Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,116
    Short, but intense lifting session. Then ran 3 miles straight. Fuck yeah!

Got home and wife told me that she signed us up for a 5K sometime in July. Hoping to be able to run it all in around 30 minutes. Will have to gain a little speed on my running to do that.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258

Short, but intense lifting session. Then ran 3 miles straight. Fuck yeah!

Got home and wife told me that she signed us up for a 5K sometime in July. Hoping to be able to run it all in around 30 minutes. Will have to gain a little speed on my running to do that.

Good luck! Looks like you can do it :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

This is a great resource:

https://www.onnit.com/academy/

Checked out a few of their articles...good stuff, thanks!

I'm back on it next week. Finally feeling up to 90%, Will be back in contacts-my glasses are back-ups so I didn't pony up for lightweight lenses. I'm walking in a 5k this weekend to get back on track.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

I'm back on it next week. Finally feeling up to 90%, Will be back in contacts-my glasses are back-ups so I didn't pony up for lightweight lenses. I'm walking in a 5k this weekend to get back on track.
    Have fun at the 5k!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    3 miles in segments. I last ran almost two weeks ago. It felt good.

So, if my lower back is a little sore after running does that mean I was slouching too much, or that I activated muscles I don't use?
  • Options
    2 miles in segments. Last night I had an episode of atrial fibulation/atrial flutter. It's unfortunate. With the pacemaker it's like having a battle of me against me.

Luckily, my pacemaker kept getting me back to a better heartbeat. I will find out if this is my new normal or if there is something sinister. After this episode and the last one I felt better. Odd.

I exercised because it helps reduce afib. Of course so do foods high in potassium. Didn't work, did they? (sarcasm)
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,595
    Ms. Haiku said:

3 miles in segments. I last ran almost two weeks ago. It felt good.

So, if my lower back is a little sore after running does that mean I was slouching too much, or that I activated muscles I don't use?

It could be both.
    Should always run upright.
    Could also be your shoes. Wearing the wrong shoes for your feet can cause problems from your feet up to your neck.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

RKCNDY said:

Have fun at the 5k!
    Finished in just under an hour...I would have done better if I didn't eat concrete again.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    edited May 2016
    After a week off and some really bad food choices while on vacation (I was on vacation!!) I'm back in business! Eating fast food took a toll on my belly wile on the road. Just a wee bit of a reminder it's BAD FOR ME!!
    Post edited by Sprunkn7 on
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Shredded my triceps today. Was feeling good so I went a little heavier on the push downs and extensions. Had to back off on the skull crushers and kickbacks after that. Then got some more training in for the 5K. In about another week or so, I think it will be time to start gradually increasing the speed.

On another note, my wife decided to surprise me and take me on a long weekend trip for my birthday this year. We're going up to Chattanooga this weekend and she mentioned that she wants to do some hiking up there. She's not normally one for hiking, so I'm oddly excited about hiking around Lookout Mountain, Ruby Falls, and other areas up there.
  • Options
    Weigh in day with trainer today. Down 40 pounds from my max weight in Feb of 2015. Lost 20 with this trainer in 4 months. I think I've found the right trainer...just hope he stays.

After weigh in, it was leg day. That means tomorrow will be wheelchair day :lol:
  • Options
    3 miles in segments. It was good.
  • Options

Weigh in day with trainer today. Down 40 pounds from my max weight in Feb of 2015. Lost 20 with this trainer in 4 months. I think I've found the right trainer...just hope he stays.

After weigh in, it was leg day. That means tomorrow will be wheelchair day :lol:

Did you alter your eating habits as well?
  • Options
    Marky, do you consume any protein after workouts? I found that if I have a protein smoothie after workouts, my muscles aren't as sore.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

Did you alter your eating habits as well?
    Yes. For the first few months, I was just all about working out. I lost a little bit. Around October my wife and I really cleaned up our diet and I really started to see good results in January (after a slight Christmas slide, of course). I've basically tried to cut out carbs and sugar. My diet now consists of lean meats, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. We do have a cheat day every week or week and a half just to keep our sanity lol.
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

Marky, do you consume any protein after workouts? I found that if I have a protein smoothie after workouts, my muscles aren't as sore.

Yeah, I do a protein shake within the hour after a workout. Protein helps, but leg day always gets you lol.
  • Options
    3 miles in segments. The segments are getting longer and I am feeling more comfortable and strong. #LifeisGood
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    Yes I've started working out too slowly I hope to see results def will be incorporating swimming into it in about two weeks once water temps get to at least 60 ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

3 miles in segments. The segments are getting longer and I am feeling more comfortable and strong. #LifeisGood

Yay for progress!
  • Options

Yes I've started working out too slowly I hope to see results def will be incorporating swimming into it in about two weeks once water temps get to at least 60 ...

Welcome jose! Good luck!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474

Welcome jose! Good luck!
    Thanks Mark ! I'm headed home and putting in a nice short work out

Stretching
    Sit-ups
    Bench press
    Dips
    Military press
    Wings
    Short run around my neighborhood ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    First workout after a cheat weekend for my birthday. Rough, but felt great!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I was looking at joining a gym with a pool. Maybe it's easier to swim at 6am if it's warm out?
    I can only afford one around here so I have to go check it out. If it's nasty I'll pass thanks!
    I looked at the YM and it's freaking expensive!!!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    3 miles in segments. I didn't push myself as much today, but I'm happy with my overall progress.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Sprunkn7 said:

I was looking at joining a gym with a pool. Maybe it's easier to swim at 6am if it's warm out?
    I can only afford one around here so I have to go check it out. If it's nasty I'll pass thanks!
    I looked at the YM and it's freaking expensive!!!

I've seen you post that you work in the medical field in another thread. You should check with gyms to see about discounts for doctor/hospital employees. We get a pretty decent discount with our gym because of my wife working as an rn at a hospital.
  • Options
    My back hurt from running. I increased the resistance, and I guess I worked my lower back more. As noted earlier it could be the shoes, but I do see a direct link between my increasing resistance and back pain. It reminds me of volleyball in high school. The first day after the first practice hurt hurt hurt, but with more playing it hurt less. I'm going to take today off, though. Back to it tomorrow.
  • Options
    I re-started P90x3, Total Synergistics. held back a bit since now that I'm done with PT, I need to ease back into it. She said I can go back to working out, but just 'no weekend warrior activities' since my shoulder is still healing.

I still made a protein smoothie, and won't add in any extra food, I will just stick to my regular calories.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

My back hurt from running. I increased the resistance, and I guess I worked my lower back more. As noted earlier it could be the shoes, but I do see a direct link between my increasing resistance and back pain. It reminds me of volleyball in high school. The first day after the first practice hurt hurt hurt, but with more playing it hurt less. I'm going to take today off, though. Back to it tomorrow.

My guess is trying to do too much too quickly. If I don't ease in increases in speed, distances, etc, I generally will start to develop shin splints or, like you described, a pain in my lower back.

I try to incorporate increases a quarter of a mile per mile at a time. Start at speed x for 3/4 of a mile then increase to y for the last 1/4 mile. Drop back down to start speed for mile 2 and repeat. When you're ready, the next progression would be half miles, then 3/4 mile, then finally the whole mile at the increased speed. I'm not the most eloquent with my words, so I hope that makes sense. It takes longer to get those increases in, but it sure beats hurting.
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

I re-started P90x3, Total Synergistics. held back a bit since now that I'm done with PT, I need to ease back into it. She said I can go back to working out, but just 'no weekend warrior activities' since my shoulder is still healing.

I still made a protein smoothie, and won't add in any extra food, I will just stick to my regular calories.

Good luck. I know a couple of people that have had good results with the p90x series.

Hope your shoulder heals up well.