9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Some powerful photos of the vigil held for the victims:

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article24925717.html
  • Options
    American Racism is something else
    It is odd since being in this thread that I find it quite enjoyable that my children play with my antiquated general lee hot wheels car that I had when I was growing up.
    The Dukes of Hazzard as I remember was a cool show with guys jumping in and out of a car.

This confederate flag thing is just that - a flag.
    Why does USA recognize 2 flags?

I
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126

It is odd since being in this thread that I find it quite enjoyable that my children play with my antiquated general lee hot wheels car that I had when I was growing up.
    The Dukes of Hazzard as I remember was a cool show with guys jumping in and out of a car.

I

It doesn't, that recognition of the confederate in SC is only on the state level. It is not recognized nationally. I do wonder is SC the only state that has this flag fly over its state capital?

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    It's been amazing seeing the companies donate money to the families. Raycom media, Boeing, the carolina panthers, the city of Charleston, and many others have donated. The church will be in service today. Church bells across the nation at 10am will be ringing.
  • Options
    g under p said:

I

It doesn't, that recognition of the confederate in SC is only on the state level. It is not recognized nationally. I do wonder is SC the only state that has this flag fly over its state capital?

Peace

It's not flying over the capital. It was removed from the top of the capital dome in 2000 and relocated to a monument for Confederate soldiers on the state house grounds. Not that this is any better though because it is actually more visible now since it's at a prominent intersection in Columbia. I was in favor of removing it from state House grounds altogether and putting it in a Confederate or Civil War museum.

The Mississippi state flag incorporates the Confederate battle flag in its design. The Georgia state flag uses the Confederacy's first national flag along with the state seal in the top left corner.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

g under p said:

I

Peace

It's not flying over the capital. It was removed from the top of the capital dome in 2000 and relocated to a monument for Confederate soldiers on the state house grounds. Not that this is any better though because it is actually more visible now since it's at a prominent intersection in Columbia. I was in favor of removing it from state House grounds altogether and putting it in a Confederate or Civil War museum.

The Mississippi state flag incorporates the Confederate battle flag in its design. The Georgia state flag uses the Confederacy's first national flag along with the state seal in the top left corner.
    I didn't have a preference back in 2000. I had only been down here for a year by then. Now, I agree with obama. It should be in a museum. Say that to any random south carolinian, and they will look at you like you are raping their first born.
  • Options

g under p said:

I

Peace

I didn't have a preference back in 2000. I had only been down here for a year by then. Now, I agree with obama. It should be in a museum. Say that to any random south carolinian, and they will look at you like you are raping their first born.
    I was 17 and in high school then. At the time, I was of the "I can see both arguments" camp and slightly favored removing it. Wasn't until I went to USC and really thought about the issue that I formed a real opinion and felt it needed to be in a museum. I still understand both sides of the argument, but with the amount of hate and violence perpetrated behind that flag can't support it being flown anywhere.
  • Options

g under p said:

I

Peace

I was 17 and in high school then. At the time, I was of the "I can see both arguments" camp and slightly favored removing it. Wasn't until I went to USC and really thought about the issue that I formed a real opinion and felt it needed to be in a museum. I still understand both sides of the argument, but with the amount of hate and violence perpetrated behind that flag can't support it being flown anywhere.
    I agree I too can see both sides of the issue however, it really should be in a museum. I did not know it wasn't flying over the capital.....well at least that's a start to getting in a museum.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

After listening to that Fox commentary this whole sad crime is getting out of hand and reminds of the song....

Crazy, Crazy, Crazy

Shine on
    All my people who've been broken hearted
    Shine on
    From the place where all life had been started
    When you need fresh air
    Go beyond horizons
    To your place in the sun
    Shine on
    Let your heart be boundless
    Like your faith in the one.

It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    Don't tell me that you don't care
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    No stopping to this warfare
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    We're breathing in the same air
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    You don't care
    And you don't care
    No

Sing on
    From the language of your ancestors and
    Sing on
    Be playful in your innocence and
    Lift your head up high
    And rejoice for all you see
    Without your eyes
    Sing on
    Like a bird that's making love in sunset skies

It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy

No life's worth more than any other
    No sister worth less than any brother

It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    You don't care
    You don't care

Somebody, please
    Send us a prayer.

http://youtu.be/ojrm76fzjDY

Peace

brianlux said:

^^^ It is crazy, G. And Fox has shown its hand as the racist organization it is by refusing to acknowledge the killing as an act of racism.

I gave this some thought and wondered if the roles were reversed (a black man shooting in a white church during bible study) would Fox News STILL consider this crime NOT an act of racism.

Theyre times I think when the red light on FN is off the commomentators might just say amongst themselves...."do you think they bought into the BS we just put over the Air". I'm pretty sure some do EVEN on this issue that this was not an act of racism.

A coworker said to me last night that the shooter, I don't know his name is imprisoned next to the officer who shot the man in his back....is that true?

Peace

• Options
    g under p said:

g under p said:

I

Peace

I agree I too can see both sides of the issue however, it really should be in a museum. I did not know it wasn't flying over the capital.....well at least that's a start to getting in a museum.

Peace

I don't think people realize it was taken off the dome of the capital because most of the pictures used in the media are either from before it was removed or are pictures taken so that it looks like it's still over the capital. I was reading an article on the flag debate in my local newspaper and one of the images used was from at least 20 years ago. Granted it was noted as an old picture, but it's one I've seen in other recent publications that make you believe the flag is still atop the capital.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844

g under p said:

I

Peace

The argument that I've read in the media and heard mentioned on this board is that the flag doesn't represent racism, it represents "heritage". My counter to that would be that not all heritage should be celebrated. German law, for instance, prohibits exhibition of the swastika in all but very limited circumstances. When fact-checking on this, I came across this interesting paragraph that directly compares the swastika with the confederate flag:

Some Germans equate the display of the swastika to the display of the Confederate flag in the United States. Both symbols represent dark periods in each country's history, but the government's attempt to outlaw their display could be construed as whitewashing – an effort to downplay the significance of the event itself. While most modern Germans bristle at the thought of the Holocaust or Hitler's reign of terror, some believe the display of the swastika symbol should not be completely outlawed. Oftentimes, the acknowledgement of a symbol of evil can be the key to diminishing its significance.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    edited June 2015

I'm really not ready to hear Hilary Clinton campaign about gun reform on behalf of the victims families in Charleston.

Oh don't worry, she will. And then she...and everyone else...will conveniently ignore the almost 1,150 shooting victims this year in Chicago alone (http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/shootings). That's almost 50 people per week!! So, while this story is horrific, and deserves every bit of attention it is getting, if you run a campaign on this event alone, in a way it's like pissing on the graves of all the people that have been relegated to the B section of the local news.

Post edited by Shawshank on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,800
    I hesitate to bring up the gun control issue here (because that kind of discussion seems to go in circles) but it is a big part of this incident and this article seems relevant. What will it take to make guns less easy to acquire? How many deaths does it take?:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/20/gun-control-charleston_n_7626602.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — This week's slaughter of nine people in a South Carolina church left prospects that Congress will curb guns right where they've been for years — remote for now, according to lawmakers and activists on both sides of the issue.

Conceding that congressional action was unlikely soon, President Barack Obama said lawmakers will tighten federal firearms restrictions when they believe the public is demanding it.

"I am not resigned," Obama told the U.S. Conference of Mayors in San Francisco on Friday. "I have faith we will eventually do the right thing."

Others said there was little evidence that Wednesday's killing of nine black parishioners by the white alleged gunman, Dylann Storm Roof, would make congressional action more likely, considering recent history.

"I'm skeptical it's going to change peoples' minds who weren't converted by Newtown," said Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn. Murphy was part of the Senate's failed efforts to strengthen background checks following the 2012 massacre of 26 children and educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

If anything, the odds of congressional action seem slimmer with both the House and Senate dominated by Republicans, who traditionally have been less sympathetic to curbs on gun ownership. When the Senate rejected firearms constraints in 2013 prompted by Newtown, the chamber was led by Democrats.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I'm not a religious person, but I enjoyed watching the Mother Emmanuel church service this morning. It made me feel proud to live here. The pastor did a good job.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,032
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,032
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I've spent the day reading some of the sources that reportedly influenced Dylann Roof, trying to understand his mind set. I was incredibly disturbed to learn that one of them is headquartered about a half hour from where I live, led by a man with a pretty strong presence on the Internet. Here is the website: http://www.amren.com/about/issues/
    I feel like I need to do something to get these people shut down and out of my neighborhood! I was alerted to their existence by the Southern Poverty Law Center's map of hate groups in the US. There's something like 750 of them, dispersed all over the US.
    What struck me the most is how absolutely fearful these white people are for their lives. Under all that hate lies a most irrational belief that their very existence is endangered by the presence of multi-cultural people. It's such a bizarre world where I can view the same set of circumstances and feel the complete opposite. How do you convince someone that their worldview is completely and utterly irrational?
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited June 2015
    What, just normal human behaviour.

Call it out when you see it. Especially to family and freinds.

Sad part those with power and an agenda typically use this human nature to further their cause. Not surprising how Arabs are portrayed as the enemy. Much easier to rally for war though the actions don't benefit those that fight. God Bless THESE United States.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Callen, no kidding. It's one thing to say to a family member that you won't accept their racist comment at your dinner table. Of course that's required.

It's quite another thing to see that there are so many *organized* groups in this country whose purpose is to recruit and influence people with political power. The list of public officials, for example, known to have given speeches or to have belonged to the Council of Conservative Citizens, for example -- mind-blowing. That's the one group Roof says was all talk and no action.

I'm not suggesting at all that we can't operate on an individual level. But there is a whole other level of shit going on in this country that I've only begun to be educated about today. Serious stuff, led by some of the same people stock-piling guns. This extremism in our political life has got to end.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    If we survive as a species in few thousand years we'll all be same race. So promote interracial breeding would speed this up. Ha.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I say what I can at the work place. But there comes a point where if I want to keep my job, I need to know when to shut up. Sad but true. Fortunately, my immediate supervisor is the only person I've heard (in management) to say racists things. And he knows how I feel about it so he doesn't say the shit to me anymore.
  • Options
    Last12. Have same issue at work. Already been labeled a Liberal. Ha.

Do have to pick opportunities and right message.
  • Options
    callen said:

Lol, I have been called a bleeding heart 100 times. Especially when they ask my opinion on gay marriage, abortion, and religion. I always end up saying, "you asked."
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

callen said:

Lol, I have been called a bleeding heart 100 times. Especially when they ask my opinion on gay marriage, abortion, and religion. I always end up saying, "you asked."
    And I always tell them that they're hypocrites with double standards since they claims to love the constitution and hate government but only when it suits THEM.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,800
    I'm not into labels but it doesn't break my heart to be called liberal.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    edited June 2015
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

It is unbelievable how the people of South Carolina refuse to see the problem with the confederate flag. I was told on facebook that my opinion did not matter because I was not born in the state! These people will claim to be tolerant at the same time tell you how proud they are to have this flag hanging at the Capitol. They are so blind to their own hypocrisy. It's truly disgusting. At a time when the city of Charleston is coming together so strongly, the wedge gets driven in so much deeper.

It has been interesting to me getting a look at the FB chatter surrounding this. The Michael Moore bit, the defense of the flag, the denials and acknowledgements of race issues. Very interesting!
    The huge trend now I'm seeing is everyone going on Google and finding every black person toting a confederate flag t-shirt and posting "does this look racist?" It's fucking disturbing.
    Ohhh shit that is ignorant. I am seeing a good bit of pointing out that the Democrats were the "racist party" generations ago, as if that was somehow relevant.
    I saw some jackass on CNN start babbling about how President Lincoln didn't actually support ending slavery right along with the South, and therefore there is nothing wrong with the confederate flag being flown today. image And this was an educated man (in charge of a group called Sons of the Confederate Army or something like that - some kind of historical society). Educated or not, when it comes to this issue, some people seem to abandon logic and reason completely.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I don't understand the criticism Obama is getting for attending Senator Pinckneys funeral. They were colleagues and his family personally knew him.
  • Options

I don't understand the criticism Obama is getting for attending Senator Pinckneys funeral. They were colleagues and his family personally knew him.

Hate is irrational so justifications will be the same.

Think Walmart and Ebay's actions, though I don't particularly agree with them are sending a strong message. If the flag comes down as well it's a big deal. Those that have this hate may realize they are in the wrong.

Interesting time on race relations.

Love Marin and pleasantly surprised he was doing the interview with Obama when he said the n word.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Heard they burned the U.S. Flag in Charleston today.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    badbrains said:

Heard they burned the U.S. Flag in Charleston today.

Who did?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata