Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Carrots are awesome! I love celery too. Try to add some fat to the carrots though, that helps breaking down the vitamins. I usually make a dip with plain Greek yogurt that I mix with herbs and mustard and spices. It's also amazing used as a spread on bread. Or as a dip for roasted garlic potatoes or pumpkin.
  • Options
    Another good snack are pickles. Not the stuff with tons of sugar, of course. Homemade are best. but Polish ones are very good as well. I also love a cup of broth for the little in-between appetite. I have some organic broth that my mom sent me from Germany. I just mix it with water, and then add cracked pepper, some olive oil and sometimes a tomato. Turmeric is fantastic in there too. Just slurp it, delicious.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Anyone watching the marathon trials? I'm following through Twitter.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Another good snack are pickles. Not the stuff with tons of sugar, of course. Homemade are best. but Polish ones are very good as well. I also love a cup of broth for the little in-between appetite. I have some organic broth that my mom sent me from Germany. I just mix it with water, and then add cracked pepper, some olive oil and sometimes a tomato. Turmeric is fantastic in there too. Just slurp it, delicious.

Pickles, pickles, and more pickles. I make some but they never last past Christmas, then I start buying Walnut Creek pickles, it's a local Amish outfit.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277

Want a quick workout? Buy a jump rope! Excellent for your lymph system, too.

Jump rope kicks my azzzzzz, but I love it!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Carrots are great for night vision, a great snack. I didn't know about eating them with fat as it helps break down the vitamins. But i should think like that because vitamin a is fat soluble!

Leezestarr I'm definitely going out and getting a hula hoop, thanks for the tip about purchasing an adult hoop.

I've tried skipping and do it at boot camp but it hurts my shins. Hula hooping will only hurt my abs!!!
  • Options

Carrots are great for night vision, a great snack. I didn't know about eating them with fat as it helps break down the vitamins. But i should think like that because vitamin a is fat soluble!

Leezestarr I'm definitely going out and getting a hula hoop, thanks for the tip about purchasing an adult hoop.

I've tried skipping and do it at boot camp but it hurts my shins. Hula hooping will only hurt my abs!!!

Awesome! Let me know how it goes and happy hooping!

One more food thing... I drink a small shot of raw apple cider vinegar ( I used Bragg's) every day too, sometimes even two a day. I wash it down with lots of water. It is good for all kinds of things, but also helps with your diet issues. And after a while you get used to the flavour too :)
  • Options
    Where would I get an adult exercise hula hoop?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

Awesome! Let me know how it goes and happy hooping!

One more food thing... I drink a small shot of raw apple cider vinegar ( I used Bragg's) every day too, sometimes even two a day. I wash it down with lots of water. It is good for all kinds of things, but also helps with your diet issues. And after a while you get used to the flavour too :)
    What does help with diet issues mean?

Hey Leeze - how's benny? :smiley:

Sooooo, with this fitnesspal app. Has anyone purchased or upgraded from the free version? I feel it may be worth it for someone like me who doesn't understand nutrition. I took a nutrition class and barely got by with a C. Bahhaha buy no problem with advanced A&P. Anyways. Anyone upgrade the app?

The app is putting me at a challenging calorie level as I told it I do zero excersie. It's definitely helped me make better food decisions as well as all of Natasha's help and encouragement! :star:

Everyone else here is just helping make me jealous :lol:

Ya know. This November will be my 4th year smoke free and what a commitment that has been after 10 years of enjoying smoking. I understand that I can reach a goal if I want it. Hmmm. Wonder what I'm missing.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Haha I should have proof read.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa, good luck on reaching your goals! Looks like you got it in you already.
  • Options
    Thanks Haiku :smiley:
  • Options
    Foxy you are going to be looking awesome at your first pj concert. Well done on the no smoking for 4 years :star: quitting is one of the best lifestyle choices you can make. Definitely reminds you how dedicated you can be. Use that benchmark to remind yourself you can do it. And most if all believe in yourself :heart:
    Keep up those healthier food choices. I'm always here to help you :heart:

What is A&P?
    Ps I love the :star: !!
  • Options
    Anatomy and physiology. I was studying to become a nurse before I accepted the career I have now.

Thanks Natasha as always! And thanks to everyone here sharing and encouraging :hug: lots of stuff here getting my wheels turning!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Good stuff, Foxy :plus_one:
    As for the acv - I read that it helps with blood sugar levels and fat absorption. No idea. It feel like it is good for me.

Ms. Haiku - I looked up your location, here is a link that might help. https://wolfriverenterprises.wordpress.com/category/where-to-buy-hoops/ But you couls always just make one yourself too, with some irrigation piping :smiley: I personally don't like the "travel hoops" you can get from the larger companies. They are cool at first, but they do not hold up well.

Here's a pic of some, the little one in the middle is a kiddies hoop, just for proportions. The pink and blue one and the white, green, blue and red one are my bought ones.
    image The pink has glitter in it. They are not only fun to work out with, but also to look at. I love anything glitter :blush:
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options

Good stuff, Foxy :plus_one:
    As for the acv - I read that it helps with blood sugar levels and fat absorption. No idea. It feel like it is good for me.

Ms. Haiku - I looked up your location, here is a link that might help. https://wolfriverenterprises.wordpress.com/category/where-to-buy-hoops/ But you couls always just make one yourself too, with some irrigation piping :smiley: I personally don't like the "travel hoops" you can get from the larger companies. They are cool at first, but they do not hold up well.

Here's a pic of some, the little one in the middle is a kiddies hoop, just for proportions. The pink and blue one and the white, green, blue and red one are my bought ones.
    image The pink has glitter in it. They are not only fun to work out with, but also to look at. I love anything glitter :blush:

Ahhhhh I hate glitter!! It's the herpes of the gift world, once you get glitter in your life, it never goes away.
    I guarantee of you sifted through your toilet contents you would find glitter in it, you may even have glitter in your lungs, it gets there pretty easily.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Apple cider vinegar is great stuff.Braggs is the best.You have to get ACV with "mother".Thats the stuff that settles in bottom of bottle.
    Really so many things it helps.Acid reflux,immune booster,Ph control,Liver and kidney cleaning,digestion,energy,Sugar tolerance,etc.

Foxy,anytime you can quit smoking,and get that monkey off your back all other health goals will seem easy.Good for you
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone!! I had great motivators as I now have two babies as a result :smiley: I didn't go without help tho. I did use chantix. I actually didn't need much if it. I didn't even take a months worth. Others don't bother me and to be able to sit next to it and not flinch is glorious! I chose to quit to have kids and I don't plan to return. Once in a great while I'll get a craving. It was much more often in the beginning. Haha I used to have dreams that I was smoking and I'd wake up livid haha like you dumbass now you have to start all over.

Haha anyways. I do hate to admit I feel better! I didn't think it was as bad as it was.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

Where would I get an adult exercise hula hoop?

i bought one on Amazon a few years ago. Sadly I gave it away b/c I rarely used it. It was weighted and I did get some bruising from it. That was ok, it didn't bother me much, but then it really was giving me back pain,.,,,that was that! But my friend who as it loves it!
  • Options
    Well, you don't have to get a weighted one :) I get bruises too from hooping. My legs were spotted when I tried my luck with knee hooping back in Germany :lol: I wore the bruises like my medal... Of course, if you start hurting in a way that is not a good thing, you should not do it.

Yes, the ACV has to be the one with the mother.

And as for the glitter... On my hoop it is in the taping that is around it. It does not come off, it is like a pattern. My husbands hates glitter with a passion, so I am careful not to have loose stuff flying around :lol: But I love the sparkly stuff!
  • Options

Well, you don't have to get a weighted one :) I get bruises too from hooping. My legs were spotted when I tried my luck with knee hooping back in Germany :lol: I wore the bruises like my medal... Of course, if you start hurting in a way that is not a good thing, you should not do it.

Yes, the ACV has to be the one with the mother.

And as for the glitter... On my hoop it is in the taping that is around it. It does not come off, it is like a pattern. My husbands hates glitter with a passion, so I am careful not to have loose stuff flying around :lol: But I love the sparkly stuff!

Hahaha smart man!! Sparkly is cool, loose glitter is the devil's disease!
  • Options
    19 degrees at 5am this morning, and I finally got the 2 mile mark running without a break. I didn't think it would take 2 weeks to get there, but it felt good (like I was going to vomit and pass out lol) and now I can aim higher. Only 7lbs lost in the first 2 weeks, so I am taking it up a level this week in diet and running to get in gear. Next week I will be able to bring my beloved calisthenics back into play, then free weights. Once I get to squattin 300 times a day, I'll be a mountain climbing fool again.

It's nice having this as a sort of workout journal!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

19 degrees at 5am this morning, and I finally got the 2 mile mark running without a break. I didn't think it would take 2 weeks to get there, but it felt good (like I was going to vomit and pass out lol) and now I can aim higher. Only 7lbs lost in the first 2 weeks, so I am taking it up a level this week in diet and running to get in gear. Next week I will be able to bring my beloved calisthenics back into play, then free weights. Once I get to squattin 300 times a day, I'll be a mountain climbing fool again.

It's nice having this as a sort of workout journal!

Well done 2 miles is awesome keep up following your goals....that vomit feeling from lactic acid feels yuk, but you always feel so proud of yourself because you know you've really pushed yourself! Calisthenics will mix your week up, and your muscles will love you for it.

Reading about everyone's running successes on this thread inspired me to run on the weekend, I used to run but I don't really enjoy it, but I know it's so good for you. I'm lucky it's summer here and I had a great distraction by running at the beach. I was surprised how far I jogged without walking!! Next week will be longer.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Natasha,I don't agree 100% about running being that good for you.Its taxing on the joints,Can eat up muscle.Lots of runners end up looking skinny fat.
    Sure you get some cardio vascular out of it and in small increments can be beneficial.sprints,or high powered bursts for example are good,but spinning,swimming,Stair stepper,jump rope,uphill walking,Interval training,weight lifting all are better ways to drop weight,keep heart rate up and build a healthier body.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Natasha,I don't agree 100% about running being that good for you.Its taxing on the joints,Can eat up muscle.Lots of runners end up looking skinny fat.
    Sure you get some cardio vascular out of it and in small increments can be beneficial.sprints,or high powered bursts for example are good,but spinning,swimming,Stair stepper,jump rope,uphill walking,Interval training,weight lifting all are better ways to drop weight,keep heart rate up and build a healthier body.

Yeah, I agree, and hate running...but if you want to hit target heart rate and stay there for a long time it's about the only option. Weight lifting doesn't do it, too much downtime.
  • Options
    Monday, weigh in day. Surprised I lost this week. 13 more to go :-)
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Made the decision today that I will not be running the marathon. I'm at 6 miles right now in training, and just have no time. After I've gotten home, stretched/foam rolled, done my core workout, and showered, it's already 6:45 and I'm eating dinner. So I have to start homework at 7:00, and do that until I go to bed, around 10:30-11:30 depending on the night. That's the price I have to pay for wanting to graduate early, taking every hard class I can take in order to build of a good college application. Grades are dropping, time to stop.

And if i don't have time at 6 miles, how will I have time at 10 miles, while still having to go to a 2 hour tennis practice before hand? It's just impossible.

So instead I'm just gonna do some really tough core/endurance/strengthening workouts when I get home to stay in shape.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    ehbacon said:

Made the decision today that I will not be running the marathon. I'm at 6 miles right now in training, and just have no time. After I've gotten home, stretched/foam rolled, done my core workout, and showered, it's already 6:45 and I'm eating dinner. So I have to start homework at 7:00, and do that until I go to bed, around 10:30-11:30 depending on the night. That's the price I have to pay for wanting to graduate early, taking every hard class I can take in order to build of a good college application. Grades are dropping, time to stop.

And if i don't have time at 6 miles, how will I have time at 10 miles, while still having to go to a 2 hour tennis practice before hand? It's just impossible.

So instead I'm just gonna do some really tough core/endurance/strengthening workouts when I get home to stay in shape.

Only 24 ours on a day. you are choosing wisely!
  • Options
    ehbacon said:

I agree studying is important to get to where you want in life. You have your exercise sorted so don't need the running for exercise. Just ensure you keep up your exercise since that's a great stress relief for studying. It's hard work being a student and trying to fit everything in. Good luck EH, you sound very motivated so keep up the hard work.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

Monday, weigh in day. Surprised I lost this week. 13 more to go :-)

Well done :)
    You are doing awesome :star: