Options

9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• Options
    Are any of you following this kids trial?

Seeing the feds interview him after he was arrested is disturbing. The dude says "I did it" followed by a laugh. Reading the transcripts, seeing these interviws, and watching the clips of him entering and exiting the church turns my stomach.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    That's why the moment he's convicted they should take him to the edge of the earth and throw him off it.

Mushroom Head.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    The kid is seriously evil. It still creeps me out to know that he used to live a few miles from me.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,114
    He lived off of Garners Ferry, right? I'm out in Irmo, but that's close enough.

I haven't seen any videos, but I've been reading the articles online. Bone chilling testimony, especially from the lady that survived the attack. It should be an open and shut case, just a matter of final sentencing. He's admitted guilt, hasn't recanted, and has said he'd plead guilty for a life sentence. Glad isn't the right word, but I'm in favor of the prosecution not accepting that and pushing for capital punishment. I'm not in favor of capital punishment for every case, but this one definitely calls for it. I'll be interested to see if the state follows through with its trial if he is given the death penalty.
  • Options

I haven't seen any videos, but I've been reading the articles online. Bone chilling testimony, especially from the lady that survived the attack. It should be an open and shut case, just a matter of final sentencing. He's admitted guilt, hasn't recanted, and has said he'd plead guilty for a life sentence. Glad isn't the right word, but I'm in favor of the prosecution not accepting that and pushing for capital punishment. I'm not in favor of capital punishment for every case, but this one definitely calls for it. I'll be interested to see if the state follows through with its trial if he is given the death penalty.

I'm an outspoken advocate for the DP and this turd and his offence is the perfect example why.

There's no reason to house him, feed him, clothe him, or offer him simple pleasures to enjoy himself with. His offence is so unspeakable that in my opinion, only a sentence of death could accurately reflect our level of disdain for his crime.

Nice try at life. Now f**k off loser.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

I'm an outspoken advocate for the DP and this turd and his offence is the perfect example why.

There's no reason to house him, feed him, clothe him, or offer him simple pleasures to enjoy himself with. His offence is so unspeakable that in my opinion, only a sentence of death could accurately reflect our level of disdain for his crime.

Seriously, fuck him going to prison and getting to be protected and praised by his fellow neo-nazi inmates. This little mushroom head shit needs to be made an example of. Ship him to Syria for some target practice or something!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    PJPOWER said:

Seriously, fuck him going to prison and getting to be protected and praised by his fellow neo-nazi inmates. This little mushroom head shit needs to be made an example of. Ship him to Syria for some target practice or something!
    Unfortunately because this is a federal case he would probably end up in Supermax here in Colorado. In solitary 23.5 hours a day.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited December 2016

PJPOWER said:

Unfortunately because this is a federal case he would probably end up in Supermax here in Colorado. In solitary 23.5 hours a day.
    True, maybe someone will at least take the high road and shit in his food on a daily basis or something!
  • Options

I agree with you regarding this guy. This guy makes me wish they would bring back public hangings.

In general though, I think the punishment should be meted out on a case by case basis. I know many people who automatically think guilty = death penalty, but I don't agree with that.
  • Options
    Just saw a live tweet from a reporter saying the jury is now deliberating on the case.

I would guess the verdict will be in by the end of the day.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,031
    the just has asked to see the confession video again, specifically the portion where roof is asked how many people he killed, and he wasn't sure.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

True, maybe someone will at least take the high road and shit in his food on a daily basis or something!
    23.5 hours in solitary per day, in my opinion, is worse than death.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Guilty on all 33 charges brought against him.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    good!!
    when is the sentencing phase?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    We don't have a punishment harsh enough for him.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Here is part of his video confession and he laughs.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/12/10/charleston-church-shooter-laughs-confesses-murders-dylann-roof-murder-trial-video-confession/95257238/

I'm torn between DP and 23.5hrs a day solitary for the rest of his life.
    They both sound like great options.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Whatever happens to this guy, I hope the rest of his life, however much time he has left, is filled with pain and misery. Saute his mushroom head in garlic and butter until it is translucent and garnish it with parsley for all I care. He's getting his due process, and will pay a steep price for his monstrous behavior. I personally don't think he deserves to take another breath, but as long as he suffers for the remainder of his days, I'm good with it.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

Whatever happens to this guy, I hope the rest of his life, however much time he has left, is filled with pain and misery. Saute his mushroom head in garlic and butter until it is translucent and garnish it with parsley for all I care. He's getting his due process, and will pay a steep price for his monstrous behavior. I personally don't think he deserves to take another breath, but as long as he suffers for the remainder of his days, I'm good with it.

It won't be painful enough. I don't think there's any way he gets life in prison. If for some reason the federal jury doesn't give him the DP, the state trial will no doubt give it to him. And im hoping it is an expedited sentence. I don't want to see years of motions and appeals.
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

good!!

I'd imagine asap. Last trial tweet I saw stated they were already discussing Roof's wish to waive counsel for the sentencing phase. With the verdict coming so late in the day, my guess is they start tomorrow and try to have it wrapped up by Tuesday at the latest.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

lolobugg said:

good!!

I'd imagine asap. Last trial tweet I saw stated they were already discussing Roof's wish to waive counsel for the sentencing phase. With the verdict coming so late in the day, my guess is they start tomorrow and try to have it wrapped up by Tuesday at the latest.
    that will be swift justice.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    Pretty distinct opinions from the left and right on this one:

Leftie Liberal says:
    This kid had numerous behavioral problems and was probably mentally disturbed, maybe now is a good time to discuss expanding healthcare services?
    This kid had easy access to guns, maybe now is a good time to talk about gun control?
    This kid is guilty, but the death penalty has no place in civilized modern society.
    Federal prosecutors said this kid was "self-radicalized" online, maybe now is a good time to talk about how that malicious information was disseminated and received before another incident occurs.

Radical Rightie says:
    Punish!
    Torture!
    Kill!
    (proceeds to close barn door)
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Sentencing will start January 3rd. The judge is going to allow the jurors to go home for the holidays.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Leftie Liberal says:
    This kid had numerous behavioral problems and was probably mentally disturbed, maybe now is a good time to discuss expanding healthcare services?
    This kid had easy access to guns, maybe now is a good time to talk about gun control?
    This kid is guilty, but the death penalty has no place in civilized modern society.
    Federal prosecutors said this kid was "self-radicalized" online, maybe now is a good time to talk about how that malicious information was disseminated and received before another incident occurs.

Radical Rightie says:
    Punish!
    Torture!
    Kill!

I really don't think this is a partisan issue. I've even heard a few people that are typically opposed to the DP say that it would be appropriate here.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Leftie Liberal says:

Radical Rightie says:
    Punish!
    Torture!
    Kill!

A biased post.

Let me rework the Leftie Liberal portion for you to match the idiocy of the Radical Rightie portion:

Leftie Liberal says:
    Poor poor kid had severe trauma of some sort in his life and he needs our support now because we failed him prior to the somewhat unfortunate event.
    What's done is done and we can't bring back any of the deceased, but we can all come together and pour love all over mushroom head to salvage a life.
    Etc.
  • Options
    Roof is going to represent himself during the sentencing phase of this trial. Many people think he's going to use this as a platform to spout off his racist agenda. I don't think this kid is smart enough for that. Just based on what I've seen during this trial, I don't see him having the capacity to spread his hate effectively. I think even the KKK would stay away from his rhetoric.
  • Options

CM189191 said:

Leftie Liberal says:

Radical Rightie says:
    Punish!
    Torture!
    Kill!

A biased post.

Let me rework the Leftie Liberal portion for you to match the idiocy of the Radical Rightie portion:

Leftie Liberal says:
    Poor poor kid had severe trauma of some sort in his life and he needs our support now because we failed him prior to the somewhat unfortunate event.
    What's done is done and we can't bring back any of the deceased, but we can all come together and pour love all over mushroom head to salvage a life.
    Etc.
    as someone who is often accused as being a crybaby liberal by folks such as 30, I can honestly say that I disagree with giving this piece of shit any support of any kind. he is unreedemable as far as I'm concerned.

I am strictly anti-DP. however, I think 23.5 hours per day in solitary is honestly inhumane. most experts would agree that it is a form of torture.

I don't hope for a happy existence for this kid, but I also don't condone torture in any form. he will be living in his own personal hell in prison, let me tell you. a skinny white neo nazi in prison for hate crimes? good luck.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    CM189191 said:

Leftie Liberal says:

Radical Rightie says:
    Punish!
    Torture!
    Kill!

I notice his victims are mentioned nowhere in your post. Maybe both left and right should take a moment this afternoon to remember them.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

Sentencing will start January 3rd. The judge is going to allow the jurors to go home for the holidays.

Hmm. I would have thought they could have finished before Christmas. Guess there must be more testimony than I figured.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    edited December 2016
    JimmyV said:

CM189191 said:

Leftie Liberal says:

Radical Rightie says:
    Punish!
    Torture!
    Kill!

I notice his victims are mentioned nowhere in your post. Maybe both left and right should take a moment this afternoon to remember them.
    Good point.

The victims are:

The Rev. Clementa Pinckney, 41: A state senator and the senior pastor of Emanuel, he was married to Jennifer Benjamin and the father of two children, Eliana and Malana. He was a 1995 graduate of Allen University and got his master's degree at the University of South Carolina in 1999. He served in the state Legislature starting in 2000; The Post and Courier says black fabric was draped over Pinckney's Senate chamber seat on Thursday.

Cynthia Hurd, 54: According to the Charleston County Public Library, she was a 31-year employee who managed the John L. Dart Library for 21 years before heading the St. Andrews Regional Library. A statement said Hurd "dedicated her life to serving and improving the lives of others." The system closed its 16 branches Thursday to honor Hurd and the others who died in the shooting. County officials also say the St. Andrews library will be named for Hurd.

The Rev. Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, 45: A pastor at Emanuel, she was also a speech therapist and high school girls track and field coach, both positions at Goose Creek High School, according to her LinkedIn page. Jimmy Huskey, the school's principal, called her "a true professional ... [who] cared about her students and was an advocate for them." Her son, Chris Singleton, is a baseball player and student at Charleston Southern University. Coleman-Singleton also had two younger children, writes the Post and Courier.

Tywanza Sanders, 26: He was a 2014 graduate in business administration from Allen University in Columbia. Lady June Cole, the interim president of Allen University, described him as "a quiet, well-known student who was committed to his education." Known as Ty, he had worked in sales at department stores such as Belk and Macy's.

Ethel Lance, 70: She had attended Emanuel for most of her life and worked there as a custodian, as well. From 1968 to 2002, she worked as a custodian at Charleston's Gaillard Municipal Auditorium. The Post and Courier quotes a former colleague as saying, "She was funny and a pleasure to be around. And she was a wonderful mother and grandmother."

Susie Jackson, 87: Lance's cousin, she was a longtime church member.

Depayne Middleton Doctor, 49: The mother of four sang in Emanuel's choir. She had previously directed a community development program in Charleston County. In December, she started a new job as an admissions coordinator at the Charleston campus of her alma mater, Southern Wesleyan University. SWU President Todd Voss said: "Always a warm and enthusiastic leader, DePayne truly believed in the mission of SWU to help students achieve their potential by connecting faith with learning. Our prayers go out to family and friends. This is a great loss for our students and the Charleston region."

The Rev. Daniel Simmons, 74: Simmons survived the initial attack but then died in a hospital operating room. He had previously been a pastor at another church in the Charleston area.

Myra Thompson, 59: She was the wife of the Rev. Anthony Thompson, the vicar of Holy Trinity Reformed Episcopal Church in Charleston.
    Post edited by Degeneratefk on
  • Options
    3 of the victims were ages 70, 74, and 87. These are 3 people that lived through the civil rights movement in the deep south just to be murdered by this punk just because they were black. How disgusting.