Options

Refugee crisis

Comments

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

is there any money given to the US in times of need by other countries ? serious question, I've never heard of any....maybe Japan ?

Godfather.

Dude I thought the same exact thing!!
    When could the US not afford something themselves if they wanted to? If you feel the US or American citizens have been in need, it's because your own government don't deem it necessary to help with money that it has. They spent it on the military instead.
    However, FYI, I know that Canadians have sent TONS of aid during American disasters, both in the form of civilian donations and social services such as search and rescue crews. Not to mention putting up tens of thousands of you when they were stuck in Canada after 9/11.
    I d love for you to compare the aid we send internationally against what Canada sends.
    And i don't want to get into a pissing contest because I m totally in love with everything Canada and thank everything they have done for us but damn pjsoul your post was so damn pompous.
    Pompous seems unfair, she was merely answering the question asked and pointing out that Canada have given aid
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015

<
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

PJ_Soul said:

Let's try again! :lol:

Somehow it's just not the same now.... but I'll try.

The mayor of Vancouver (Gregor Robertson... he's totally and madly obsessed with bike lanes, but I'll give him some credit today) held a town hall meeting so that people could come and discuss what the real options are for those who want to help the refugees, how much it can cost, what it would take, what hoops have to be jumped through, etc. Very good idea I thought. If every mayor of every major city in North America did the same thing, that would probably be very helpful.

They do sometimes. It's fun, I've been to a few.

I don't understand why everyone's expected to allow them in with open arms. We've all seen the rise in violence due to the influx of illegal immigrants in Texas and New Mexico, we all support building a fence to properly screen and validate every person crossing the border, yet when it happens in a third world country, where violence runs rampant, it's expected to be allowed? Shouldn't it be more restricted and validated even more so there?

I don't blame the countries for building fences around their points of entry. I would lay out row after row of barbed wire.

Ask your self honestly if you would be ok with suddenly 100s of Iraqie immigrants living on the same road as your home, living in the yards, bathing and using the rest room in your drive way. I doubt you would be so welcoming after a very short amount of time.

We all want to pretend we would help, but I think deep down we know the truth. At least I'm honest about it. Unlike 99.9% of the rest of the world who doesn't want to "offend" anyone!
    Come on man, you are looking for honesty and reality on here??
    callen said:

Yeah Dimi it sucks. Greece should be helped financially.

I agree, financial assistance is in order. Thank GOD for big deep Oceans
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Just discovered that Israel is the top recipient of US aid, eeek
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,599
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,962

Just discovered that Israel is the top recipient of US aid, eeek

Been like that for decades. Check out the aid we send to Pakistan, the hiding spot for bin laden.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited December 2015

is there any money given to the US in times of need by other countries ? serious question, I've never heard of any....maybe Japan ?

Godfather.

I didn't say US specifically but here we have Greece struggling financially and they are paying the price by getting all the Syrian refugees.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,682
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Godfather.

Dude I thought the same exact thing!!
    When could the US not afford something themselves if they wanted to? If you feel the US or American citizens have been in need, it's because your own government don't deem it necessary to help with money that it has. They spent it on the military instead.
    However, FYI, I know that Canadians have sent TONS of aid during American disasters, both in the form of civilian donations and social services such as search and rescue crews. Not to mention putting up tens of thousands of you when they were stuck in Canada after 9/11.
    I d love for you to compare the aid we send internationally against what Canada sends.
    And i don't want to get into a pissing contest because I m totally in love with everything Canada and thank everything they have done for us but damn pjsoul your post was so damn pompous.
    If you think that then you are misinterpreting the point I was trying to make.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    This makes me proud.

Canada’s Warm Embrace of Refugees

The simple but powerful words with which Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada greeted the first group of Syrians resettled under an expedited program stood in sharp contrast to the misery and monumental injustice the earlier images represent.

“You are home,” he said when the refugees disembarked in Toronto on Thursday after a 16-hour flight from Beirut. To a man holding a toddler wearing a headband with flowers, he repeated the sentiment: “Welcome to your new home.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/12/opinion/canadas-warm-embrace-of-refugees.html
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,022

Godfather.

In short ,yes
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    mickeyrat said:

Godfather.

In short ,yes
    I'm not doubting that at all I'm just curious from who ?

Godfather.

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Before the world went mad
    http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/dr-bill-podlich-afghanistan-pre-taliban

Surprised that there's an open "refugee crisis" thread.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    ldent42 said:

Before the world went mad
    http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/dr-bill-podlich-afghanistan-pre-taliban

Surprised that there's an open "refugee crisis" thread.

There are some very pretty places over there that I will never be able to visit during my lifetime as it stands.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Iran and Iraq too. It's sad.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,989
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited January 2016
    My country is not so nice as it was about 20 years ago I wouldn't recommend coming here. We have for example people sitting and begging for money outside all stores and in every street corner. They have travelled here from poor parts of Europe just to sit and beg, it's very tragic.
    Another horrible thing that has happenend over here was when Abraham Ukbakabir 36 yrs old from Eritrea murdered two innocent people in an IKEA store, a mom and her son it was because he was disappointed about the rejection he had gotten on his asylum application.

Maybe I shouldn't bring up stories like this, but I can't help getting angry.
    I still think it's right to give asylum to refugees that really needs it but not more than a country can do in a good way both for the sake of people living here already and the people arriving.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Annafalk said:

My country is not so nice as it was about 20 years ago I wouldn't recommend coming here. We have for example people sitting and begging for money outside all stores and in every street corner. They have travelled here from poor parts of Europe just to sit and beg, it's very tragic.
    Another horrible thing that has happenend over here was when Abraham Ukbakabir 36 yrs old from Eritrea murdered two innocent people in an IKEA store, a mom and her son it was because he was disappointed about the rejection he had gotten on his asylum application.

I still think it's right to give asylum to refugees that really needs it but not more than a country can do in a good way both for the sake of people living here already and the people arriving.
    Sounds like a normal Tuesday afternoon state of affairs for most of the world.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Anna,what you guys are dealing with is the whole assimilation elephant in the room that most open all door refugee supporters tend to neglect when saying take em all in.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Anna,what you guys are dealing with is the whole assimilation elephant in the room that most open all door refugee supporters tend to neglect when saying take em all in.

Agreed, our politicians has woken up far too late.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,682
    rr165892 said:

Assimilation doesn't work. Integration should be the goal, and it's not easy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    PJ_Soul said:

rr165892 said:

Assimilation doesn't work. Integration should be the goal, and it's not easy.
    Agreed,but your not going to get that many integrated with out a certain amount of assimilating to the culture and lifestyle of the host country.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Annafalk said:

You're not saying that because this is a typical Tuesday in many shit countries... your country shouldn't expect any better are you? In other words... other people deal with f**ked up people so why shouldn't you?

These stories presented are the items used to counter pro immigration arguments. They are definitely worth considering.

I'm all for Canada allowing access to any suitable person wishing to come to Canada and be a Canadian. If somebody wishes to immigrate to Canada, but live like a martian as they did in martianville... stay in martianville and be a martian.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,989

rgambs said:

Annafalk said:

You're not saying that because this is a typical Tuesday in many shit countries... your country shouldn't expect any better are you? In other words... other people deal with f**ked up people so why shouldn't you?

These stories presented are the items used to counter pro immigration arguments. They are definitely worth considering.

I'm all for Canada allowing access to any suitable person wishing to come to Canada and be a Canadian. If somebody wishes to immigrate to Canada, but live like a martian as they did in martianville... stay in martianville and be a martian.
    This.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

Annafalk said:

No, I was only trying to make the point that there is violence everywhere, and while Sweden may have been a virtual paradise for a while, I doubt it's become the kind of place that shouldn't be recommended for travel.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    And begs the question: why no longer a 'virtual paradise'? What happened?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,707
    Annafalk said:

You may not recommend coming to Sweden, but seriously, all of the Scandinavian countries have a great reputation for awesomeness, and I'd love to visit them all, despite any Ikea stabber.
  • Options

Annafalk said:

You may not recommend coming to Sweden, but seriously, all of the Scandinavian countries have a great reputation for awesomeness, and I'd love to visit them all, despite any Ikea stabber.
    Hello Go Beavers, that's very nice to hear :) I hope you will some day!, Norway has beautiful fjords and most people in Scandinavia speaks English.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

rgambs said:

Annafalk said:

Exactly, and yes we should still help people.
    Post edited by Annafalk on