Options

The right to bear arms

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Smellyman said:

I would certainly feel more safe if more people in a bar or theater had guns on them. If they know how to use them and have training than great. Because we all know people are always level headed, never have bad days, don't get bat shit crazy when drunk, have panic attacks or nervous breakdowns, jump to conclusions, mistake phones for guns, aren't racist etc. etc.

People are always good and pleasant until they aren't. The price of freedom is collateral damage. Whatcha gonna do?

Having the ability to easily kill somebody with something in their pocket is necassary and the right of all.

Very true.
    Imagine the chaos that would have ensued in that Florida theater had the ex-cop not shot the man for talking during the movie.
    Saved the day with his gun!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,988
    Smellyman said:

I would certainly feel more safe if more people in a bar or theater had guns on them. If they know how to use them and have training than great. Because we all know people are always level headed, never have bad days, don't get bat shit crazy when drunk, have panic attacks or nervous breakdowns, jump to conclusions, mistake phones for guns, aren't racist etc. etc.

People are always good and pleasant until they aren't. The price of freedom is collateral damage. Whatcha gonna do?

Having the ability to easily kill somebody with something in their pocket is necassary and the right of all.

No, it's not the right of all, it's the right of law-abiding, legal residents. There are definitely people out there that shouldn't even be allowed to look at pictures of guns.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

Smellyman said:

No, it's not the right of all, it's the right of law-abiding, legal residents. There are definitely people out there that shouldn't even be allowed to look at pictures of guns.
    I'd bet the farm that anybody with access to Google could easily find more cases of law abiding legal residents who murdered with guns than law abiding citizens who save the day with guns.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    dudeman said:

brianlux said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

Every gun has a history. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nAfWfF4TjM

This is deplorable to me. These "customers" come into a store seeking a means of protecting themselves and their families, maybe because something terrible happened to someone close to them and the police arrived too late, and they are made to feel guilt and shame for that because of the acts of some crazy assholes.

The callousness that abounds in the world never ceases to amaze and disgust me.
    Are you saying you find the efforts of the people who made this video to be callous? Why instead don't we look at other countries and cultures where gun violence is lower than ours and why the people there don't get this knee jerk paranoia that someone is going kill you if you don't have a gun. The only person I know who was shot a killed is a friend who was shot on the streets of Sacramento so suddenly and unexpectedly that if he had been armed he would have been killed anyway. I'm 64 years old and have lived in many places and known and met many people and yet I've never met anyone who needed to have a gun to save their life. More people with more guns just means more dead people. Americans have such a tunnel vision approach to the problem. I'm glad someone is out there is using this video to help create a new mentality regarding guns. Sorry you were so offended.

Brian, I respect your opinions and I am truly sorry to hear about your friend. I can relate. However, our opinions are partly the product of our life experience and thus are surly going to be varied in myriad ways.

You haven't known anyone that has had to use a firearm to defend themselves or their families but I have. I also have lost friends to murderers. Those friends might still be alive if they had the situational awareness, training and tools to protect themselves.

Choosing to own firearms for protection is a very personal choice, and certainly not one to be taken lightly. I don't disagree that fewer guns equal fewer gun deaths, of course that's true. There are also lots of people out there that should never own guns. Background checks need to be done and the gun show loophole and private sales not being subject to checks is a problem, too.

The comparison to other countries is a good place to start, but consider that the population of the United States is comprised of samples of the population from all of those other countries. None of those other countries have demographics that come close to ours. Think there might be something there?
    So what demographic is causing our problems?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    dudeman said:

Smellyman said:

Amen.

woot
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

This is deplorable to me. These "customers" come into a store seeking a means of protecting themselves and their families, maybe because something terrible happened to someone close to them and the police arrived too late, and they are made to feel guilt and shame for that because of the acts of some crazy assholes.

Well they aren't mentally challenged children dude. They are grown adults who are capable of hearing another side of something and making their own decisions, sheesh. They are every bit as capable as you are of interpreting this information and doing what they think is best.
    I understand that but for the makers of that video to lay the burden of guilt on those unsuspecting people is beyond shitty. Of course, this is my opinion.
    I think your thinking about it is beyond illogical.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    callen said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

Are you saying you find the efforts of the people who made this video to be callous? Why instead don't we look at other countries and cultures where gun violence is lower than ours and why the people there don't get this knee jerk paranoia that someone is going kill you if you don't have a gun. The only person I know who was shot a killed is a friend who was shot on the streets of Sacramento so suddenly and unexpectedly that if he had been armed he would have been killed anyway. I'm 64 years old and have lived in many places and known and met many people and yet I've never met anyone who needed to have a gun to save their life. More people with more guns just means more dead people. Americans have such a tunnel vision approach to the problem. I'm glad someone is out there is using this video to help create a new mentality regarding guns. Sorry you were so offended.

Brian, I respect your opinions and I am truly sorry to hear about your friend. I can relate. However, our opinions are partly the product of our life experience and thus are surly going to be varied in myriad ways.

You haven't known anyone that has had to use a firearm to defend themselves or their families but I have. I also have lost friends to murderers. Those friends might still be alive if they had the situational awareness, training and tools to protect themselves.

Choosing to own firearms for protection is a very personal choice, and certainly not one to be taken lightly. I don't disagree that fewer guns equal fewer gun deaths, of course that's true. There are also lots of people out there that should never own guns. Background checks need to be done and the gun show loophole and private sales not being subject to checks is a problem, too.

The comparison to other countries is a good place to start, but consider that the population of the United States is comprised of samples of the population from all of those other countries. None of those other countries have demographics that come close to ours. Think there might be something there?
    rgambs said:

dudeman said:

Smellyman said:

I'd bet the farm that anybody with access to Google could easily find more cases of law abiding legal residents who murdered with guns than law abiding citizens who save the day with guns.
    If people murder each other, they aren't exactly law-abiding.
  • Options
    callen said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

No one in particular, but all of them in part. It's the confluence of many, many social issues that perpetuate violence. Each demographic plays a role in the total number of gun deaths but the same social problems that affect one group may not necessarily apply to another.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

Well they aren't mentally challenged children dude. They are grown adults who are capable of hearing another side of something and making their own decisions, sheesh. They are every bit as capable as you are of interpreting this information and doing what they think is best.
    I understand that but for the makers of that video to lay the burden of guilt on those unsuspecting people is beyond shitty. Of course, this is my opinion.

You have your opinions and I have mine. We can still be friends, though. Can't we?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

You have your opinions and I have mine. We can still be friends, though. Can't we?
    Of course, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dudeman said:

callen said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

Smellyman said:

Ahhh, but they were when they purchased a gun weren't they? They used a weapon they were within their rights to own to infringe on the rights of others.
    It's a big problem.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    dudeman said:

callen said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

No one in particular, but all of them in part. It's the confluence of many, many social issues that perpetuate violence. Each demographic plays a role in the total number of gun deaths but the same social problems that affect one group may not necessarily apply to another.
    Surely America has the same societal problems as many other countries, why is it that in America they lead to such extreme violent outbursts? Is it a lack of any sense of community or connection to your fellow citizens? Is it that the proliferation of guns leads to a desensitization to violence? Take England, for example, it's a decent sized country. Why has there never been such an incident in England? (I can't think of any anyway)
  • Options

dudeman said:

callen said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

Surely America has the same societal problems as many other countries, why is it that in America they lead to such extreme violent outbursts? Is it a lack of any sense of community or connection to your fellow citizens? Is it that the proliferation of guns leads to a desensitization to violence? Take England, for example, it's a decent sized country. Why has there never been such an incident in England? (I can't think of any anyway)
    We do lack sense of community. It's all about the individual. Unequal education wages and rights.

Racism hate insecurities religion. Neighbors be damned

I'll buy the biggest truck and have the biggest guns. And our politicians feed for their gains.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambs said:

dudeman said:

callen said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

Smellyman said:

Ahhh, but they were when they purchased a gun weren't they? They used a weapon they were within their rights to own to infringe on the rights of others.
    It's a big problem.
    The same logic applies to drinking and driving, though. People are legally allowed to drink and they are legally allowed to drive, but doing those things together makes them criminals. They are law-abiding until they aren't.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited September 2015
    Coming from a country where the majority of our police force don't carry guns you can imagine which side of the debate I'm on.

I did spend a year living in the US (Indiana) and the attitude to guns was so alien to me. I had never seen a gun and have no desire to ever hold one.

Anyway I caught this documentary this weekend http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/requiem-for-the-dead-american-spring-2014/synopsis.html

"More than 32,000 people die from gun violence every year in America, an average of 88 people per day. REQUIEM FOR THE DEAD: AMERICAN SPRING 2014 highlights a few of the estimated 8,000 individuals who died from gunfire that spring, drawing exclusively on found media – news accounts, police investigations and social media – to shine a light on little-known stories of tragic loss, bringing the victims to life in their own words and images.

From a Facebook status update to a post on Instagram, from a newspaper headline to on-the-scene video, REQUIEM FOR THE DEAD details victims’ lives in the moments leading up to the shootings and shows how each death reverberates in the lives of others."

These were spouses who were asked for a divorce and then committed murder/suicide (one killing his wife and himself, one killing his wife, kids and himself), siblings killing siblings (12 killing a 16 year old and I think 15/16 killing an 18 year old ... on purpose), as well as a 12 year old accidentally killing a friend, one a gentleman who accidentally discharged him weapon and it traveled across his home and hit his wife who was sitting in another room etc. These weren't illegal firearms. These weren't (until the incident in question) criminals. Most would likely have passed mental health checks. Mental health isn't a constant ...
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    chime said:

Coming from a country where the majority of our police force don't carry guns you can imagine which side of the debate I'm on.

I did spend a year living in the US (Indiana) and the attitude to guns was so alien to me. I had never seen a gun and have no desire to ever hold one.

Anyway I caught this documentary this weekend http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/requiem-for-the-dead-american-spring-2014/synopsis.html

"More than 32,000 people die from gun violence every year in America, an average of 88 people per day. REQUIEM FOR THE DEAD: AMERICAN SPRING 2014 highlights a few of the estimated 8,000 individuals who died from gunfire that spring, drawing exclusively on found media – news accounts, police investigations and social media – to shine a light on little-known stories of tragic loss, bringing the victims to life in their own words and images.

From a Facebook status update to a post on Instagram, from a newspaper headline to on-the-scene video, REQUIEM FOR THE DEAD details victims’ lives in the moments leading up to the shootings and shows how each death reverberates in the lives of others."

These were spouses who were asked for a divorce and then committed murder/suicide (one killing his wife and himself, one killing his wife, kids and himself), siblings killing siblings (12 killing a 16 year old and I think 15/16 killing an 18 year old ... on purpose), as well as a 12 year old accidentally killing a friend etc. These weren't illegal firearms. These weren't (until the incident in question) criminals. They likely would have passed mental health checks. Mental health isn't a constant ...

Oh I taped that programme, will have a look at the weekend
  • Options
    I have seen that program. It is emotional and eye-opening. It is interesting to me that some people who have lost loved ones to gun violence renounce all private gun ownership and want them banned, while other's in similar situations feel the need to arm themselves in the hopes of not being a victim of a similar fate.

I guess that is just one reason that there is such a divide among Americans on this issue.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

I have seen that program. It is emotional and eye-opening. It is interesting to me that some people who have lost loved ones to gun violence renounce all private gun ownership and want them banned, while other's in similar situations feel the need to arm themselves in the hopes of not being a victim of a similar fate.

I guess that is just one reason that there is such a divide among Americans on this issue.

Well I guess it's similar to how those who have family in the military can come to oppose warmongering or else give unquestioning loyalty to the army and its actions
  • Options

dudeman said:

Well I guess it's similar to how those who have family in the military can come to oppose warmongering or else give unquestioning loyalty to the army and its actions
    Yes. I think the important thing to focus on is the ability of an individual to draw their own conclusions and live their life accordingly.

Wouldn't it be nice if human beings were able to evolve past the point where killing of any kind was done?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    I posted the same article in another thread:
    hmmmmmmm.......
    SHOCK: AS AMERICANS BOUGHT 170 MILLION GUNS, VIOLENT CRIME FELL 51%
    by AWR HAWKINS31 Aug 2015
    On August 28, the NRA presented ATF and FBI data showing Americans have purchased “170 million new guns” since 1991, and violent crime has fallen “51 percent.”

The NRA tweeted, “Since ’91, Americans have acquired over 170 million new firearms and violent crimes have declined by 51%.”

This information squares with the findings of a Congressional Research Service (CRS) study covering the slightly shorter period of time from 1994 to 2009. For those years, CRS found that Americans purchased approximately 118 million firearms, and the 1993 “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide” rate of 6.6 per 100,000 fell to 3.6 per 100,000 by the year 2000. It eventually fell all the way to 3.2 per 100,000 in 2011.

That is more than a 50 percent reduction in “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide.”

Then, in 2009—the year the CRS study ended—Obama took office and gun sales began their climb to record levels, which made covering the gap between the 118 million guns that had been purchased by 2009 and the “170 million new guns” that Americans would own by 2015 an easy gap to bridge.

Breitbart News previously reported that there were 21,093,273 background checks for firearms in 2013 alone. And each of those checks were on buyers who could have legally purchased multiple firearms.

The overarching message is simple—more guns, less crime. Americans have purchased “170 million new guns” since 1991, and violent crime has decreased as gun ownership has increased.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Yes. I think the important thing to focus on is the ability of an individual to draw their own conclusions and live their life accordingly.

Wouldn't it be nice if human beings were able to evolve past the point where killing of any kind was done?
    One of the reasons I'm against death penalty.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......
    On August 28, the NRA presented ATF and FBI data showing Americans have purchased “170 million new guns” since 1991, and violent crime has fallen “51 percent.”

The NRA tweeted, “Since ’91, Americans have acquired over 170 million new firearms and violent crimes have declined by 51%.”

This information squares with the findings of a Congressional Research Service (CRS) study covering the slightly shorter period of time from 1994 to 2009. For those years, CRS found that Americans purchased approximately 118 million firearms, and the 1993 “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide” rate of 6.6 per 100,000 fell to 3.6 per 100,000 by the year 2000. It eventually fell all the way to 3.2 per 100,000 in 2011.

That is more than a 50 percent reduction in “firearm-related murder and non-negligent homicide.”

Then, in 2009—the year the CRS study ended—Obama took office and gun sales began their climb to record levels, which made covering the gap between the 118 million guns that had been purchased by 2009 and the “170 million new guns” that Americans would own by 2015 an easy gap to bridge.

Breitbart News previously reported that there were 21,093,273 background checks for firearms in 2013 alone. And each of those checks were on buyers who could have legally purchased multiple firearms.

The overarching message is simple—more guns, less crime. Americans have purchased “170 million new guns” since 1991, and violent crime has decreased as gun ownership has increased.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.

Wow. More guns equals less crime. What a concept. I wonder why the government doesn't pass out free guns to everybody if more guns actually means less crime.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......

Wow. More guns equals less crime. What a concept. I wonder why the government doesn't pass out free guns to everybody if more guns actually means less crime.
    Why do you dispute every single piece of evidence that is presented to you? You have the ex wife syndrome again.
  • Options
    callen said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

One of the reasons I'm against death penalty.
    Me too.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......

Why do you dispute every single piece of evidence that is presented to you? You have the ex wife syndrome again.
    HAHAHA!
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited September 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......

I dispute it because the numbers are not relative. If crime has been down since 2007, should we correlate that to smart phones? Or maybe it's the popularity of Breaking Bad? Perhaps it's the dominance the NFC had over the AFC in the 90s?

By the way, I'm not disputed every single piece of evidence. I'm disputing the authors premise of more guns equals less crime.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2015

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......

I dispute it because the numbers are not relative. If crime has been down since 2007, should we correlate that to smart phones? Or maybe it's the popularity of Breaking Bad? Perhaps it's the dominance the NFC had over the AFC in the 90s?

By the way, I'm not disputed every single piece of evidence. I'm disputing the authors premise of more guns equals less crime.
    Yes, that there's what them educated folks call a syllogistic fallacy.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,936

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......

Hasn't % of ownership relative to overall population remained constant or dropped?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......

so you aren't disputing the numbers but the authors opinion? way to bring up only one sentence from the article and not the numbers that prove that even though there's more guns in america, crime went down for that time period.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

hmmmmmmm.......

Hasn't % of ownership relative to overall population remained constant or dropped?
    i'm not sure if more people bought guns under the obama presidency or if the same people bought more guns (make sense?). I know the percentage of women who owns guns have gone up a lot over the past few years.
This discussion has been closed.