Comments

• whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    Education. I honestly think knowledge be obtained freely.. Yet I understand the need for teachers and professors being paid.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888

ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

Well have to agree to disagree. It's a grimey move to make your students buy the book you wrote.

So if your prof was Stephen Hawking and he was teaching an Astrophysics Theory course or something and used "A Brief History of Time" as one of the textbooks, you would think he's being grimey?
    Sorry, but it makes no sense for a prof to avoid using a textbook that he wrote about the very subject he's teaching.
    Look I'm sill on the agree to disagree bandwagon but that analogy you made completely ignores the point I made earlier. He's not stephen fucking hawking, he's a nobody teaching at a public school, and he's not teaching a specialized field like astrophysics, he's teaching a fucking intro philosophy course. The materials have been studies for thousands of years there's no breakthroughs being made in shit Socrates said.
    Stephen hawking making kids buy his book for class, arguably grimey. He's famous. He can afford to give it for free. Stephen hawking wanting to teach class from the book he wrote, understandable since he's like the top guy of his field. Not that know anything about it but I get the impression he's kind of a big deal.
    Again I'll repeat, it's out of place with what the rest of the department does. The majority of materials in the department are distributed for free, copies from books made available in pdf packets. The exception bring the modern, specialized stuff, like SCIENCE and biomedical ethics.

Ok? We clear? Agree to disagree. Homie is grimey. Stephen hawking ain't got NOTHING to do with what I'm talking about. We're not talking about a guy like Cornell west or a school like NYU. It's different. I'm pretty sure WH's English teacher was a similar scenario.
    I think I took it personally because he only uses a portion of the book.. Which was his take on early Semantic Prose. So I spent 85 dollars for one chapter to be covered.. ( the shortest chapter in the book by the way!)
    That is definitely not cool. No course should ever force students to buy an expensive book for only one chapter. That's a no-no.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    Cable TV!!!!
    Which is why I got rid of Cable TV a few months ago.

Actually, getting rid of Cable TV is probably one of the TOP 5 GREATEST accomplishments in my life!!!!

Yeah, my life isn't too exciting.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,095

Cable TV!!!!

Actually, getting rid of Cable TV is probably one of the TOP 5 GREATEST accomplishments in my life!!!!

I could do w/o given the advent of Amazon/Netflix/HBO go so that I could watch the select shows that I enjoy watching at my own time.....BUT......I could never do without the sports in my normal environment. I watch sports a ton and w/o cable I wouldnt be able to chill in my den @ night and read a book, have a drink, smoke, etc...with the game on in the background. (Hockey, Baseball, Football.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418

Cable TV!!!!

I could do w/o given the advent of Amazon/Netflix/HBO go so that I could watch the select shows that I enjoy watching at my own time.....BUT......I could never do without the sports in my normal environment. I watch sports a ton and w/o cable I wouldnt be able to chill in my den @ night and read a book, have a drink, smoke, etc...with the game on in the background. (Hockey, Baseball, Football.)
    I have gotten used to not watching sports over the years. Its easy, I work nights.
    My basic channels give me my sports on the weekends.
    Im good.

Yeah, if I worked days, and was home nights, it might be a different story.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • GillycwGillycw Posts: 524

imalive said:

over the counter medicine, in general...most of it doesn't do shit and it's absurdly expensive.

when I get sick, I just gut it out.

if they made something for a hangover that worked, I'd pay any price. but they don't...so I take some kirkland ibuprofen that doesn't do anything but is cheap.

Menudo is great for hangovers. And cheap.
    What is it?? Where do u get it?? I'll need it on Sunday
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,457
    Diapers, garbage bags, toilet paper, napkins, car repair.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
    Gillycw said:

imalive said:

over the counter medicine, in general...most of it doesn't do shit and it's absurdly expensive.

if they made something for a hangover that worked, I'd pay any price. but they don't...so I take some kirkland ibuprofen that doesn't do anything but is cheap.

You are in luck because it is served only on weekends at many places. Not sure if they have lots of Mexican food places in Sydney but if it is a good one, odds are they will make a mean Menudo.
    Menudo is a soup made with Tripe (cow stomach) and red chili peppers. It is awesome -- may sound not-so-great but if you have had some good Menudo you will dig it. (I have not used it for hangover battling purposes but I may have to try some time.)

I can't stand buying batteries.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859

Gillycw said:

imalive said:

You are in luck because it is served only on weekends at many places. Not sure if they have lots of Mexican food places in Sydney but if it is a good one, odds are they will make a mean Menudo.
    Menudo is a soup made with Tripe (cow stomach) and red chili peppers. It is awesome -- may sound not-so-great but if you have had some good Menudo you will dig it. (I have not used it for hangover battling purposes but I may have to try some time.)

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh That's what you're talking about. I've had a Colombian Tripe soup Mondongo? I dunno if I'm spelling it right. I didn't like it.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    Gillycw said:

imalive said:

Any good Mexican resturaunt has it. But don't ask what is is until you've tried it.. Just fair warning. But GOD it works!!
    ldent42 said:

Gillycw said:

imalive said:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh That's what you're talking about. I've had a Colombian Tripe soup Mondongo? I dunno if I'm spelling it right. I didn't like it.
    Different flavoring.. But same principle.
    I am not drinking any Mandingo soup.
    Just saying.

I cant stand buying cereal. I love cereal, dont get me wrong. I cant stand buying cereal because of the cost. We go through so much of it and that shit is expensive. If I buy the Wegmans/Shop Rite brands the family revolts even though it tastes pretty much the same. And dont get me started on Organic Fucking Cereal.
    Light bulbs..
  • Light bulbs..

Yes, me too!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Service fees on bills or when you go to buy tickets.
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 said:

Service fees on bills or when you go to buy tickets.

OMG!! Right??
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,524

cdysinge said:

Why has none of the males said products for their significant others when aunt flo comes to visit. It was yet another time when a piece of my soul died when I finally agreed to start picking them up when at the store for my queen. I still to this day though bury them in the cart and use the self scan station. I only have about 40% of my soul left so I have to be careful.

Not sure I get this perspective. I've bought them for my significant other and my daughter on several occassions. So what? Walk up and pay for them. Its not like I'm buying them for myself and they're obviously a necessity during that time. It has no impact on my manhood or my soul to do this for either of them.
    yeah, I have never understood the issue guys have buying female hygeine products. if anything, I'd think buying TP would be worse, given what goes on it.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

booze. it's ridiculously expensive compared to the US. it's criminal how much our federal government taxes us on that shit.

www.headstonesband.com

Just saying.

LMAO!!!

www.headstonesband.com

• PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    Flip Flops...the boat shoe thread made me think of this...they're so expensive for a piece of foam and plastic...it's ridiculous!!! But a must have in the summer time...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!

cdysinge said:

Why has none of the males said products for their significant others when aunt flo comes to visit. It was yet another time when a piece of my soul died when I finally agreed to start picking them up when at the store for my queen. I still to this day though bury them in the cart and use the self scan station. I only have about 40% of my soul left so I have to be careful.

Not sure I get this perspective. I've bought them for my significant other and my daughter on several occassions. So what? Walk up and pay for them. Its not like I'm buying them for myself and they're obviously a necessity during that time. It has no impact on my manhood or my soul to do this for either of them.
    yeah, I have never understood the issue guys have buying female hygeine products. if anything, I'd think buying TP would be worse, given what goes on it.

No offense to anyone, but I always thought that a man who refuses to buy tampons is simply an immature man.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJSiren said:

Flip Flops...the boat shoe thread made me think of this...they're so expensive for a piece of foam and plastic...it's ridiculous!!! But a must have in the summer time...

I got a good women's pair of flio flops the other day (no plastic involved - nice slender looking black ones with an arch) at Costco for $13. You might want to check that out. Very possible that all Costco are selling them right now.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJSiren said:

I got a good women's pair of flio flops the other day (no plastic involved - nice slender looking black ones with an arch) at Costco for $13. You might want to check that out. Very possible that all Costco are selling them right now.
    I don't have a costco membership...but I'm kinda partial to the ones with plastic...they don't rub me...the ones with fabric or rubber tend to rub my foot raw across the top...I can get them at our local Fred Meyer for like 5 dollars, and they last all summer then I try and buy more towards the end of the summer when they clearance them...cuz I really wear flops all year round, even in the rain...lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus Posts: 828
    Gas.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!

Just saying.

LMAO!!!

Another dirty birdie! lol
    edited May 2015
    PJSiren said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJSiren said:

I don't have a costco membership...but I'm kinda partial to the ones with plastic...they don't rub me...the ones with fabric or rubber tend to rub my foot raw across the top...I can get them at our local Fred Meyer for like 5 dollars, and they last all summer then I try and buy more towards the end of the summer when they clearance them...cuz I really wear flops all year round, even in the rain...lol
    They're not fabric or rubber either. They are a nice soft material - some kind of treated foam i guess - with a bit of a leather appearance. Very non-rubby, lol. I was excited to find them for so cheap actually. Flip flops with a non-cheap looking, non-rubbing, soft but durable material and with an arch are hard to find.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJSiren said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJSiren said:

They're not fabric or rubber either. They are a nice soft material - some kind of treated foam i guess - with a bit of a leather appearance. Very non-rubby, lol. I was excited to find them for so cheap actually. Flip flops with a non-cheap looking, non-rubbing, soft but durable material and with an arch are hard to find.
    Well, that's cool, Yeah hard to find them with an arch...I had one pair once with an arch...
    Tattooed Dissident!
    I could just mail you all of mine. Stupid nuerapathy makes em' possible to keep them on
    My feet!!
    What I need is a good soft materialed SANDAL.. Cause I have nerve damage on the top of the right foot, and even just normal shoes hurt to wear.. But I can't wear flip
    Flops anymore.. Cause I can't feel if my toes have hold of them! It's pathetically funny, and depressing at the same time! Hahaha!

Just saying.

LMAO!!!

Another dirty birdie! lol
    I'm 10 years married. 'nuff said.

www.headstonesband.com