Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    ohhh, went a bit off the rail on my birthday. But it's ok! No guilt and back on track :-)
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Happy belated Birthday Sprunkn :heart: Hope you enjoyed it...definitely an excuse to go off the rails. You can make up for it today!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Sprunkn7 said:

ohhh, went a bit off the rail on my birthday. But it's ok! No guilt and back on track :-)

Happy birthday, Sprunkn7!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Happy Birthday Sprunkn!

I've been trying to get back to working out, but my shoulder has been so horrible. I'm going to make an appointment next week.I did walk around downtown for a total of 5 1/2 miles tonight.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    thanks guys...turning 51 was nowhere near as devastating as turning 50 :peace:
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Put in 8 miles on the joggin' sticks this week, plus a couple hundred squats and some additional workouts. I felt like I did pretty good at limiting unnecessary calories, focusing on protein and fiber, and limiting carbs and sugar this week, I am pretty excited to weigh in. I am hoping for a 7lb drop this week, but I won't be disappointed with anything more than 3.

If I can do it, you all can too! Just keep trying to do a little better, just a little better every day and every week!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Nice long walk at the beach today. Feels like Spring!
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Sprunkn7 said:

Nice long walk at the beach today. Feels like Spring!

oh nice im going to my dads this morning for a few days we also may go to the beach if its not too hot.. i love the beach just not the sand it gets everywhere lol unless im making sandcastles with the kids..
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I cut back on portions, list 5 pounds.
    Went walking around Edmonds, 2.5 miles.
    Going to try to walk to the farmer's market tomorrow if the weather cooperates.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    I don't know, I weighed in 4 pounds lighter, but it was on an empty vs full stomach so I still need to kick it up a notch.
  • Options
    I tried on my PJ warm up suit..hahaha, looks like I still have a lot of work to do. I cut out my PJ motivation tabs and they are now stuck all around..bathroom mirror, the fridge, closet door, car dashboard and inside my house door. Thanks Tash!!!

I'm thinking of taking pictures of my meals. Of course I won't bore you guys with all that nonsense but this is a sample of one of my lunches. Broccoli slaw with a mixed salad, nuts and left over steak. I just used some evoo and vin. salt and pepper.
    Anyone want to put up some good ones?
    imagephoto 2016-02-16 12.17.54_zpsysrxjfrc.jpg" />

• Options
    Ran a mile. I last ran on the 8th. I'm ready to take it up a couple notches and get back to 3 miles.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

Ran a mile. I last ran on the 8th. I'm ready to take it up a couple notches and get back to 3 miles.

Good luck! I'm stuck at 2 miles, but I hope to edge it up to 3 soon.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I planned on running two miles.

First mile was very difficult. I was going to stop after a mile, but then at about a mile Pat Benatar's "Heart Breaker" came on and I decided to run little longer.

A little later a live "Evenflow" came on my iShuffle so I continued.

I was about to stop at 1.75, but then CC+ The Music Factory's "Every Body Dance Now" came on and I accomplished my goal.

Odd first mile.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
  • Options
    Monday weigh in, gained a few over my lapse! That was fast and unforgiving :-(

Ok, 65 days till PJ. I'm on it!
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

I planned on running two miles.

First mile was very difficult. I was going to stop after a mile, but then at about a mile Pat Benatar's "Heart Breaker" came on and I decided to run little longer.

A little later a live "Evenflow" came on my iShuffle so I continued.

I was about to stop at 1.75, but then CC+ The Music Factory's "Every Body Dance Now" came on and I accomplished my goal.

Odd first mile.

Why is the end of the first mile always worse than the end of the 2nd mile??
    I run without music, I'm like a caveman, no fitbit, no metrics or music, no water, just my joggin stix!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

Monday weigh in, gained a few over my lapse! That was fast and unforgiving :-(

Ok, 65 days till PJ. I'm on it!

I only have 53, damn... We better get on it! We can do it!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I run without music, I'm like a caveman, no fitbit, no metrics or music, no water, just my joggin stix!

No music?

I.just.couldn't.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

No music?

I.just.couldn't.
    I focus on my breathing and I use it as a time for mindfulness and meditation, breathe and step, no thoughts, no distractions.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

No music?

I.just.couldn't.
    I focus on my breathing and I use it as a time for mindfulness and meditation, breathe and step, no thoughts, no distractions.
    I'll try it out tomorrow. I'm a bit of a daydreamer, a big big daydreamer, so I'm not sure if I can be mindful and not think of winning the lottery, or getting my PhD in linguistics.

Let's see what happens! Will it be two miles of joy or not-so-joyful?
  • Options
    It's been a hectic week and I haven't dropped by, it sounds like everyone is making progress :joy: when you are running or exercising keep up what works for you.

Sprunkn don't despair, you had a birthday and after this week you'll be back in the swing of things. Well done on motivating yourself with magnets everywhere that's an awesome idea.

You could try to focus on portion sizes and calories/meal. When losing weight it's predominantly about what you eat. If you want to lose weight it's about changing what you eat and sticking to your new eating habits in conjunction with lots of exercise. Exercise is important in maintaining your muscles, bone strength and I know RR can fill you in on more reasons to keep the exercise up. But I'm here to promote nutrition. Remember what you put into your mouth is essential to your expected weight loss outcome.

Have you tried an app? My fitness Pal is easy to use. I know it's tedious weighing your food for every meal but once you get in the swing of it you realise how many calories is in certain foods. Once you have logged a food or exercise, it's saved for your next meal. This app is easy to use. Pm if you need help with it.

Let's look at 1.76 ounces of certain foods (grilled steak, apple, chocolate and hot chips) and compare calorie content. This example is ONLY comparing calories NOT nutrition content. It's basic so everyone can see how many calories are in different foods that weigh the same.

Grilled steak =98 calories
    Apple =27 calories
    Chocolate bar = 264 calories, (remember chocolate has both fat and sugar).
    Hot potato chips = 120 calories.

Treat foods includes alcohol, foods high in unsaturated fats and high in sugar.

If you are trying to lose weight you want to aim to eat 2-3 treats per week. An example of a treat food is 2 standard glasses of wine (3.38 oz) or 0.88 ounces of chocolate, 1/4 of a meat pie or 1\2 a sausage roll, 2 thin sausages, 0.67 oz honey or jam, 1 can of soda, 2 small scoops of low fat icecream, 1 small piece of plain cake, 6 small lollies, most muesli bars (due to high fat & sugar content).

Just remember losing weight is like a bank account if you put lots of money in (calories) your account will grow (your belly), but if you spend lots of calories your belly will shrink. Excess alcohol and sugar in your body all turns to fat and ends up around your belly.

Everything in moderation :) and you'll live healthier and longer.
  • Options
    Is there a website version? I have a digital scale and would like to start keeping a close calorie count (my wife is getting annoyed with me already lol wait till I start weighing my food) but I don't have internet or WIFI and it's a fair hitch into town to download apps...
  • Options
    I skipped my run this morning and I didn't feel great about it. So, when the child went to sleep I trundled into the cold for a moonlight jog. The moon is nearly full and it was very bright, the lake is half thawed, and there was a gigantic halo around the moon, we call it a moondog. I felt strong, have you ever felt like you were a battery and your feet are absorbing power and energy through from the Earth? I love that feeling.
    I pushed to 3 miles so I feel good sittin here munchin some carrots with a bowl of green.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I skipped my run this morning and I didn't feel great about it. So, when the child went to sleep I trundled into the cold for a moonlight jog. The moon is nearly full and it was very bright, the lake is half thawed, and there was a gigantic halo around the moon, we call it a moondog. I felt strong, have you ever felt like you were a battery and your feet are absorbing power and energy through from the Earth? I love that feeling.
    I pushed to 3 miles so I feel good sittin here munchin some carrots with a bowl of green.

Wow it sounds like a magic night...such a beautiful image. I sent you a link for my fitness Pal website, hope it helps you.
    You are very dedicated, keep it up.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

You got past the two-mile mark. Good job, rgambs!
  • Options
    I'm really going to buckle in now. I'm starting the whole 30 tomorrow. I've done one successfully and one not. It will put me back on track. It's a pretty strict thing but it's only 30 days and the reintroduction worked for me for 2 years so I know it's not a "crazy" diet. What can be crazy about eating whole real foods? I felt better, more alert, more calm and was definitely healthier! My blood levels were the best in my life, my inflammation symptoms were gone and I suffered no diverticulitis in those 2 years, Having belly issues in no fun and even though I have been eating pretty healthy since Jan. I know I can do better. Tonight is going to snow so after work I'm coming home and getting my menus for the rest of the week in order. The most important part is planning. With no food idea in front of me I tend to slide to bad habits.
    I'm happy with my progress but kicking it up will make me happier!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

I'm really going to buckle in now. I'm starting the whole 30 tomorrow. I've done one successfully and one not. It will put me back on track. It's a pretty strict thing but it's only 30 days and the reintroduction worked for me for 2 years so I know it's not a "crazy" diet. What can be crazy about eating whole real foods? I felt better, more alert, more calm and was definitely healthier! My blood levels were the best in my life, my inflammation symptoms were gone and I suffered no diverticulitis in those 2 years, Having belly issues in no fun and even though I have been eating pretty healthy since Jan. I know I can do better. Tonight is going to snow so after work I'm coming home and getting my menus for the rest of the week in order. The most important part is planning. With no food idea in front of me I tend to slide to bad habits.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I got all signed up on myfitnesspal so that should be helpful. It won't let you set a weight loss goal of more than 2 lbs per week, and I need to average 3.5 or better to get back into my camping clothes for the spring trip. I am going to have to do some calculations of my own to make up the difference.
  • Options
    I changed my fitness goals to 0 workouts and sedentary life, so now it has me at a daily ration of 1400 calories. If that is accurate, and will actually result in 2lbs/week loss, then 4-40 minute runs should subtract around 2000 calories from the equation, and maybe get me close to that extra pound.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

Time to channel your Little Engine that Could, Sprunkn7. You think you can, you know you can, you do!