Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    ehbacon said:

Made the decision today that I will not be running the marathon. I'm at 6 miles right now in training, and just have no time. After I've gotten home, stretched/foam rolled, done my core workout, and showered, it's already 6:45 and I'm eating dinner. So I have to start homework at 7:00, and do that until I go to bed, around 10:30-11:30 depending on the night. That's the price I have to pay for wanting to graduate early, taking every hard class I can take in order to build of a good college application. Grades are dropping, time to stop.

And if i don't have time at 6 miles, how will I have time at 10 miles, while still having to go to a 2 hour tennis practice before hand? It's just impossible.

So instead I'm just gonna do some really tough core/endurance/strengthening workouts when I get home to stay in shape.

Every little bit helps.Shit,drop down and do some push ups.Anything can be worked into a tight schedule.But good for you for prioritizing your education.If you don't mind me asking what's your age?
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    rr165892 said:

Natasha,I don't agree 100% about running being that good for you.Its taxing on the joints,Can eat up muscle.Lots of runners end up looking skinny fat.
    Sure you get some cardio vascular out of it and in small increments can be beneficial.sprints,or high powered bursts for example are good,but spinning,swimming,Stair stepper,jump rope,uphill walking,Interval training,weight lifting all are better ways to drop weight,keep heart rate up and build a healthier body.

Yes running has a bad side, with joint and muscle soreness, but it definitely increases your fitness if you do it in combination with other exercise, I'm one of those people that exercises 5-6 days per week because I know it's good for me, not because I really enjoy it. So I like to mix it up as much as possible so if I work out hard one day, I don't want to do the same gruelling workout the next day, I'll choose something different to keep my sanity but it also keeps me working harder!
    I do a mixture of your recommended exercises, but should do more step exercises. I walk up lots of big hills around my house on top of my bootcamp, bike riding, weights. kickboxing and aerobics. I'm just increasing fitness, don't really need to lose weight, just tone up a little bit more.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    rr165892 said:

ehbacon said:

Made the decision today that I will not be running the marathon. I'm at 6 miles right now in training, and just have no time. After I've gotten home, stretched/foam rolled, done my core workout, and showered, it's already 6:45 and I'm eating dinner. So I have to start homework at 7:00, and do that until I go to bed, around 10:30-11:30 depending on the night. That's the price I have to pay for wanting to graduate early, taking every hard class I can take in order to build of a good college application. Grades are dropping, time to stop.

And if i don't have time at 6 miles, how will I have time at 10 miles, while still having to go to a 2 hour tennis practice before hand? It's just impossible.

So instead I'm just gonna do some really tough core/endurance/strengthening workouts when I get home to stay in shape.

Every little bit helps.Shit,drop down and do some push ups.Anything can be worked into a tight schedule.But good for you for prioritizing your education.If you don't mind me asking what's your age?
    I'm sixteen, yeah today started the condensed workout strategy.

I did a 3 minute plank, 2 minute bicycle kick, 35 pushups, 15 triangle pushups, and 15 tricep down up things (totally forgot the name for them)

I think I'll run on Fridays now, since I won't have to do homework that day.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    Wow, everyone is doing great!

rgambs 7 lbs! I never lost more than 1-2/week!

FoxyRed - I have heard that the MFP Premium is not worth the money. Plenty of help and suggestions are available on the Community forums (I am geneticsteacher over there).

To ALL who quit smoking - Congratulations!!! It was the hardest thing I ever did. Unfortunately, I used nicotine lozenges and am still using them 10 years later. I would NOT recommend using these to anyone.

I have been walking the dog a mile each day. Not much, but a start. Ten more lbs to go!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I have 71 days until Philly. Not only can i lose the weight I think I can tone it up also :-)
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

FoxyRed - I have heard that the MFP Premium is not worth the money. Plenty of help and suggestions are available on the Community forums (I am geneticsteacher over there).

To ALL who quit smoking - Congratulations!!! It was the hardest thing I ever did. Unfortunately, I used nicotine lozenges and am still using them 10 years later. I would NOT recommend using these to anyone.

I have been walking the dog a mile each day. Not much, but a start. Ten more lbs to go!

You probably never spent a year eating literally 10-15 cookies and junk foods lol
    The weight was put on so quickly it's just begging to slide right off!

I squeezed in 50 squats, 20 pushups, 10 pull ups and 3-1 minute rounds with the heavy bag at full go last night after doing a little raised bed building in the garage...good thing too, because I woke up to 5 inches of heavy, wet snow and did not run. When Simon is getting ready for his nap I will strap him up and do a couple laps in the woods on the big hill. It will be gorgeous, I am looking forward to it!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    ehbacon said:

rr165892 said:

ehbacon said:

I did a 3 minute plank, 2 minute bicycle kick, 35 pushups, 15 triangle pushups, and 15 tricep down up things (totally forgot the name for them)

16, there's nothing like it! Every ounce of effort you put into your fitness will produce results at twice the rate of when you get older! At 16 I was invincible lol. I was a wrestler and I could whoop ass on grown men twice my size! Tough guys too, not wusses. If I ran into my 16 year old self I would be sure not to offend me, cuz I would kick the living shit out of myself now! I was lightning fast and had strength that didn't make sense, now I am every bit as slow and weak as I look lol
  • Options
    ehbacon said:

rr165892 said:

ehbacon said:

Your a young man right?I only ask because some recommendations I would make would be gender specific.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    And Congrat EH,you have been holding your own on these boards with all us old fuckers(yeah even Gambsy is old compared to you and he is a baby). That says a lot about your maturity.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

ehbacon said:

rr165892 said:

ehbacon said:

16, there's nothing like it! Every ounce of effort you put into your fitness will produce results at twice the rate of when you get older! At 16 I was invincible lol. I was a wrestler and I could whoop ass on grown men twice my size! Tough guys too, not wusses. If I ran into my 16 year old self I would be sure not to offend me, cuz I would kick the living shit out of myself now! I was lightning fast and had strength that didn't make sense, now I am every bit as slow and weak as I look lol
    But Gambsy does still strut around in his high school unitard/singlet just for fun.lol
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

ehbacon said:

rr165892 said:

ehbacon said:

But Gambsy does still strut around in his high school unitard/singlet just for fun.lol
    Only on odd Tuesdays and holidays which require fancy dress!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

I have 71 days until Philly. Not only can i lose the weight I think I can tone it up also :-)

Keep believing in youreelf and doing the hard work and you'll get there. :heart:
  • Options
    rgambs said:

You probably never spent a year eating literally 10-15 cookies and junk foods lol

I squeezed in 50 squats, 20 pushups, 10 pull ups and 3-1 minute rounds with the heavy bag at full go last night after doing a little raised bed building in the garage...good thing too, because I woke up to 5 inches of heavy, wet snow and did not run. When Simon is getting ready for his nap I will strap him up and do a couple laps in the woods on the big hill. It will be gorgeous, I am looking forward to it!
    Way to go with last night's workout, every extra bit counts. How did the walk go?
  • Options

rgambs said:

Way to go with last night's workout, every extra bit counts. How did the walk go?
    It was beautiful but the wind picked up and gigantic heavy snow piles began falling and the baby didn't like being caught in a vicious snowball fight so I had to night all it back up the hill in a hurry. Hopefully I will make up for it this evening.
  • Options
    I totally understand your babies concerns about being in a snow storm. I would be a but freaked out too. At least you went back home quicker! Good luck for tonight, you are doing amazing, you have an excellent no excuse attitude.
  • Options
    Hahaha all I have is excuses, then I feel guilty and try to make it up lol. I am doing 1000x better than I was a few weeks ago, because I wasn't doing shit!
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    rr165892 said:

And Congrat EH,you have been holding your own on these boards with all us old fuckers(yeah even Gambsy is old compared to you and he is a baby). That says a lot about your maturity.

Yeah I'm a guy :)

This is a great community, fun discussions
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    130 squats = long day at work tomorrow lol

Squats are a beautiful, nasty, natural, and inhumane exercise.
    I have heard that when you can do 15 pull ups your biceps are as proportionally strong as they need to be, well, if you can do a few hundred squats in a few minutes there isn't much you can't do lol
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Ugh. Been lazy the last couple of days and haven't worked out. I would try to blame it on work, but that would just be a lie. Need to get to the gym tomorrow to get back on track. At least I've been eating well so it's not as bad as it could be.
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    Didn't read all of the thread but keep up the good work everybody!!
    If anybody is interested in shakeology or 21 day fix, my wife is a coach and can give you any details you might need. PM me
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rgambs said:

I have heard that when you can do 15 pull ups your biceps are as proportionally strong as they need to be, well, if you can do a few hundred squats in a few minutes there isn't much you can't do lol

If you want a kick ass leg workout that gets heart rate up,is fairly low impact on the back,can be done anywhere,and only takes 10-15 minutes but will kick your ass try this.

1.Do 4 sets of air squats.Put hands in front of you chest high in a praying position,squat down with legs just slightly wider then shoulder width.Pretend you are going to sit on a stool that's approx 12" off the ground.So get a deep squat.Do 25 in a row,rest 45 seconds and do next set.Repeat reps and sets 4x

2.do 4 sets of air lunges.Keep good posture,and keep quads at 90 degree angle to floor at peak of lunge.Do ten lunges each leg alternating.Thats one set.Rest 45 seconds between sets,no rest between legs.

3. Single leg box squat.
    4 sets,10 per leg
    Put one leg backwards on chair,bench,stool etc approx 16-18" off ground kinda in same position as a lunge,but you will squat down with front leg.

Stretch out thoroughly.

For those who want even more or want to make it a complete work out also add in Ab work and push ups between sets.This can all be done in less then a half hour.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

If you want a kick ass leg workout that gets heart rate up,is fairly low impact on the back,can be done anywhere,and only takes 10-15 minutes but will kick your ass try this.

1.Do 4 sets of air squats.Put hands in front of you chest high in a praying position,squat down with legs just slightly wider then shoulder width.Pretend you are going to sit on a stool that's approx 12" off the ground.So get a deep squat.Do 25 in a row,rest 45 seconds and do next set.Repeat reps and sets 4x

2.do 4 sets of air lunges.Keep good posture,and keep quads at 90 degree angle to floor at peak of lunge.Do ten lunges each leg alternating.Thats one set.Rest 45 seconds between sets,no rest between legs.

3. Single leg box squat.
    4 sets,10 per leg
    Put one leg backwards on chair,bench,stool etc approx 16-18" off ground kinda in same position as a lunge,but you will squat down with front leg.

Stretch out thoroughly.

For those who want even more or want to make it a complete work out also add in Ab work and push ups between sets.This can all be done in less then a half hour.
    I do hands on my head for squats, and always to at least 90 degrees! Love it!
    I don't do lunges because I have short legs and a long torso so I get out of balance easily and they just seem hard on my knees for some reason.
    I will incorporate the single leg box squats though, those will be a nice addition and I can add a few to the left leg because righty tries to do all the work.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    I'm gonna work on giving up "left-hand" smoking.
  • Options

I'm gonna work on giving up "left-hand" smoking.

Boooooo!!! Don't quit, just cut back!
    :wink:
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

3. Single leg box squat.
    4 sets,10 per leg

Stretch out thoroughly.

Damn, that makes me hurt just reading it.

That was similar to the last workout with the trainer at the gym. Not quite as many reps, but also did weighted step ups.

My glutes and hamstrings were on fire the next day.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277

Didn't read all of the thread but keep up the good work everybody!!
    If anybody is interested in shakeology or 21 day fix, my wife is a coach and can give you any details you might need. PM me

Freakin LOVE Shakeology (both chocolate and Green) But i cant afford it! No way no how...
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Keep up the good work folks, every little bit helps!!

-5 wind chill this morning had me thinking twice about the run this morning, until one of the dogs chased me out of bed with an anal gland explosion! I made it 2 miles on my sore legs and the sun coming up over the frozen lake was quite beautiful.
  • Options
    Are pickles good for you??
    I bought a bunch of delicious Amish garlic pickles, and I have been eating them with every meal. It's only 5-10 calories per serving and they are delish, but is that too much pickle?
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Never too much pickle ... ..... .. :rofl:

J/K

Maybe salt?

Ha no way around it.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    edited February 2016
    rgambs said:

Keep up the good work folks, every little bit helps!!

-5 wind chill this morning had me thinking twice about the run this morning, until one of the dogs chased me out of bed with an anal gland explosion! I made it 2 miles on my sore legs and the sun coming up over the frozen lake was quite beautiful.

My excuse that it's too cold outside (30 degrees) doesn't hold well. I'll get out there; I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird