Options

9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    badbrains said:

Heard they burned the U.S. Flag in Charleston today.

I was in class all day for work, but I heard this was a group pissed off about the confederate flag. But I am NOT sure about that.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,726
    Huh. Well that seems like a stupid way to protest this particular issue. Oh well.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,990

badbrains said:

I was in class all day for work, but I heard this was a group pissed off about the confederate flag. But I am NOT sure about that.
    One truth about this country is that no matter where you look there are always stupid people willing to do stupid things. North and South do have that in common.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,194
    JimmyV said:

badbrains said:

One truth about this country is that no matter where you look there are always stupid people willing to do stupid things. North and South do have that in common.
    You might say we are united states...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited June 2015

badbrains said:

not sure if this was the one you heard about. http://www.abcnews4.com/story/29392262/protesters-burned-american-confederate-flags-in-marion-square-sunday
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Flag discussion aside for a moment, have to say that this community is fucking amazing. To grieve, to mourn, with such grace, unison and resolution...hats off to them.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    PJ_Soul said:

I saw some jackass on CNN start babbling about how President Lincoln didn't actually support ending slavery right along with the South, and therefore there is nothing wrong with the confederate flag being flown today. image And this was an educated man (in charge of a group called Sons of the Confederate Army or something like that - some kind of historical society). Educated or not, when it comes to this issue, some people seem to abandon logic and reason completely.

Well, if you want to get technical about it, Lincoln wasn't exactly an abolitionist, and that is where the story gets twisted around. Even the Emancipation Proclamation was a military tactic, and timed perfectly to further dampen the morale of the rebellion after their loss at Antietam. It even exempted four states from having to adhere to it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of Lincoln...I mean to the point that my wife worries sometimes about my love of studying this man. However, even though I revere him, I'm also a realist and have come to realize he wasn't the God-like savior that some of the history books have made him out to be. But back in that time, no one really fought on one side or the other for or against slavery. No one was throwing themselves into battle...facing down cannons loaded with grapeshot...with the mindset of "I'm freeing the slaves"...or... "I'm fighting so we can keep slaves". That is utter nonsense. Lincoln may not have agreed with slavery for moral reasons, but the Constitution had provisions to protect it.

A couple of nuggets that people often don't realize is, he had no intention of giving slaves social or political equality. He didn't feel that African-American's were equal to, or should ever be equal to, "the white race". And that was the attitude of many, actually most, whites both North and South. That is just how it was back then, and it is impossible for many of us to even comprehend today.

He also had planned on shipping freed African Americans out of the country, and having them colonize parts of Central America and Africa. He had the same mindset that many had shared at that time, which was African Americans and Whites could not live together in peace.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I wasn't trying to say that Lincoln was an abolitionist. I'm aware he was wishy-washy on that subject at best. My point was that the other guy's point was illogical when it comes to justifying the confederate flag today.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    Oh you're exactly right on that point. People are idiots though and they will twist half-truths around to suit their needs for anything.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,114
    hedonist said:

Flag discussion aside for a moment, have to say that this community is fucking amazing. To grieve, to mourn, with such grace, unison and resolution...hats off to them.

I agree. The Charleston community really banded together in the face of a tragedy (2 tragedies, actually if you include the Walter Scott shooting) that could have easily become the next Ferguson-type situation.

While it wasn't held at the best location, the Bridge to Peace was pretty inspiring.
    http://www.refinery29.com/2015/06/89531/bridge-to-peace-march-photos
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Don't know if this has been talked about yet.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,863
    badbrains said:

Don't know if this has been talked about yet.

I can only find scant info on these incidences. More serious shit for sure but it seems these attacks are being avoided, overlooked or out right ignored by news media. Bad shit going down, for sure.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,194
    Has the 5th been confirmed? What I have seen is one is still under investigation as a possible electrical fire.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

hedonist said:

I agree. The Charleston community really banded together in the face of a tragedy (2 tragedies, actually if you include the Walter Scott shooting) that could have easily become the next Ferguson-type situation.

While it wasn't held at the best location, the Bridge to Peace was pretty inspiring.
    The real difference is just that a cop didn't shoot these people. If one had, then obviously we'd be seeing a completely different story playing out. Black communities don't just riot and protest whenever a black person is murdered. They riot and protest when the people who are supposed to be protecting them are murdering them instead, with the government's support.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,114
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

The real difference is just that a cop didn't shoot these people. If one had, then obviously we'd be seeing a completely different story playing out. Black communities don't just riot and protest whenever a black person is murdered. They riot and protest when the people who are supposed to be protecting them are murdering them instead, with the government's support.
    That was exactly the Walter Scott situation though. There was a very real worry that the 2 events occurring so close together would just boil down into one very nasty reaction. Some people tried to combine them together, but the majority of Charleston chose peace, forgiveness, and love.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Another black church burnt down. 6 in 2 weeks.
    Some black rioters burn a CVS and the whole mediasphere explodes on the thugs. 6 black churches burnt down and it's crickets.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    rgambs said:

Another black church burnt down. 6 in 2 weeks.
    Some black rioters burn a CVS and the whole mediasphere explodes on the thugs. 6 black churches burnt down and it's crickets.

They are still investigating this fire. A line of severe storms ripped through this area just prior to the fire being reported. Lightning could have started this. Here is the lightning strike map for the area yesterday evening.

Never mind. I don't know why it won't come up.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    Early official reports are saying this was not arson.
  • Options

Still though... a lot of coincidence, eh?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Sure. But if that picture I tried to post would have came up, you would have saw thousands of lightning strikes within 30 miles of that church.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    God strikes churches with lightning???? Shame c
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

Sure. But if that picture I tried to post would have came up, you would have saw thousands of lightning strikes within 30 miles of that church.
    I'm not doubting you, man.

As much as I counter RG at times, he's raised a legitimate point that is certainly worth considering.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    callen said:

God must support the Confederate flag. ;)
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Aren't there several that HAVE been ruled arson? I will look it up later if nobody beats me to it.
    So sad, the violence in the world.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Aren't there several that HAVE been ruled arson? I will look it up later if nobody beats me to it.
    So sad, the violence in the world.

I know at least one has been ruled arson.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,588
    On average at least 1 house of worship burns down every day in America.
    A good percentage are insurance related arson.
    Some are lightning
    Some are electrical
    A small percentage are hatred related arson
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Maybe the correct god is Mormon.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Maybe the correct god is Mormon.
    I don't think Mormon is the name of the god, I think it's the name of one of their prophets.

At least that's how it seemed when I saw The Book of Mormon musical in New York, so that's pretty authoritative, right?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Was referring to South Park episode. Paraphrased.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    callen said:

Was referring to South Park episode. Paraphrased.

Whoops, sorry, but The Book of Mormon is the same root source as South Park anyway, so I get points for that...
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf