Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    That is a scary situation. Unfortunately, a high schooler in my area just collapsed and died during football practice on Wednesday. No cod announced yet, but it's probably an undiagnosed heart condition similar to that of Hank Gathers. Very sad news here.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    Hey guys, any good rec's on a pre-workout supplement/boost shake/drink? Creatine, caffiene, the usual suspects.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

Lol!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Going with a whey isolate for post workouts. The Quest was too long lasting & quite frankly disgusting to drink. Too thick, made all my shaker bottles stink being milk, egg based. Ugh. This new stuff I picked up is pricey but I think will work better. Also went with a mild stimulant based preworkout drink. I know this stuff can make you jittery, so I'm going light. Half a scoop & if that does the trick then I can make a can last longer. As with all supplement shops I got jumped with fat burning pills. Not touching those ever.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Not a fan of the pre-workout stuff. Outside of a caffeine boost, I don't think they really do much for you. I can get the same effect by drinking a cup of coffee 30 minutes beforehand. During a workout, I use BodyTech's Critical Aminos. I've found that helps with endurance and recovery. I was skeptical at first, but I really can tell there's a difference after starting to use it. Post workout is a Syntha-6 Edge protein shake. I'll usually have a shake in the morning as well. I've gotten good results with those products. Still working on getting rid of that pesky belly fat, but it is starting to go away. Never thought it would happen, but I've definitely become addicted to going to the gym.
  • Options

Not a fan of the pre-workout stuff. Outside of a caffeine boost, I don't think they really do much for you. I can get the same effect by drinking a cup of coffee 30 minutes beforehand. During a workout, I use BodyTech's Critical Aminos. I've found that helps with endurance and recovery. I was skeptical at first, but I really can tell there's a difference after starting to use it. Post workout is a Syntha-6 Edge protein shake. I'll usually have a shake in the morning as well. I've gotten good results with those products. Still working on getting rid of that pesky belly fat, but it is starting to go away. Never thought it would happen, but I've definitely become addicted to going to the gym.

Thanks for the tips! I am going to try this 45 day supply & see how it goes. May try a 'during workout' supplement after that & make a final decision on it all.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Thanks for the tips! I am going to try this 45 day supply & see how it goes. May try a 'during workout' supplement after that & make a final decision on it all.
    No prob. Pre-workouts didn't do much for me, but if they help you, then keep on with them. It's all about finding what works for you. It took trying a few mixes of intra and post workout supplements to get to mine, so just try stuff out until you find one you like.
  • Options

No prob. Pre-workouts didn't do much for me, but if they help you, then keep on with them. It's all about finding what works for you. It took trying a few mixes of intra and post workout supplements to get to mine, so just try stuff out until you find one you like.
    Definitely. Yesterday I did notice a big difference. Shoulders, Chest and Triceps day and damn, the first 4 of 8 exercises I felt pretty good. This morning hurting in all the right spots for sure. My bench is up 20 more lbs from a few weeks ago. Started at 50 lbs and am up to 120 lbs. Week 9 of 12 starts today! Whooo!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Definitely. Yesterday I did notice a big difference. Shoulders, Chest and Triceps day and damn, the first 4 of 8 exercises I felt pretty good. This morning hurting in all the right spots for sure. My bench is up 20 more lbs from a few weeks ago. Started at 50 lbs and am up to 120 lbs. Week 9 of 12 starts today! Whooo!!
    Great job! #GAINZ
  • Options
    Back and shoulders today. Hate doing back, but it's probably the most important muscle group to work on. My new goal is to get to doing unassisted pullups, so have to get at it. Figured since I hate back, I'd make it a shoulder split since shoulders are my favorite to workout.
  • Options

Back and shoulders today. Hate doing back, but it's probably the most important muscle group to work on. My new goal is to get to doing unassisted pullups, so have to get at it. Figured since I hate back, I'd make it a shoulder split since shoulders are my favorite to workout.

I'm the opposite. I love those days! I feel most of my improved strength in that group. I have legs & abs today. My least favorite : (
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Legs and abs today. Ugh. I went with a full scoop of the pre-workout and it definitely powered me through all 10 exercises, but left me a tad jittery post.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Don't mind doing legs, but abs suck too. Luckily abs don't require a lot of work.

Chest and triceps for me today. Might do biceps depending on how I'm feeling and depending on the time (wife does a zumba class on Tuesdays, and she's ready to go when that gets out).
  • Options
    Ugh, weights & cardio today following lower body workout yesterday. Feeling pretty tired & sore in all the right muscle groups. Cheat day tomorrow. Chili dog
    & root beer for lunch. Yes!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I'm back to working out after not feeling well after a few weeks.

I quit whey protein isolate, horrible side effects. So I tried Sun Warrior Natural pea Protein. :sick: it was like drinking the sludge from a barn floor. I hate to waste it, but I can barely choke it down. Guess I can save it for when an emergency happens. :/

Found Naked Goat, which is a highly refined powdered goat's milk. Gives me more protein than the isolate, and I don't have any side effects. Just tastes richer and creamier than the other stuff, no fat either. better for humans since it's closer to human milk than cow's milk is-which is what whey protein isolate is made from.

Tony is kicking my ass...I am in love with my TENS/EMS machine post-workout though!

Glad to see everybody still sticking with it...keep it up!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Welcome back RKCNDY! Glad to see you getting back to it!

Had a heavy lifting day today. Back and chest split with some shoulders at the end for good measure. Hit 270 on the lat pulldown machine and 290 on the supine bench press. If only I could do that on the regular bench press... Took a picture of the bench press machine loaded down with the plates and texted it to my wife saying "Yeah, I pressed that." She replied back with one of those eyeroll emojis :lol: I will definitely be sore in the morning, but gonna make it back to the gym to get my puny arms some work.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Ran three miles in segments. Haven't done that since July 18, so I'm excited. I'm starting to weigh myself weekly and it is inspiring me to be more consistent in running.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

Ran three miles in segments. Haven't done that since July 18, so I'm excited. I'm starting to weigh myself weekly and it is inspiring me to be more consistent in running.

Onya!! Good work Ms. Haiku! Keep up the great job! I'm starting week 10 today. Hard to believe how fast it's gone. Only 3 weeks left of this program before I switch a new one. Feeling great, feeling strong!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Welcome back RKCNDY! Glad to see you getting back to it!

Had a heavy lifting day today. Back and chest split with some shoulders at the end for good measure. Hit 270 on the lat pulldown machine and 290 on the supine bench press. If only I could do that on the regular bench press... Took a picture of the bench press machine loaded down with the plates and texted it to my wife saying "Yeah, I pressed that." She replied back with one of those eyeroll emojis :lol: I will definitely be sore in the morning, but gonna make it back to the gym to get my puny arms some work.

BOOM!! Nice work man!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ran three miles in segments. I started at a slightly faster speed, and I stopped a same amount of times so I will focus on pushing myself a little.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Averaging 3.5 miles per day. Sometimes I go out twice in different time intervals.
    Feels good. Down to #180
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

Averaging 3.5 miles per day. Sometimes I go out twice in different time intervals.
    Feels good. Down to #180

Nice!! That's the exact weight I'm trying to get to. Only 20 more left! Have a feeling they will be the hardest of the bunch.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Feels good. Down to #180

Congratulations!
  • Options
    Killer workouts this week - I'm closing in on 3rd week back to work and squeezing 45-60 minutes in every day at work has been great! Classes begin Monday though and I'm wondering if I'll be able to maintain the routine once our counseling center gets super busy.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited August 2016

Hey guys, any good rec's on a pre-workout supplement/boost shake/drink? Creatine, caffiene, the usual suspects.

anything from Blackstone Labs

https://blackstonelabs.com/

Hype/Angel Dust is a good preworkout mix and their protein is good...I don't know what your goals are if you are trying to build muscle or whatnot I can go more in-depth

you can also get good deals on their stuff and other products at http://www.naturalbodyinc.com/

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

Hype/Angel Dust is a good preworkout mix and their protein is good...I don't know what your goals are if you are trying to build muscle or whatnot I can go more in-depth

you can also get good deals on their stuff and other products at http://www.naturalbodyinc.com/

Thanks, PJ! I went to a local shop here and started on MegaWatt for pre-workouts and a new whey isolate post. Dropping weight and building muscle are keys. So far so good. The most improvements are noticed in my chest and arms - with my stomach/abdominal area second in line and calves last. I feel like I'm on a great program overall, though I may not continue the MegaWatt after it's empty. Stuff is pricey.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Headed to the gym in about an hour or so (when I get off from work). Love Friday workouts because the gym is pretty empty and you don't have to fight for machines/equipment. Chest and shoulders today.
  • Options

Headed to the gym in about an hour or so (when I get off from work). Love Friday workouts because the gym is pretty empty and you don't have to fight for machines/equipment. Chest and shoulders today.

Me too - I had myself originally set for 1pm today, but work interfered. Have a good one!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

pjalive21 said:

Thanks, PJ! I went to a local shop here and started on MegaWatt for pre-workouts and a new whey isolate post. Dropping weight and building muscle are keys. So far so good. The most improvements are noticed in my chest and arms - with my stomach/abdominal area second in line and calves last. I feel like I'm on a great program overall, though I may not continue the MegaWatt after it's empty. Stuff is pricey.
    Supplement Superstore? I liked MegaWatt...but im like that cracked out preworkout feeling where I feel like I can eat glass so went with stronger stuff haha

have a good workout!