WWII

Comments

• jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

Did this even happen?

The OP who has questions after watching band of brothers and admits they live in a bubble and has been untouched by such horror is subject to big-boy questions.

The shit that the two of you consistently spew on here baffles me. Why do you have to be such contrarions??
    Please don't start with the bullying. I'm not spewing shit, I asked a question.
    You asked a rather vague question and then failed to answer my question in return. You asked "Did this even happen?" Would you like to explain your question?
  • JUST A GIRLJUST A GIRL Posts: 372
    edited September 2015

Did this even happen?

The OP who has questions after watching band of brothers and admits they live in a bubble and has been untouched by such horror is subject to big-boy questions.

The shit that the two of you consistently spew on here baffles me. Why do you have to be such contrarions??
    Oh for goodness' sake. Get over yourself. No one is bullying you. You made an idiotic remark and you always post combative material. I'm not bullying you, I simply don't like you because you always post stupid crap like this. If anyone is guilty of bullying, it's you. You are ALWAYS combative. I'm just calling you out on it.
    Now it's a personal attack. You're saying how you don't like me. All I did was ask a question.

Now I've been bullied (by claiming I spew shit) and then attacked saying how you don't like me. That's not following the posting guidelines and hurts my feeling. This always seems to happen on Sunday, the lords day when I have my Christian Rock tunes on and am enjoying spending time proclaiming my love for God and Jesus.

I'll ask again, please don't personally attack me or my faith.
    Post edited by JUST A GIRL on
  • brianlux said:

I will always risk getting fried on these boards (yes, it's happened)

:rofl:

Yes. War is terrible and there is no need for it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    The more I read about history, the more I'm convinced that war is a game of the wealthy, that it has nothing to do with the common person, and that there have been no honorable or justifiable wars. All the jingoism around war is concocted to keep the masses in line with this game.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited September 2015

Did this even happen?

Oh for goodness' sake. Get over yourself. No one is bullying you. You made an idiotic remark and you always post combative material. I'm not bullying you, I simply don't like you because you always post stupid crap like this. If anyone is guilty of bullying, it's you. You are ALWAYS combative. I'm just calling you out on it.
    Now it's a personal attack. You're saying how you don't like me. All I did was ask a question.

Now I've been bullied (by claiming I spew shit) and then attacked saying how you don't like me. That's not following the posting guidelines and hurts my feeling. This always seems to happen on Sunday, the lords day when I have my Christian Rock tunes on and am enjoying spending time proclaiming my love for God and Jesus.

JAG, you are right, there is no need to take this for just asking a question. (Continue to Rock on to your Christian Rock tunes)!

War is terrible.
    OP, any history book will answer your questions about WW2.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

Did this even happen?

And I believe a question was asked of you.... Please clarify your question.

The only person who has brought up your faith in this thread is you. No one has attacked your faith in this thread.

I'll ask again: please clarify your question.
    ELITIST FUK
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    1) I've seen this brought up in a few other threads and it's a great topic. I believe war is not caused by religion, nationalism or anything such as that. War is caused by very few men looking for power and wealth.....who manipulate the majority through excuses such as religion and nationalism to war with others.

2) Band Of Brothers is the single best war series I have ever seen.

3)
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ain't gonna happen, Sister Soul SD.

We're nearing a time when all (real!) WWII vets will be gone. Holocaust survivors no longer alive.

So important to ask and learn of this crucial slice of history.

The whole historical fucking pie, actually.

(cool whip on mine, please)
    Nice one, dignin.

I'd throw ego in there too.

And BoB is added to my list of "shit I really need to watch".
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist said:

Nice one, dignin.

I've never seen it either
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Did this even happen?

You have in the past and continue to post things of truculence and I am simply calling it into question. My opinion of you, based on such posts, is not an attack, it's an observation. Perhaps I was a bit harsh in expressing that and for that I am sorry.
    There was no mention of your faith anywhere at any time so I'm not sure why that was brought up. What a person believes in has no bearing on how I see them. I would never question you for that. I believe in upholding a person's right to freedom of religion. :smile:

Done here.
  • Did this even happen?

Come on. Give us something. Can we at least attack your bible rock?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    rr165892 said:

hedonist said:

Nice one, dignin.

I've never seen it either
    The BEST you guys......it's perfect over Christmas holidays if you have the time. It's a whose who of actors before they were famous.

I can't recommend it enough.
    Just when I think I've got a good grasp on my vocabulary, "truculence" comes along.

:clap:
  • Did this even happen?

Bible rock?

And you've done more than enough bashing of "dumb ass Christians" for one lifetime.

My faith is brought up because religion = war. That's what you said. And I said please don't insult Christians on my day of worship, Sunday.

That's why it's being discussed.

Remember that it was the Romans in the midst of their own holy war that decided to crucify Jesus due to not agreeing with his beliefs. Don't do the same thing.

Did this even happen?

Bible rock?

And you've done more than enough bashing of "dumb ass Christians" for one lifetime.

My faith is brought up because religion = war. That's what you said. And I said please don't insult Christians on my day of worship, Sunday.

Remember that it was the Romans in the midst of their own holy war that decided to crucify Jesus due to not agreeing with his beliefs. Don't do the same thing.
    I have not attacked your religion, so would you please clarify your question?
    ELITIST FUK
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,644

Did this even happen?

To what does your question refer to?

Until that is known how can anyone possibly answer?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited September 2015

Did this even happen?

Bible rock?

I've definitely attacked religion. But I'm not the person who you accuse of making the comment that's got you huffy.

And lighten up. I was clowning around with you with my last post.

Edit: wait a minute... when have I ever used the term 'dumb ass Christians'? You can infer what you want from my attacks on religion, but don't place words in my mouth.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Did this even happen?

I feel a flag coming on. Watch out Dyer.

JAG, when people say that they don't like you, it isn't an attack. It is just how someone feels. I'm sure that there are plenty of people on here that you don't care for. When you ask a question and people are asking for clarification, you think it is an attack. It is not an attack. They are asking for specifics.

No religion was brought up until you had at this point.

God and Jesus are totally my people, but my book about them doesn't tell me to bait, attack and jump up and down in a tantrum.

May peace be with you and in your soul. I think that AMT is not a peaceful place for you. I think it makes you anxious and angry. May the Lord guide you to where He feels you can best use the talents He gave to you and feel the peace and love in your heart that He intends you to.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1

Did this even happen?

Yes, WWII happened.
    Yes, the Holocaust happened.
    Yes, Easy Company was a real batallion.
    Yes, I believe OP watching Band of Brothers & The Pacific happened.
    Yes, this thread happened.

All clear, now?
  • Crazy, crazy, crazy Sunday! Can't clarify crazy. It's just crazy!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Peace indeed, deadend! It will forever affect - and sometimes humble - me, how strongly intent and energy come through words and a SCREEN.

But, it does. For better (in so many cases right here on these boards) or worse (sparsely).

And, I guess lack of response to a simple, direct question is a response in itself.
    Hey, look who posted the same time as me!

:dog:

Speaking of WWII, has anyone here visited the Anne Frank "house" in Amsterdam?
  • I have not been to Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam but I'd like to go. I have been to the beaches and cemeteries of Normandy. Talk about being humbled.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Very well-stated, deadend.
    ELITIST FUK
    OP, sorry the thread got a little off hand for a moment. The thoughts and questions you raise are often things I think about as well. Why the world is still full of people who are bound by greed, militance, self-absorption, & self-righteousness is beyond me. By expressing your thoughts, I understand you may not necessarily be looking for answers. But expression and wonder are great ways to find others who question the same things.

Perhaps we'll never know the answers. But it is always good to raise the questions. And you'll be met with resistance, but don't let that deter you.

Sometimes I wonder if people really believe some of the things they say and do. Not just on a silly little band forum, but all over the world. It's really scary if they do because those types of people - the contrarions, trolls, etc - are the obstructors of progress. But the fact there are people like you in the world who question these types of people and their actions means there is always hope for the better!

Dignin, you make a very excellent point about wealth & power being the reasons for war and the use of religion & nationalism as a veil to justify the those reasons. I think a lot of us get caught up in the religion=war argument but I'm having a hard time buying that as well. The few religions I have any knowledge of all have messages of peace and selflessness, which are the opposite of war, power, & negative influence. I believe you are onto something here and it makes for great discussion.
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    There's too much to comment on in this thread. OP, Band of Brothers is one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. And how do you even think about talking about war - it's such a vast, unexplainable thing. I'm reading a book called KL: A History of Nazi Concentration Camps and it's great, but really difficult reading.

My dad fought in WWII. That really happened, btw. He was in the Pacific prepping for the invasion of Japan when they dropped the bombs.

This is long, but it's part of a letter from my dad to his mom, dated April 27, 1945. He's in Manila.

"The trip to the city was enlightening in as much as it gave me a first hand picture of the destruction wrought thru total war. You’ll never have the real picture until you’re actually in the midst of it. It’s a god damn mess that hurts and then makes you mad. Try to picture the block of the Schenley Apartments [where his family lived in Pittsburgh] multiplied by several more blocks just like it, a mass of shattered rubble. Sections blasted completely away, others just shells with gaping holes, while in the midst just for incongruity a small Spanish styled residence, walled in and entered thru a wrought iron gate that opens into a lovely patio garden full of luxuriant growth and the usual naked babies which would have been squirting water if the city water system had been running, scattered thru it. All of this was untouched except for one hole in the wall. To the right as you entered was the resident itself while on the other side of the patio were the stables. One of our platoon CPs was housed there – the EM [enlisted men?] quartered in the stalls – tiled with oaken, hand carved swinging doors, while the officers were upstairs in the servants’ quarters – tiled, fresh toilet, etc. The servants’ kitchen served as a message center and switchboard set up. God makes us thankful for little things."

• Did this even happen?

Yes, WWII happened.
    Yes, the Holocaust happened.
    Yes, Easy Company was a real batallion.
    Yes, I believe OP watching Band of Brothers & The Pacific happened.
    Yes, this thread happened.

All clear, now?
    Thanks. You answered my question.
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    hedonist said:

My husband went to the Anne Frank house. He was a 20 year old smartass college boy hanging out in Europe and he said he was completely undone by the experience. He still talks about how shocking and sad it is.
    Enkidu said:

hedonist said:

My husband went to the Anne Frank house. He was a 20 year old smartass college boy hanging out in Europe and he said he was completely undone by the experience. He still talks about how shocking and sad it is.
    That's how I felt too (was a 23-year-old smartass myself). To be there, in that space?

Swear the energy remains, in some way.

Well hell. Words flood me, and none suffice.