Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

1737475767779»

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    You're welcome! Hope your workouts go well!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    You know what pisses me right off?  I was getting into my workout routine, got the wrist and ankle weights, geared UP in my head and I knew my body could take it. 

Now, I have pancreatitis and can’t do any kind of exercise. Haven’t for two weeks. And I’ve lost ten goddamn pounds because of this. I need them!

Yeah yeah, this too shall pass and I will do my utmost keep it together till then, but oh man...

George is getting angry!

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    hedonist said:
    You know what pisses me right off?  I was getting into my workout routine, got the wrist and ankle weights, geared UP in my head and I knew my body could take it. 

Now, I have pancreatitis and can’t do any kind of exercise. Haven’t for two weeks. And I’ve lost ten goddamn pounds because of this. I need them!

Yeah yeah, this too shall pass and I will do my utmost keep it together till then, but oh man...

George is getting angry!

Oh no. I am so sorry to hear you are ill. Pancreatitis can be so painful. Losing weight when you don’t need to sucks. I have been there. You are right that this will pass and soon you will be strapping on those weights. I hope you feel better soon. Stay strong 💪💪
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    Any rowing machine fans in the building?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    I don't use them regularly since I run, and get enough cardio - but the few times I have used them I liked it. It was really hard, and definitely left me out of breath.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Yes. 

YOU ARE as well?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited November 2020
    Yes. 

YOU ARE as well?
    H
    A
    HA

YOU FUNNY!

I'm contemplating what might be a really stupid purchase at the moment. But this Hydrow machine has caught my eye......
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'll be the lone dissenter and say that I loathe those machines. 
    Too boring? I like them for the low impact as my back is always acting up. 

This one is a smart rower, though. So makes it a lot more engaging. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Too boring? I like them for the low impact as my back is always acting up. 

This one is a smart rower, though. So makes it a lot more engaging. 
    It stems from the time when I had a personal trainer. I had a few trainers there over a span of about 2 years and they all loved the row machine. That would be fine, but they were all into seeing how fast you could row X meters and then try to beat that next time. That just really made me dislike them. I suppose I could give it a try again without worrying about time, but right now I would just rather get on the treadmill for my cardio.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I also think the row machine is highly overrated.
    It has the same problem as elliptical and bike...It's either too hard on certain muscles to get a good cardio going, or it's too easy to get either a good cardio OR strength improvement.  It tries to be both, and I don't believe that is possible. Separate strength and conditioning if you want either to see real progress.
    That being said, for general overall fitness for people at the average fitness/training level (which is pretty novice, average or not) it's a nice workout!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Another year down, another year of fitness dreams down the drain with it lol
    I wanted to put on some muscle mass this winter.  I got on a proven plan with calculated progressive overload so I could focus on getting stronger to then build some muscle.  I've been gaining weight at the recommended pace, trying to get as much protein as I can, but usually failing to get as much as recommended.  It's tough to commit to high protein levels all year...it's expensive and not much fun. I can handle it for the spring and summer weight cut, but maintaining through the winter bulk gets tedious.

I really feel like my muscle gains over the last 6 months are sadly minimal.  I don't think I'm going to look any better this summer than I did last year.   I have full confidence that I will drop 20-25 lbs in March, April, and May to get back into "boat shape".  The spring diet actually gets easier every year, when you know the plan and you know it will succeed it's easier to get through the rough patches.
    I should be happy that for another year I will look better than I ever did in my 20s, but I just wish I could get some damn muscles on board.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?