Options

The right to bear arms

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
edited April 15 in A Moving Train
Enough already
I have had enough of the gun violence here in America. Enough already.

How do we end it?
How do we get the guns off the streets?
How would we be able to make this happen?
There are millions of guns out there, legal and illegal, and we need to get them off the streets.
How would America accomplish this?
This gun violence, the gun culture, it needs to come to an end. It needs to come to an end NOW.
But how does America go about it?
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I'd start with a no question asked gun buyback at a few times face value.This will entice many at the street level to cash in and that is where most unregistered fire arms are.This is also where many of your street crime guns are.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Australia did it.

Not happening here. Selfishness, greed, ignorance and fear prevails.

God bless the USA and Guns. Woo hoo.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Speedy, haven't you heard? All of these lone gunmen are actually part of a "well-regulated militia." Totally constitutional, pal.

Nothing to be done.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

I'd start with a no question asked gun buyback at a few times face value.This will entice many at the street level to cash in and that is where most unregistered fire arms are.This is also where many of your street crime guns are.

It would be a start. It was part of the plan that Australia used 20 or so years ago. Its interesting reading how Australia went about changing their gun laws. Though here in America, we have 300x the problem that they had.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    I like your passion Mike about this issue it would take a million more like yourself to maybe get someone to listen but as it stands now this country will not go for any change at all , the NRA is way bigger than any other other entity ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    callen said:

Australia did it.

Not happening here. Selfishness, greed, ignorance and fear prevails.

God bless the USA and Guns. Woo hoo.

And NOT saying all gun owners are the above.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

I like your passion Mike about this issue it would take a million more like yourself to maybe get someone to listen but as it stands now this country will not go for any change at all , the NRA is way bigger than any other other entity ....

It can be done.
    It HAS TO BE DONE!
    At some point in time, we here in America, HAVE TO GET THE GUNS OFF THE STREETS!

I used to be one of those "God Bless America" people.
    I was one who said "America is the BEST"
    No country can compare to the USA.

Not anymore.
    Not for a while.
    I am sickened by our country, and the direction it is heading.
    We are a disgrace.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303

It can be done.
    It HAS TO BE DONE!
    At some point in time, we here in America, HAVE TO GET THE GUNS OFF THE STREETS!

Not anymore.
    Not for a while.
    We are a disgrace.
    I feel you bro i too thought the same way hell i became a US citizen exactly on those points but this country has gone away from the values that made this country the jewel of the world , it would take a completly massive movement to get this done id be part of it no problem .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204
    regulate bullets. how they are manufactured and sold. that's what i'd go after.
  • Options

It can be done.
    It HAS TO BE DONE!

Not anymore.
    Not for a while.
    We are a disgrace.
    I feel you bro i too thought the same way hell i became a US citizen exactly on those points but this country has gone away from the values that made this country the jewel of the world , it would take a completly massive movement to get this done id be part of it no problem .....
    It is time for that massive movement. Something needs to change.
    Here in America a parent cant send their child to elementary school, without having the fear of a massacre happening, on any given day. Had someone told me that in the year 2015 I would never walk into a movie theater again, because I was in fear of yet another massacre, I would think you were crazy. Yet, to be honest, I am sure there are millions of Americans who think just that. Americans have to be in fear when walking through a shopping mall, or a theater? Americans have to go to work Monday through Friday, and hope this isn't the day when the office lunatic doesn't show up with 300 rounds of ammo? Here in Chicago, you no longer look forward to enjoying your Summer. Because the Chicago motto of "Get Hot and Get Shot", is just a fact.

When does it end?
    Does it truly have to worsen, before something changes?
    How can it get any worse?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

It can be done.
    It HAS TO BE DONE!

Not anymore.
    Not for a while.
    We are a disgrace.
    Speedy, I'm sorry to agree with you (half my blood is American), and I'm scared to see Canada follow in some of the dirty footsteps of our neighbours to the south. How some lobbyists with blood on their hands are able to sleep at night is truly beyond me.

If Americans want to reclaim America, Americans can no longer subscribe to 'ignorance is bliss'. There are far more peace-seeking moderates than war-loving gun lobbyists in the States; the trick is to get them to speak up as loudly. Has that happened since the Vietnam war era?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I know it doesn't help to quote the president, but he addresses our need to do something every time something like this happens, but his weary tone after Charleston suggests that he knows he's basically just farting into the wind.

Statements after Charleston:
    • "If Congress had passed some commonsense legislation after Newtown, after a group of children had been gunned down in their own classroom, reforms that 90% of the American people supported … we might still have more Americans with us."
    • "As much as we grieve this particular tragedy, it’s important to step back and recognize that these tragedies have become far too commonplace."
    • "At some point as a country, we have to reckon with what happens. It’s not enough to express sympathy. You don’t see this kind of murder, on this scale, with this kind of frequency in other advanced countries on earth."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

It can be done.
    It HAS TO BE DONE!

Not anymore.
    Not for a while.
    We are a disgrace.
    It is time for that massive movement. Something needs to change.
    Here in America a parent cant send their child to elementary school, without having the fear of a massacre happening, on any given day. Had someone told me that in the year 2015 I would never walk into a movie theater again, because I was in fear of yet another massacre, I would think you were crazy. Yet, to be honest, I am sure there are millions of Americans who think just that. Americans have to be in fear when walking through a shopping mall, or a theater? Americans have to go to work Monday through Friday, and hope this isn't the day when the office lunatic doesn't show up with 300 rounds of ammo? Here in Chicago, you no longer look forward to enjoying your Summer. Because the Chicago motto of "Get Hot and Get Shot", is just a fact.

When does it end?
    Does it truly have to worsen, before something changes?
    How can it get any worse?
    It can and most likely will get worse. Any hope of real change in this country went bye bye when the Supreme Court ruled that corporations are people. Unless some company finds a way to monetize the removal of guns and make billions, it isn't going to happen. These fuckers in office are all bought and paid for and always will be.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Nothing can get worse than Sandy Hook, but the frequency of these things very well could and most likely will. So depressing. And we think we are the leader of the world.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    dankind said:

I know it doesn't help to quote the president, but he addresses our need to do something every time something like this happens, but his weary tone after Charleston suggests that he knows he's basically just farting into the wind.

• "If Congress had passed some commonsense legislation after Newtown, after a group of children had been gunned down in their own classroom, reforms that 90% of the American people supported … we might still have more Americans with us."
    • "As much as we grieve this particular tragedy, it’s important to step back and recognize that these tragedies have become far too commonplace."
    • "At some point as a country, we have to reckon with what happens. It’s not enough to express sympathy. You don’t see this kind of murder, on this scale, with this kind of frequency in other advanced countries on earth."
    This entire speech was so depressing that he just gave up, he had no choice.
  • Options

dankind said:

This entire speech was so depressing that he just gave up, he had no choice.
    And neither do we.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Actual gun control is the only measure we haven't attempted to curb the violence. Anyone who thinks we currently have or had gun control is just being stubborn and blinded by the second amendment.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    So the Second Amendment is unassailable, but the according to Trump and his supporters the 14th Amendment is completely up for grabs. Correct?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    The only way to make a change is to change our election process. Fire congress and the senate right now and no longer allow any donations from companies, max of $200 from one person. Change the whole election process to only be 3 months to cut the cost down. No more primaries and its straight who got the most votes nationally wins. The 2 party system needs to go and doing it this way will let more people have a shot. No more electoral college with some states having more sway than others. A vote is a vote despite where it comes from. Harshen the laws on public officials taking money or trips on a lobbyists dime. Raise the wages of congress and senate and make it to where that is all they can get. No more speaking gigs or anything until they are out of office, which should be 1 term. Until our elected officials actually serve us and our needs nothing will change.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802

So the Second Amendment is unassailable, but the according to Trump and his supporters the 14th Amendment is completely up for grabs. Correct?

Yep.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

The only way to make a change is to change our election process. Fire congress and the senate right now and no longer allow any donations from companies, max of $200 from one person. Change the whole election process to only be 3 months to cut the cost down. No more primaries and its straight who got the most votes nationally wins. The 2 party system needs to go and doing it this way will let more people have a shot. No more electoral college with some states having more sway than others. A vote is a vote despite where it comes from. Harshen the laws on public officials taking money or trips on a lobbyists dime. Raise the wages of congress and senate and make it to where that is all they can get. No more speaking gigs or anything until they are out of office, which should be 1 term. Until our elected officials actually serve us and our needs nothing will change.

Well said. Need to eliminate the two party system and the electoral college. Get the money OUT of the election process. Get term limits under control. Get broadcast coverage of debates under NEUTRAL control.

but I just popped in to drop this off. image
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Oh, and I've seen a couple no questions asked gun buyback things here in the city with the pd and the church and they seem to help some. I dug up this old article with some numbers
    http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/politics/2012/12/6920679/nypd-gun-buyback-total-so-far
    "Since the program’s inception in 2002 there have been 7,360 guns turned in for $100 each at police stations in the five boroughs. In the NYPD program with clergy and DAs that followed there were 8,394 guns turned in to police at churches for $200 each; for a total 15,754 from both programs combined."
    He didn't say anything specific about the administrations plans for gun buybacks in the future.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I love you, Speedy.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    I'm actually a proponent of the right to tickle arms.

arms, legs, feet, astronomics, wherever....
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

^^^This

Make it illegal to sell ammunition online. All sales of ammunition must be in person with limits on quantities sold. Make bullets more expensive to buy, and highly regulate materials used to make your own bullets at home.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732

pjhawks said:

^^^This

Make it illegal to sell ammunition online. All sales of ammunition must be in person with limits on quantities sold. Make bullets more expensive to buy, and highly regulate materials used to make your own bullets at home.
    Whoa! What? You can buy ammunition online?? CRAZY!

I'm not sure how feasible it would be to limit reloading though. Many years ago, I knew a guy who was big into reloading and the materials just didn't seem very difficult to procure.

But in any case, I definitely support the idea of limiting access to ammunition and making it and reloading equipment expensive. Tax the hell out of all of that stuff and give the money the families and fund their grief support groups as well as fund better education. Toughen up gun sales, registration, background checks, etc. Teach people how to get proper nutrition to help create better physical and mental health.

Doing more to alleviate poverty and end stupid senseless racism and hate group mentality (of all kinds) would also go a long way to helping end this madness.

So much of this is just basic sense and education. Damn, we are sick and stupid ass nation/society, at least in some ways. Right? That could change.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I agree but don't know the answer..many of the thoughts mentioned above are good starts..the amendments are outdated..Americans need to get pissed!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Oh, and I've seen a couple no questions asked gun buyback things here in the city with the pd and the church and they seem to help some. I dug up this old article with some numbers
    http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/politics/2012/12/6920679/nypd-gun-buyback-total-so-far
    "Since the program’s inception in 2002 there have been 7,360 guns turned in for $100 each at police stations in the five boroughs. In the NYPD program with clergy and DAs that followed there were 8,394 guns turned in to police at churches for $200 each; for a total 15,754 from both programs combined."
    He didn't say anything specific about the administrations plans for gun buybacks in the future.

Gun manufacturers should be forced to fund this.
This discussion has been closed.