Options

9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    fife said:

A mother of one of the victims said to this scum bag "I forgive you, my god have mercy on you. I forgive you."

So powerful.

just don't know what to say about this. she is a stronger person than me
    I was watching live on TV when she said that and I don't mean any disrespect or anything but I didn't find it powerful and I don't think she's strong. It might look that way, but to me it's just learned behaviour from the bible, which I don't believe in at all. I think she's denying her true feelings in a way because she has learned/been taught to forgive. I'm not saying hat someone can't eventually forgive someone for something even this horrendous, but less than 48 hours later? The normal/natural reaction is not to forgive, it goes against human nature. It's like some cultures, such as Vietnamese, they're taught not to cry when a loved one dies. Fuck that. I'll cry. And if someone murdered a loved one in cold blood I'd be fucking angry. I wouldn't be sitting there saying "I forgive you." This POS doesn't even care. If he was there in the courtroom and someone handed him a gun he would've walked over to that woman after she said that and gunned her down, too. So it's just an abnormal response learned from the bible and in my opinion it's just bullshit, with all due respect. I wasn't moved at all. In fact, I had to mute the tv because I couldn't even bring myself to listen to it. And don't even get me started on that judge. He actually said, in front of all those grieving family members, that the family of the racist murdering scum bag were victims that needed considering too. What a fucking asshole! I would have lost my mind in that courtroom if I was a family member of one of the victims. Are you fucking kidding me!? Sorry for the long rant and the fact it's all one paragraph. Just had to keep typing and get it all out.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    ^^^
    Don't be sorry for your "long rant".
    Forgiving someone for killing your family because your religion dictates you?
    That's fucked.
    Carry on.
    Fucking psycho of a human.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    We're on the outside; no need for any of us to be sorry for our rants or comments (but you've gotta expect reactions).

I'm not sure that religion itself commands some going where I cannot fathom - then again, I've never been in that position. So...no way I could or would decry such a gracious and perhaps needful way of reacting to this. By someone SO CLOSE.

It's not my place to belittle how a human being is trying to...BE...through this. Coming to terms with such trauma. It can't be too much to cut her a break if that's what is getting her through this horror. It could be her own sense of what's right for her - not blind faith, but her own faith. This will be fresher and rawer for her than any of us, and I find it presumptuous and a bit dismissive to assume otherwise.

And, the asshole who committed this crime is the one who is fucked. A victim of the asshole (too nice a term, by the way) trying to find peace being called fucked? That in itself - to me - is fucked up.

Also, please keep in mind this went down at a church. During bible study. Of course religion will factor in. May that, and whatever else helps to heal, keep on truckin.

The fuck am I to say otherwise?
  • Options
    Fuck that hedo.
    I am scared of any person that can forgive a person that kills. Let alone a member of my family.
  • Options
    Just like any animal on this planet... I'd defend my family to a death (mine or the assailant's).

If a mushroom headed mutant went and randomly murdered one of my family members for shits and giggles... well... let's just say of all the things I would be thinking of doing... I wouldn't be thinking about 'forgiving him'. Pain I couldn't imagine.

The judge shouldn't have been talking about this creep's parents as victims. He should have been questioning the degree to which they are complicit in this event with their negligent parenting efforts.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Well...I myself can't imagine being so forgiving (fuck knows it's taken me a long time to let go of lesser personal offenses), but I simply can't discount someone who IS able to do so. If that's what helps her even short-term? So be it.

Not being able to think of myself being in such a position to do that takes nothing from my admiration from those who can.

For the record, I have no sympathy for this less-than-piece of shit.
  • Options
    After the short-term forgiveness ends for her, what's next?

• Options
    hedonist said:

Well...I myself can't imagine being so forgiving (fuck knows it's taken me a long time to let go of lesser personal offenses), but I simply can't discount someone who IS able to do so. If that's what helps her even short-term? So be it.

Not being able to think of myself being in such a position to do that takes nothing from my admiration from those who can.

Whatever gets people through their day, Hedo. I'm hearing everything you're saying and it's all good from my perspective.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I get what Hedo's saying. I don't know the woman who said it, I didn't see the footage, this is the first I've heard of it. But while we might be familiar with that kind of forgiveness as a Christian religious concept it's hardly just them. It's a very Zen thing too. I'd also speculate that she ain't saying she's not mad at him, nor is she giving him some kind of pass, but rather trying to let go of her anger. You know when you're really super pissed and you realize the person you're pissed at is so far beneath yoy that they're not worth the energy required to feel anger so you just walk away? I'd imagine that by saying "I forgive you" she's making a gesture of taking the high road, 'you tried to hurt me, you wanted to anger me and my people and start a race war, and I'm not gonna give you that power. I'm not gonna let you have that, not gonna give you my anger, my fury, my reaction. I forgive you, you get none of the hate you sought out of me.'

Again I don't know her. She might be quoting Jesus, I really don't know. But I mean Jesus (the bible) ain't been around longer than the philosophical concept of the high road. So even if that is where she's getting it from I see no harm in it since the principle remains the same.

I'm sure she's pissed as hell but her words to me sound like an act of defiance. And I'm with Hedo on this point too, if she's got the grace to handle it like that (publicly mind you) more fucking power to her. I've seen myself in a situation where grief and wrongdoing where factors and it wasn't pretty. I'm not a violent person at all but there is a primal instinctive reactionary violence in me that scares the fucking bejesus out of me - and if that lady is able to overcome that and stand up and hold her head high and say "no. You do not deserve my anger. Have some forgiveness instead (cuz that's the opposite of what you were going for)." Then more fucking power to her. And also can I have some lessons?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,776
    ldent42 said:

I get what Hedo's saying. I don't know the woman who said it, I didn't see the footage, this is the first I've heard of it. But while we might be familiar with that kind of forgiveness as a Christian religious concept it's hardly just them. It's a very Zen thing too. I'd also speculate that she ain't saying she's not mad at him, nor is she giving him some kind of pass, but rather trying to let go of her anger. You know when you're really super pissed and you realize the person you're pissed at is so far beneath yoy that they're not worth the energy required to feel anger so you just walk away? I'd imagine that by saying "I forgive you" she's making a gesture of taking the high road, 'you tried to hurt me, you wanted to anger me and my people and start a race war, and I'm not gonna give you that power. I'm not gonna let you have that, not gonna give you my anger, my fury, my reaction. I forgive you, you get none of the hate you sought out of me.'

Again I don't know her. She might be quoting Jesus, I really don't know. But I mean Jesus (the bible) ain't been around longer than the philosophical concept of the high road. So even if that is where she's getting it from I see no harm in it since the principle remains the same.

I'm sure she's pissed as hell but her words to me sound like an act of defiance. And I'm with Hedo on this point too, if she's got the grace to handle it like that (publicly mind you) more fucking power to her. I've seen myself in a situation where grief and wrongdoing where factors and it wasn't pretty. I'm not a violent person at all but there is a primal instinctive reactionary violence in me that scares the fucking bejesus out of me - and if that lady is able to overcome that and stand up and hold her head high and say "no. You do not deserve my anger. Have some forgiveness instead (cuz that's the opposite of what you were going for)." Then more fucking power to her. And also can I have some lessons?

Good thoughts there, Ident. I'm not sure I understand that kind of forgiveness but I think you and Hedo are saying is that maybe there is a power some posses in being able to hold back their anger and not give it over to the perpetrator. I kind of doubt most of us have that or can do that but there might be something to learn there.

One of the questions that surely will arise from all of this is what is the best response to all this as in, how do we reign in the kind of hatred and bigotry that lead to this sort of thing? To my way of thinking it's surely not through reckless violence but neither through passive acceptance. It seems to me there has to be some very powerful resistance to this kind of hatred. I'm thinking about the film "Selma" with it's excellent depiction of the work of MLK, the thoughts and actions of Malcolm X in his later days, the work of SNCC and other Civil Rights groups. A new civil war of some kind is what that deranged kid is hoping for. He should get no war of any kind, but rather strong, determined, powerful resistance.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    brianlux said:

ldent42 said:

Good thoughts there, Ident. I'm not sure I understand that kind of forgiveness but I think you and Hedo are saying is that maybe there is a power some posses in being able to hold back their anger and not give it over to the perpetrator. I kind of doubt most of us have that or can do that but there might be something to learn there.

One of the questions that surely will arise from all of this is what is the best response to all this as in, how do we reign in the kind of hatred and bigotry that lead to this sort of thing? To my way of thinking it's surely not through reckless violence but neither through passive acceptance. It seems to me there has to be some very powerful resistance to this kind of hatred. I'm thinking about the film "Selma" with it's excellent depiction of the work of MLK, the thoughts and actions of Malcolm X in his later days, the work of SNCC and other Civil Rights groups. A new civil war of some kind is what that deranged kid is hoping for. He should get no war of any kind, but rather strong, determined, powerful resistance.

Exactly, and responding to him with "forgiveness" which is generally speaking (and from what I can understand biblically speaking) an act of "love" is like the ultimate defiant gesture. Remember, fire cannot be fought with fire, it must be fought with water - likewise fighting hate with hate or anger is pointless, the only cure (counterbalance) to hate, is love.

And ty, B-lux. :)

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

After the short-term forgiveness ends for her, what's next?

Healing, acceptance, moving on??
  • Options

fife said:

A mother of one of the victims said to this scum bag "I forgive you, my god have mercy on you. I forgive you."

So powerful.

just don't know what to say about this. she is a stronger person than me
    I was watching live on TV when she said that and I don't mean any disrespect or anything but I didn't find it powerful and I don't think she's strong. It might look that way, but to me it's just learned behaviour from the bible, which I don't believe in at all. I think she's denying her true feelings in a way because she has learned/been taught to forgive. I'm not saying hat someone can't eventually forgive someone for something even this horrendous, but less than 48 hours later? The normal/natural reaction is not to forgive, it goes against human nature. It's like some cultures, such as Vietnamese, they're taught not to cry when a loved one dies. Fuck that. I'll cry. And if someone murdered a loved one in cold blood I'd be fucking angry. I wouldn't be sitting there saying "I forgive you." This POS doesn't even care. If he was there in the courtroom and someone handed him a gun he would've walked over to that woman after she said that and gunned her down, too. So it's just an abnormal response learned from the bible and in my opinion it's just bullshit, with all due respect. I wasn't moved at all. In fact, I had to mute the tv because I couldn't even bring myself to listen to it. And don't even get me started on that judge. He actually said, in front of all those grieving family members, that the family of the racist murdering scum bag were victims that needed considering too. What a fucking asshole! I would have lost my mind in that courtroom if I was a family member of one of the victims. Are you fucking kidding me!? Sorry for the long rant and the fact it's all one paragraph. Just had to keep typing and get it all out.
    I wholeheartedly disagree with most of your post. I do agree with what you said about the magistrate judge. What a piece of shit that guy is.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

If someone killing a member of your family doesn't deserve loud and vehement anger what does?
    Forgiving acts such as that is called living in a fog not zen.
    Wake up.
  • Options
    "We welcomed you Wednesday night in our Bible study with open arms. You have killed some of the most beautiful people that I know. Every fiber in my body hurts, and I'll never be the same. But, as we said in that bible study, we enjoyed you. And now may God have mercy on you."
    Felicia Sanders, mother of Tywanza Sanders and survivor of the massacre.

I know we like to act like we will feel a certain way if this kind of tragedy hits us closely. While some of you may have had this kind of horror in your life, most of us havent. I am not a religious person. I do not believe in god. But in no way will I tell these people how to cope with the trauma they have experienced. The utter horror. Honestly, I can't believe some of you would criticize forgiveness. Maybe it is the natural reaction humans should have to tragedy. How are you so sure that rage, anger, and vengeance is supposed to come first?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,942
    just want to make sure I am clear on what folks are saying. The way to overcome hate is to hate? Gotcha. Judging how someone is making their way through the loss of family and friends is kinda fucked up in my lowly opinion.

my sister was raped at 14. hung jury trial. dead by suicide month and a half before her 16th birthday. My father had the opportunity to have this man killed(childhood friend of mine currently doing 33 years before parole possible for murder, who offered to do this). He refused as he couldnt have it on his conscience. I ,on the otherhand, carried a deep and abiding hatred of the man and his family and friends for 18 years as well as myself for not "defending her after the fact". Did nothing but keep me stuck in a very dark place I now refuse to go back to for anything. EVER.

in my view, the people who are willing to forgive will still feel to the depths of their core the hurt and pain, which is bad enough, without adding the burden that hate and sustained anger adds.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I understand both sides pretty well.
    People should be free to deal with this as they please and forgiveness is the path to freedom from a heinous act like this.
    On the other hand, I do feel like this forgiveness being given might not be genuine. It is good for representing your religion and trying to move forward, but it doesn't come off as particularly genuine to me. Accept your anger, express it healthily and move toward forgiveness.
    But like I said, everyone deals in their own way and it is good for the larger conversation to be so gentle and not stir the anger of outsiders.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I am glad that the world/USA has forgiven the perpetrators of 911 and expresses no anger.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

I am glad that the world/USA has forgiven the perpetrators of 911 and expresses no anger.

Good point. I am one of those still angry over 9/11. But I didn't say I was any better than the victims of this massacre. My point is that these people shouldn't be criticized for dealing with this horror the only way they know how to. All of these people are angry. I do think their feelings of forgiveness are genuine. That doesn't make them any less angry or hurt.

What I know is that this crime was an act of pure hate and evil. And these people will not allow the hate he had to breed and fester inside of them.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    mickeyrat said:

just want to make sure I am clear on what folks are saying. The way to overcome hate is to hate? Gotcha. Judging how someone is making their way through the loss of family and friends is kinda fucked up in my lowly opinion.

my sister was raped at 14. hung jury trial. dead by suicide month and a half before her 16th birthday. My father had the opportunity to have this man killed(childhood friend of mine currently doing 33 years before parole possible for murder, who offered to do this). He refused as he couldnt have it on his conscience. I ,on the otherhand, carried a deep and abiding hatred of the man and his family and friends for 18 years as well as myself for not "defending her after the fact". Did nothing but keep me stuck in a very dark place I now refuse to go back to for anything. EVER.

in my view, the people who are willing to forgive will still feel to the depths of their core the hurt and pain, which is bad enough, without adding the burden that hate and sustained anger adds.

Wow, that's some shit right there. Saying sorry to hear just doesn't do it.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I really do admire their determination to stop the hatred in it's tracks! Hatred walked out of Charleston with this sick fucker, I hope it lasts as long as possible.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I've seen this community band together before. The Charleston 9 fire did this very same thing as well. The 8 year anniversary (which was rightfully put on the back burner) was 6-18-07. But this community showed nothing but love and respect for each other during that time. So what is going on now does not surprise me at all. If you look early in this thread, when they were still hunting this scum bag, I said that the people here will make sure these families and this community would be taken care of.
  • Options
    this is the operating definition I believe these folks are working from. while it may also stem from religious conviction , it doesn't negate this possibility.

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/topic/forgiveness/definition
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    A strong community will always love and support each other in times of sorrow. That is its job. I certainly won't suggest what kind of coping method people should have but articles like this make me even more stoic in my belief that this religious coping method is wrong.
    "My family forgive you but we would like to take this opportunity to repent, to confess and give your life to the one who matters the most, Christ," said the family of Myra Thompson, 59. "Do that and you’ll be OK."
    come on, really?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11687976/Charleston-church-massacre-suspect-They-were-so-kind-I-almost-stopped.html

The fog is heavy in their mourning minds. You can't possible forgive this in such a short period of time. Impossible.
    Jon Stewart nailed it when he said something to the effect of "We will do jack shit about this"

Forgive and move on.
    Whatever.
  • Options

A strong community will always love and support each other in times of sorrow. That is its job. I certainly won't suggest what kind of coping method people should have but articles like this make me even more stoic in my belief that this religious coping method is wrong.
    "My family forgive you but we would like to take this opportunity to repent, to confess and give your life to the one who matters the most, Christ," said the family of Myra Thompson, 59. "Do that and you’ll be OK."
    come on, really?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11687976/Charleston-church-massacre-suspect-They-were-so-kind-I-almost-stopped.html

The fog is heavy in their mourning minds. You can't possible forgive this in such a short period of time. Impossible.
    Jon Stewart nailed it when he said something to the effect of "We will do jack shit about this"

Forgive and move on.
    Whatever.

note the last part of this article

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/topic/forgiveness/definition#how_to_cultivate

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    hedonist said:

I agree with you here hedo, for the time being if giving this guy forgiveness for his crimes gives her peace for time being then so be it. I've never been in her situation but I've come close and to this day I find it impossible to give forgiveness to things that has happened 15 and 35 years ago. Even the motto that I live by, my avatar g under p would NOT help me keep my cool in those two situations. I STILL can't fathom how a mother could abuse her own child for her selfish reasons and I probably will never forgive her. Also if I ever find that family member who did what he did to my sister, I'll probably never would be able to post here again.....my fist will be going through his head. This coming from a person who despises violence, sometimes it's hard very hard to leave things to karma.

Some people when these tragedies occur handle it by hurting themselves or someone else. Just to get a bit of relief from the stress, grief, some seek forgiveness and some seek revenge. Her seeking forgiveness for this mans crime probably gives her the strength to carry on. Maybe even strengths her faith to do so. This crime does have a religious side to it in that it occurred in a church during bible study. Man if one can't seek refuge in the sanctity of a church then where can one in hell.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    ldent42 said:

Exactly, and responding to him with "forgiveness" which is generally speaking (and from what I can understand biblically speaking) an act of "love" is like the ultimate defiant gesture. Remember, fire cannot be fought with fire, it must be fought with water - likewise fighting hate with hate or anger is pointless, the only cure (counterbalance) to hate, is love

So how come, even after they welcomed him to their bible study with open arms and treated him so nicely, did he still decide to gun them all down? That didn't stop him, did it? He had a whole hour to change his mind. A whole hour in their presence to feel their warmth and to see the kind of big hearted and loving people for who they were. Apparently he nearly didn't go through with it because they were so nice to him. But in the end that didn't stop him. In fact, when he was walking away after the murders, he was overheard using racial epitaphs by one or more of the survivors. He was still consumed with hatred and racism.

So your above comments, which sound nice, just don't ring true. It's a nice thought that only love can conquer hate and you can't fight fire with fire, but in my opinion it's a bunch of hippie bullshit. Bible prayer bullshit. It doesn't work that way. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. Sometimes you have to stand up and confront evil head on. These people should be angry. And they have every right to be angry. Not just for the cold blooded murder of their family members, but for the entire history of black people in that country and the fact that this amount of hate and racism still exists for them to this day and age. What more do they have to endure? And to add insult to injury, they still fly the Confederate flag in their faces. They shouldn't be asking that the flag come down- they should March right up to it and rip it down themselves. And then burn it.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Even the JUDGE is racist. I read about it last night. A few years ago he was reprimanded for using the n-word in court. He said, to a black defendant, "there are four types of people in the world - black people, white people, rednecks and niggers." The judge said this! And now this is the same judge presiding over this hate crime against a black church perpetrated by a racist bigot wanting to start a race war?? He sat in court yesterday and told the victim's family members that the defendant's family members were victims and were going to need help too!? Just appalling. I'd be outraged at the judge, let alone the racist murdering scumbag.

Post edited by The Waiting Trophy Man on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    That fucking judge wanted his 15 minutes of fame. What a complete douche bag. Fortunately, this is the last time he will be seen in this case.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,325
    So what do you think the correct response should be , Hate what does that do for you it doesn't bring any dead back to life I find this person to be way stronger than me for her forgiveness ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....