Options

9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    fife said:

badbrains said:

Saw an interview with the ex governor last night and he couldn't even get himself to admit that the confederate flag needs to come down in s. Carolina. So much racism in that state, the interview was on a street named after some racist (Calhoun) ?

of course not, i am sure he said something along the lines that its has a deep meaning in the state and its great history.

greatest country in the world right?
    That's basically what he said.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Nobody thinks that everyone in the South is racist, but there ia no question it is a serious problem.
    I don't care what historical perspective you try to give it, the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Jason P said:

I read that his uncle said his parents gave him a handgun for his 21st birthday present. And that he was also a prior felon on drug charges. If true, his parents will be arrested, right?

I don't know if that is the law or not. it would be great if they were arrested. i would also look into the family too. a kid doesn't get that much hate from thin air.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

fife said:

badbrains said:

Saw an interview with the ex governor last night and he couldn't even get himself to admit that the confederate flag needs to come down in s. Carolina. So much racism in that state, the interview was on a street named after some racist (Calhoun) ?

of course not, i am sure he said something along the lines that its has a deep meaning in the state and its great history.

greatest country in the world right?
    That's basically what he said.
    shock how i could have guessed that since I never heard that before ;)

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    JimmyV said:

fife said:

callen said:

Shawshank said:

fife said:

apparently, south carolina doesn't do back ground checks on private gun sales so there is a way inwhich he could have bought a gun.

Then yes, that is fucking stupid. I believe in Texas it's just a criminal background check.

Private gun sales not monitored in Texas. No background check, only through dealers so wide open for anyone.
    wow! i don't know why i am surprised by this but man. anyway, going back to this crime. apparently the governor has said that she hope that they will go for the death penalty.
    Should be a slam dunk death penalty case. There will be excuses (mental illness, low IQ, someone put him up to it, etc.) None of them will explain away sitting with innocent people in a church for an hour before viciously murdering nine of them. That is the act of a cold-blooded killer.

Now the local news here in FL are saying he was not going to go through with the shooting. Why, because the people In that church were so NICE to him. However, after sometime he went ahead with the shooting. This is horrible but this country is becoming more and decentized with these endless mass shootings.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    rgambs said:

Nobody thinks that everyone in the South is racist, but there ia no question it is a serious problem.
    I don't care what historical perspective you try to give it, the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism.

A relic that needs to be retired.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    fife said:

Shawshank said:

I seriously hope some of you aren't making blanket statements like the whole fucking state of South Carolina is racist, or that everyone who owns a gun is racist for fuck's sake. That would be just as ignorant as any other racist comment. I also don't know what gun laws would have prevented this. The fucking guy couldn't legally own a gun anyway. If you notice one of his pictures they posted was a prior mug shot, that pretty much limits your ability to legally own or carry a firearm in any state. His family, or dad or whoever the fuck gave him that gun should be hanging from a tree right next to him.

I too am almost surprised at the hate I have this piece of shit. I have never been a fan of the death penalty, and I'm still not, but man...I sure would love to see this guy have to live in the GP of the most hardcore prison in this country. No doubt he would wish for death every day.

I have heard different reports about the gun. one said that his dad got him the gun and others saying that the father gave him money for his birthday in which he bought the gun himself.

here is a law that could be in place right now. if you want to buy a gun, everyone in your household must pass a background check.
    He would not have been able to purchase the gun himself from a registered dealer. You have to pass criminal background checks for that. I purchased a gun back in April and had to go through that process (oh the horror of someone purchasing a gun). Unfortunately, there's really no way to enforce or police anything with private sales/gifts, which is the case in this situation.
  • Options

fife said:

Shawshank said:

I seriously hope some of you aren't making blanket statements like the whole fucking state of South Carolina is racist, or that everyone who owns a gun is racist for fuck's sake. That would be just as ignorant as any other racist comment. I also don't know what gun laws would have prevented this. The fucking guy couldn't legally own a gun anyway. If you notice one of his pictures they posted was a prior mug shot, that pretty much limits your ability to legally own or carry a firearm in any state. His family, or dad or whoever the fuck gave him that gun should be hanging from a tree right next to him.

I too am almost surprised at the hate I have this piece of shit. I have never been a fan of the death penalty, and I'm still not, but man...I sure would love to see this guy have to live in the GP of the most hardcore prison in this country. No doubt he would wish for death every day.

I have heard different reports about the gun. one said that his dad got him the gun and others saying that the father gave him money for his birthday in which he bought the gun himself.

here is a law that could be in place right now. if you want to buy a gun, everyone in your household must pass a background check.
    He would not have been able to purchase the gun himself from a registered dealer. You have to pass criminal background checks for that. I purchased a gun back in April and had to go through that process (oh the horror of someone purchasing a gun). Unfortunately, there's really no way to enforce or police anything with private sales/gifts, which is the case in this situation.
    I would say yes there is no way to police private sales but i bet money that if you made it that all private sales had to go through a background check or else if the gun you sold was involved in a crime you would also be charged with some crime you would notice a increase in background checks in private sales.
  • Options
    also, why not create a gun registry inwhich all guns had to be listed.
  • Options
    fife said:

fife said:

Shawshank said:

I would say yes there is no way to police private sales but i bet money that if you made it that all private sales had to go through a background check or else if the gun you sold was involved in a crime you would also be charged with some crime you would notice a increase in background checks in private sales.
    Sure there would be an increase in background checks for responsible firearm owners. However, I don't think much would change amongst those with little or no regard to the law.
  • Options

fife said:

fife said:

Shawshank said:

Sure there would be an increase in background checks for responsible firearm owners. However, I don't think much would change amongst those with little or no regard to the law.
    apparently in south Carolina, there was close to 40,000 people who failed a background check, imagine if all people who tried to but a gun anywhere had to go through a background check. i would bet more people would also be denied.

I would assume that responsible gun owners would be ok with background checks like you had to do.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    fife said:

fife said:

fife said:

Shawshank said:

apparently in south Carolina, there was close to 40,000 people who failed a background check, imagine if all people who tried to but a gun anywhere had to go through a background check. i would bet more people would also be denied.

I would assume that responsible gun owners would be ok with background checks like you had to do.
    I got more curious about the state's gun laws and actually it was illegal for the father to sell/give his son the gun because of his prior drug charge.

From what I read (coming from a lawyer who deals with SC gun cases) it sounds like it's actually illegal to sell a gun to someone that would fail those criminal checks. Would need further clarification from a lawyer though. The lawyer also advocated getting a bill of sale so that tracing the initial registration doesn't land someone who sold a gun in good faith in trouble.

And, yes, I would be in favor of requiring background checks for private sales. Even with that, someone that really wants a gun will get one regardless of the legality of the purchase.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I was watching Across the Universe today while Simon Gumby was napping and it really cut me deep when the black choir sings Let It Be.
    Just thinking about all the lives lost to blind, ignorant hatred and senseless wars, it's devastating. Each life lost was the most important person alive to somebody. So much grief in the world, so sad.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options

fife said:

fife said:

Shawshank said:

You are correct.

With all those guns out there... it wouldn't be hard for someone with little regard for the law to get one.

I mean... if they aren't getting one from a claw vending machine... they are buying one from a flea market or from a 'wink wink' deal at the pawn shop. I'll never forget the day I saw a one-toothed yokel spaz out because he didn't get the gun he wanted at the Dennys claw machine: "Gawddammit Pa! I got me an ouzi. I wanted one of dem dare .45s."

Geez. I reckon you should just be happy you got something.
  • Options
    fife said:

also, why not create a gun registry inwhich all guns had to be listed.

Because that is the first step toward confiscating all the guns and imprisonment for all gun owners.
    So goes the paranoid reasoning of the gun-nut crowd, which manages to control gun laws, much to the dismay of reasonable gun owners like myself.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Shawshank said:

Wrong. He purchased this gun. Legally. Yes he had a record. IN THE STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, YOU CAN LEGALLY PURCHASE A FIREARM IF YOU DON'T HAVE A FEDERAL RECORD OR VIOLENT RECORD.
  • Options
    I just cam back from the church. A few observations: 1) it was very emotional. There is about 30-40 people standing directly in front of the church. Praying, reflecting, crying. The mood was very somber. 2) people were passing out water. It's aftrica hot down here this week and right before you get to the church, there were people that pretty much made us take the bottles. 3) there were far more white people than black people there. I don't know why. I went there to take my kids. I didn't see a lot of children. I felt I needed to take them. Explain to them that there is no need to hate. These were sensless murders. But it was the act of one man.

I posted some pictures on my wife's fb account for those that know me there. I'll figure out how to get them on here later.
  • Options
    I've seen some of the pictures floating around on Facebook and Twitter. It is good to see the community at large rally for each other in the face of this horrible tragedy. I just hate that it takes something this devastating to bring people together. Also, I hope the community stays strong even when the attention starts to fade away.
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    JimmyV said:

fife said:

callen said:

Shawshank said:

fife said:

apparently, south carolina doesn't do back ground checks on private gun sales so there is a way inwhich he could have bought a gun.

Then yes, that is fucking stupid. I believe in Texas it's just a criminal background check.

Private gun sales not monitored in Texas. No background check, only through dealers so wide open for anyone.
    wow! i don't know why i am surprised by this but man. anyway, going back to this crime. apparently the governor has said that she hope that they will go for the death penalty.
    Should be a slam dunk death penalty case. There will be excuses (mental illness, low IQ, someone put him up to it, etc.) None of them will explain away sitting with innocent people in a church for an hour before viciously murdering nine of them. That is the act of a cold-blooded killer.

I might be wrong but if he pleads guilty then there is no death penalty.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    A fund has been established for the victims families. If any of you want to donate you can go to www.wcsc.com. I know that is legit. It's the local cbs station. I'm sure there are others, I know that one to be real and not a scam.
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348

A fund has been established for the victims families. If any of you want to donate you can go to www.wcsc.com. I know that is legit. It's the local cbs station. I'm sure there are others, I know that one to be real and not a scam.

It is a damn shame that people would run a scam on this. The lowest of the low.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    edited June 2015

JimmyV said:

fife said:

callen said:

Shawshank said:

fife said:

I might be wrong but if he pleads guilty then there is no death penalty.
    Pleading guilty has no bearing on his punishment. It is basically up to the solicitor to decide whether or not to seek the death penalty, regardless of being convicted or pleading guilty.

I suppose he could try to negotiate a plea deal for life imprisonment, but I doubt the solicitor would accept that deal. If the solicitor decides to seek the death penalty, I believe the only way for him to avoid it would be to be found insane.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • Options

fife said:

fife said:

Shawshank said:

You are correct.

With all those guns out there... it wouldn't be hard for someone with little regard for the law to get one.

I mean... if they aren't getting one from a claw vending machine... they are buying one from a flea market or from a 'wink wink' deal at the pawn shop. I'll never forget the day I saw a one-toothed yokel spaz out because he didn't get the gun he wanted at the Dennys claw machine: "Gawddammit Pa! I got me an ouzi. I wanted one of dem dare .45s."

please tell me you are joking about the vending machines. sorry my sarcasm detector is down right now.

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    They still can't bring themselves to take the Confederate flag down, eh. Despicable.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736

Excellent. Thanks for posting this info, Last-12

Even more specific link for that is:

http://www.live5news.com/story/29362217/donate-to-the-mother-emanuel-hope-fund

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    fife said:

fife said:

fife said:

Shawshank said:

You are correct.

please tell me you are joking about the vending machines. sorry my sarcasm detector is down right now.

Hahaha!

I'm joking... but I think it's indicative of the situation that one might consider the remote possibility of it being factual.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I see a lot of articles where the rest of the world is in shock about violence in America. I say to the rest of the world: Don't throw stones in a glass house.

Once you guys no longer need razor wire and riot police to host a soccer match, then we can talk.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Thanks brian. Let's hope I uploaded these correctly. This is such a pain in the ass. Why can't we just upload these things from our devices?

Reverend Pinckneys name is still in the box as pastor of this Sundays sermon. It was surreal.

This is what really hit home for me:
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    Oh man, that last picture is like a punch to the stomach.

Thank you for sharing those.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Oh man, that last picture is like a punch to the stomach.

Thank you for sharing those.

Agreed. Thank you.