You

Comments

• NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    i got a 2 perfect attendance awards in school growing up. nowadays i make sure i take my 10 personal days from work...lol
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682
    SD48277 said:

Today I contacted the Civil Service Employee Assistance Service. They provide confidential (I hope) support to employees and I guess I'm hoping that maybe if I can get up the courage to talk to one of their officers that it might be some small step in the right direction in terms of finding some sort of happiness in my life. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what kind of service these officers are meant to provide but I guess it's no harm to find out. As long as it's confidential I guess it's worth a try.

I get the impression from this forum that the idea of seeing a therapist isn't all that unusual to a lot of people in other countries, believe me it would be extremely unusual in Ireland. We don't really do the whole 'talking about feelings' thing here and we certainly wouldn't fancy paying for it! I suppose this is my half-hearted effort at getting a form of therapy or counselling though....

Jenny, I applaud your efforts to seek out some help. It's true: therapy has lost a lot of its stigma here, but only after years of people openly talking about it. I hope they are able to assist you. Remember--you can always come here to vent/share, and you can always pm me if you want. Good luck!
    Thank you very much and WH and oftenreading too :) I have to ring the officer for my department tomorrow to make an appointment, so hopefully I won't chicken out
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    Until this year...or say the past 9 months or so...I haven't have long hair in a very long time...like over a decade, I cut it to a pixie in college and kept a pixie most of that time...I did have a reverse mullet in there as well...but for the majority of that time it was a pixie and now it's long again...like shoulder length...the sides aren't quite shoulder length yet, but the back is....I'm really proud of myself for letting it grow out...because I've had many failed attempts....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    I've never finished kindergarten or grade eight.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527

I never finished Kjndergarten either. For OD'd reasons.. How did you manage that and eighth grade?
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i keep my promises..
    travel once from Greece to Madrid,Spain to look someone in the eyes for 5 seconds and gave her a rose and return the same day back to Greece..cos i promise ill see her eyes one more time before i die
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    when I am listening to music, I don't like being interrupted.

I never finished Kjndergarten either. For OD'd reasons.. How did you manage that and eighth grade?
    wait.....you OD'd in kindergarten? never mind what I say.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305

i keep my promises..
    travel once from Greece to Madrid,Spain to look someone in the eyes for 5 seconds and gave her a rose and return the same day back to Greece..cos i promise ill see her eyes one more time before i die

Dimitris, I absolutely believe you would keep a promise like this one.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851

Our house burned down the winter was in Kindergarten so we moved a lot for the rest of the year and I never go re-enrolled. About halfway through my grade eight year I decided getting messed up, hanging out with older people and going to the bar was more fun than going to school, it took three months for my mom to figure out I wasn't in school anymore. As she was more concerned with being with her boyfriend than making sure her 13 yr old went to school I just never went back. I didn't go back until I moved in with my Dad across the province. Due to the fact that this was '91, by the time they got my school records and discovered that I had lied about what year I was supposed to be in I was three months into grade 9 and maintaining an A average in advanced classes. I was given a pass as I obviously knew the material. and didn't need to repeat the year.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Malroth said:

when I am listening to music, I don't like being interrupted.

wait.....you OD'd in kindergarten? never mind what I say.
    No I just suck at typing, ten fingers, umpteen keys, one eyeball.. Typing is NOT my strong suit! That was supposed to say ODD.

Our house burned down the winter was in Kindergarten so we moved a lot for the rest of the year and I never go re-enrolled. About halfway through my grade eight year I decided getting messed up, hanging out with older people and going to the bar was more fun than going to school, it took three months for my mom to figure out I wasn't in school anymore. As she was more concerned with being with her boyfriend than making sure her 13 yr old went to school I just never went back. I didn't go back until I moved in with my Dad across the province. Due to the fact that this was '91, by the time they got my school records and discovered that I had lied about what year I was supposed to be in I was three months into grade 9 and maintaining an A average in advanced classes. I was given a pass as I obviously knew the material. and didn't need to repeat the year.
    Kindergarten got skipped for me because I started it, but when they saw that my mother had taught me to read and write and count, and minor adding and subtracting, they sorta 'kicked me out' by telling my mother to just wait and let me come in on first grade. So she did.
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    I make smart kids. My son always has been really smart. Really, really smart. Here in AZ they no longer skip grades as they found it hurts them socially as much as it helps them academically. Now they pull them out for the core subjects and let them skip a grade in just those classes. My son went from 3rd grade math into 5th grade math this last year. He got an A+ despite never doing his homework (he is a lazy turd) and never once asking for help. We got back his standardized test scores and my little degenerate scored above the 99th% percentile in 5th grade math. I don't know what they will do next year with him yet. We got a letter from ASU inviting him and us to attend some kid future leader stuff. He turns 10 tomorrow. What will he lead us to. How to lead a chocolate bar into our tummies.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Turns out I'm not considered to be a civil servant so no employee assistance service for me. Oh well, I did try...

Turns out I'm not considered to be a civil servant so no employee assistance service for me. Oh well, I did try...

So then what do they consider you to be?

Good question. A public servant I think, which for their purposes is distinct from a civil servant, even though the government pays all our wages and determines our budget...

Good question. A public servant I think, which for their purposes is distinct from a civil servant, even though the government pays all our wages and determines our budget...
    But nIt medical coverage?? That's odd.

Well it's not medical, we don't get any insurance or healthcare with my job. This is just some kind of counselling service, I'm not even sure what they do to he honest. Was just hoping for someone to talk to I guess

Well it's not medical, we don't get any insurance or healthcare with my job. This is just some kind of counselling service, I'm not even sure what they do to he honest. Was just hoping for someone to talk to I guess
    Is there any city, province, or county services available through the government? ( sorry I don't know if Ireland provides any care services)? I just can't imagine that there is nothing.. But even so, Jenny, we are all always here to talk to. And better than any free service?? We're sorta your family. Anyhow I really hope you find a counsellor to
    Talk through everything with you. Because finding what makes you happy is important. P.S. Have you tried talking to Aafke?? She's a therapist, and might have some ideas for you. :-)
    edited June 2015

Is there any city, province, or county services available through the government? ( sorry I don't know if Ireland provides any care services)? I just can't imagine that there is nothing.. But even so, Jenny, we are all always here to talk to. And better than any free service?? We're sorta your family. Anyhow I really hope you find a counsellor to
    Talk through everything with you. Because finding what makes you happy is important. P.S. Have you tried talking to Aafke?? She's a therapist, and might have some ideas for you. :-)
    Thanks, it is a great help to be able to post here. There are services like Aware and the Samaritans for depression, so I guess I could always try them again. They can't actually help change my life though so I guess that's really my problem to fix! Just wish I could figure out how
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on

Thanks, it is a great help to be able to post here. There are services like Aware and the Samaritans for depression, so I guess I could always try them again. They can't actually help change my life though so I guess that's really my problem to fix! Just wish I could figure out how
    Have you considered a Life Coach?
    It's just someone that helps you sort out where you are in life, and then they help you structure together a set of goals within a plan to achieve change in your life.
    Haha, appreciate the suggestion but I doubt we have them here :) Also my problems I suspect are beyond the powers of a life coach to fix. Still, there's no doubt many others have far tougher lives than me so I probably just need to stop moaning and get on with things
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243

Haha, appreciate the suggestion but I doubt we have them here :) Also my problems I suspect are beyond the powers of a life coach to fix. Still, there's no doubt many others have far tougher lives than me so I probably just need to stop moaning and get on with things

As far as the Life Coach suggestion, my cousin is one. I can put you in touch with her, if you'd like. She can let you know if what you want to fix is in her realm, or possibly make other recommendations.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    I didn't have to take a drivers test. I got a waiver for getting 100% during drivers ed.

I didn't have to take a drivers test. I got a waiver for getting 100% during drivers ed.

I failed my first driver's test...because when I parallel parked, my tired rubbed the curb...didn't hop it just rubbed it...and the bastard said that was it and I'd have to take the test again....I was sooooooo pissed....lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    PJSiren said:

I failed my first driver's test...because when I parallel parked, my tired rubbed the curb...didn't hop it just rubbed it...and the bastard said that was it and I'd have to take the test again....I was sooooooo pissed....lol
    I got failed the first time because I went too slow when approaching a crosswalk in a school zone. "had there been traffic, I would have been impeding the flow of traffic". I was going 20!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

PJSiren said:

I got failed the first time because I went too slow when approaching a crosswalk in a school zone. "had there been traffic, I would have been impeding the flow of traffic". I was going 20!
    I dunno about you, but where I live that's the speed in a school zone....LMAO!
    Tattooed Dissident!

You would be surprised! At least do a search and see if there's anyone along those lines. Sometimes we just get so overwhelmed that it takes an unbiased point of view to help us negotiate our way back out of the mess we get ourselves into. Which is exactly what a life coach does. I have a friend in KC that does this, and she sees everything from domestic abuse recovery to situations like your own where folks are just unsure of themselves outside of particular perspectives, and need a push to get them
    Moving forward, but her motto is this. : YOU are important. YOUR HAPPINESS matters. :-)
    And take Susan up on that offer!! It makes a world of difference to have support!
    I had my IQ tested at 13. It was 162. It still is.
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    edited June 2015
    I am a good singer. And WH, you are a clever girl.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014