Options

9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Wow, after this comment, I'm out of this. I'm taking at least a day, if not more, of a media blackout from this subject because I can't stand another minute of this nation's judgment of a group of people whom they nothing about. Other than this forum, I have followed this story _exclusively_ through Charleston's local news channels and trusted friends' feeds who actually live in and know Charleston. On each and every social media outlet there are nitwits nationwide dialing in. And now here, we have people saying that a grieving family member should abandon their religion because they have been brainwashed or they are delusional because they are not feeling the correct emotions. I just can't believe this. Sure, all of you have a right to your opinion. And as soon as one of your family members is shot dead, I will be sure to share my opinion about the correct way for you to deal with it.
    God love Charleston. Yes, I said God. It's not nicknamed "The Holy City" for nothing. There are black and white people all over that city coming together because the one thing they do share in common is their faith. If that's what will bring them together, then so be it. What's the alternative? Burning the place down? The fact is that blacks will not destroy their beautiful city because the black people in that city LOVE IT just as much as the white people do. They take pride in what they know their ancestors built, albeit under horrific historical circumstances. The beauty of it is evident everywhere, and even white people appreciate the cultural significance of their contributions. They are celebrated. The media -- CNN, Fox, MSNBC -- will not tell you that, but ask any local of any color and you will hear it.
    Yes, the city and the state is FULL of CONTRADICTIONS. We know all about the flags and the streets named for generals. Many of the streets in Charleston are also named after founding families, i.e., plantation owners, but guess what? BLACK PEOPLE share those same last names. The city of full of them. We know why, they know why. Thank you all very much for your attempts to enlighten the south about its racism, but both black and white Charlestonians know very well how complicated their history is together. They don't need your help -- and quite frankly, most of them DON'T WANT IT!!!!!
    One thing I am very grateful for . . . I'm glad I had the opportunity to spend five years of my life teaching in an all black high school in Charleston, South Carolina. Without that experience, I would never understand race in the south the way I understand it now. I would never even have come to understood my own struggles with racism that I thought didn't exist until I was forced everyday to confront my own inadequacies in that area. You see, the most important lesson I learned is that it was really easy for me to come out of my literal ivory tower thinking I knew everything because I had read a few books in college. I knew nothing. Those of you passing judgment would do well to get out of your own segregated neighborhoods and live and work with people who are dramatically different than you are. You might become a little more forgiving.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,778
    I received and email petition to identify this killing as an act of domestic terrorism. Most sources I've read recently identify it as such only FOX news refuses to do so.

Way to go, Faux. image

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/06/19/doj-debunks-fox-news-propaganda-investigating-charleston-shooting-domestic-terrorism.html
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I also prefer the local news coverage opposed to the national feeds.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited June 2015

Many of the streets in Charleston are also named after founding families, i.e., plantation owners, but guess what? BLACK PEOPLE share those same last names.

Share?!? Bestowed upon them as slaves. Think if I were black id sure as hell change my last name if it was Jackson.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    callen said:

Many of the streets in Charleston are also named after founding families, i.e., plantation owners, but guess what? BLACK PEOPLE share those same last names.

Share?!? Bestowed upon them as slaves. Think if I were black id sure as hell change my last name if it was Jackson.
    I haven't signed off yet, Callen. Like I said and you must have missed it . . . black people know how they got their last names. Pinckney is one of them. He didn't change it. He ran on it and became a state senator.
    There are no prominent Jacksons in Charleston. An outsider wouldn't know that. Give it up.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,949
    interesting. dictionary notification for todays word.

cavil
    KAV-uhl

verb

to raise irritating and trivial objections; find fault with unnecessarily (usually followed by at or about ): He finds something to cavil at in everything I say.
    to oppose by inconsequential, frivolous, or sham objections: to cavil each item of a proposed agenda.
    noun

a trivial and annoying objection.
    the raising of such objections.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Those of you passing judgment would do well to get out of your own segregated neighborhoods and live and work with people who are dramatically different than you are. You might become a little more forgiving.

Have done so. I grew up in a white suburban neighborhood but later as a young adult I lived in a high rise complex for a year with 90% African American occupancy. I also worked for a year in a Job Corps center where most of the kids there were black kids. Sorry, those experiences did not make me any more forgiving of acts of domestic terrorism and racial hatred. Not in the least. Why would they?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Apologists. Gag.

White ignorant insecure racists. That's all there is to this story. Significant portion of our population. and needs to be called out.

Fuck the confederate flag.

Fuck honoring those that fought to continue slavery.

This kid is the stereo typical racist. Weak, not too smart and blames others for their ills. Afraid the black man will get all the white girls as they are stronger and bigger. Sad typical animalistic human behavior. We aren't civilized. We're cavemen.

As to death penalty for this punk, so now we also kill. The utter hypocrisy of this We as a society are no better than this little fuck. We do nothing by killing. Well other than making ourselves feel better about situation. How selfish. There are families grieving and we talk about getting our endorphin drip by killing this fuck! All about me!!!

Want to do something? Accept reality and call out white insecure racists.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

Just like any animal on this planet... I'd defend my family to a death (mine or the assailant's).

If a mushroom headed mutant went and randomly murdered one of my family members for shits and giggles... well... let's just say of all the things I would be thinking of doing... I wouldn't be thinking about 'forgiving him'. Pain I couldn't imagine.

The judge shouldn't have been talking about this creep's parents as victims. He should have been questioning the degree to which they are complicit in this event with their negligent parenting efforts.

Like teaching your children that killing is a solution to a problem? Be careful about your witch hunting.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    After listening to that Fox commentary this whole sad crime is getting out of hand and reminds of the song....

Crazy, Crazy, Crazy

Shine on
    All my people who've been broken hearted
    Shine on
    From the place where all life had been started
    When you need fresh air
    Go beyond horizons
    To your place in the sun
    Shine on
    Let your heart be boundless
    Like your faith in the one.

It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    Don't tell me that you don't care
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    No stopping to this warfare
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    We're breathing in the same air
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    You don't care
    And you don't care
    No

Sing on
    From the language of your ancestors and
    Sing on
    Be playful in your innocence and
    Lift your head up high
    And rejoice for all you see
    Without your eyes
    Sing on
    Like a bird that's making love in sunset skies

It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy

No life's worth more than any other
    No sister worth less than any brother

It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    It's crazy, crazy, crazy
    You don't care
    You don't care

Somebody, please
    Send us a prayer.

http://youtu.be/ojrm76fzjDY

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    ^^^ It is crazy, G. And Fox has shown its hand as the racist organization it is by refusing to acknowledge the killing as an act of racism.

• Options
    callen said:

Apologists. Gag.

White ignorant insecure racists. That's all there is to this story. Significant portion of our population. and needs to be called out.

Fuck the confederate flag.

Fuck honoring those that fought to continue slavery.

This kid is the stereo typical racist. Weak, not too smart and blames others for their ills. Afraid the black man will get all the white girls as they are stronger and bigger. Sad typical animalistic human behavior. We aren't civilized. We're cavemen.

As to death penalty for this punk, so now we also kill. The utter hypocrisy of this We as a society are no better than this little fuck. We do nothing by killing. Well other than making ourselves feel better about situation. How selfish. There are families grieving and we talk about getting our endorphin drip by killing this fuck! All about me!!!

Want to do something? Accept reality and call out white insecure racists.

You've got a lot going on here. I agree with all of it with the exception of the death penalty. My stance is definitely softening on it. But in open and shut cases like this, I have no problem with it. I can assure you that it's not about the rush to kill. It's more about the fact that I don't think guys like this scum deserves to live. Is that my decision to make? Absolutely not. But if you gave me the choice about this particular piece of trash, I give him the chair.
  • Options

callen said:

I haven't signed off yet, Callen. Like I said and you must have missed it . . . black people know how they got their last names. Pinckney is one of them. He didn't change it. He ran on it and became a state senator.
    There are no prominent Jacksons in Charleston. An outsider wouldn't know that. Give it up.
    Those names were forced on the slaves back in the 1800s. People like senator Pinckney did know that. That doesn't mean he's accepted it. It means his family and many other black families have created their own legacy that has nothing to do with slavery. They have had 150 years to build their own names. Why should he change it? Why should he have to?
  • Options

callen said:

Give what up?

Challenging "Benefit" black people get by having last names matching street names in a once slave city by the very slave owners that owned and gave them their last name? Woo hoo proud and thankful they must feel.

This is part of the disconnect we have in this country. And it's not like this was thousands of years ago, a mere few generations.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I'm really not ready to hear Hilary Clinton campaign about gun reform on behalf of the victims families in Charleston.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

I am glad that the world/USA has forgiven the perpetrators of 911 and expresses no anger.

I forgive you for this comment.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

I am glad that the world/USA has forgiven the perpetrators of 911 and expresses no anger.

I forgive you for this comment.
    Hahaha good one!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Page 9 of this thread was, in a strange way for me, awesome, interesting and eye-opening; despite some points made with which I disagree, I felt it all - garnered some emotions.

And what dreams - self-imposed timeouts are healthy; do return though!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,664
    edited June 2015

"We welcomed you Wednesday night in our Bible study with open arms. You have killed some of the most beautiful people that I know. Every fiber in my body hurts, and I'll never be the same. But, as we said in that bible study, we enjoyed you. And now may God have mercy on you."
    Felicia Sanders, mother of Tywanza Sanders and survivor of the massacre.

I know we like to act like we will feel a certain way if this kind of tragedy hits us closely. While some of you may have had this kind of horror in your life, most of us havent. I am not a religious person. I do not believe in god. But in no way will I tell these people how to cope with the trauma they have experienced. The utter horror. Honestly, I can't believe some of you would criticize forgiveness. Maybe it is the natural reaction humans should have to tragedy. How are you so sure that rage, anger, and vengeance is supposed to come first?

For the record, I specifically said that I don't think forgiveness has to be related to hate, rage, anger, or vengeance. I believe those emotions wouod be very unhelpful at this time. And i think saying thst anyone is criticizing forgiveness is farfetched. It really became a philosophical argument about the nature of forgiveness, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that! But I am not surprised (though I am disheartened) that many people are unable to wrap their minds around this and instead show anger and defensiveness over the very mention of the subject. Gimme a break. The best way to deal with events like these are to be honest and open. Not to express your reaction in the way everyone expects you to in their own versions of what an ideal world is (not speaking specifically about you here Last-12).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

"We welcomed you Wednesday night in our Bible study with open arms. You have killed some of the most beautiful people that I know. Every fiber in my body hurts, and I'll never be the same. But, as we said in that bible study, we enjoyed you. And now may God have mercy on you."
    Felicia Sanders, mother of Tywanza Sanders and survivor of the massacre.

I know we like to act like we will feel a certain way if this kind of tragedy hits us closely. While some of you may have had this kind of horror in your life, most of us havent. I am not a religious person. I do not believe in god. But in no way will I tell these people how to cope with the trauma they have experienced. The utter horror. Honestly, I can't believe some of you would criticize forgiveness. Maybe it is the natural reaction humans should have to tragedy. How are you so sure that rage, anger, and vengeance is supposed to come first?

For the record, I specifically said that I don't think forgiveness has to be related to hate, rage, anger, or vengeance. I believe those emotions wouod be very unhelpful at this time. And i think saying thst anyone is criticizing forgiveness is farfetched. It really became a philosophical argument about the nature of forgiveness, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that! But I am not surprised (though I am disheartened) that many people are unable to wrap their minds around this and instead show anger and defensiveness over the very mention of the subject. Gimme a break. The best way to deal with events like these are to be honest and open. Not to express your reaction in the way everyone expects you to in their own versions of what an ideal world is (not speaking specifically about you here Last-12).
    ^^That's why I shut up. Also cuz I was sleeping, but mostly ^^ I can do philosophy. I can't do someone arguing with like one line of my point and ignoring everything else I said which explains/supports it.

I'm still really annoyed that 99.9% of the coverage I've seen is focusing on the doushebag and not the victims families. Did I tell you guys that of the 9 people he shot 6 were women and 3 were 70+ years old? I think I mentioned it elsewhere.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    I totally get what you mean about who is being covered Ident, and it's not an uncommon reaction.
    .... But then I think about what the most useful focus is hear, outside of the emotions. In a practical sense. And i figure that is paying attention to the killer's motives, philosophies, methods, the warning signs, where things could have been done differently to prevent this act, etc. Focusing on the killer is probably how we get better at preventing such murders. It highlights who everyone should be keeping their eyes on. Focusing on victims could perhaps fulfill an emotional need for folks who are sad and angry and feel like everyone and evert hung surrounding them should follow a prescribed method of handling this event - a method that most comforts them - but I'm not sure that should be a priority of the media.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    So here's something kind of chilling that I just found out. Apparently, a friend and coworker of my wife had the killer at her house. Her son went to school with the killer and she hosted a class party one year (I think she said it was when her son was in middle school). She's kind of freaked out about that.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I totally get what you mean about who is being covered Ident, and it's not an uncommon reaction.
    .... But then I think about what the most useful focus is hear, outside of the emotions. In a practical sense. And i figure that is paying attention to the killer's motives, philosophies, methods, the warning signs, where things could have been done differently to prevent this act, etc. Focusing on the killer is probably how we get better at preventing such murders. It highlights who everyone should be keeping their eyes on. Focusing on victims could perhaps fulfill an emotional need for folks who are sad and angry and feel like everyone and evert hung surrounding them should follow a prescribed method of handling this event - a method that most comforts them - but I'm not sure that should be a priority of the media.

I get that - BUT - in this case that kid wanted the attention. I really strongly believe that these guys shouldn't wind up with their faces and names known by the majority of the news watching national public. Part of me suspects that in their hate filled little brains they get off on the celebrity and that if there was an active media black out on the name and likeness of the shooters in all of these mass shooting cases it may help deter some future doushelord from doing this if he knows he won't get his name and photo on the front page. That's part of why I feel like the media attention should be focused on the victim families and the narrative basically being from their POV.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yeah.... i personally don't think that the killer wanting attention (and a civil war) should mean a mass shooting fueled by racism doesn't warrant full attention directed at the killer. In this particular case, based on racism, which is a huge problem in the US, I think the killer actually requires close attention, no matter what the killer happens to want. The real issue here is racism, and that means the focus needs to be on the racist.
  • Options
    It is unbelievable how the people of South Carolina refuse to see the problem with the confederate flag. I was told on facebook that my opinion did not matter because I was not born in the state! These people will claim to be tolerant at the same time tell you how proud they are to have this flag hanging at the Capitol. They are so blind to their own hypocrisy. It's truly disgusting. At a time when the city of Charleston is coming together so strongly, the wedge gets driven in so much deeper.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I get that - BUT - in this case that kid wanted the attention. I really strongly believe that these guys shouldn't wind up with their faces and names known by the majority of the news watching national public. Part of me suspects that in their hate filled little brains they get off on the celebrity and that if there was an active media black out on the name and likeness of the shooters in all of these mass shooting cases it may help deter some future doushelord from doing this if he knows he won't get his name and photo on the front page. That's part of why I feel like the media attention should be focused on the victim families and the narrative basically being from their POV.
    Think about the insanity that would follow in the form of conspiracy theories!
  • Options

It is unbelievable how the people of South Carolina refuse to see the problem with the confederate flag. I was told on facebook that my opinion did not matter because I was not born in the state! These people will claim to be tolerant at the same time tell you how proud they are to have this flag hanging at the Capitol. They are so blind to their own hypocrisy. It's truly disgusting. At a time when the city of Charleston is coming together so strongly, the wedge gets driven in so much deeper.

It has been interesting to me getting a look at the FB chatter surrounding this. The Michael Moore bit, the defense of the flag, the denials and acknowledgements of race issues. Very interesting!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

It has been interesting to me getting a look at the FB chatter surrounding this. The Michael Moore bit, the defense of the flag, the denials and acknowledgements of race issues. Very interesting!
    The huge trend now I'm seeing is everyone going on Google and finding every black person toting a confederate flag t-shirt and posting "does this look racist?" It's fucking disturbing.
  • Options

rgambs said:

The huge trend now I'm seeing is everyone going on Google and finding every black person toting a confederate flag t-shirt and posting "does this look racist?" It's fucking disturbing.
    Ohhh shit that is ignorant. I am seeing a good bit of pointing out that the Democrats were the "racist party" generations ago, as if that was somehow relevant.