Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Sprunkn7 said:

Natasha I'm on the hormone roller coaster! I'm turning 51 and let me tell you, my body is like wth? haha...When I cut down on sugar I notice my whole self does much better. There is so much truth to the insulin - cortisol link and hormone changes / response.

You are what yo eat and how do you know who you are if you don't know what you're eating! I read that in Whole 30, along with lots of simple ideas for food. My favorite word in the book is "FRANKENFOODS" that obviously means all the crap that is not whole real food. Think of a twinkie, or an oreo. No nutritional value but our bodies and mind love them! We gobble them up mindlessly while not giving our body anything to use as proper maintenance. A hard habit to break but break it I will!

This site is playing up, I started your message a while ago and I keep getting... Notice saying we are at full capacity.
    I feel for you with the hormones, it's very frustrating, hopefully in the next few years research brings about answers for many women and their hormones... Once you have kids, hormones are changed forever, making them more sensitive. Then anything you eat or do can effect them.
    You definitely are what you eat and that's why it's so important not to listen to our brain saying I want that chocolate, I've been on the chocolate roller-coaster, you start eating it weekly, then it becomes every few days when you've had a crap week....Then before you know it you are eating chocolate every day because your brain keeps saying I want to eat chocolate. But once you cut chocolate out of your diet you feel so much better, sleeping well and exercising more. I don't eat chocolate at all and my go to treats are frozen mango smoothies (home-made), dates mixed with nuts or mango sorbet, it's so sweet I only need 2-3 spoonfuls. These 3 treats can curb my sugar cravings and I can eat them more regularly than other treats due to low sugar, and lower calories. I also make a carrot and walnut cake, that's low in sugar, but only allow it once a week.
    I also think artificial sugar sweetners are a problem with many people, there is not enough research into them and they are showing up in all types of foods including dried fruits....dried fruits are sweet enough without adding more to them! But the industry doesn't care. They want to mass produce and make more $$$.
    Good luck Sprunkn you can stop those evil cookies. Keep a diary and see how often you are saying no to the cookies and reward yourself weekly if you can go for the week without them. But reward yourself with clothes, outing, new music, new dvd...just not food!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    no food reward? Boo! lol.... of course. I usually eat dark chocolate, the good kind! But I know what you're saying. I'm doing pretty good. Every week building my new way of eating. Moderation is helping me.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    What you could do if you are a chocolate addict is to keep in your fridge some dark chocolate chips, the purest kind you can find. When you feel like you want chocolate, you take a dozen or less chips and it satisfy your chocolate rage without having to eat a big piece and you don't feel guilty.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Thanks for the kind words and other good information, everyone! I had a really high spike in BP a couple weeks ago, so I figured I'd better stop screwing around and get checked out. Hopefully the good news will continue after my follow-up next month!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I love love love green beans. Anyone know a good green bean salad??
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I started hula hooping again. The abs workouts are kicking my butt like crazy.
  • Options
    Foxy, get a jar of really good pickles, like Polish dill pickles from the European section in the supermarket. Chop half an onion into tiny pieces, stir it in with the pickles juice and put the beans in. Let it sit in the fridge for a day amd then - indulge.
  • Options

That sounds like so much fun. Do you go to a class? Or just have fun at home?
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Foxy, get a jar of really good pickles, like Polish dill pickles from the European section in the supermarket. Chop half an onion into tiny pieces, stir it in with the pickles juice and put the beans in. Let it sit in the fridge for a day amd then - indulge.

Just don't breathe on anyone.lol
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    First time I cooked a sweet potato in my life - yay! I microwaved it. Not bad. I see potential. I think of it as bright orange thick porridge. I put a little earth's best and granola on top. I was expecting the texture to make me gag and it didn't. It didn't have a lot of flavor. Maybe I was expecting more sweet. Good suggestion!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Nothing like a sweet potato cooked in the oven, I cook 2 or 3 at once for the week. Wash, poke with a fork, brush with olive oil (or avocado oil) salt and pepper. I place foil down on the pan to save up on the mess later. Really good with a little ghee and some Cinnamon. yummy!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Ms. Haiku said:

First time I cooked a sweet potato in my life - yay! I microwaved it. Not bad. I see potential. I think of it as bright orange thick porridge. I put a little earth's best and granola on top. I was expecting the texture to make me gag and it didn't. It didn't have a lot of flavor. Maybe I was expecting more sweet. Good suggestion!

Perhaps Butternut Squash is more your style?? I prefer it to sweet potato 10:1. Particularly with some hot peppas!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I skipped my run this morning because it was 4 degrees and I didn't feel like scraping snow but now I wish I had done it!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I skipped my run this morning because it was 4 degrees and I didn't feel like scraping snow but now I wish I had done it!

I didn't run because it's cold outside. It will be supercold tomorrow. I'm sending you Roger-Bannister-good-thoughts if you decide to run.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

I didn't run because it's cold outside. It will be supercold tomorrow. I'm sending you Roger-Bannister-good-thoughts if you decide to run.
    I have to tomorrow, if I skip 2 days in a row I will never run again lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

You have a built in fur coat.No excuses
  • Options
    Otherwise do a weights or aerobic routine inside, if you have no dvds search in YouTube.
  • Options
    I'm trying to reduce my sugar intake, and I noticed that I wasn't craving it yesterday, but I am today. Then I found this gem about a "sweet" orange thing we all know and love.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

Ms. Haiku said:

rgambs said:

You have a built in fur coat.No excuses
    Hahaha that's what my wife said!
  • Options

Otherwise do a weights or aerobic routine inside, if you have no dvds search in YouTube.

That doesn't work for me, if I work out in the house the dogs wake the baby and then I get my run in when I evade angry mama lol
  • Options
    Natasha,I'm way past going to school to study this.lol
    But We live it.
    Wife is a licensed PTrainer And I have been a knuckle dragging gym rat for 3 decades.So I'm in deep,for sure.
    Best of luck with your field of study.It sounds like you will be fantastic at it.
  • Options
    I love all Natasas input!! Thanks for all the info and motivation!
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Natasha,I'm way past going to school to study this.lol
    But We live it.
    Wife is a licensed PTrainer And I have been a knuckle dragging gym rat for 3 decades.So I'm in deep,for sure.
    Best of luck with your field of study.It sounds like you will be fantastic at it.

Sprunkn7 said:

I love all Natasas input!! Thanks for all the info and motivation!

Oh thanks guys, that's so lovely to hear :heart: I appreciate the feedback. When I'm going crazy with the study overload during this year I'll be thinking of you and I'll be able to push through so I can help you and others. I have 2 more weeks left of freedom before my crazy uni life begins...it's very intense, but I keep telling myself it will be worth it once I finish. Everyone on this thread has inspired me during my break. I love creating new healthy recipes and sharing them.

RR I'm probably not much younger than you, LOL!! I understand where your passion comes from, you have definitely reinforced things I have forgotten about and taught me new things that I have looked up, I love this thread...it's become my favourite go to thread every morning that I
    wake up.
  • Options
    After Ms Haiku asking about sweet potatoes earlier in the week, it made me want a sweet potato dish, so I created this delicious salad.
    Sweet potato is high in fibre (especially with skin intact), and many vitamins. It is also a good source of protein, iron and calcium.

Today’s salad: Roasted sweet potato salad (serves 2)
    Ingredients:
    1 sweet potato (7.1 oz) cut into 0.2 inch thick slices ( Scrub the sweet potato and leave the skin on- more nutrients)
    1.5 teaspoon maple syrup
    Ground cumin powder
    1 red onion – sliced thinly
    2.8 oz baby spinach leaves or lettuce leaves
    ¼ cup fresh mint leaves (removed from stalk)
    1 cucumber – sliced thinly
    2 tablespoons sunflower seeds (other seeds or nuts can be used)
    4.4 oz cherry tomatoes- halved
    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

Method:
    1. Preheat oven to 356 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with baking paper (less mess to clean up), mix sweet potato with maple syrup and make sure all sweet potato is in a single layer then sprinkle ground cumin over sweet potato.
    2. Bake for about 20 minutes then add onion into oven, and bake a further 10 minutes.
    3. Allow sweet potato and onions to cool for at least 10 minutes.
    4. Prepare lettuce, mint, tomatoes, and cucumber in 2 bowls, then top with sweet potato, onion and sunflower seeds.
    5. Drizzle over balsamic vinegar. Optional sprinkle with chilli flakes or finely chopped chilli.
    ** You could bake 2 sweet potatoes at the start of the week and make the rest of the salad each night before work (I separate the dressing and seeds and put on top of salad just before eating). The salad is most yummiest with warm sweet potato, but it is yum eaten cold. Cooked sweet potato will last in your fridge up to a week.
  • Options

That sounds like so much fun. Do you go to a class? Or just have fun at home?
    I just have fun at home. There are some good videos out there on youtube. I have developed a 1 hour routine this week. My upper thighs won't stop telling me that I exercised :lol: It is fun, much more than any other workout I have ever tried. I had two hoops, but i made two more and filled them with water to make them heavier. They feel awesome! I love hooping because it does not really feel like your typical workout. You can dance your ass off so to speak. The whole body is in motion, it is pretty cool.
  • Options

That sounds like fun, Leezestarr313. There is a toy store near me. I could try it out again. I was a pro in elementary school, but now I'll just focus on getting it around.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

That sounds like fun, Leezestarr313. There is a toy store near me. I could try it out again. I was a pro in elementary school, but now I'll just focus on getting it around.
    Don't go for the kids hoops, they are too light and inefficient. They make adult hoops now, even weighted ones. They are much easier to get going. I have two that I brought over from Germany, but the new ones I made from irrigation piping. 1 inch diameter, cut so that the hoop comes up slightly above the navel, and connected with a connector piece. All I need is to make thzem pretty with some glitter tape.
  • Options
    Carrots do wonders for me, they keep me from eating everything else that is bad.
    I smoke and I get the munchies, this makes not eating chocolate chip cookies a difficult task.
    Step 1, don't buy chocolate chip cookies, buy carrots.
    Step 2, get high. Just for fun.
    Step 3, go to the munchies and find only carrots.
    Step 4, eat carrots in 2 cm bites and chew very thoroughly, biting each piece in half again and again to keep your mouth busy.
    Step 5, repeat if necessary.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,327
    Want a quick workout? Buy a jump rope! Excellent for your lymph system, too.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Carrots do wonders for me, they keep me from eating everything else that is bad.
    I smoke and I get the munchies, this makes not eating chocolate chip cookies a difficult task.
    Step 1, don't buy chocolate chip cookies, buy carrots.
    Step 2, get high. Just for fun.
    Step 3, go to the munchies and find only carrots.
    Step 4, eat carrots in 2 cm bites and chew very thoroughly, biting each piece in half again and again to keep your mouth busy.
    Step 5, repeat if necessary.

Or,dip those cookies in milk,go to town on them.Have a sugar high,then a carb crash.Fall asleep bloated and wake up with a carb hangover.Then shame yourself into a monster long workout.

Also a option here Gambsy