You

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    edited May 2015
    cdysinge said:

I reward my kids if they can trick/fool me. Thinking something through and making plans is a skill lost nowadays it seems. While I am sure it is the wrong thing to do with the kids (it will make them devious) I'm proud when they do something bad and can cover it up well enough. I find out things later bad they did and give a reward.

I have to know what the appropriate reward is for successfully lying to your parents. It's possible I have been under-rewarding.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165

I think this forum is a good place to be when you're feeling down actually, I feel it's safe to share feelings (and secrets!) here. I'd say things here that I would never ever post on fb where people who know me would see

I posted on a depression/anxiety help group page not long ago and it appeared on my Facebook friend's newsfeeds.
    I have learnt my lesson.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    brianlux said:

I have let myself down, failed miserably. I have felt that way far too often.

:frowning:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790

cdysinge said:

I reward my kids if they can trick/fool me. Thinking something through and making plans is a skill lost nowadays it seems. While I am sure it is the wrong thing to do with the kids (it will make them devious) I'm proud when they do something bad and can cover it up well enough. I find out things later bad they did and give a reward.

I have to know what the appropriate reward is for successfully lying to your parents. It's possible I have been under-rewarding.
    It could be as simple as an extra treat after dinner to a cash prize for something good. My theory is if your kids are going to plot to do something bad they should at least think it through. Hide the candy wrappers, dont just leave them out type of thing. That might get an extra treat. Now if they think to bury the wrappers in the trash so I don't see them that might be worth some cash. God knows what they are getting away with I dont know about though.

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630

I think this forum is a good place to be when you're feeling down actually, I feel it's safe to share feelings (and secrets!) here. I'd say things here that I would never ever post on fb where people who know me would see

I posted on a depression/anxiety help group page not long ago and it appeared on my Facebook friend's newsfeeds.
    I have learnt my lesson.
    What a bummer, Thoughts, I'm sorry to hear that happned. FB is an ok place to keep up news and issues and what not but it's too easy for personal stuff to get spread around. It's also irritating to me that if I look some product up on line be it a book or record or whatever, I inevitably get ads on FB for that item. The only way to avoid that is to block cookies every time I look something up but what a hassle.

This forum is much better over all. People are helpful here without spreading gossip (at least that's been my experience).

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

I have learnt my lesson.
    What a bummer, Thoughts, I'm sorry to hear that happned. FB is an ok place to keep up news and issues and what not but it's too easy for personal stuff to get spread around. It's also irritating to me that if I look some product up on line be it a book or record or whatever, I inevitably get ads on FB for that item. The only way to avoid that is to block cookies every time I look something up but what a hassle.

This forum is much better over all. People are helpful here without spreading gossip (at least that's been my experience).

Very true. Vent all you need here. We'll listen.
    cdysinge said:

cdysinge said:

It could be as simple as an extra treat after dinner to a cash prize for something good. My theory is if your kids are going to plot to do something bad they should at least think it through. Hide the candy wrappers, dont just leave them out type of thing. That might get an extra treat. Now if they think to bury the wrappers in the trash so I don't see them that might be worth some cash. God knows what they are getting away with I dont know about though.

I see. So at this point you are rewarding the effort, not necessarily the accomplishment, because you will not find out about a truly successful deception.

If at some point you disappear from the board without a trace, we'll all know who's responsible. Let's just hope the don't co-opt Boomer.
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    https://youtu.be/aC1OAab0lt4?t=42
    I can't help posting a song I like that is an exact match of the thread title.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682
    I have a very weird habit of imagining people dying. I suspect it's some sort of preemptive coping mechanism as I have a terrible fear of the finality of death so maybe I figure by imagining what it'll be like then I'll be better able to manage when I lose people

We're only scratching the surface of my weirdness by the way :p
    ^^ We're not the poster children of normalcy around here, so you are in good company! =)
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Weird? Nah....we all have our idiosyncrasies. Embrace them.
    ELITIST FUK
  • deadendp said:

We're not the poster children of normalcy around here, so you are in good company! =)

• fifefife Posts: 3,327

fife said:

until the age of 12, i had braces on my legs.

Well that's interesting, all good now I hope?
    not really but atleast I don't have braces anymore.

another thing most people don't know is that I failed grade one after a big car accident where i went through a car window. its a shock i was approved for life insurance

cdysinge said:

cdysinge said:

I see. So at this point you are rewarding the effort, not necessarily the accomplishment, because you will not find out about a truly successful deception.

If at some point you disappear from the board without a trace, we'll all know who's responsible. Let's just hope the don't co-opt Boomer.
    One of the saddest days to me was when my first born at the age of 5 or 6 swiped her hand held video game she was grounded from to sneak and play. I found it later in her room. I was more mad she didn't think to put it back when she was done.

This was born from my own self of course. When I was 16 and my parents went out of town I threw a party as all kids do. Afterwards I walked around and made a list of everything to be done to put the house back perfect. I then executed the list. My parents got home and the house was perfect other than I forgot to throw out the list. My Mother found it and laughed. My theories are her fault :)

Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Today's not so revelatory revelation is that I don't take criticism well at all at all :p

Today's not so revelatory revelation is that I don't take criticism well at all at all :p

Well, really, who does?
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863

Well, really, who does?
    Agreed...even if you show outwardly that you're taking it well....inside you're crumbling...it's hard to swallow that pill!!!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    edited May 2015
    I'm working on half sleeve tattoos on my forearms....will have ink on my upper arms as well, but I have fatter arms, so they probably won't be sleeved up top...
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJSiren said:

I'm working on half sleeve tattoos on my forearms....will have ink on my upper arms as well, but I have fatter arms, so they probably won't be sleeved up top...

Please share pics when done. I have the pyramid/sun with the eyeball in the middle on my left forearm. The freemason one (I'm not a freemason, just thought it would be a great tattoo). I was reading the other day both the freemasons and most native american tribes believed in balance over all else. Your body is symmetrical so it will balance out. The sun represents your good side and is one side of your body, the moon your evil side (which they happen to also say is your feminine side). I'm looking for a wikid moon with an eye to put on my other forearm as the balance thing is cool. I have it planned with my wife as my fathers day gift. If I cant find anything in another week I will have the guy who does all my ink now draw it for me. Plus my work is cool with it since I can still put on a long sleeve shirt when around any customers which rarely ever happens. No neck, no hands and no face which I wouldn't do anyways.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:

PJSiren said:

Please share pics when done. I have the pyramid/sun with the eyeball in the middle on my left forearm. The freemason one (I'm not a freemason, just thought it would be a great tattoo). I was reading the other day both the freemasons and most native american tribes believed in balance over all else. Your body is symmetrical so it will balance out. The sun represents your good side and is one side of your body, the moon your evil side (which they happen to also say is your feminine side). I'm looking for a wikid moon with an eye to put on my other forearm as the balance thing is cool. I have it planned with my wife as my fathers day gift. If I cant find anything in another week I will have the guy who does all my ink now draw it for me. Plus my work is cool with it since I can still put on a long sleeve shirt when around any customers which rarely ever happens. No neck, no hands and no face which I wouldn't do anyways.
    Awesome...yeah I posted pics of what I currently have in the tattoo thread...with explanations...My work is totally cool with mine also...and I actually do have neck and hand tattoos...lol Not big ones though....
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • SarahSarah Posts: 736
    I took Ballet as a youngster, plus half a year of Modern Jazz (a.k.a. 1990 hip-hop dance).
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    I skip just breathe at bootlegs
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

You're definitely not alone there!
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100

I have a very weird habit of imagining people dying. I suspect it's some sort of preemptive coping mechanism as I have a terrible fear of the finality of death so maybe I figure by imagining what it'll be like then I'll be better able to manage when I lose people

How do you know death is such a finality, when virtually everything else in the universe is cyclical?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7

:lol:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527

I skip it whenever, studio, bootlegs, I just get really annoyed with it.
    FrankieG said:

How do you know death is such a finality, when virtually everything else in the universe is cyclical?
    Oh even though I'm an atheist I would absolutely love to believe in reincarnation! Unfortunately I can't help feeling that nothing awaits us but nothingness itself

FrankieG said:

Oh even though I'm an atheist I would absolutely love to believe in reincarnation! Unfortunately I can't help feeling that nothing awaits us but nothingness itself
    Oh I'm not saying reincarnation, but something/anything instead of *nothing*. I'm athiest too. Any specific reason for the feeling of nothingness?
    FrankieG said:

FrankieG said:

Oh I'm not saying reincarnation, but something/anything instead of *nothing*. I'm athiest too. Any specific reason for the feeling of nothingness?
    Well what evidence is there for anything else? Unless you have some religious beliefs, how could you possibly imagine there is anything beyond death? After all, we are nothing more than a bunch of cells at the end of the day...

Sorry for being terribly depressing :)