Options

Refugee crisis

Comments

• Options
    And no one has a thing to say about the guy trying to donate food yet is straight up robbed. Figures.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited September 2015

And no one has a thing to say about the guy trying to donate food yet is straight up robbed. Figures.

What's the relevance? What is your conclusion?
    I suppose you think the world should be good Christians like Kim Davis right?
    Turn the other cheek and be charitable. WWKDD?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Don't know the story but if it happened, that sucks. Can't imagine how desperate one has to be to do that. I've never been in that position before. The thieves could've just been some regular everyday assholes. Whatever the reason, it sucks. But let me flip this to you since you believe in the secret hidden hand. Do you think it's possible that maybe someone did that on purpose to scare the people into NOT helping the refugees. Like maybe it's an "inside job"? Possibly?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    rgambs said:

What's the relevance? What is your conclusion?
    I suppose you think the world should be good Christians like Kim Davis right?
    Turn the other cheek and be charitable. WWKDD?
    Here is the video: http://buzzmister.com/man-tries-to-give-to-refugees-and-gets-robbed/

Just a guess, but judging from the "figures" part, I feel like JAG is trying to demonstrate that our compassion is misguided??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JUST A GIRLJUST A GIRL Posts: 372
    edited September 2015
    I made this post days ago. In reference to what I said about the lady with the banana basket. No one said anything because it made my last comment make sense.

"This just proves what I meant last time. Can't even donate before being robbed. That's what I said I hoped didn't happen to the other reporter but noooo, that would never happen, right?

https://m.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/3kbeht/man_tries_to_donate_food_but_bag_gets_stolen/. "
    Post edited by JUST A GIRL on
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited September 2015
    Home, by Warsan Shire (Kenyan born Somali British poet)

no one leaves home unless
    home is the mouth of a shark
    you only run for the border
    when you see the whole city running as well
    your neighbors running faster than you
    breath bloody in their throats
    the boy you went to school with
    who kissed you dizzy behind the old tin factory
    is holding a gun bigger than his body
    you only leave home
    when home won’t let you stay.

no one leaves home unless home chases you
    fire under feet
    hot blood in your belly
    it’s not something you ever thought of doing
    until the blade burnt threats into
    your neck
    and even then you carried the anthem under
    your breath
    only tearing up your passport in an airport toilets
    sobbing as each mouthful of paper
    made it clear that you wouldn’t be going back.

you have to understand,
    that no one puts their children in a boat
    unless the water is safer than the land
    no one burns their palms
    under trains
    beneath carriages
    no one spends days and nights in the stomach of a truck
    feeding on newspaper unless the miles travelled
    means something more than journey.
    no one crawls under fences
    no one wants to be beaten
    pitied

no one chooses refugee camps
    or strip searches where your
    body is left aching
    or prison,
    because prison is safer
    than a city of fire
    and one prison guard
    in the night
    is better than a truckload
    of men who look like your father
    no one could take it
    no one could stomach it
    no one skin would be tough enough

the
    go home blacks
    refugees
    dirty immigrants
    asylum seekers
    sucking our country dry
    niggers with their hands out
    they smell strange
    savage
    messed up their country and now they want
    to mess ours up
    how do the words
    the dirty looks
    roll off your backs
    maybe because the blow is softer
    than a limb torn off

or the words are more tender
    than fourteen men between
    your legs
    or the insults are easier
    to swallow
    than rubble
    than bone
    than your child body
    in pieces.
    i want to go home,
    but home is the mouth of a shark
    home is the barrel of the gun
    and no one would leave home
    unless home chased you to the shore
    unless home told you
    to quicken your legs
    leave your clothes behind
    crawl through the desert
    wade through the oceans
    drown
    save
    be hunger
    beg
    forget pride
    your survival is more important

no one leaves home until home is a sweaty voice in your ear
    saying-
    leave,
    run away from me now
    i dont know what i’ve become
    but i know that anywhere
    is safer than here

http://www.commondreams.org/further/2015/09/04/no-one-leaves-home-unless-home-mouth-shark
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options

I made this post days ago. In reference to what I said about the lady with the banana basket. No one said anything because it made my last comment make sense.

"This just proves what I meant last time. Can't even donate before being robbed. That's what I said I hoped didn't happen to the other reporter but noooo, that would never happen, right?

https://m.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/3kbeht/man_tries_to_donate_food_but_bag_gets_stolen/. "

So, as someone who claims to take their Christianity very seriously, What do you think should be done?
    Help, because Jesus said so, or not help because they are evil Muslims who will rob you?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    chime - thank you for posting that. It affected me.
  • Options
    benjs said:

Kyle, I assume your finger pointing comment is in regards to mine... Let me be clear: you've always been able to point a finger to explain a situation, AS WELL as how it pertains to how a people or government should or shouldn't behave. My issue is with people who leave this as a point of discussion, and don't actually relate it to what should be done. If recognizing fault is a premise to be used to justify an action or inaction, and that action or inaction is mentioned, then it's absolutely worth posting. It's America's fault is a poor statement without a "therefore" at the end.

Hey Ben, thanks for the clarification. I hadn't really talked about solutions when you posted that reply, so it applied to me as well...i didn't address my post to you because I agreed with you and didn't want it to appear I was challenging you - I was just looking to expand (and gawdamn did I! Haha) on my previous thoughts. I get tired of being accused of hating the U.S by small minded nationalists. I love a lot of people and places south of the border, and as much as some people may hate to admit it; culturally we are as similar as any two nations In the world. When I criticize the U.S., I am almost always criticizing Canada and our traditional allies as well. People need to keep that in mind.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    For every story of someone getting robbed by the refugees there is a story of someone helping grateful refugees. That's just humanity. There's terrible people everywhere and in every situation. Also there's bound to be some trust issues on the refugees side too.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    badbrains said:

Don't know the story but if it happened, that sucks. Can't imagine how desperate one has to be to do that. I've never been in that position before. The thieves could've just been some regular everyday assholes. Whatever the reason, it sucks. But let me flip this to you since you believe in the secret hidden hand. Do you think it's possible that maybe someone did that on purpose to scare the people into NOT helping the refugees. Like maybe it's an "inside job"? Possibly?
    probably a james o'keefe special.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    calls are being made in st louis to take in and re-settle 60,000 syrian refugees.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/14/st-louis-missouri-syrian-refugees
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

badbrains said:

probably a james o'keefe special.
    They were children, btw, from what i saw in the video. The robbers were excited children in a fucked up situation.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited September 2015
    Wow, way to go Google

They will match your donation until they reach 10 million

https://onetoday.google.com/page/refugeerelief?c=CA
  • Options
    JUST A GIRLJUST A GIRL Posts: 372
    edited September 2015
    Hungary has the right idea. Beat them back until they leave.

Everyone will hate me for saying that, but when it's your town you just may agree.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/17/hungary-refugees-ban-ki-moon-eu-serbia

http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=ab4_1442363414
    Post edited by JUST A GIRL on
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Everyone will hate me for saying that, but when it's your town you just may agree.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/17/hungary-refugees-ban-ki-moon-eu-serbia

You talk all this shit about the new world order and bohemian grove. Beat them back? That's real Christian of you. Jesus DIDNT die for your sins. He'd be embarrassed about how you feel about "beating them back until they leave."
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    I don't know why I keep opening this thread. All it does is upset me. The US should be taking in hundreds of thousands of refugees. You know how big this country is? We got sooooooooooooooo much space. The only problem is we can't just dump them in a field in Kansas because they need support, education, etc. and putting them in a homogenous community isn't going to help anyone. Personally, I hope some of them come to Queens. I want to try Syrian food.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    ldent42 said:

I don't know why I keep opening this thread. All it does is upset me. The US should be taking in hundreds of thousands of refugees. You know how big this country is? We got sooooooooooooooo much space. The only problem is we can't just dump them in a field in Kansas because they need support, education, etc. and putting them in a homogenous community isn't going to help anyone. Personally, I hope some of them come to Queens. I want to try Syrian food.

I agree more with this train of thought. Even if we could get them here, where would you put them? Downtown Chicago? In Kansas? What about Detroit?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

ldent42 said:

I agree more with this train of thought. Even if we could get them here, where would you put them? Downtown Chicago? In Kansas? What about Detroit?
    They could be located all over. All it would take is some administration and money on the part of the government, and they could locate them where they could find jobs (the government could even help with that - offer initiatives for companies to hire them perhaps), and cooperate with the local governments to locate affordable housing for them. It would take man power - an actual targeted effort - but it's entirely possible. There just needs to be the will to do it.
  • Options

ldent42 said:

I would avoid Kansas (by Kansas I literally just mean empty space not actually Kansas) because it makes me think of the Indian Reservations and we all know how well those went. I don't want to advocate for a refugee community a la the res or even like Amish/Mennonite communities. I support integration, but more in the vein of what I'm used to - meaning I look forward to some portion of the city becoming a "little Syria" the way we have Chinatown, Little Italy, Little Egypt, etc. If you take every major and secondary city and put a few thousand in each one it'll even out pretty well. I like what Gimme was posting about St. Louis. I think that people could do demonstrations like that to convince politicians that we welcome them here, and go based on that. So like STL, NY, Chicago, LA, but then also like Austin and Minneapolis and like Knoxville or Nashville or whatever. Detroit I think should take in a buttload along with a big ole bag of federal money for doing so. The problem is I don't want to advocate dumping them in a situation where they fall into a culture of poverty. So for cities like Detroit and Baltimore which are struggling, they should get a bunch of money from the feds and use it for capital improvements plus taking in refugees. So they take in refugees, they get money to fix some schools. The refugees get jobs in the construction (or whatever) and then the kids get to go to a fixed up school. The roads get fixed up. The parks get fixed up. Jobs get created violence and crimes go down. That's kind of how I'm thinking

Obviously I havent done a lot of thinking but that's like a baseline.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

They could be located all over. All it would take is some administration and money on the part of the government, and they could locate them where they could find jobs (the government could even help with that - offer initiatives for companies to hire them perhaps), and cooperate with the local governments to locate affordable housing for them. It would take man power - an actual targeted effort - but it's entirely possible. There just needs to be the will to do it.
    How convenient. What's the national unemployment rate? Let's just bring in 10,000 refugees and give them jobs that unemployed Americans could have.
  • Options

http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=ab4_1442363414

How very Christ-like of you.
    So you use Christianity to deny rights to people, even though Christ said nothing about homosexual relations, and you say "beat them back" even though Christ said pages of material on charity for the people who suffer such as these people are suffering.
    And then you whine that people are insulting your religion?

If this isn't trolling it is lunacy.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    DO NOT focus comments on the person posting...post a rebuttal or agreement with the comment(s). STOP the personal comments please. Review the Posting Guidelines if you plan on posting here. Some comments have been removed.
    Admin
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

How convenient. What's the national unemployment rate? Let's just bring in 10,000 refugees and give them jobs that unemployed Americans could have.
    I think doing something about all the jobs being sent overseas is a bigger issue in that context, no? Yeah, obviously there are people in the US who could also be given jobs. I'm just saying what could be done. The other option is to throw more money at it, and simply let them fend for themselves while living on government handouts. Either way, it would be a humanitarian aid initiative, and yeah, that's separate from what's going on with other Americans. Whatcha gonna do? Anyway, it wouldn't be 10,000 jobs. It would much less, and then spaces in schools would need to be found for all the kids.
  • Options
    Also not all of the refugees are unskilled workers.
  • Options
    And how much would it cost to get the refugees here, house them, give them health care, and make sure they are fed? You're talking about hundreds of millions. You don't think that money could be better spent
  • Options
    I think there is more than enough money in this country to pay for it.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Where? Have you seen what the national debt is up to?
  • Options

ldent42 said:

Where? Have you seen what the national debt is up to?
    Ask the MIC or Israel. We give them plenty every year.