Comments

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited November 2016

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

JC29856 said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

My polling place had a line a block and a half long at 8 am. Have voted there for 8 years and have never seen it like that. My sister in a nearby neighborhood waited a half hour. Saw numerous long lines throughout the city on my bike on the way into work. I will be leaving work early to vote, wasn't waiting in that line.

If Trump was banking on low turnout or enthusiasm in Philly, it would seem he was sadly mistaken.

There should never be lines like that to vote, it's a fucking shame.
    If you think long lines in inner cities has nothing to do with voter suppression of democrats you are a damn fool.
    People wait in longer lines to get on rides in Disney World. I LOVE IT that lines are long for voting. Yay for democracy!

I volunteered at my precinct for the 5-7 AM shift. It was 33 degrees out, and not a single person left because of a 25-minute wait in line or the cold.

Voting is EASY.
    Disney World isn't a right, it's a privilege!
    Voting should be easy and shouldn't require standing in the cold at all. If the parties want to spend billions on tv ads, they should be required to contribute a percentage to an election board that facilitates voting access.
    Boom goes the dynamite.

I don't think anyone should have to wait more than 20 minutes to vote. $1billion election
    $7 billion Halloween. Americans spent more on Halloween candy than they have on our election.

The billion election dollars don't go to state and local election commissions, and God forbid we raise any taxes to upgrade our systems.

In my locality, they couldn't get enough poll workers to check people in. VOLUNTEERS are spread thin, some working 5 AM TO 7 PM -- 14 hour plus shifts -- to process people. Give them a fucking break. Shut up and vote, you entitled whiners.
    Come down off your high horse and stop being defensive. So you volunteer. Cool. That doesn't mean you have to defend the indefensible.
    Get on board with making voting easier and getting some of the money to people like yourself, don't insult people arrogantly.

I voted, I don't live in an anthill (remember, a trailer in Amish country lol) so there was no wait.
    Here's a suggestion. Get involved in your community. Call your locally elected officials after the election and find out the average wait time at all precincts instead of relying on generalized news media reports of "lines" "somewhere," probably nowhere near where you live. Then, if it was a problem, get together with some like-minded individuals and do something about it. After the last election in my locality, this happened: fairfaxcounty.gov/electioncommission/election-commission-report.htm And guess what? As recommended by this commission, every precinct this election had electronic check-in stations with drivers licence scanners so people could get in and out in 25 minutes. We even had "curbside voting" at every single polling place for people with physical disabilities. Teachers were told to "work at home" on our workday to free up parking spaces for voters at school polling locations. Only one polling place was a two-precinct polling place. Pretty much every recommendation in the commission report was implemented. Ironically, the people who slowed down the lines were the ones (the few) who didn't bring a drivers license and used some other photo ID instead that couldn't be scanned. Uh-oh. You know what that means. It must be Democratic Voter Suppression!!!!! We've got to allow the poor black voters to slow down the line or it just won't be fair!!!!! (Do you hear how ridiculous that sounds? It is ridiculous when you realize that A UNIFORM VOTER ID SPEEDS UP THE LINES.)

I have no problem at all with making voter easier. I never said don't make it easier. I said quit whining about waiting in a line as though your rights are being trampled on when localities are working with what they have to make the election happen. Celebrate democracy. Get out of your damned trailer, spend time with your neighbors, and join together in this wonderful communal event. The only thing you hear in my voice is my being sick of all the people in this country who do nothing but bitch, bitch, bitch about everything that's wrong and then when I attend a government meeting, CRICKETS. The room is practically empty. The same people always show up, and then everybody else gets mad at the decisions that the people who show up recommend. You want things to move and shake in your favor? Public meetings are OPEN to all members of the public. Find your seat at the table.
    If you read my posts, I haven't waited in line to vote, (ever, actually) my concern is for democracy at large.
    Fact -- lines are long
    Your interpretation of the fact -- democracy is doomed
    My interpretation of the fact -- democracy is alive and well
    :giggle:
    When popular votes don't win an election, it is not democracy in action. When one party can buy an election, it is not democracy in action. We know Hillary will win, but we have to make it look like Trump has a chance (oh the drama). When the 2 party system hires their own to preside over presidential debates, and hands questions directly to their candidates ahead of time, it is not democracy in action.

But keep believing democracy here works... and money in politics make no difference. Even on the local level, the guy w/ the most money wins.

Gibsons whiskey + CNN = stress.

Oh the drama! :giggle:
    rgambs said:

Free said:

JC29856 said:

Wow. Georgia going to Hilliary.
    Game over!

Please stop. You're clogging things up for people hoping to find real news.
    The real news is Hillary won a long time ago, we already knew it!
    The part of me that hopes for Trump to win so that your foolishness will be laid bare is about the size of a carbon atom...bit it is there lol
    You can't fool me, Hill voter. But I'd like to see Trump win more than FL just to prove me wrong. :)
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Jake tapper twice said we need then corrected himself Hilliary Clinton needs, twice. Lmao
  • Holy moly.
    CNN can't report the truth.
    Admit it VA is Trump.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    Guess I don't have to decide whether to come back and eat crow
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Oh did they call the election? I missed that. It's just close. Don't spike the ball before you reach the end zone.

Oh did they call the election? I missed that. It's just close. Don't spike the ball before you reach the end zone.

Tell that to the media before they pull another 2000.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    Free said:

Gibsons whiskey + CNN = stress.

Oh the drama! :giggle:
    I'm honestly nervous right now. If trump wins, what will you say about predetermination?

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Free said:

Oh did they call the election? I missed that. It's just close. Don't spike the ball before you reach the end zone.

Tell that to the media before they pull another 2000.
    I think the media is being VERY cautious tonight. I've never seen so many in the too close/too early to call states at any given time.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I thought it was going to get called by 10, I'm watching hockey...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    Nate silver
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    My god cnn. At least attempt to look impartial.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659

That's like asking foxnews to be impartial
  • My god cnn. At least attempt to look impartial.

That's like asking foxnews to be impartial
    They can't.
    Radlibs don't know how to behave that way.
    Wonder if Hilliary is proud of her campaign right now?
    Johnson cost Hilliary the election!
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,096
    Is anyone else just absolutely speechless?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    benjs said:

Is anyone else just absolutely speechless?

I'm absolutely tanked!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

(Btw, it is total madness that things are already being called and results being released before all polls are closed. :dizzy: Shouldn't be legal IMO )

Are you seeing a state bring called before their polls close? The media self imposed a moratorium on that several years ago.
    I meant all polls in the country. Results in other states can impact voters where polls aren't closed yet.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I'm thinking Hilliary might shit her pants suit!
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    JC29856 said:

I'm thinking Hilliary might shit her pants suit!

And Bill continues his nap
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    She had no platform.
    Google plane just picked up Clinton attorneys and flying them to Florida
    Anyone see a concession speech?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    I am very disappointed in America right now
    I miss igotid88
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    edited November 2016

Why start now?
This discussion has been closed.