Options

The right to bear arms

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Don't tell people that when the constitution was written the most powerful weapon known to man was a musket that took 4 minutes to reload if you were a marksman. They will tell you that we should ban the internet because newspaper and books were the only methods of spreading information.

don't you two be talking about me like that! lol
    I didn't mention any names.... :whistle:
    lol touche. pjsoul hates me because I tell her all the time how bad riot act is.
    image It's so good!!!!!!!!!
    :lol:
    Shit. Now I hate him.

You suck, mcgruff.

:tongue:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Don't tell people that when the constitution was written the most powerful weapon known to man was a musket that took 4 minutes to reload if you were a marksman. They will tell you that we should ban the internet because newspaper and books were the only methods of spreading information.

lol touche. pjsoul hates me because I tell her all the time how bad riot act is.
    Shit. Now I hate him.

You suck, mcgruff.

Like five people bought riot act and they all hate me. Geez. ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Save You and LBC alone make that album indispensable.
    All or None, You Are, and Thumbing My Way, Green Diseases and Can't Keep.
    Yeah, gimme summa dat.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,935
    whats not being addressed here is these national news killings are being done with legally purchased/owned guns.

for the other equally important issues of crime in general with guns, but also the killings in the streets,

show me some stats please on rates of crime relative to gun use, house break-ins or thefts(show where guns were listed as stolen that were then later used in these other crimes). That way we can get a decent enough picture of how many guns were gotten that way vs. how many black market(i.e. legal initial purchase then sold legally but to folks who wouldn't otherwise have legal access)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Gambs, spot on with LBC and save you. Those two alone make the album worth listening to.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    mickeyrat said:

whats not being addressed here is these national news killings are being done with legally purchased/owned guns.

for the other equally important issues of crime in general with guns, but also the killings in the streets,

show me some stats please on rates of crime relative to gun use, house break-ins or thefts(show where guns were listed as stolen that were then later used in these other crimes). That way we can get a decent enough picture of how many guns were gotten that way vs. how many black market(i.e. legal initial purchase then sold legally but to folks who wouldn't otherwise have legal access)

Well these high profile cases are a tiny fraction of gun deaths. Would guess the daily robberies and killings that involve the stolen guns.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Are you fucking kidding me? Rating albums?

Callen I dont understand your post. You would guess what.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    mcgruff10 said:

dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Shit. Now I hate him.

You suck, mcgruff.

I dont hate u..cos i like your wife :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,770
    Every gun has a history. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nAfWfF4TjM
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928

mcgruff10 said:

dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Shit. Now I hate him.

You suck, mcgruff.

I dont hate u..cos i like your wife :D
    Oh damn!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    mickeyrat said:

Most crime doesn't make the headlines so can't judge stolen gun problem from these high profile cases.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

mickeyrat said:

Most crime doesn't make the headlines so can't judge stolen gun problem from these high profile cases.
    I agree, these higher profile cases usually involve a legally purchased weapon. Surely there is data out there on the number of guns stolen.

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,988
    brianlux said:

This is deplorable to me. These "customers" come into a store seeking a means of protecting themselves and their families, maybe because something terrible happened to someone close to them and the police arrived too late, and they are made to feel guilt and shame for that because of the acts of some crazy assholes.

The callousness that abounds in the world never ceases to amaze and disgust me.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

brianlux said:

This is deplorable to me. These "customers" come into a store seeking a means of protecting themselves and their families, maybe because something terrible happened to someone close to them and the police arrived too late, and they are made to feel guilt and shame for that because of the acts of some crazy assholes.

Are you saying you find the efforts of the people who made this video to be callous? Why instead don't we look at other countries and cultures where gun violence is lower than ours and why the people there don't get this knee jerk paranoia that someone is going kill you if you don't have a gun. The only person I know who was shot a killed is a friend who was shot on the streets of Sacramento so suddenly and unexpectedly that if he had been armed he would have been killed anyway. I'm 64 years old and have lived in many places and known and met many people and yet I've never met anyone who needed to have a gun to save their life. More people with more guns just means more dead people. Americans have such a tunnel vision approach to the problem. I'm glad someone is out there is using this video to help create a new mentality regarding guns. Sorry you were so offended.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dudeman said:

brianlux said:

Reality and sober second thought is not deplorable or callous.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    wow i go away for a week and come back and speedy all of a sudden is a bleeding heart?? No way!!

just kidding speedy, but i am totally with you here.

there has to be a way.

i like the idea of the no questions asked gun buyback.

i also like the idea of making ammo more expensive, or taxing ammo at double purchase price. if a box of ammo costs $100, with tax, it will cost $200. that will make it more difficult for people to afford bullets.

better yet, a 5 year moratorium on the manufacture and import of bullets here in the states. that will create insane demand and drive up the cost.

if ammo is more difficult to get, people could have all the guns they want, just have a more difficult time getting the ammo to kill someone. to me, the gun is not the problem, it is the thing that the gun spits out that takes lives with it. the second amendment does not mention ammo, it just says arms, which to me is the gun itself.

i have more ideas, just am not looking forward to defending myself from the flames i am sure to get after this post.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

wow i go away for a week and come back and speedy all of a sudden is a bleeding heart?? No way!!

there has to be a way.

i also like the idea of making ammo more expensive, or taxing ammo at double purchase price. if a box of ammo costs $100, with tax, it will cost $200. that will make it more difficult for people to afford bullets.

better yet, a 5 year moratorium on the manufacture and import of bullets here in the states. that will create insane demand and drive up the cost.

if ammo is more difficult to get, people could have all the guns they want, just have a more difficult time getting the ammo to kill someone. to me, the gun is not the problem, it is the thing that the gun spits out that takes lives with it. the second amendment does not mention ammo, it just says arms, which to me is the gun itself.

i have more ideas, just am not looking forward to defending myself from the flames i am sure to get after this post.

That tax will only guarantee that poor people are singled out as having less value to their lives than those who can afford to pay the tax. Watch for the lawsuit in Seattle and see if that isn't at the core of the argument.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

there has to be a way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II
  • Options
    brianlux said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

Are you saying you find the efforts of the people who made this video to be callous? Why instead don't we look at other countries and cultures where gun violence is lower than ours and why the people there don't get this knee jerk paranoia that someone is going kill you if you don't have a gun. The only person I know who was shot a killed is a friend who was shot on the streets of Sacramento so suddenly and unexpectedly that if he had been armed he would have been killed anyway. I'm 64 years old and have lived in many places and known and met many people and yet I've never met anyone who needed to have a gun to save their life. More people with more guns just means more dead people. Americans have such a tunnel vision approach to the problem. I'm glad someone is out there is using this video to help create a new mentality regarding guns. Sorry you were so offended.

Brian, I respect your opinions and I am truly sorry to hear about your friend. I can relate. However, our opinions are partly the product of our life experience and thus are surly going to be varied in myriad ways.

You haven't known anyone that has had to use a firearm to defend themselves or their families but I have. I also have lost friends to murderers. Those friends might still be alive if they had the situational awareness, training and tools to protect themselves.

Choosing to own firearms for protection is a very personal choice, and certainly not one to be taken lightly. I don't disagree that fewer guns equal fewer gun deaths, of course that's true. There are also lots of people out there that should never own guns. Background checks need to be done and the gun show loophole and private sales not being subject to checks is a problem, too.

The comparison to other countries is a good place to start, but consider that the population of the United States is comprised of samples of the population from all of those other countries. None of those other countries have demographics that come close to ours. Think there might be something there?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653
    edited August 2015
    dudeman said:

brianlux said:

Well they aren't mentally challenged children dude. They are grown adults who are capable of hearing another side of something and making their own decisions, sheesh. They are every bit as capable as you are of interpreting this information and doing what they think is best.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dudeman said:

brianlux said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

Brian, I respect your opinions and I am truly sorry to hear about your friend. I can relate. However, our opinions are partly the product of our life experience and thus are surly going to be varied in myriad ways.

You haven't known anyone that has had to use a firearm to defend themselves or their families but I have. I also have lost friends to murderers. Those friends might still be alive if they had the situational awareness, training and tools to protect themselves.

Choosing to own firearms for protection is a very personal choice, and certainly not one to be taken lightly. I don't disagree that fewer guns equal fewer gun deaths, of course that's true. There are also lots of people out there that should never own guns. Background checks need to be done and the gun show loophole and private sales not being subject to checks is a problem, too.

The comparison to other countries is a good place to start, but consider that the population of the United States is comprised of samples of the population from all of those other countries. None of those other countries have demographics that come close to ours. Think there might be something there?
    And likewise, I'm sorry to hear about your losses. That sucks.

Yes, we are an amalgam of people from around the world but our current culture, laws, entertainment, and social mores backed by a history rife with war, continental conquest and genocide make us more prone toward violence. We would do well to learn from other parts of the world where gun violence is a much lesser issue. And I don't think guns will ever be fully outlawed but I don't think a change in mind set and much greater restrictions on ability to purchase and carry would be wise.

• Options
    brianlux said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

And likewise, I'm sorry to hear about your losses. That sucks.

Yes, we are an amalgam of people from around the world but our current culture, laws, entertainment, and social mores backed by a history rife with war, continental conquest and genocide make us more prone toward violence. We would do well to learn from other parts of the world where gun violence is a much lesser issue. And I don't think guns will ever be fully outlawed but I don't think a change in mind set and much greater restrictions on ability to purchase and carry would be wise.

Agreed.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

brianlux said:

Well they aren't mentally challenged children dude. They are grown adults who are capable of hearing another side of something and making their own decisions, sheesh. They are every bit as capable as you are of interpreting this information and doing what they think is best.
    I understand that but for the makers of that video to lay the burden of guilt on those unsuspecting people is beyond shitty. Of course, this is my opinion.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited August 2015
    You have guns because you like guns! That's why you go to gun conventions; that's why you read gun magazines! None of you give a shit about home security. None of you go to home security conventions. None of you read Padlock Monthly. None of you have a Facebook picture of you behind a secure door..going 'fuckin yeah!'
    Smellyman said:

Fricking hilarious and on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOk1SnQ8uU

Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

You have guns because you like guns! That's why you go to gun conventions; that's why you read gun magazines! None of you give a shit about home security. None of you go to home security conventions. None of you read Padlock Monthly. None of you have a Facebook picture of you behind a secure door..going 'fuckin yeah!'

Smellyman said:

Fricking hilarious and on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOk1SnQ8uU

:clap::clap:
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    I found myself debating this issue with the American actor Mark Pellegrino the other day, which was quite bizarre but when talking about something like this the concept of celebrity is somewhat redundant, he was just another person with strongly held opinions with which I happened to disagree. Anyway, his defence of the right to bear arms is his staunch belief that guns in the right hands (those of responsible law-abiding citizens) are a force for good. For example, he suggested that had such a citizen been present during the cinema shootings fewer people might have died. He gave another example in which someone drove their car into a café in Texas and then started shooting people. Apparently there was a woman in the café who could have stopped him, had she not left her gun in her car. He himself claims to have chased off a robber from his apartment block using his own legally held gun.

Now I'm quite a naive idealist and my general view would be that I'd like to get rid of all guns. I do realise how unrealistic this is though and so it can be quite hard to combat Mark's view that the very fact that this would be impossible is the reason why it's so important for citizens to have the right to arm themselves.

Even if we then say ok we at least need better background checks, we all know that if someone wants a gun they'll find a way to get one. Sure all the kids have to do is take their parents guns, as I believe happened with a number of the school shootings.

So what's the answer???
  • Options

I found myself debating this issue with the American actor Mark Pellegrino the other day, which was quite bizarre but when talking about something like this the concept of celebrity is somewhat redundant, he was just another person with strongly held opinions with which I happened to disagree. Anyway, his defence of the right to bear arms is his staunch belief that guns in the right hands (those of responsible law-abiding citizens) are a force for good. For example, he suggested that had such a citizen been present during the cinema shootings fewer people might have died. He gave another example in which someone drove their car into a café in Texas and then started shooting people. Apparently there was a woman in the café who could have stopped him, had she not left her gun in her car. He himself claims to have chased off a robber from his apartment block using his own legally held gun.

Now I'm quite a naive idealist and my general view would be that I'd like to get rid of all guns. I do realise how unrealistic this is though and so it can be quite hard to combat Mark's view that the very fact that this would be impossible is the reason why it's so important for citizens to have the right to arm themselves.

Even if we then say ok we at least need better background checks, we all know that if someone wants a gun they'll find a way to get one. Sure all the kids have to do is take their parents guns, as I believe happened with a number of the school shootings.

So what's the answer???

Registration of all sales with serial # attached (there is a reason guns have them).
    Universal backround checks for all sales.
    Every weapon submits its "fingerprint" which is the bullet fired from it to FBI for cataloging. When that weapon is later used in crime and proven so , that person is held accountable. You no longer own that weapon for whatever reason and not inform authorities? Tough shit. You go to jail too.

parents of kids who steal the parents guns for crime are charged with same charges as kids.

Extensive training for each owner with regular retesting or recertification (thats what "well regulated militia " means in that amendment).

No more ccw "reciprocity" between states. you dont live in my state and want to carry here? Certify here.

Weapons ARE tools. Designed with the intent to cause bodily harm up to and including death. The seriousness of this fact as it applies to wider society far outweighs your haphazard, inapporiate storage and handling if these tools. If you cant show on a regular basis safe practice in all aspects of ownership then buy a bat or other means of protection.

• Options
    edited August 2015

So what's the answer???

I'm aware of two cities in the US where law enforcement agencies have suggested to law abiding citizens that they obtain firearms and learn to use them. Part of it is funding, as a lot of municipalities are facing budget issues and have had to furlough or lay-off some of their officers. It is their opinion that there aren't enough LEO's to cover the security needs of their jurisdiction.

The other part is the realization that their job is to solve crimes after they happen, not to protect civilians from being victimized in the first place. Some officers would rather see the law abiding people survive these attacks.

I don't disagree that the US has a gun problem but it's worse than that. The US has an "evil" problem.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    dudeman said:

A lot of people here like to cast dispersions o

So what's the answer???

I'm aware of two cities in the US where law enforcement agencies have suggested to law abiding citizens that they obtain firearms and learn to use them. Part of it is funding, as a lot of municipalities are facing budget issues and have had to furlough or lay-off some of their officers. It is their opinion that there aren't enough LEO's to cover the security needs of their jurisdiction.

The other part is the realization that their job is to solve crimes after they happen, not to protect civilians from being victimized in the first place. Some officers would rather see the law abiding people survive these attacks.

I don't disagree that the US has a gun problem but it's worse than that. The US has an "evil" problem.
    Your last line there interests me. For me, this is the crux of the matter. The question isn't really about how people get guns or whether they should or shouldn't be able to. The real question should be what is it about Americans that drives them to commit murder and to kill complete strangers so mercilessly, in a way that rarely happens in other countries?
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    I would certainly feel more safe if more people in a bar or theater had guns on them. If they know how to use them and have training than great. Because we all know people are always level headed, never have bad days, don't get bat shit crazy when drunk, have panic attacks or nervous breakdowns, jump to conclusions, mistake phones for guns, aren't racist etc. etc.

People are always good and pleasant until they aren't. The price of freedom is collateral damage. Whatcha gonna do?

Having the ability to easily kill somebody with something in their pocket is necassary and the right of all.
This discussion has been closed.