Options

9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I didn't see that much press at the Charleston 9 fire. They had the calhoun street side walk across the street from the church closed off to pedestrians because of all of the news crews. There were 3 crews in front of me when I was off to the right of the church. One was doing a live feed. It was for a Spanish station.

With all of the people there, it seemed to be so quiet. I am surprised they didn't close the road to road traffic. One lane was closed directly in front of the church. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't even hear the cars. I barely heard people talking. Maybe I was in my own little zone.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Jason P said:

I see a lot of articles where the rest of the world is in shock about violence in America. I say to the rest of the world: Don't throw stones in a glass house.

Once you guys no longer need razor wire and riot police to host a soccer match, then we can talk.

I don't know if that is fair. i think people can be shocked about the violence in any country even if there is violence in their country.

for last 20, that last picture is so sober. makes you realize that at the end of the day yes we people can be really pissed off about thing but there are familes behind their tragic things.
  • Options
    My wife wondered if they would open the church up for this Sundays service. I said I wouldn't think they would. This is still an active crime scene. I think.
  • Options
    I'm sorry for several posts in a row, but I keep remembering things now that I'm back home and processing this. But we walked around the block to the parking lot of that church. It was literally gut wrenching to see the spot where this scum bag entered this building.
  • Options
    I don't know where this billboard is, but it is blowing up my wife's fb feed and it's from the gun nuts. I'm sorry to tell you folks, but if they had done an autopsy on Abel, the cause of death would be blunt force trauma from fucking rock. Not cain did it.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    That is just sad. And idiotic.
    Would Cain have been able to kill 9 people and walk away safely with a rock?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
  • Options
    A mother of one of the victims said to this scum bag "I forgive you, my god have mercy on you. I forgive you."

So powerful.
  • Options

I don't know where this billboard is, but it is blowing up my wife's fb feed and it's from the gun nuts. I'm sorry to tell you folks, but if they had done an autopsy on Abel, the cause of death would be blunt force trauma from fucking rock. Not cain did it.

please tell me this is not a new bill board since yesterday. you should also tell these people that cain and abel didn't fucken exist
  • Options

A mother of one of the victims said to this scum bag "I forgive you, my god have mercy on you. I forgive you."

So powerful.

just don't know what to say about this. she is a stronger person than me
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

I am pretty sure he didn't have access to a gun....
    or else he probably would've used it.
    these fucking people are so ignorant- it is unbelievable.
    rgambs said:

That is just sad. And idiotic.
    Would Cain have been able to kill 9 people and walk away safely with a rock?

EXACTLY!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922

Oh man, that last picture is like a punch to the stomach.

Thank you for sharing those.

+1

I've been trying for two days to come up with words that reflect how I feel. Can't do it. Over and over...can't do it.

I love the Carolinas, know some great people there, have never had a bad experience there. You are all in my thoughts.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    JimmyV said:

Oh man, that last picture is like a punch to the stomach.

Thank you for sharing those.

+1

I've been trying for two days to come up with words that reflect how I feel. Can't do it. Over and over...can't do it.

I love the Carolinas, know some great people there, have never had a bad experience there. You are all in my thoughts.

They caught the sorry bastard about an hour from my house.
    Very disturbing to think that he was possibly heading this way.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    So, just found out that the reason the Confederate flag did not get lowered to half staff is because it can't be touched by state law unless 2/3 of the house agree to it.

Apparently, when the deal was struck to remove it from on top of the Capitol building and move it elsewhere on the state house lawn, the deal included that it could not be touched without this vote. Who was it earlier saying this state isn't full of racists?
  • Options
    was just watching the daily show when John Oliver went to Australia to see there their gun laws. this is the thing i remember from that show. while talking to a government official in the usa, they said that the #1 job is to get re-elected. the austrailia said that the #1 job is too make society a better place.

too bad many politicians don't think that way. just imagine what this world would look like
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    fife said:

So powerful.

I feel the same way.

And yes, so very powerful - just hearing her voice as she spoke those words got me.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,805
    edited June 2015
    Since I have started my new account at work I have had the task of delivering to Ct several times. I hadn't written this before now, but passing the exit signs for Newtown AND Sandy Hook (at the same exit) I have been given pause. Real hard not to think of what happened there and wonder at what the body count HAS to be before something changes us.

Anymore I resign myself to the apparent fact it will never be enough and cycnically I post now about how the ongoing blood payment to Liberty is paid. I kinda doubt this is what The Framers of the Constitution had in mind when it was drafted.

good article in Vox today.....

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/19/8807851/mass-shootings-gun-control-charleston
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Obama repeated it so I think it's worth repeating:
    "You don't see violence, with this kind of frequency, in any other advanced country. Every country has violence, crime, and mentally unstable people. What they don't have is a wash of readily available guns."
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

Obama repeated it so I think it's worth repeating:
    "You don't see violence, with this kind of frequency, in any other advanced country. Every country has violence, crime, and mentally unstable people. What they don't have is a wash of readily available guns."

This is why teabaggers need to read the actual 2nd amendment instead of "right to bear arms." It's not so black and white as they believe.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited June 2015
    fife said:

So powerful.

Same here, and frankly, I don't think I even find this attitude impressive. The only reason I don't go on a bit of a rant when I see comments like this is because I don't want to insult a person who just lost someone and is trying to cope any way she can.

Anyway, I think that's great you took your kids to the church Last-12-Exit. THAT is powerful, IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    There is one thing the south has that the north doesn't. Yes sir and no sir. Everybody says it down here. This scum bag when answering the judges questions was answering him with yes sirs and no sirs. You don't hear that in the north.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

fife said:

So powerful.

Same here, and frankly, I don't think I even find this attitude impressive. The only reason I don't go on a bit of a rant when I see comments like this is because I don't want to insult a person who just lost someone and is trying to cope any way she can.

Anyway, I think that's great you took your kids to the church Last-12-Exit. THAT is powerful, IMO.
    Thank you.
    This woman also said she has no room for hatin'. How can you not be impressed by someone who says this less than 48 hours after losing her son? I'm not religious, I've always thought people use religion as a crutch. Well in this case, if this is what gets them through this, it's not really that bad.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    edited June 2015

PJ_Soul said:

fife said:

So powerful.

This woman also said she has no room for hatin'. How can you not be impressed by someone who says this less than 48 hours after losing her son? I'm not religious, I've always thought people use religion as a crutch. Well in this case, if this is what gets them through this, it's not really that bad.
    What can I say? I just don't. I fully understand why people do, and do understand that this is a crutch that some people need.... I just think of it in a different way (the term delusional fits in there somewhere). I know it's not a very generous sentiment on my part. But I still think it. Can't help it. Not that I would say it to a person's face if they expressed the sentiment, and not that someone saying it makes me feel any less sympathetic to what they're going through. Not at all. And having no room for hating is a good thing, absolutely. The whole forgiveness thing is, in my mind, on a different level.

Anyhoo, this isn't the right thread for expanding this debate, probably. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,805
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

fife said:

So powerful.

What can I say? I just don't. I fully understand why people do, and do understand that this is a crutch that some people need.... I just think of it in a different way (the term delusional fits in there somewhere). I know it's not a very generous sentiment on my part. But I still think it. Can't help it. Not that I would say it to a person's face if they expressed the sentiment, and not that someone saying it makes me feel any less sympathetic to what they're going through. Not at all. And having no room for hating is a good thing, absolutely. The whole forgiveness thing is, in my mind, on a different level.

for whatever its worth, forgiveness has never truely been about the benefit of the one being forgiven but about the benefit of the one doing the forgiving.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I'm not sure how I didn't hear this before, but the woman that faked being dead was the mother of the 26 year old. She watched her son die and laid in his blood as she pretended to be dead. I can't imagine that horror. This turns me from sadness to shear anger and rage. It's unbelievable.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

fife said:

So powerful.

Without forgiveness, there is absolutely no hope for humanity. I'm so grateful that people like this woman exist. All the rest of us screaming for vengeance -- from the death penalty to "I hope he has Vaseline in jail" -- we are the ones I worry about.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I can only speak for myself, but I am not a vengeful person. All I care about is that everyone is safe and that the beliefs and problems behind crimes like this are kept from spreading and growing in young minds. Not forgiving doesn't necessarily = vengeance. But it is too bad so many people think it does, I absolutely agree with you there.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    thanks for posting the pics and thanks for the updates last-12. i've been thinking about you guys all day. i am glad that your community is coming together. a divided community could make this even worse. i don't know if you had said before, but just curious, how old are your kids? I am just wondering if they are old enough to grasp what happened and if they are able to process it all. if they are smaller i am sure they will have questions later on. i know they will learn from a good dad.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    i read that the governor wants to seek the death penalty. i also read that she would be interested in discussing removing the confederate flag. unfortunately i don't think that flag is going anywhere.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options