Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Eggs - one of the most nutritious foods, they are low in calories, high in protein and contain all of the essential vitamins and minerals (the ones your body can not make). Aim to eat 2 eggs at least 2-3 times a week. But stay away from fried eggs as the cooking process destroys all the essential vitamins and minerals.

Recipe: Zucchini and carrot slice
    serves 6 (leftovers for work, I freeze the left over, but it goes a bit soggy)
    2 medium zucchuni grated
    1 large carrot grated
    1 large onion (grated or chopped finely)
    1 cup low fat grated cheese
    1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    6 eggs (lightly beaten)
    1/2 cup corn kernels (frozen or tin is fine)

Optional: 1-2 tomatoes sliced thickly
    3 rashes bacon diced
    Serve with garden salad or steamed vegetables

Method
    1. Line a baking tray (base 6.3" x 10.2").
    2. Heat oven to 356 degrees Fahrenheit.
    3. Combine everything except the tomatoes into a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
    4. Pour egg mixture into the lined baking tray, and smooth top over with a spatula, then randomly place pieces of tomato over the top and push tomato into egg mixture.
    5. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until browned.
    6. Serve with salad or steamed vegetables.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Natasha,I consume at least 6 -8 eggs a day.Pan fried with Pam or an olive oil mist is fine.Remember it's not just the vitamins.The protein and good fat is quite essential to building and maintaining lean muscle mass,Boosting the immune system and overall well being.Eggs are a terrific source of all the above.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    eggs, the power house and base of a great paleo breakfast, snack or salad filler!!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Eggs are awesome... Has anybody here ever had an egg the day it was laid???
    You wouldn't believe how much better the texture and flavor are compared to the weeks old grocery store eggs.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    edited February 2016
    I microwaved a potato, put an avocado and onion on it and then a microwave-poached egg to increase my potassium. It needed pepper, but good overall. Nice comfy-food texture.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    rr165892 said:

Natasha,I consume at least 6 -8 eggs a day.Pan fried with Pam or an olive oil mist is fine.Remember it's not just the vitamins.The protein and good fat is quite essential to building and maintaining lean muscle mass,Boosting the immune system and overall well being.Eggs are a terrific source of all the above.

:lol: I started to read your response and thought for sure you were gonna say raw eggs. Haha ewe.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    I'm eating Back to Nature, Harvest Whole Wheat Crackers. They are good. I'm surprised. They are Trisket-like, but taste buttery. Ingredients include whole wheat, safflower oil, sea salt, vitamin E.

low salt, no cholesterol. I would recommend these as snacks.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

I baked a potato, put an avocado on it and then a microwave-poached egg to increase my potassium. It needed pepper, but good overall. Nice comfy-food texture.

Baked sweet potato is awesome with a tiny dab of some real Irish butter and cinnamon.Low glycemic carb.Great for energy.Great nuked also.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

rr165892 said:

:lol: I started to read your response and thought for sure you were gonna say raw eggs. Haha ewe.
    Old school rocky style.
    Not for me.I like to cook my salmonella first.lol
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

I baked a potato, put an avocado on it and then a microwave-poached egg to increase my potassium. It needed pepper, but good overall. Nice comfy-food texture.

Baked sweet potato is awesome with a tiny dab of some real Irish butter and cinnamon.Low glycemic carb.Great for energy.Great nuked also.
    Sounds good, rr165892. I'm going to try that. I never eat sweet potatoes except in fries, but this sounds good.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rr165892 said:

Yes you are definitely correct in talking about how great eggs are in their protein content and good fat content, but I think what I said has been taken out of context (the main problem with writing on threads). I was pointing out if you eat the minimum egg quantities you want the best results, and by frying eggs you are destroying a lot of those essential vitamins your body can't produce, such as vitamin E, vitamin B12, and vitamin A. There is much scientific evidence on this, I can send you some literature if you like (nutrition and dietitics is what I'm studying at uni). I'm not trying to dispute you, just trying to explain what I meant. Please PM if you want more info, or to discuss more.
    Post edited by Natashapearljamfan on
  • Options

rr165892 said:

Yes you are definitely correct in talking about how great eggs are in their protein content and good fat content, but I think what I said has been taken out of context (the main problem with writing on threads). I was pointing out if you eat the minimum egg quantities you want the best results, and by frying eggs you are destroying a lot of those essential vitamins your body can't produce, such as vitamin E, vitamin B12, and vitamin A. There is much scientific evidence on this, I can send you some literature if you like (nutrition and dietitics is what I'm studying at uni). I'm not trying to dispute you, just trying to explain what I meant. Please PM if you want more info, or to discuss more.
    Thank you for the offer Natasha.I know you weren't trying to dispute,neither was I.

The field you are studying is one of great interest and has also been a important part of my life for the last 3 decades.For both fitness and health and well being.

If you want to see an interesting exercise in the proper nutrition/diet/exercise interface try studying body builders and female fitness competitors.Look at the eating requirements when caloric intake is both manipulated and exploited depending on the results one is looking for.I find this part of it very intriguing and it ties great into the hormonal response aspect.

Take a lot of the standard info you know and turn in on its head and really look at everything from insulin responses to carb uptake for max recovery.Finding the perfect balances for desired results.Its a science all its own.Ratios of proteins not just for required guidelines but to manipulate growth patterns.
    I look forward to you sharing more of what you are learning.Like I said it's a very interesting field of study
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I used to work with this hottie named Katie..
    Now she's Kate, and she is a fitness model or whatever they call the female bodybuilders...damn she is not a hottie any more, I feel like she took athleticism and made it uncool lol
  • Options
    I was looking at microwaving sweet potatoes, and I got inspired by a recipe to put almond butter on it. It seems like it would need a crunch-texture food on top like popcorn or pretzels. I was thinking a crunchy cereal as I will try this for breakfast. Ideas?
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

I was looking at microwaving sweet potatoes, and I got inspired by a recipe to put almond butter on it. It seems like it would need a crunch-texture food on top like popcorn or pretzels. I was thinking a crunchy cereal as I will try this for breakfast. Ideas?

I would fry up some hot peppers in blueberry vinegar and mash them into the tater, throw an egg on top...yum.

Everything should have hot peppers.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Ms. Haiku said:

What about crushed oats, nuts and seeds (raw assortment of walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds etc). Crush them in a food processor to the consistency you would like, but don't go to fine if you want crunch.
    If you use a cereal you might want to check sugar content.
    You could used air popped popcorn from a popcorn machine or you can cook healthy popcorn in microwave, use plain popcorn kernels (not microwave specific popcorn). Place 1/3 cup in a brown paper bag and microwave on high 1.5-3 mins (until the popping slows down).
    Let me know how it goes. I love sweet potato, I usually cook a whole sweet potato with skin on in oven no oil needed, takes about 1 hr until soft, it's great mashed on sandwiches and wraps, I can't eat cheese and I find it adds a lot of flavour to my toasted sandwiches or wraps.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Ms. Haiku said:

I would fry up some hot peppers in blueberry vinegar and mash them into the tater, throw an egg on top...yum.

I love that comment, I'm on a restriction diet and everything I eat has chilli's on it!
  • Options

rgambs said:

Ms. Haiku said:

I love that comment, I'm on a restriction diet and everything I eat has chilli's on it!
    It's the perfect low calorie, high vitamin c way to make every. single. meal. BETTER!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Ms. Haiku said:

OMG! That sounds inspired.
  • Options

Ms. Haiku said:

What about crushed oats, nuts and seeds (raw assortment of walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds etc). Crush them in a food processor to the consistency you would like, but don't go to fine if you want crunch.
    If you use a cereal you might want to check sugar content.
    You could used air popped popcorn from a popcorn machine or you can cook healthy popcorn in microwave, use plain popcorn kernels (not microwave specific popcorn). Place 1/3 cup in a brown paper bag and microwave on high 1.5-3 mins (until the popping slows down).
    Let me know how it goes. I love sweet potato, I usually cook a whole sweet potato with skin on in oven no oil needed, takes about 1 hr until soft, it's great mashed on sandwiches and wraps, I can't eat cheese and I find it adds a lot of flavour to my toasted sandwiches or wraps.
    Nuts will probably do it. Awesome!
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

I'm eating Back to Nature, Harvest Whole Wheat Crackers. They are good. I'm surprised. They are Trisket-like, but taste buttery. Ingredients include whole wheat, safflower oil, sea salt, vitamin E.

low salt, no cholesterol. I would recommend these as snacks.

They sound yum. I'll have to see if they are available in Australia.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Thank you for the offer Natasha.I know you weren't trying to dispute,neither was I.

The field you are studying is one of great interest and has also been a important part of my life for the last 3 decades.For both fitness and health and well being.

If you want to see an interesting exercise in the proper nutrition/diet/exercise interface try studying body builders and female fitness competitors.Look at the eating requirements when caloric intake is both manipulated and exploited depending on the results one is looking for.I find this part of it very intriguing and it ties great into the hormonal response aspect.

Take a lot of the standard info you know and turn in on its head and really look at everything from insulin responses to carb uptake for max recovery.Finding the perfect balances for desired results.Its a science all its own.Ratios of proteins not just for required guidelines but to manipulate growth patterns.
    I look forward to you sharing more of what you are learning.Like I said it's a very interesting field of study
    So much you talk about are topics that will be covered this year. I've completed all the required biochemistry, chemistry, anatomy, physiology and intermediate nutrition. This year and next year brings it all together. Including writing a thesis and working in hospitals.
    People that study athletes and their diets would be a wealth of knowledge, food ratios are different for every individual and it's amazing to think in the next 5 years or so genomics is going to be huge, where you can get your blood analysed to determine the foods that suit your body, as well as predisposed diseases so you can change lifestyle choices to decrease the chance of getting those diseases. Government regulations are based for the general population but soon it will all be about the individual, then we will see another change in elite athletes.

Hormones are area that needs more study, and they definitely play a huge part in insulin uptake, food digestion and motivation.

While all these topics are so interesting my passion is in helping people become healthier and creating recipes. Maybe the next 2 years of studying will change my passion.
  • Options
    Natasha I'm on the hormone roller coaster! I'm turning 51 and let me tell you, my body is like wth? haha...When I cut down on sugar I notice my whole self does much better. There is so much truth to the insulin - cortisol link and hormone changes / response.

You are what yo eat and how do you know who you are if you don't know what you're eating! I read that in Whole 30, along with lots of simple ideas for food. My favorite word in the book is "FRANKENFOODS" that obviously means all the crap that is not whole real food. Think of a twinkie, or an oreo. No nutritional value but our bodies and mind love them! We gobble them up mindlessly while not giving our body anything to use as proper maintenance. A hard habit to break but break it I will!
  • Options
    Sprunkn,
    Sugar is huge.Its the number one cause of inflammation,Diabetes and weight gain.I don't eat anything with High fructose Corn Syrup or the equivalents.Some sugar is ok in moderation.I use a rock beet sugar from teavana in my iced tea.It has a low glycemic index.

Those frankenfoods stimulate the receptors in the brain exactly like herion and cocaine.Thats why simple carbs are so bad for you.All crap.
  • Options
    Natasha,Go to a local gym full of my fellow meatheads and talk to them about diet.This may give you some great insight not found in your study material.May be a great angle for your thesis research.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    So I had my first doctor appt in over 2 years yesterday. I stopped going to my last doctor because, although he was a decent doctor, he was very impersonal. I just felt like I was another body he was pushing out the door with most of the same protocols he treats everyone else.

I have a bad family history of heart disease, on both sides. I have been taking statins & ACE inhibitors since the ripe young age of 27. Well, when I stopped seeing my doctor and ran out of my scripts, I obviously lapsed on my medication.

About 8-9 months ago I made a conscious effort to start eating better. I removed fast food from my diet and I cook for myself on a daily basis. And I've stuck with it. At my appt yesterday, my bp was decent enough that my new doc said meds weren't necessary yet. I go back in a month for follow-up and she'll assess it then.

Anyway, lesson learned is this... and although it seems rather obvious, I'm living proof... fast food is dangerous! I removed it from my diet and, even though I've skipped meds for 2 years, I don't need to get right back on them!

(Also, bonus that my new doctor is hot as hell!)
  • Options

So I had my first doctor appt in over 2 years yesterday. I stopped going to my last doctor because, although he was a decent doctor, he was very impersonal. I just felt like I was another body he was pushing out the door with most of the same protocols he treats everyone else.

I have a bad family history of heart disease, on both sides. I have been taking statins & ACE inhibitors since the ripe young age of 27. Well, when I stopped seeing my doctor and ran out of my scripts, I obviously lapsed on my medication.

About 8-9 months ago I made a conscious effort to start eating better. I removed fast food from my diet and I cook for myself on a daily basis. And I've stuck with it. At my appt yesterday, my bp was decent enough that my new doc said meds weren't necessary yet. I go back in a month for follow-up and she'll assess it then.

Anyway, lesson learned is this... and although it seems rather obvious, I'm living proof... fast food is dangerous! I removed it from my diet and, even though I've skipped meds for 2 years, I don't need to get right back on them!

:clap:

So happy for you!
  • Options

Well done Dyer, for taking the initiative to look after yourself. Ha ha got to love the hot doctor especially when you have been doing things right and you have more motivation to keep it up for the next visit.
    If you eat foods like nuts, eggs and avocado they all have the good fats that help reduce the bad cholesterol in your body. If you bring exercise into the equation that will also help lower cholesterol levels. Exercise and healthy diet are the key.. . It really is that simple. Cut out majority of treat food and exercise daily and you will see results in a month or so.
    Fast food and treats are evil.....Unfortunately our brain loves them as sprunkn and rr say. Basically once you have eaten your sugar allowance for the day this means all of your sugar stores are full (good or bad sugars, your body treats them the same way) then your body will convert the excess sugars into fat, which usually stays around your middle area. Treat food is ok one-two times and a week. Best eaten on days you have exercised and eaten lower calories ie a vegetarian meal. Then there is less chance of you putting on weight.

• Options

Congratulations, HesCalledDyer! It's a wonderful feeling to get off the meds. I got off a statin in September. It was a caution, but not really necessary for me to be on it.

That's wonderful you don't have to take it. Statins aren't nice. (little fuckers)
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Natasha,Go to a local gym full of my fellow meatheads and talk to them about diet.This may give you some great insight not found in your study material.May be a great angle for your thesis research.

Hey RR, I'll definitely consider that when I do my thesis, have you considered going back to uni yourself? You would be perfect with your prior knowledge, in my course 1/4 of us are mature age returning to study to have a career in something we are passionate about, my studies came about because after I had my son my hormones went crazy and I was sure it was something in my diet. I've seen doctors, acupuncturist, homoeopathic and herbalist. But no-one has sorted out my problems. Now I'm studying I have some idea and I'm working with a dietitian to discover I might have a dairy allergy, I was born lactose intolerant.
    I really think you should consider studying, we need passionate people in the industry :)