edited September 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I posted the same article in another thread:
    hmmmmmmm.......
    SHOCK: AS AMERICANS BOUGHT 170 MILLION GUNS, VIOLENT CRIME FELL 51%
    by AWR HAWKINS31 Aug 2015
    On August 28, the NRA presented ATF and FBI data showing Americans have purchased “170 million new guns” since 1991, and violent crime has fallen “51 percent.”

The NRA tweeted, “Since ’91, Americans have acquired over 170 million new firearms and violent crimes have declined by 51%.”

This information squares with the findings of a Congressional Research Service (CRS) study covering the slightly shorter period of time from 1994 to 2009. For those years, CRS found that Americans purchased approximately 118 million firearms, and the 1993 “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide” rate of 6.6 per 100,000 fell to 3.6 per 100,000 by the year 2000. It eventually fell all the way to 3.2 per 100,000 in 2011.

That is more than a 50 percent reduction in “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide.”

Then, in 2009—the year the CRS study ended—Obama took office and gun sales began their climb to record levels, which made covering the gap between the 118 million guns that had been purchased by 2009 and the “170 million new guns” that Americans would own by 2015 an easy gap to bridge.

Breitbart News previously reported that there were 21,093,273 background checks for firearms in 2013 alone. And each of those checks were on buyers who could have legally purchased multiple firearms.

The overarching message is simple—more guns, less crime. Americans have purchased “170 million new guns” since 1991, and violent crime has decreased as gun ownership has increased.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.

Wow. More guns equals less crime. What a concept. I wonder why the government doesn't pass out free guns to everybody if more guns actually means less crime.
    Why do you dispute every single piece of evidence that is presented to you? You have the ex wife syndrome again.
    I dispute it because the numbers are not relative. If crime has been down since 2007, should we correlate that to smart phones? Or maybe it's the popularity of Breaking Bad? Perhaps it's the dominance the NFC had over the AFC in the 90s?

By the way, I'm not disputed every single piece of evidence. I'm disputing the authors premise of more guns equals less crime.
    so you aren't disputing the numbers but the authors opinion? way to bring up only one sentence from the article and not the numbers that prove that even though there's more guns in america, crime went down for that time period.
    I do not dispute numbers. They are probably correct. I don't try and decipher context in these articles because data can be interpreted any way you want them to read. I dispute the notion that more guns equals less crime. That one sentence is the premise of the entire article.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    but you are always saying we have too many guns. no one should have military "type" weapons. too many guns. too many guns. no high capacity clips. too many guns. more guns equal more crime. too many guns. ak 47's, ar15's, banned. banned.
    main topic of the article: Since ’91, Americans have acquired over 170 million new firearms and violent crimes have declined by 51%.”
    you draw your own conclusion from that but like i've said a thousand times, the very very very very few psychopath irresponsible assholes have ruined it for the one hundred million americans that own firearms legally and treat them with respect and are responsible with them.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    And I am of the opinion that this country has never had any form of true gun control. Take away the military grade weapons from civilians. Take away guns that fire X amount t of round d per minute. Include comprehensive background checks that actually look for mental instability or patterns for red flags. A heavy tax on ammo. Registration of all firearms.

I'm not saying take guns you currently own away. Just of you currently do not own that particular gun, then you can't get them after this legislation has passed. And that every time you want to buy a gun, you have to go through the process again

If we actually tried that for a decade and the numbers don't drastically change, then we tried, and it failed. Why are some so afraid of this?
  • Options
    chime said:

Coming from a country where the majority of our police force don't carry guns you can imagine which side of the debate I'm on.

I did spend a year living in the US (Indiana) and the attitude to guns was so alien to me. I had never seen a gun and have no desire to ever hold one.

Anyway I caught this documentary this weekend http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/requiem-for-the-dead-american-spring-2014/synopsis.html

"More than 32,000 people die from gun violence every year in America, an average of 88 people per day. REQUIEM FOR THE DEAD: AMERICAN SPRING 2014 highlights a few of the estimated 8,000 individuals who died from gunfire that spring, drawing exclusively on found media – news accounts, police investigations and social media – to shine a light on little-known stories of tragic loss, bringing the victims to life in their own words and images.

From a Facebook status update to a post on Instagram, from a newspaper headline to on-the-scene video, REQUIEM FOR THE DEAD details victims’ lives in the moments leading up to the shootings and shows how each death reverberates in the lives of others."

These were spouses who were asked for a divorce and then committed murder/suicide (one killing his wife and himself, one killing his wife, kids and himself), siblings killing siblings (12 killing a 16 year old and I think 15/16 killing an 18 year old ... on purpose), as well as a 12 year old accidentally killing a friend, one a gentleman who accidentally discharged him weapon and it traveled across his home and hit his wife who was sitting in another room etc. These weren't illegal firearms. These weren't (until the incident in question) criminals. Most would likely have passed mental health checks. Mental health isn't a constant ...

I'm from Indiana and can tell you that Indiana is one of the most pro gun states in the country. I'm interested what experiences you had with guns while you were here. Good and bad.
  • Options

chime said:

Coming from a country where the majority of our police force don't carry guns you can imagine which side of the debate I'm on.

I did spend a year living in the US (Indiana) and the attitude to guns was so alien to me. I had never seen a gun and have no desire to ever hold one.

Anyway I caught this documentary this weekend http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/requiem-for-the-dead-american-spring-2014/synopsis.html

"More than 32,000 people die from gun violence every year in America, an average of 88 people per day. REQUIEM FOR THE DEAD: AMERICAN SPRING 2014 highlights a few of the estimated 8,000 individuals who died from gunfire that spring, drawing exclusively on found media – news accounts, police investigations and social media – to shine a light on little-known stories of tragic loss, bringing the victims to life in their own words and images.

From a Facebook status update to a post on Instagram, from a newspaper headline to on-the-scene video, REQUIEM FOR THE DEAD details victims’ lives in the moments leading up to the shootings and shows how each death reverberates in the lives of others."

These were spouses who were asked for a divorce and then committed murder/suicide (one killing his wife and himself, one killing his wife, kids and himself), siblings killing siblings (12 killing a 16 year old and I think 15/16 killing an 18 year old ... on purpose), as well as a 12 year old accidentally killing a friend, one a gentleman who accidentally discharged him weapon and it traveled across his home and hit his wife who was sitting in another room etc. These weren't illegal firearms. These weren't (until the incident in question) criminals. Most would likely have passed mental health checks. Mental health isn't a constant ...

I'm from Indiana and can tell you that Indiana is one of the most pro gun states in the country. I'm interested what experiences you had with guns while you were here. Good and bad.
    I know you weren't asking me, but I lived in new indiana for 20 years. Guns were everywhere. My brother has a reloading tool to reload shotgun shells. Everyone around me hunted, owned guns, and bought more guns. We lived in a small town and had 3 gun ranges. Plus we lived in what could be described as a 3 county corn/wheat/bean fields. There was always a place to shoot guns. Personally, I had zero interactions with the weapons. I never felt the needs to go shoot I g when my friends went. I do know 4 people that were shot. 3 were killed and one wounded.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,988

And I am of the opinion that this country has never had any form of true gun control. Take away the military grade weapons from civilians. Take away guns that fire X amount t of round d per minute. Include comprehensive background checks that actually look for mental instability or patterns for red flags. A heavy tax on ammo. Registration of all firearms.

I'm not saying take guns you currently own away. Just of you currently do not own that particular gun, then you can't get them after this legislation has passed. And that every time you want to buy a gun, you have to go through the process again

If we actually tried that for a decade and the numbers don't drastically change, then we tried, and it failed. Why are some so afraid of this?

You know, these "military-grade weapons" are only used in about .5% of shooting incidents. They are definitely something worth banning. (Rolls eyes.)

The "heavy tax on ammo" will only really have an effect on poor people. Yeah, that seems fair. Poor people's lives are worth less than everyone else's.

Registration of all firearms was a really popular idea in Germany in the 1930's, too.

I agree that we could definitely improve the current NICS protocol though.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    It's idiotic to keep comparing Nazi Germany to the United states. And many handguns could fall into the military grade weapons. Why so fear full of trying that kind of policy? Give it 6 or 7 years so real data can be analyzed and go from there.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

It's idiotic to keep comparing Nazi Germany to the United states. And many handguns could fall into the military grade weapons. Why so fear full of trying that kind of policy? Give it 6 or 7 years so real data can be analyzed and go from there.

because you are banning guns! it's beyond obvious that you have no clue what you are talking about when we are discussing firearms. my 12 gauge shotgun...used by the military. my ww2 rifles...used by the military. my ar15...used by the military. my 9mm...they use that caliber in the military.
    all guns can technically be used by the military. my .308 bolt action rifle...used by the military. where does it stop?
    what is a high capacity clip according to you? more than five rounds? ten? 20?
    I get that you have a complete disdain for guns but in order to have any sort of discussion you have to be open minded. However you are not accepting of any statistical evidence, constitutional rights or supreme court decisions supporting gun rights.
    a heavy tax on ammo? why? so i have to pay for more to go to the range and shoot because some asshole broke the law? that's like saying one of my students was on an inappropriate site on the computer so my my entire district is going to ban computer use in the classroom.

like i said, ex wife syndrome.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    I think the question was why are you pro gun people so afraid of trying something new. What's happening now isn't working.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options

Remember the Clinton-era "assault weapons ban"? It outlawed high capacity magazines and so-called "assault weapons". There is a reason it was allowed to expire. That 10 year gun control policy didn't accomplish anything.

I want to know also: Why are you so willing to forfeit any right granted to you by our government?
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited September 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......
    On August 28, the NRA presented ATF and FBI data showing Americans have purchased “170 million new guns” since 1991, and violent crime has fallen “51 percent.”

The NRA tweeted, “Since ’91, Americans have acquired over 170 million new firearms and violent crimes have declined by 51%.”

I think violence in the West as a whole has gone down over this period. So I don't think the correlation is necessarily true

eg The Crime Survey for England and Wales continues to show steady declines in violent crime over the last 20 years. Between the 1995 and the 2013/14 surveys, the number of violent crime incidents has fallen from 3.8 million in 1995 to 1.3 million in 2013/14 ... so pretty much a 2/3 drop.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/crime-statistics/focus-on-violent-crime-and-sexual-offences--2013-14/index.html
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    So as I see it you pro gunners see no reason to put any more restrictions On the sales of any weapons , damn talk about living in the past when will you say enough is enough after how many more dead ...I say fuck you and your guns .....because as I see it that's exactly what you pro gunners are saying to us fuck you & more regulations ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

because you are banning guns! it's beyond obvious that you have no clue what you are talking about when we are discussing firearms. my 12 gauge shotgun...used by the military. my ww2 rifles...used by the military. my ar15...used by the military. my 9mm...they use that caliber in the military.
    all guns can technically be used by the military. my .308 bolt action rifle...used by the military. where does it stop?
    what is a high capacity clip according to you? more than five rounds? ten? 20?
    I get that you have a complete disdain for guns but in order to have any sort of discussion you have to be open minded. However you are not accepting of any statistical evidence, constitutional rights or supreme court decisions supporting gun rights.
    a heavy tax on ammo? why? so i have to pay for more to go to the range and shoot because some asshole broke the law? that's like saying one of my students was on an inappropriate site on the computer so my my entire district is going to ban computer use in the classroom.

like i said, ex wife syndrome.
    I'm not being open minded? What else can be done? This country has tried almost everything under the sun except true gun control. Nobody is taking away your guns. I just want them registered. So that we can actually see how many "responsible" gun owners we actually have in this country. You're blinded by your "rights." It's always the idiocy of a few that makes it difficult the rest.
  • Options

So as I see it you pro gunners see no reason to put any more restrictions On the sales of any weapons , damn talk about living in the past when will you say enough is enough after how many more dead ...I say fuck you and your guns .....because as I see it that's exactly what you pro gunners are saying to us fuck you & more regulations ....

I'm pretty sure that mcgruff and I are both in support of gun reform. However, bans, registration and taxes on ammunition are not the miracle solution you expect them to be.

The second part of your post is very eloquent, too. Classy.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    dudeman said:

I'm pretty sure that mcgruff and I are both in support of gun reform. However, bans, registration and taxes on ammunition are not the miracle solution you expect them to be.

Apologies if you've already addressed but you good with gun registration and bullet scoring profiles on record?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

dudeman said:

Apologies if you've already addressed but you good with gun registration and bullet scoring profiles on record?
    i'm fine with gun registration and bullet scoring profiles (meaning they take one shot with your weapon and send the ballistics to the fbi? correct?)
    if so we already do both of these in new jersey.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

dudeman said:

i'm fine with gun registration and bullet scoring profiles (meaning they take one shot with your weapon and send the ballistics to the fbi? correct?)
    Yeah not familiar with official name of process.

Well this may be the ticket then. Owners responsible and able to trace. Keep rights to protect and hunt.

Now to get this done.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

dudeman said:

Well this may be the ticket then. Owners responsible and able to trace. Keep rights to protect and hunt.

Now to get this done.
    I definitely think it s needed in all 50 states. Tough to get it done with the gop controllig congress.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,936
    mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

dudeman said:

Now to get this done.
    I definitely think it s needed in all 50 states. Tough to get it done with the NRA controllig congress.
    Fixed that for you.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

dudeman said:

Now to get this done.
    I definitely think it s needed in all 50 states. Tough to get it done with the NRA controllig congress.
    Fixed that for you.
    the nra obviously has a huge influence in congress but if people were that fed up with gun violence or lack of gun laws these republicans would have been voted out of office a long time ago. especially after the newtown tragedy. if it didn't change after that then I feel that nothing on the federal level will ever.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

dudeman said:

Now to get this done.
    Fixed that for you.
    the nra obviously has a huge influence in congress but if people were that fed up with gun violence or lack of gun laws these republicans would have been voted out of office a long time ago. especially after the newtown tragedy. if it didn't change after that then I feel that nothing on the federal level will ever.
    90+% of the public wanted something done. 75+% of NRA members agreed with at least some of it.

Wayne said no. Congress did nothing.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

dudeman said:

Now to get this done.
    Fixed that for you.
    90+% of the public wanted something done. 75+% of NRA members agreed with at least some of it.

Wayne said no. Congress did nothing.
    that's pretty sad. and what's even sadder is during the next election they weren't voted out of office.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......

This information squares with the findings of a Congressional Research Service (CRS) study covering the slightly shorter period of time from 1994 to 2009. For those years, CRS found that Americans purchased approximately 118 million firearms, and the 1993 “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide” rate of 6.6 per 100,000 fell to 3.6 per 100,000 by the year 2000. It eventually fell all the way to 3.2 per 100,000 in 2011.

That is more than a 50 percent reduction in “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide.”

Then, in 2009—the year the CRS study ended—Obama took office and gun sales began their climb to record levels, which made covering the gap between the 118 million guns that had been purchased by 2009 and the “170 million new guns” that Americans would own by 2015 an easy gap to bridge.

Breitbart News previously reported that there were 21,093,273 background checks for firearms in 2013 alone. And each of those checks were on buyers who could have legally purchased multiple firearms.

The overarching message is simple—more guns, less crime. Americans have purchased “170 million new guns” since 1991, and violent crime has decreased as gun ownership has increased.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.

"awrhawkins@breitbart.com"

tells me all i need to know to know that this is bullshit.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

I found myself debating this issue with the American actor Mark Pellegrino the other day, which was quite bizarre but when talking about something like this the concept of celebrity is somewhat redundant, he was just another person with strongly held opinions with which I happened to disagree. Anyway, his defence of the right to bear arms is his staunch belief that guns in the right hands (those of responsible law-abiding citizens) are a force for good. For example, he suggested that had such a citizen been present during the cinema shootings fewer people might have died. He gave another example in which someone drove their car into a café in Texas and then started shooting people. Apparently there was a woman in the café who could have stopped him, had she not left her gun in her car. He himself claims to have chased off a robber from his apartment block using his own legally held gun.

Now I'm quite a naive idealist and my general view would be that I'd like to get rid of all guns. I do realise how unrealistic this is though and so it can be quite hard to combat Mark's view that the very fact that this would be impossible is the reason why it's so important for citizens to have the right to arm themselves.

Even if we then say ok we at least need better background checks, we all know that if someone wants a gun they'll find a way to get one. Sure all the kids have to do is take their parents guns, as I believe happened with a number of the school shootings.

So what's the answer???

Registration of all sales with serial # attached (there is a reason guns have them).
    Universal backround checks for all sales.
    Every weapon submits its "fingerprint" which is the bullet fired from it to FBI for cataloging. When that weapon is later used in crime and proven so , that person is held accountable. You no longer own that weapon for whatever reason and not inform authorities? Tough shit. You go to jail too.

parents of kids who steal the parents guns for crime are charged with same charges as kids.

Extensive training for each owner with regular retesting or recertification (thats what "well regulated militia " means in that amendment).

No more ccw "reciprocity" between states. you dont live in my state and want to carry here? Certify here.

Weapons ARE tools. Designed with the intent to cause bodily harm up to and including death. The seriousness of this fact as it applies to wider society far outweighs your haphazard, inapporiate storage and handling if these tools. If you cant show on a regular basis safe practice in all aspects of ownership then buy a bat or other means of protection.
    Had hoped this might garner some kind of comment.

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......

cnn better?
    By CNN Staff
    Gun-related homicides and crime are "strikingly" down from 20 years ago, despite the American public's belief that firearm crime is on the upswing, a new study said Wednesday.

Looking back 50 years, a Pew Research Center study found U.S. gun homicides rose in the 1960s, gained in the 1970s, peaked in the 1980s and the early 1990s, and then plunged and leveled out the past 20 years.

"Despite national attention to the issue of firearm violence, most Americans are unaware that gun crime is lower today than it was two decades ago," the researchers say.

A Pew survey of Americans in March found 56% believed gun-related crime is higher than 20 years ago and only 12% said it's lower. The survey said 26% believed it stayed the same and 6% didn't know.
    The new study found U.S. firearm homicides peaked in 1993 at 7.0 deaths per 100,000 people. But by 2010, the rate was 49% lower, and firearm-related violence -- assaults, robberies, sex crimes -- was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993, the study found.

Those drops parallel an overall decline in violent non-fatal crime, with or without a gun, the study said.

In fact, gun-related homicide rates in the late 2000s were "equal to those not seen since the early 1960s," the study found.

Explanations for the drops the past 20 years aren't clear, the study said.

"Researchers have studied the decline in firearm crime and violent crime for many years, and though there are theories to explain the decline, there is no consensus among those who study the issue as to why it happened," the researchers say in a summary.

Despite the decline, the United States still has a higher rate of homicide than other developed countries, the study says. But America doesn't have a higher rate for all other crimes.

The United States also has a higher rate of gun ownership than any other developed country, the study said.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......

is Harvard bullshit?

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2013/08/30/harvard-gun-study-no-decrease-in-violence-with-ban/
    Harvard Publication On Gun Laws Resurfaces As Talks About Firearms Continue
    A study comparing international gun laws shows that getting rid of firearms might not be the solution to reducing overall violence.

By Steve Annear | Boston Daily | August 30, 2013, 4:17 p.m.

As Boston—and the country as a whole—looks for ways to reduce gun-related deaths and violence, a study from 2007 published in a Harvard University journal is suddenly regaining increased attention for its claims that more control over firearms doesn’t necessarily mean their will be a dip in serious crimes.

In an independent research paper titled “Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?,” first published in Harvard’s Journal of Public Law and Policy, Don B. Kates, a criminologist and constitutional lawyer, and Gary Mauser, Ph.D., a Canadian criminologist and professor at Simon Fraser University, examined the correlation between gun laws and death rates. While not new, as gun debates nationwide heat up, the paper has resurfaced in recent days, specifically with firearm advocates.“International evidence and comparisons have long been offered as proof of the mantra that more guns mean more deaths and that fewer guns, therefore, mean fewer deaths. Unfortunately, such discussions [have] all too often been afflicted by misconceptions and factual error and focus on comparisons that are unrepresentative,” the researchers wrote in their introduction of their findings.

In the 46-page study, which can be read in its entirety here, Kates and Mauser looked at and compared data from the U.S. and parts of Europe to show that stricter laws don’t mean there is less crime. As an example, when looking at “intentional deaths,” or murder, on an international scope, the U.S. falls behind Russia, Estonia, and four other countries, ranking it seventh. More specifically, data shows that in Russia, where guns are banned, the murder rate is significantly higher than in the U.S in comparison. “There is a compound assertion that guns are uniquely available in the United States compared with other modern developed nations, which is why the United States has by far the highest murder rate. Though these assertions have been endlessly repeated, [the latter] is, in fact, false and [the former] is substantially so,” the authors point out, based on their research.

Kates and Mauser clarify that they are not suggesting that gun control causes nations to have higher murder rates, rather, they “observed correlations that nations with stringent gun controls tend to have much higher murder rates than nations that allow guns.”

The study goes on to say:

…the burden of proof rests on the proponents of the more guns equal more death and fewer guns equal less death mantra, especially since they argue public policy ought to be based on that mantra. To bear that burden would at the very least require showing that a large number of nations with more guns have more death and that nations that have imposed stringent gun controls have achieved substantial reductions in criminal violence (or suicide). But those correlations are not observed when a large number of nations are compared across the world.
    But when it comes to examining nations as a whole, the Harvard study suggests otherwise. “If more guns equal more death and fewer guns equal less death, areas within nations with higher gun ownership should in general have more murders than those with less gun ownership in a similar area. But, in fact, the reverse pattern prevails,” the authors wrote.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,840
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......

cnn better?
    By CNN Staff
    Gun-related homicides and crime are "strikingly" down from 20 years ago, despite the American public's belief that firearm crime is on the upswing, a new study said Wednesday.

Looking back 50 years, a Pew Research Center study found U.S. gun homicides rose in the 1960s, gained in the 1970s, peaked in the 1980s and the early 1990s, and then plunged and leveled out the past 20 years.

"Despite national attention to the issue of firearm violence, most Americans are unaware that gun crime is lower today than it was two decades ago," the researchers say.

A Pew survey of Americans in March found 56% believed gun-related crime is higher than 20 years ago and only 12% said it's lower. The survey said 26% believed it stayed the same and 6% didn't know.
    The new study found U.S. firearm homicides peaked in 1993 at 7.0 deaths per 100,000 people. But by 2010, the rate was 49% lower, and firearm-related violence -- assaults, robberies, sex crimes -- was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993, the study found.

Those drops parallel an overall decline in violent non-fatal crime, with or without a gun, the study said.

In fact, gun-related homicide rates in the late 2000s were "equal to those not seen since the early 1960s," the study found.

Explanations for the drops the past 20 years aren't clear, the study said.

"Researchers have studied the decline in firearm crime and violent crime for many years, and though there are theories to explain the decline, there is no consensus among those who study the issue as to why it happened," the researchers say in a summary.

Despite the decline, the United States still has a higher rate of homicide than other developed countries, the study says. But America doesn't have a higher rate for all other crimes.

The United States also has a higher rate of gun ownership than any other developed country, the study said.
    Yes. This is the same point that I and others have made, once you also understand that crime is down in most countries. The last two sentences are also important to keep in mind.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Murder peaked in the 90s? Huh. Right at the height of crack wars. What happened then as a result?

Oh thats right. BAN on uzis. Also a finite ban on "assualt rifles.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    A picture of a dead child has began to mobilize people around the world to the growing humanitarian crisis, maybe the media should highlight mass shooting tragedies ............oh wait.

In all seriousness, with the way things seem to be in the US, there is a section of society who really don't give a shit, and for some reason they have been afforded a forum and are backed by a powerful lobby group.
  • Options
    MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    for anyone with 13 minutes to spare, have a listen:

http://www.todayfm.com/mobile/index.php?id=21048

Pretty much sums things up
This discussion has been closed.