Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Doing well, Knowing that Monday weigh in is coming is a real motivator! I'm home all weekend and feel like having a free night tomorrow. I think some vodka will be poured!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Magoo2Magoo2 Posts: 94
    The more I think about trying to lose it, the more I start to eat - panic sets in. Does motivation decline with age along with other things? Maybe it's best to just accept the way I am and try to enjoy each day. But something lurking inside of me keeps bugging me, telling me "you know you can do better than this". It is not so much the weight, but feeling out of shape. Lack of motivation to exercise. Any suggestions out there? Thanks for all the input already!
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Take a day by day approach.try to win each day.Make small lifestyle changes that are easy to follow.(Park in back of parking lot,take the steps,etc)Make small diet changes,nothing crazy(no fried food,add in serving or to of fruit and veggie,cut out sugary stuff)All these small changes add up to big results.
    Find a way to get moving.Even if it is small ways at first.Felling good and healthy is the reason to do so.The way you look will follow along with increase in stamina and self worth.You owe it yourself and your family.
    You can do it!!!!! Good luck.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Angelbear said:

The more I think about trying to lose it, the more I start to eat - panic sets in. Does motivation decline with age along with other things? Maybe it's best to just accept the way I am and try to enjoy each day. But something lurking inside of me keeps bugging me, telling me "you know you can do better than this". It is not so much the weight, but feeling out of shape. Lack of motivation to exercise. Any suggestions out there? Thanks for all the input already!

The easiest way is to have or develop a passion for activities that require fitness. Sports, hiking, biking, climbing, kayaking, walking dogs...find something you enjoy and use it as motivation.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Angelbear said:

The easiest way is to have or develop a passion for activities that require fitness. Sports, hiking, biking, climbing, kayaking, walking dogs...find something you enjoy and use it as motivation.
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    rr165892 said:

Take a day by day approach.try to win each day.Make small lifestyle changes that are easy to follow.(Park in back of parking lot,take the steps,etc)Make small diet changes,nothing crazy(no fried food,add in serving or to of fruit and veggie,cut out sugary stuff)All these small changes add up to big results.
    Find a way to get moving.Even if it is small ways at first.Felling good and healthy is the reason to do so.The way you look will follow along with increase in stamina and self worth.You owe it yourself and your family.
    You can do it!!!!! Good luck.

I agree small changes, it takes a long time to put on weight and a long time to lose it properly, also the body wants to hold onto fat stores (evolutionary feature incase we go into famine) the panic sets in because you are trying to make too many changes at once.

You also have to look at this as you are making ling term healthier lifestyle changes....you are not dieting, dieting takes things completely out if your diet. To eat healthy, you eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as some fish, meat, eggs, and grains (oats, nuts, etc) while mainly drinking water (tea/coffee counts to water, just cut back on sugar if you are including it) you can still have treat foods, but beware the high calories in treat foods is how people put weight on, so you want to aim for 1-2 treat meals/snacks in a week.

Start off with 1-2 changes per week, and with easy changes so you give yourself confidence, for example this week you might change to drinking water all the time ie eliminate juices, soda, etc. And add in walking an extra 10 mins every second day, next week you might look at your breakfast and change that to a more filling meal so you don't snack in between breakfast and lunch. Reward yourself weekly if you have achieved that weeks goal, each week keep adding changes and don't forget to keep up with the changes you incorporated the week before. *Note rewards should be something that's not food related. Can be clothes, music, or the opportunity to try a new activity, or any new piece of equipment that will help with your healthy lifestyle changes Eg resistance bands, weights, food processor etc

Please PM me if you want some meal plans.
    You are not alone, so use this thread as support there are amazing people that really want to help you.

Do some kind of exercise daily so you can write about it on here :) good luck you can do it.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    edited February 2016
    Angelbear said:

When I start a new program I always think of the winter warlock in Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Put one foot in front of the other.

I just completed time on the stationary bike. Not as fun as running. My big wall is fear of trying too hard in running. I've never come close, but I am getting to the point when I will try harder.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,107
    Angelbear said:

I understand completely where you're coming from as I felt the same way before I started changing my approach to diet and exercise. Getting that first bit of motivation was tough, but it gets easier once you take that first step (both figuratively and literally). I've found that having support and encouragement helps a lot. My wife and I are encouraging each other as we work out and occasionally get competitive with it. If you need encouragement, just come around here. People here will be supportive of your efforts. Good luck!
  • Options
    Great workout today. Chest day and able to add 2 more reps on my highest bench press weight and able to get a new high weight on the incline bench press. I'm nowhere close, but I feel like the Hulk!
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited February 2016

Great workout today. Chest day and able to add 2 more reps on my highest bench press weight and able to get a new high weight on the incline bench press. I'm nowhere close, but I feel like the Hulk!

Make sure you remember to do fat burning routines too so the muscles can be more prominent faster!
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    food wise I have been bad this weekend! While I'm sipping a whiskey ginger! Back on the horse tmr!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

food wise I have been bad this weekend! While I'm sipping a whiskey ginger! Back on the horse tmr!

Better than beer.

• Options
    I ate 1000 calories today. That's like 2000 down from my old average lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Sprunkn7 said:

Better than beer.

really? Cause I think this has a lot of sugar! lol...Anyway I've been sick with Strep so I have not been eating regularly....antibiotic finally kicking in! Weigh in tmr morning and I have a good week of healthy foods planned.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Yeah well no good news over here either. Gonna keep keepin on tho.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

rgambs said:

Sprunkn7 said:

Better than beer.

really? Cause I think this has a lot of sugar! lol...Anyway I've been sick with Strep so I have not been eating regularly....antibiotic finally kicking in! Weigh in tmr morning and I have a good week of healthy foods planned.
    Hahaha I guess it depends how much ginger ale, I drink my whiskey straight so I am picturing a tiny splash lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Sprunkn7 said:

rgambs said:

Sprunkn7 said:

Better than beer.

Hahaha I guess it depends how much ginger ale, I drink my whiskey straight so I am picturing a tiny splash lol
    well, there isn't much ginger in there,,,it's knob creek so I try not to ruin it too much.I'm cutting it b/c I'm not sure I should be drinking on an antibiotic but what the hell. rationalization is a beautiful thing.
  • Options
    ehbacon said:

Make sure you remember to do fat burning routines too so the muscles can be more prominent faster!
    Definitely. Did some ab work and about 2 miles on the treadmill as well, but they're boring to talk about :lol:
  • Options
    Has anyone tried Crickers Crackers? They are made from cricket flour, a healthy snack.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Cricket flour? Like real ground up crickets?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Yes...the crickets are roasted then ground into flour to make these Crackers.
    Crickets are high in protein and meant to be healthy, they have a crunchy nutty taste. I saw a show today called Food Futures, and I saw them on there.
  • Options
    I'm all in for eating high protein but I am not eating crickets :rofl:
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Not nearly enough G.You will loose muscle and energy.At your estimated weight,you should be aiming for between 1700-2000 calories.With moderate/active activity level.

• Options

If you want to see your max increase quickly,use the smith machine (self spotting)for benching. It will allow you to load a bit more weight then your used to pressing.Do this ,increasing your max load for a couple weeks and then go back to standard bench and see what happens.You will be pleasantly surprised.
  • Options
    Yay!!! Down 5 pounds! 15 to go but I have the momentum now :transformer:
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

If you want to see your max increase quickly,use the smith machine (self spotting)for benching. It will allow you to load a bit more weight then your used to pressing.Do this ,increasing your max load for a couple weeks and then go back to standard bench and see what happens.You will be pleasantly surprised.
    Thanks for the tip. I've used the Smith machine before, but mainly for squats and drag curls to help me keep better form. Will have to try it for presses too.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

Congrats! Keep it up!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

Congratulations, Sprunkn7!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I woke up feeling very good - strange feeling because it is Monday :)

Ran today. It was good.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

Not nearly enough G.You will loose muscle and energy.At your estimated weight,you should be aiming for between 1700-2000 calories.With moderate/active activity level.

I know it, I had plenty of protein and fiber, so I wasn't hungry or low energy. I had 2 Apple's 2 oranges, a dark chocolate bar, a tuna packet and 2 chicken fajitas. I am not a calorie counter, but I have to get back down around 200 so I can step up my work out intensity. Carrying this prodigious belly for hillhiking jogging, and squats is not going so well for my lower back.