Options

Jared the sandwich guy ?

Comments

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited August 2015

PJ_Soul said:

I just can't work out why people would want criminals judging who deserves this or that punishment. That seems like an awful lot of power given to prisoners, and an awful lot of trust and faith in their own twisted power structures, where murderers often rank as top dog. That kind of thing should never be left in the hands of criminals.
    I definitely prefer the high road when it comes to this aspect of criminal justice.

I don't think it's possible to actually rape someone solely as punishment. You don't just become a rapist out of spite. If you're not wired for rape, you are not going to use it as a form of punishment...... Supporting prison rape is a reward for rapist cons - lets them do what they do. I guess if the pecking order is applied, only people who rape in prison, or who raped adults on the outside would be considered candidates for this reward. Really odd logic in my books.
    I also don't understand how we can make the monetary cost of justice a factor in this discussion, one way or the other....I don't agree with the death penalty, period....but both the death penalty and true life sentences will incur way more cost than whatever we want to call our current approach. This is one of those things where the only way to reduce cost is prevention, which I think sentencing has little bearing on. If prison terms including rape and regular beatings are not a deterrent, what would be?

So exactly how do we 'prevent'?

Given our current state of affairs... one way to prevent is to implement sentences that do not resemble revolving doors with the same shmuck coming and going for the same gig.

Everybody bitches about taxes and how they are misspent or could be put to better use. To my way of thinking... the Caza case which I referenced (and people never touched I noticed) is a classic example of 'waste'. If a guy is a serial pedopohile, why would we invest any money at all after already breaking the bank for him on priors?

There has to be an element of pragmatism practiced instead of speaking to how it could be if, somehow, somewhere, we could get it to be that way.
    For starters, work on the culture of rape and violence that is encapsulated in our prison systems by not calling either acceptable or not bothersome.
    After that....I agree with everything both you and PJ_Soul had to say. Dangerous offenders, esp those with more than one prior, should not be released....we need more screening of prisoners to determine the danger - but in general it can be determined by the nature of their crime. There are way too many people arrested with similar priors, no one can deny that.
    Funny, I was going to say your last paragraph to pjfan earlier...we won't be seeing the death penalty for sex crimes any time soon, so saying that is what should happen is not pragmatic. And Pragmatism goes both ways as well. We can't throw a blanket over all sex crime and throw out the key for (or kill) everyone....judicial oversight is an important aspect of democracy, imo.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

I just can't work out why people would want criminals judging who deserves this or that punishment. That seems like an awful lot of power given to prisoners, and an awful lot of trust and faith in their own twisted power structures, where murderers often rank as top dog. That kind of thing should never be left in the hands of criminals.
    I definitely prefer the high road when it comes to this aspect of criminal justice.

I don't think it's possible to actually rape someone solely as punishment. You don't just become a rapist out of spite. If you're not wired for rape, you are not going to use it as a form of punishment...... Supporting prison rape is a reward for rapist cons - lets them do what they do. I guess if the pecking order is applied, only people who rape in prison, or who raped adults on the outside would be considered candidates for this reward. Really odd logic in my books.
    I also don't understand how we can make the monetary cost of justice a factor in this discussion, one way or the other....I don't agree with the death penalty, period....but both the death penalty and true life sentences will incur way more cost than whatever we want to call our current approach. This is one of those things where the only way to reduce cost is prevention, which I think sentencing has little bearing on. If prison terms including rape and regular beatings are not a deterrent, what would be?

Given our current state of affairs... one way to prevent is to implement sentences that do not resemble revolving doors with the same shmuck coming and going for the same gig.

Everybody bitches about taxes and how they are misspent or could be put to better use. To my way of thinking... the Caza case which I referenced (and people never touched I noticed) is a classic example of 'waste'. If a guy is a serial pedopohile, why would we invest any money at all after already breaking the bank for him on priors?

There has to be an element of pragmatism practiced instead of speaking to how it could be if, somehow, somewhere, we could get it to be that way.
    For starters, work on the culture of rape and violence that is encapsulated in our prison systems by not accepting either as acceptable or not bothersome.
    After that....I agree with everything both you and PJ_Soul had to say. Dangerous offenders, esp those with more than one prior, should not be released....we need more screening of prisoners to determine the danger - but in general it can be determined by the nature of their crime. There are way too many people arrested with similar priors, no one can deny that.
    Funny, I was going to say your last paragraph to pjfan earlier...we won't be seeing the death penalty for sex crimes any time soon, so saying that is what should happen is not pragmatic. And Pragmatism goes both ways as well. We can't throw a blanket over all sex crime and throw out the key for (or kill) everyone....judicial oversight is an important aspect of democracy, imo.
    I'm not advocating for sentences of death for sex offenders... unless there is a murder attached to the crime (see Michael Rafferty).

I'm not advocating for madness behind bars either.

I asked for a pragmatic approach to the problem. I'll offer something: I'd advocate for a prison system that saw public works projects where inmates have the opportunity to give back to society and leave their sentence with skills that might serve them well upon successful reintegration to mainstream society. The harsher the crime... the farther removed from civilization for 'work'.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    Speak of the Devil - I just logged onto facebook and the first thing I saw was this. No surprise at all.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ^^^

Yup. Take precautions citizens. We've unleashed a scumbag who's a 'high risk' to reoffend. That's what we do so go f**k yourselves (before he does it).
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

For starters, work on the culture of rape and violence that is encapsulated in our prison systems by not accepting either as acceptable or not bothersome.
    I'm not advocating for sentences of death for sex offenders... unless there is a murder attached to the crime (see Michael Rafferty).

I asked for a pragmatic approach to the problem. I'll offer something: I'd advocate for a prison system that saw public works projects where inmates have the opportunity to give back to society and leave their sentence with skills that might serve them well upon successful reintegration to mainstream society. The harsher the crime... the farther removed from civilization for 'work'.
    Well....PJ_Soul made good points about rehab'ing sexual deviance....so I guess we'd have our NWT diamond mines full of pedos.
    Sounds good at first glance, but the influence of for-profit private corps involved in the justice system has been a nightmare in the US. Harper would be all over that plan...I'm sure a lot of corporate boards would as well...unless of course, we paid the criminals the going rate for their jobs....in which case we'd be making the diamond miners rich and the corps would never go for it.

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

Well....PJ_Soul made good points about rehab'ing sexual deviance....so I guess we'd have our NWT diamond mines full of pedos.
    Sounds good at first glance, but the influence of for-profit private corps involved in the justice system has been a nightmare in the US. Harper would be all over that plan...I'm sure a lot of corporate boards would as well...unless of course, we paid the criminals the going rate for their jobs....in which case we'd be making the diamond miners rich and the corps would never go for it.

It's only a spark of an idea- I haven't fully worked out the details yet; but I'd like to address something you said: why would we pay the inmates in the diamond mine scenario? To my way of thinking, the Canadian public would get paid.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

PJ_Soul said:

It's only a spark of an idea- I haven't fully worked out the details yet; but I'd like to address something you said: why would we pay the inmates in the diamond mine scenario? To my way of thinking, the Canadian public would get paid.
    Because if we don't it's slave labour and there would be zero incentive for the criminals to work. Would you have slave drivers whipping them? If not, how would you get them to accomplish enough to make it worthwhile to the benefactors? There would still be costs to lodging, feeding, clothing them, and maintaining the perimeter....which would be way higher in northern camp than prison. It's good to think outside the box, but forced labour is an old idea that I like to think we've evolved past.
  • Options
    I don't mean to shit on your ideas, esp considering I don't have much to offer myself as far as solutions.. but I don't have much to offer that I wouldn't pick apart while typing, aside from what I've already said....I would need to do more research - I'm sure this has been studied to death and there is no shortage of source material.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Because if we don't it's slave labour and there would be zero incentive for the criminals to work. Would you have slave drivers whipping them? If not, how would you get them to accomplish enough to make it worthwhile to the benefactors? There would still be costs to lodging, feeding, clothing them, and maintaining the perimeter....which would be way higher in northern camp than prison. It's good to think outside the box, but forced labour is an old idea that I like to think we've evolved past.
    And evolved to what? XBox, ping pong, weight lifting, and internet activities?

We're talking about criminals repaying their debt to society. Let them do it. I don't call this slave labour.

Motivation? How about two tiered meals? How about incentives like extra cigarettes, movies, nicer beds, monetary bonus, weekend passes ? It's only an idle and likely a passing thought, but at least it's better than the status quo in my mind, which blows.
  • Options

I don't mean to shit on your ideas, esp considering I don't have much to offer myself as far as solutions.. but I don't have much to offer that I wouldn't pick apart while typing, aside from what I've already said....I would need to do more research - I'm sure this has been studied to death and there is no shortage of source material.

And no problem, man. I thought we were just shootin' the shit and to be honest... this has not been anything more than what I said above (a passing thought).

I'm killing time before I need to get my bike back from repairs- it's been a worthwhile endeavour for me. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

PJ_Soul said:

We're talking about criminals repaying their debt to society. Let them do it. I don't call this slave labour.

Motivation? How about two tiered meals? How about incentives like extra cigarettes, movies, nicer beds, monetary bonus, weekend passes ? It's only an idle and likely a passing thought, but at least it's better than the status quo in my mind, which blows.
    c'mon mang!....we've done some miraculous things since forced labour was outlawed, and the things on the horizon will blow all of that away! stem cells and digital consciousness will let us live forever, and with alternative power, 3D printing, hyperloops, autonomous cars, open source tech etc the planet might actually resemble what it does now for longer than a century...more on point - as has been addressed in this thread....we've come a long way from where we were in regards to normalizing sexualization of minors....still a long way to go. but....perspective!
    There might be a way to determine incentives that would make your idea more palatable....But the fundamental problem with prison labour remains - that when there is monetary incentive for more prisoners, we find ways to make more of them. That's not historical precedent, it's current - as mentioned, we only need look to the south for proof.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

c'mon mang!....we've done some miraculous things since forced labour was outlawed, and the things on the horizon will blow all of that away! stem cells and digital consciousness will let us live forever, and with alternative power, 3D printing, hyperloops, autonomous cars, open source tech etc the planet might actually resemble what it does now for longer than a century...more on point - as has been addressed in this thread....we've come a long way from where we were in regards to normalizing sexualization of minors....still a long way to go. but....perspective!
    There might be a way to determine incentives that would make your idea more palatable....But the fundamental problem with prison labour remains - that when there is monetary incentive for more prisoners, we find ways to make more of them. That's not historical precedent, it's current - as mentioned, we only need look to the south for proof.
    Interesting that in much of modern research, external motivation (such as a monetary reward) has proven to be inferior to intrinsic motivation (like being valued).

You seem to be suggesting that people in prison are only going to put forth a reasonable effort if they are paid- otherwise they'd just as soon do their time as it is currently constructed. If that is true... then my contention that prison, with all its sweet perks, actually is comfier than is typically argued here.

Many people who have studied motivation might contend that being part of a work team that constructs (for example) a highway, seeing the results of their labour, and drawing praise for their efforts... as well as the typical assortment of external rewards... is very motivational.

Motivational components aside... you've assumed the worst for my crude idea instead of seeing the possibilities within it. Do you contend that prisoners would be best served as they currently exist... or would you contend they would be best served being part of something meaningful that can accomplish things?
  • Options
    Well let's talk about this piece of shit again for awhile.
    Convicts inside prison are getting a voice in the news for wanting him imprisoned longer.
    Sharks are abuzz about the new chum.
    This fucker deserves everything coming to him.
    http://www.people.com/article/jared-fogle-sentence-too-light-say-convicted-child-pornographers
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

Convicts inside prison are getting a voice in the news for wanting him imprisoned longer.
    http://www.people.com/article/jared-fogle-sentence-too-light-say-convicted-child-pornographers

And now, sentencing advice from current prison inmates, brought to you by that bastion of journalism, People Magazine (or, as they seem to say, PEOPLE).

I suspect you would not care about inmates' opinions on sentencing if they were suggesting a lighter sentence, so why are they suddenly valid when they are suggesting a heavier sentence? Could it be because they agree with you? Because that's called confirmation bias.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

And now, sentencing advice from current prison inmates, brought to you by that bastion of journalism, People Magazine (or, as they seem to say, PEOPLE).

I suspect you would not care about inmates' opinions on sentencing if they were suggesting a lighter sentence, so why are they suddenly valid when they are suggesting a heavier sentence? Could it be because they agree with you? Because that's called confirmation bias.
    All I am saying is what is in the news.
    Be it from an accredited journalist or an inmate.
    Either way it is what I am reading.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    all roads of criminal intent led to the death penalty......wow ! I'm reading some of your comments about this guy and I think back, is this the same group that stood so tall and mighty against the death penalty ? revenge killing is now O.K. ? the human mind and emotion are so fragile and yet so capable of killing...ohhhhh the horror of it all ! LOL !!!!!!!!

Godfather.
  • Options

all roads of criminal intent led to the death penalty......wow ! I'm reading some of your comments about this guy and I think back, is this the same group that stood so tall and mighty against the death penalty ? revenge killing is now O.K. ? the human mind and emotion are so fragile and yet so capable of killing...ohhhhh the horror of it all ! LOL !!!!!!!!

Godfather.

Who are you referring to, GF??
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Dead man walking.
  • Options

Godfather.

no body particularly, I just remember a somewhat heated discussion about the death penalty and some of the train members kept calling it "revenge killing" and stating that there is no reason to kill another human being and now that this sandwich guy got busted for child rape or abuse it sounds like people want him dead, I am not saying I agree or disagree, just thinking back on another thread it seems that maybe (or not) some of the train members have experienced enough anger over the sandwich guy and others like him that their thirst for blood has come to the surface, I've always thought everybody has a thirst for blood (reason to kill or ask for the death of another) given the right circumstance's.

Godfather.

• Options
    edited October 2015

Godfather.

no body particularly, I just remember a somewhat heated discussion about the death penalty and some of the train members kept calling it "revenge killing" and stating that there is no reason to kill another human being and now that this sandwich guy got busted for child rape or abuse it sounds like people want him dead, I am not saying I agree or disagree, just thinking back on another thread it seems that maybe (or not) some of the train members have experienced enough anger over the sandwich guy and others like him that their thirst for blood has come to the surface, I've always thought everybody has a thirst for blood (reason to kill or ask for the death of another) given the right circumstance's.

Godfather.

I am not sure you are talking about, and I don't keep a spreadsheet showing who is against the death penalty and if what they say elssewhere might contradict that opinion. All I know is that I am one of those people who opposes the death penalty, and would never advocate death as a punishment in any case, including that perv Jared Fogle, and I 100% do not have a thirst for blood, so your thought is wrong.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

I am not sure you are talking about, and I don't keep a spreadsheet showing who is against the death penalty and if what they say elssewhere might contradict that opinion. All I know is that I am one of those people who opposes the death penalty, and would never advocate death as a punishment in any case, including that perv Jared Fogle, and I 100% do not have a thirst for blood, so your thought is wrong.
    good for you ! and mean that, but I did say given the right circumstance's, some people don't know what they are capable of until they are forced into something life threatening.

Godfather.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

yah, I don't think so
    If it was one of your kids he had his way with I am sure you may just get a little thirsty.
    Wouldn't want to be wrong on this opinion.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

yah, I don't think so
    If it was one of your kids he had his way with I am sure you may just get a little thirsty.
    No, that is not how I roll. Not everyone turns to violence.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

yah, I don't think so
    Ok,
    So honestly can you please state what you personally feel his punishment should be?
    Forget our laws, justice system et al.
    What do you want done with this guy?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

yah, I don't think so
    Ok,
    So honestly can you please state what you personally feel his punishment should be?
    Prison and chemical castration.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

yah, I don't think so
    Ok,
    Prison for how long?
  • Options
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

yah, I don't think so
    Ok,
    Prison for how long?
    Preferably for the rest of his natural born life, if we're just choosing whatever punishment we want. If we're talking realistically, it should be say 5 - 10 years, but with monitored chemical castration for the rest of his life (as I think should be done with ALL people convicted of a (valid) sex crime).
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,189
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

yah, I don't think so
    Ok,
    violence comes in many forms, your words can create violence and chemical castration ?....ouch !
    you're absolutely right not everybody turns to violence but many of them are very capable of creating violence, BTW castration does not remove the desire's of sexual pleasure, a freak without a penis is still a freak who can not control his urges and desires and will still commit sexual crimes...I recommend a lobotomy, the brain is key here.
    the fact that you recommend castration displays a need for violence, your move.

Godfather.

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

yah, I don't think so
    Ok,
    violence comes in many forms, your words can create violence and chemical castration ?....ouch !
    you're absolutely right not everybody turns to violence but many of them are very capable of creating violence, BTW castration does not remove the desire's of sexual pleasure, a freak without a penis is still a freak who can not control his urges and desires and will still commit sexual crimes...I recommend a lobotomy, the brain is key here.
    the fact that you recommend castration displays a need for violence, your move.

Godfather.

Do you know what chemical castration means? It's a non-specific term referring to the use of a variety of different anti-androgen medications to reduce sex drive and sexual function. It doesn't refer to removing the penis, or any organ at all. It's not perfect, of course, but in fact does reduce "urges and desires" and thereby reduces sexual reoffending. It is also reversible once the medication is stopped. I don't see where the violence is here, any more than if someone were taking insulin for diabetes.