. Tried an easy yoga routine yesterday and that didn't hurt me. That's a start in the right direction.

Hope you get it figured out soon. Heart issues like that are no joke. My wife has PSVT and has to take a beta blocker to help control her heartrate. Certain things like caffeine and alcohol will trigger it so she has to be careful about what she eats/drinks. Being overly stressed out can trigger it too. I'll admit I get very scared for her when she has an episode of it.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Mark,How's your progress?
    Have you added strength while leaning out?
    Does your trainer give you recommendations on matching your diet and workout to your body goals?
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Ms. Haiku said:

Oh Ms. H. Sorry for all the trouble you're having. Stress helps nothing...uggh. Have faith. It took me 9 months to find my last job, but it was the perfect fit so stay positive! Hope it gets worked out soon, thats a scary thing no matter what.

As for me I've been lazy and pretty "bad". Nothing like where I was when i started the thread but I have backed up a bit. I have a few parties this weekend and I'm not stressing about it too much. I'm going to enjoy and focus on treating my body well.
    I started a walking group at my beach. So far it's hit or miss with a lot of the ladies that wanted to walk together 3 or 4 days a week. I'm all excited if one or two show up. I think once the holiday is over we will get on track.
    I saw I missed 42 posts...wow. I have been bad.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396

Good luck guacamolejoe and 2-feign-reluctance!

And yeah, diet is the most important part of it. You can kill it in the gym, but if you're eating crap whatever you do in your workouts won't be as effective. I hate to use the word diet though, because it's more of a lifestyle change than modifying habits for a little while.

Thanks for encouragement!

You are what you eat, that's for sure.
    To me,
    Food = Fuel;
    By definition 1: something consumed to produce energy.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Ms. Haiku said:

Started going back to the gym this week. Would like to be able to get there 4-5 days for the next few weeks. Motivation is key, my willpower not nearly as good as it use to be. Turning 57 soon, it doesn't get easier that for sure, lol.

Good luck and have fun, guacamolejoe!
    Thanks.
    Ms. Haiku said:

Hope your doctors can solve the problem.

So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
    rr165892 said:

Mark,How's your progress?
    Have you added strength while leaning out?
    Does your trainer give you recommendations on matching your diet and workout to your body goals?

I think my progress is going well. Can definitely tell that I'm getting stronger and it's starting to show as well. Still have some stubborn belly fat to get rid of though. The diet and workouts the trainer does are geared more towards fat loss. Once I am able to get the belly fat off, I'm going to need to modify my diet to be able to keep building muscle.

Good luck guacamolejoe and 2-feign-reluctance!

And yeah, diet is the most important part of it. You can kill it in the gym, but if you're eating crap whatever you do in your workouts won't be as effective. I hate to use the word diet though, because it's more of a lifestyle change than modifying habits for a little while.

Thanks for encouragement!

You are what you eat, that's for sure.
    To me,
    Food = Fuel;
    By definition 1: something consumed to produce energy.
    You're welcome! We're all supportive here!

And you definitely are what you eat, no doubt about that.
    1 mile in segments. Just starting back after the break. Need to work out earlier because heat comes through the roof windows. My goal is to work out consistently. Once I do that I can focus on strength. Looking forward to it.

Sprunkn7 I'm a walker. One of my favorite things to do. If we meet up at a concert we should walk around :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    edited May 2016
    I put my bathing suit on for the first time this season, like in public for the beach. Well, that gives me some more motivation! There are a lot of very brave ladies out there.... wearing two piece suits that have way less than the perfect bikini image. I guess they're super confident with their bodies and just are so comfortable in their skin they don't care. I wish I could feel like that!

Mrs H, sorry I missed you in philly! You going to Fenway?
    Post edited by Sprunkn7 on
    Sprunkn,I'm glad you realize that image thing is something you ladies create in your own head.As dudes we are not nearly as critical on how you gals look.We are just glad your not wearing much clothing.lol
    Rock what you got! Who cares what the TV commercials and media portray as ideal.They are wrong.
    edited May 2016
    Sprunkn7 said:

I put my bathing suit on for the first time this season, like in public for the beach. Well, that gives me some more motivation! There are a lot of very brave ladies out there.... wearing two piece suits that have way less than the perfect bikini image. I guess they're super confident with their bodies and just are so comfortable in their skin they don't care. I wish I could feel like that!

Mrs H, sorry I missed you in philly! You going to Fenway?

I have tickets for August 7. If I have a job I will go.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    rr165892 said:

Sprunkn,I'm glad you realize that image thing is something you ladies create in your own head.As dudes we are not nearly as critical on how you gals look.We are just glad your not wearing much clothing.lol
    Rock what you got! Who cares what the TV commercials and media portray as ideal.They are wrong.

rr165892, write this every so often. :)
    Ms. H I have Sunday tickets too! This time I won't wait until last minute to reach out. Even if it's just a hey nice to meetcha, but I think a walk and a drink sounds better!

You WILL have a job! You will you will you will!!!!

Back to the beach this am. Did a nice walk on the sand. I felt a little better in my suit due to rr165892 giving me a boost :-)
    We love to hear this so yeah, tell your ladies. It's important to us!
    It's all good ladies.Glad to help.
    Ms. Haiku said:

rr165892 said:

rr165892, write this every so often. :)
    You got it
    Starting Lee Labrada's 12 week lean program tomorrow minus his diet suggestions.
    www.cluthelee.com

Starting Lee Labrada's 12 week lean program tomorrow minus his diet suggestions.

What's the deal with the diet portion? Are you already following a sensible eating plan?
    the diet looks lean and anyone eating that way will lose weight with that alone.
    Half-hour on the stationary bicycle. More moderate exercise because I'm trying to get back to waking up at the time I wake up when I have a job. When I get a job it won't be a shock.
    rr165892 said:

What's the deal with the diet portion? Are you already following a sensible eating plan?
    Not consistently, but yes, sensible for about 30 + years now being Type I since age the early 80s. I'm nearing 40 and just need to tighten down the screws in some places.
    www.cluthelee.com
    rr165892 said:

Re-educating myself on how to power my body up, the whole 'food is fuel' mantra. I've never 'dieted' properly and Lee's plan just didn't have enough carbs in it. Need carbs to live, just the right kind!
    www.cluthelee.com
    Day 3 - body waking up after 3 years. Definitely feel the weight I've gained since becoming a Dad.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Great workout yesterday. Chest and shoulders. Just recently started doing pec flyes on the cable machine and I think I much prefer that to the regular machine. I can't do as much weight yet, but I like the constant tension it provides while doing the exercise.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    This is how we do it:

Gets me through a long sedentary work day, you know?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    1 mile in segments. Phone interview later so I didn't want to be too tired.

I need to figure out how late I can eat at night to work out at 5 a.m. I think it's about 6 p.m. What do you all do who wake up early to work out? When do you eat the night before?
    Ms. Haiku said:

1 mile in segments. Phone interview later so I didn't want to be too tired.

I need to figure out how late I can eat at night to work out at 5 a.m. I think it's about 6 p.m. What do you all do who wake up early to work out? When do you eat the night before?

I'm definitely no nutrition expert, but I wouldn't go that long from eating to working out. If possible, I would try to eat something light (oatmeal/cereal or some fruit) about 20 minutes or so before.

Great workout yesterday. Chest and shoulders. Just recently started doing pec flyes on the cable machine and I think I much prefer that to the regular machine. I can't do as much weight yet, but I like the constant tension it provides while doing the exercise.

Try this.
    Take a weight plate you can safely hold between your open palms (like you are praying) without gripping your fingers in the hole for support.I use a 25lb plate but start with a ten until you feel comfy.
    While standing hold the plate in the above position close to your chest and extend straight out until arms are extended at mid pec height Again hands in a praying type position but finger should be roughly in position of movement(facing forward).Out and back to chest is 1 rep.Do 4 sets of 20 reps.It will blast the inner pec.Great for definition,great pump.Also gives the tris some nice definition also.
    Shoulders, chest and triceps this morning. Woke up with mild-moderate soreness from yesterday - the good kind of sore, not over the top can't move sore. Was able to push through the workout and for 2nd day in a row, no post work out low blood sugar. Managing basal rates on my insulin pump effectively through it all - still in a bit of a 'see what affects what' mode as it's been some years since I've done a work out program. On a side note, also slept very soundly last night.
    www.cluthelee.com
    All good things 2fr