Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203

My 5K is tomorrow. Not going to make my goal, but that's OK. It's going to be very hot tomorrow though, so I'm going to be cautious about that. Don't want to wind up with heat stroke or anything like that.

Go get it! Stay hydrated!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,115

My 5K is tomorrow. Not going to make my goal, but that's OK. It's going to be very hot tomorrow though, so I'm going to be cautious about that. Don't want to wind up with heat stroke or anything like that.

Go get it! Stay hydrated!
    It was a fun time this morning! Rained a little last night so it wasn't as hot as I thought it would be. This was the Bubble Run, so it wasn't a competitive race, but I finished in just over 35 minutes. So the goal for the next one is to beat that!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258

It was a fun time this morning! Rained a little last night so it wasn't as hot as I thought it would be. This was the Bubble Run, so it wasn't a competitive race, but I finished in just over 35 minutes. So the goal for the next one is to beat that!

Excellent! Good luck on the next one :)

There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Three and a third miles in segments on the treadmill. I know I can run non-stop, but something is blocking my mind. I'll get there.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

Three and a third miles in segments on the treadmill. I know I can run non-stop, but something is blocking my mind. I'll get there.

: )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ran three miles in segments on the treadmill.
  • Options
    Three miles in segments on a treadmill. Felt fun.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Heading out shortly. Temps only in the mid 90's.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,951
    Down 8 pounds in the last month

Cut back on beer :lol:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options

I hope the exercise goes smoothly. Stay hydrated.
  • Options
    Rocking biceps, back & cardio workout this morning. Starting to really notice increased strength daily. Wife noticed I've slimmed down. Gotta keep going!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Oh, also quit the whey protein shakes. Doc says I won't drop weight if I'm on them. I've noticed muscle recovery not as fast & a bit quicker muscle fatigue in the gym.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

I hope the exercise goes smoothly. Stay hydrated.
    Thanks. Cut it a little shorter today.
    Down to 183...getting there.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,115

Oh, also quit the whey protein shakes. Doc says I won't drop weight if I'm on them. I've noticed muscle recovery not as fast & a bit quicker muscle fatigue in the gym.

I don't believe that. I've dropped weight while on protein shakes. If you're getting closer to where you want to be (in terms of body shape/size, not weight), then it may be tougher to drop weight as you could be to the point of not having much fat to burn and building muscle. If you've gotten to that point, you shouldn't be concerned with what the scale says.

If you don't want to go back on the protein shakes, I would recommend an amino supplement. I opinions on them here a few pages back. Even though I was really skeptical on their effectiveness, I have seen good results with them. After starting them, am able to have longer and more intense workouts than before. Plus, if weight loss is a goal, the ingredients tend to be metabolism boosters.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Hey guys,been off line a awhile.Glad to see everyone is still grinding it out.Im in agreement with Mark.Dont quit your protein shakes.(Muscle weighs more then fat) and don't get to caught up in the scale numbers.The protein sup is crucial to building lean mass.You can however find one that may have less harmful ingredients.
    I'm off to the gym as we speak.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    For the first time in 4 years I'm below 200 pounds! :joy:

Those Celsius drinks I'm been ordering on Amazon really work.
  • Options

For the first time in 4 years I'm below 200 pounds! :joy:

Those Celsius drinks I'm been ordering on Amazon really work.

Congratulations, InHiding80!
  • Options
    Woke up early to work out. About 7 hours earlier than I usually work out. I'm getting myself ready for a schedule when I have a job which I hope happens sooner than later. No leads, but I can dream. One mile on the treadmill in segments just to see how I feel. Note to self: this early in the morning I need to warm up first.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    After a few fits and starts, I'm back at it, but I'm having a problem that maybe some people might help me understand. I'm finding that since my latest kick-start, I'm having debilitating fatigue mid-afternoon to the point that I hit a wall and take a two-three hour hard nap and wake up feeling groggy for another hour. The last time I experienced this kind of fatigue, when I was in tip-top athletic shape, I found out I had thyroid cancer. I have my five-year post cancer treatment today and will discuss it with my endocrinologist to see what he thinks. I don't expect the cancer has returned but I also know that this kind of fatigue is not normal.
    The intensity of my exercise should not be causing this. I'm only walking on the treadmill for a half hour at a 20-minute mile pace with low intensity interval training (hills set at the lowest possible incline). I then do about 10 to 30 minutes of yoga stretches, depending on the day. I've met with a personal trainer twice (once a week), and he's started me back easy.
    I'm working out in the morning before I eat anything, which could be a cause, but I do come home and have a fully balanced carb/protein meal. I've read something about it being possible that my glycogen muscle storage is depleted, which I don't really understand. I've read something else about adrenal fatigue, which many doctors don't believe is real. Or maybe it's just my body saying "whoa, you've been sedentary for two years, you're messing with me, and I don't like it."
    If anybody else has suffered from the kind of fatigue I'm talking about, please share your experience and let me know if you have ever figured it out. I need some encouragement. While I have the luxury of three hour afternoon naps in the summer time, when school starts, it won't be possible and I can't imagine successfully surviving a teaching day feeling the way I currently feel in the afternoons. I'm very hesitant to switch my workout to the evening because I've found that it's a mental challenge for me to get to the gym after a full day. Other than the afternoon meltdown, I prefer morning workouts.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
  • Options
    what dreams, it sounds like talking with your doctor is the best idea.
  • Options
    Going for two sessions today....its Friday, I figure I'll splurge a little bit on the beer.
  • Options
    What dreams,sounds like it may be an insulin crash.I stay away from carbs during the day to avoid this.Although a little quality low glycemic carbs like oatmeal,sweet potato,brown rice prior to gym is helpful energy.
    Also try uping your water intake and also watch any sugars that may be lurking that could cause a crash.When you see the doc also get your hormone levels checked.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the feedback.
    I saw my endocrinologist today, and I will get my hormone results next week. I get my thyroid checked twice a year because I'm on thyroid replacement therapy, so we'll see if those numbers have changed. They've been perfectly level since my cancer treatment, so I really don't expect that to be the issue. My doctor also took some blood to check my A1C to screen for diabetes, and we already predict my Vitamin D is low, but that's getting checked, too, just to see exactly how low and how much more supplement I'll need.
    The sugar/insulin thing makes the most sense. Since summer started, I've been trying to eat as little sugar as I can muster, but I'm not replacing the junk with enough healthy calories. I cut out all candy, cakes, and cookies but I'm still working on cutting out the pasta. I never keep bread in the house, so that's not an issue. My "green" smoothies have more fruit than green in them, so I'll change up that recipe.
    I didn't work out at all today since it's a three hour round trip to my endocrinologist, and I just didn't feel like the exercise drain was worth it on top of that driving stress. The fatigue was only mild today, not the full on press, so I know from today and other daily recordings that whatever underlying health condition I have is definitely exacerbated by the exercise.
    Oh, and my blood pressure was up at the hospital. My doctor just told me to monitor it for a week and e-mail him the results for him to consider. He's not concerned about that yet until he sees what things look like in a normal setting where I'm not having a cancer check up :-). He also referred me to a rheumatologist to see about the beginnings of arthritis in my hands. Damn -- when did I get so old?????? I'm becoming my mother!!!!
    I'm supposed to meet with the trainer tomorrow. I will definitely eat beforehand to see how that changes things. I'll post back for my own accountability purposes. I don't want to give up again!
  • Options
    Good luck, what dreams!
  • Options
    Hey all! Just got back from a 10 day vacation in the Rockies. Being in better shape really paid off. Been out there probably 20x in my life & last time I remember feeling this good was when I was 20 & hiked a few 12k ft. mountains. Our 3 yr old had a blast & earned 5 junior ranger badges for all the hiking we did! I start back to work full time tomorrow, so the real challenge of maintaining the 7 day a week workouts begin. I re-consulted my dietician and we decided at 100 calories a serving, the whey shakes are just fine. Down just below 200 lbs with 15 more to go. Goal is still December 31st to get to 185. Feeling great all! Thanks for all the encouragement!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

Good luck, what dreams!

Thank you! I think I may have had a breakthrough. Sunday and today, my energy levels are back up and the aching joint pain in my hands is gone. My thighs and glutes tell another story :-).
    My chiropractor thinks I probably just went through a major detox. In two weeks time, I basically cut all added sugar, started working out, had two spinal adjustments a week, eating greens everyday, taking various supplements, and drinking more water per day than I have in at least two years time. She said my symptoms fit my "what the fuck are you doing to my body" theory.
    I'm still open to what the endocrinologist says, but I'm just glad I haven't needed any post-workout naps these past two days. We'll see what the future brings!!
  • Options
    So, a guy that I've been playing basketball with in a group this summer collapsed today during a pickup game and had to be revived using an AED. I was in the gym finishing up my cardio when it happened - had decided not to run with them today (no reason, just decided). Anyway, guy is in his mid-30s. Scary stuff. Glad he made it and that there was someone there who grabbed the AED quickly.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    That's scary stuff.Glad he pulled thru
  • Options

So, a guy that I've been playing basketball with in a group this summer collapsed today during a pickup game and had to be revived using an AED. I was in the gym finishing up my cardio when it happened - had decided not to run with them today (no reason, just decided). Anyway, guy is in his mid-30s. Scary stuff. Glad he made it and that there was someone there who grabbed the AED quickly.

I agree, that's scary stuff. I hope he is ok.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

I agree, that's scary stuff. I hope he is ok.
    Yep, he did. He survived. Some of the guys were talking about him in the locker room yesterday. They said he is on the mend. Will be a nice long recovery though. Definitely a scary way to start back to work on my first day.
    www.cluthelee.com