Comments

• Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790

Bedroom sets are ridiculous. I had to buy just a bed a few years ago and was floored. Furniture in general is over priced.

Furniture is the most marked up retail item on the planet along with Diamonds. Its insane how they can mark something up that high and get away with it.

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    cdysinge said:

Bedroom sets are ridiculous. I had to buy just a bed a few years ago and was floored. Furniture in general is over priced.

Furniture is the most marked up retail item on the planet along with Diamonds. Its insane how they can mark something up that high and get away with it.

You're supposed to dicker with those people on that stuff...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    I texted you WH...but for anyone else who wants the homemade laundry soap recipe....

Borax
    Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
    Bar soap (something natural like Ivory)

You ground up the bar soap in like a blender, we use a food processor.

Then you mix the ingredients together, it is:
    1 cup Borax
    1 cup Washing Soda
    1 bar of soap

You can of course make as much as you want...we usually make it with 2-3 of each and it lasts us months...

If you want Fabric softener with it you use white vinegar as fabric softener and it works just the same...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    RKCNDY said:

cdysinge said:

Dicker....... Should this be moved to the 21 or over degenerate thread?

Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:

RKCNDY said:

cdysinge said:

You don't like me talking about how I dicker with the jewelery guy? I cont wait to dicker with the mattress guy...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    RKCNDY said:

cdysinge said:

RKCNDY said:

cdysinge said:

You don't like me talking about how I dicker with the jewelery guy? I cont wait to dicker with the mattress guy...
    Dicker? You mean haggle?
    I've been "going to" buy a mattress for the past year. I haven't done cuz the idea of dealing with them makes me cringe. I had a Marketing teacher explain to us once that the mattress manufacturers only make x number type of mattresses. Then every single store, Sleepys, Macys, whatever, gets "their" version of it, which is sold under the name unique for them so it cannot be price matched at other stores. And the only difference in the mattress is like the color of the stitching, IF even that. But because it has a different name, you can't price shop it.

I thought of a new one: Textbooks. I once had a teacher put a book HE WROTE on the "required materials". That shit should be illegal.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

That's why I'm glad that I live just north of Amish Country. We bought our bedroom furniture piece by piece. Because my husband needed to have the bed built to his height specifications (to accommodate the CD collection containers under the bed), we waited 6 months. We have a "rake bed" and all the pieces had to be steam bent. They were happy to do it as long as we were willing to wait. The cost of our special order solid oak bed? $550. The mattress set was made down there, too and delivered along with. For a queen pillow top (both sides) and the box spring, it was $550. Our armoire is solid oak and was $770, including delivery. Everything else was crappy pressed wood, a lot shorter, not as wide or had "spongy drawers." Also, everything else at local furniture stores was $1500 and up. They knew us. They worked with us. Our furniture was made on site. Delivery was reasonable and they came in and set everything up.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,095

When we moved into our house it was a tremendous expense that was double what I budgeted for it. (And I thought I budgeted a huge amount!)
    After everything added up the bedroom furniture/mattress was so the most expensive out of all of the rooms. Outrageous.

I cant stand buying diapers. But is has to beat scrubbing shit out of cloth / the alternative.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

cdysinge said:

RKCNDY said:

cdysinge said:

Dicker? You mean haggle?
    I've been "going to" buy a mattress for the past year. I haven't done cuz the idea of dealing with them makes me cringe. I had a Marketing teacher explain to us once that the mattress manufacturers only make x number type of mattresses. Then every single store, Sleepys, Macys, whatever, gets "their" version of it, which is sold under the name unique for them so it cannot be price matched at other stores. And the only difference in the mattress is like the color of the stitching, IF even that. But because it has a different name, you can't price shop it.

I thought of a new one: Textbooks. I once had a teacher put a book HE WROTE on the "required materials". That shit should be illegal.
    I hate that!!^^^^ I had an English professor in college that did that!! Made me so
    Mad!! Was the most expensive book in the Syllabus!!!
    ldent42 said:

Dicker? You mean haggle?

Of course! Cell phones are the same way, so you can't price shop those either.
    I don't mind going to different stores to look at different styles of certain products. The sales people don't like me because I won't fall for their 'up-sells'..."no, I don't want your extended warranty".

Fucking textbooks pissed me off... I took an online class (yeah AT the college) and we were required to purchase workbooks, the pack of workbooks was like a series of 30, and ridiculously expensive...the class only needed 10 of them, so you were basically forced to take the 3 quarter series of classes to get your money's worth.

I hate buying water...I'm perfectly fine bringing my own, but some venues/fairs won't let you bring your own, you have to buy it from them. They jack up the prices more than soda sometimes too...and you wonder why people are fat?

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

Dicker? You mean haggle?

I don't mind going to different stores to look at different styles of certain products. The sales people don't like me because I won't fall for their 'up-sells'..."no, I don't want your extended warranty".

Fucking textbooks pissed me off... I took an online class (yeah AT the college) and we were required to purchase workbooks, the pack of workbooks was like a series of 30, and ridiculously expensive...the class only needed 10 of them, so you were basically forced to take the 3 quarter series of classes to get your money's worth.

I hate buying water...I'm perfectly fine bringing my own, but some venues/fairs won't let you bring your own, you have to buy it from them. They jack up the prices more than soda sometimes too...and you wonder why people are fat?
    Buy one bottle, refill it in the bathroom sink! I hate that they do that too. But that's what I do. Except for Wrigley.. 1.00 couldn't beat that. I dreamt about that crazy dude and his cooler of water last night!! Lol
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,095
    edited May 2015
    RKCNDY said:

...and you wonder why people are fat?

Not really. :lol:

I cant stand buying something and being upsold in such an obvious manner. Cant blame companies for doing it though. The only one of those I like is 'would you like a double for a dollar more?'
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

Dicker? You mean haggle?

Buy one bottle, refill it in the bathroom sink! I hate that they do that too. But that's what I do. Except for Wrigley.. 1.00 couldn't beat that. I dreamt about that crazy dude and his cooler of water last night!! Lol
    Rome surprised the crap out of me with that. The tourist office even sold these flat pack bottles for like 2 euro cuz the water coming out the fountains is good for drinking. I thought they were having a laugh until I saw several people (apparently local people) actually using the water for drinking or washing their face/hands. I never used the flat bottle but I did refill a regular bottle once. And I did not get dysentery so it must have been good.
    I bought one of those bottles with the built in filter so I wouldn't have to buy water while out. Unfortunately I left it on a bus and I haven't found one I like enough to replace it.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

Dicker? You mean haggle?

Rome surprised the crap out of me with that. The tourist office even sold these flat pack bottles for like 2 euro cuz the water coming out the fountains is good for drinking. I thought they were having a laugh until I saw several people (apparently local people) actually using the water for drinking or washing their face/hands. I never used the flat bottle but I did refill a regular bottle once. And I did not get dysentery so it must have been good.
    I bought one of those bottles with the built in filter so I wouldn't have to buy water while out. Unfortunately I left it on a bus and I haven't found one I like enough to replace it.
    That SUCKS! I left my refillable bottle, a really nice stainless steel one, at Garden of the Gods last month.. Really sucks cause I can't afford to replace it!

ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

Dicker? You mean haggle?

That SUCKS! I left my refillable bottle, a really nice stainless steel one, at Garden of the Gods last month.. Really sucks cause I can't afford to replace it!
    Same reason I haven't replaced mine. I don't like the ones with the "sport spout" it skeeved me out. The one I lost had a top like a coffee .... thing.... where you slide back the tab to reveal the drink hole - and it was $30. I buy the local (Adirondack) supplied bottled water for $3-$4 for a 24 pack. Yes I'm killing the planet but it's easier than replacing the filtered bottle right now. And before anyone gives me shit about NY tap water being clean to drink - I live in a "pre war" building so while the water might be fuckin' clean I do not believe the pipes to be! tyvm.

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

Dicker? You mean haggle?

Same reason I haven't replaced mine. I don't like the ones with the "sport spout" it skeeved me out. The one I lost had a top like a coffee .... thing.... where you slide back the tab to reveal the drink hole - and it was $30. I buy the local (Adirondack) supplied bottled water for $3-$4 for a 24 pack. Yes I'm killing the planet but it's easier than replacing the filtered bottle right now. And before anyone gives me shit about NY tap water being clean to drink - I live in a "pre war" building so while the water might be fuckin' clean I do not believe the pipes to be! tyvm.

Wow! That's an old building! And I use the bottles for other things.. Like I keep them ( refilled) in my back pack for emergencies.. Or use them to refill my cat's water dish. Or the dog's but yeah I need to find a good recycle center, cause I can't just throw them
    Away......
    I wanted to use them for pots to grow cilantro and basil and shit but then I remembered that I'll never do that and now I just recycle them. But I was using them as cups. Like I'd buy a bottle of OJ or Pomegranate Juice and fill the empty water bottles with it. I'll go back to that when mom comes back home, it makes it possible for her to get herself a drink from the fridge when she wants.

Have I said copy paper already? Or just office supplies in general? I spent so long working in offices and I have so little use for these things that it wasn't until this year I needed to buy scotch tape and printer paper. I got lucky with the printer paper cuz for whatever reason staples had it on sale for free after rebate. But a single roll of scotch tape was like $4. Seriously? That's just madness.
    ldent42 said:

I wanted to use them for pots to grow cilantro and basil and shit but then I remembered that I'll never do that and now I just recycle them. But I was using them as cups. Like I'd buy a bottle of OJ or Pomegranate Juice and fill the empty water bottles with it. I'll go back to that when mom comes back home, it makes it possible for her to get herself a drink from the fridge when she wants.

You actually aren't supposed to re-use the bottles. It has to do with the bacteria in your mouth and hands. The water bottle becomes a great home for them to have mega sex and reproduce and become too high a level for you. In fact they even say dont wash them as the plastic leches impurities into the water after a period. Use once and recycle.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:

ldent42 said:

You actually aren't supposed to re-use the bottles. It has to do with the bacteria in your mouth and hands. The water bottle becomes a great home for them to have mega sex and reproduce and become too high a level for you. In fact they even say dont wash them as the plastic leches impurities into the water after a period. Use once and recycle.
    Well that's a total fucking waste of money! But thanks for telling us that.. I've been reusing the bottles for YEARS! I always just thought that was BS.
    ewwwwwwwww. What's special about the bottles though?
    ldent42 said:

ewwwwwwwww. What's special about the bottles though?

Nothing special. I just can't justify spending that much money and only using them ONCE! That was why I bought the SS bottle. Really wish I hadn't lost that! :-(
    No I mean whats special about them that makes them unsafe to reuse? I've contacted the manufacturer to ask if they are safe to reuse once before recycling
    I have no idea.. I just always wrote it off as BS.. Most often things like that are gimmicks to make you buy more, so I just ignore it.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh for long term use, yea I get that. I was using them as
    new water>wash>juice>wash>same juice>recycle
    or
    new water>wash>juice>recycle
    Depending on if I get them back from her right away or not. If it was overnight I'd recycle them. If I wash em but they dont seem clean enough I'd recycle them. Never used a bottle more than once or twice. There's no need as I'd go through the new ones just as quick if not quicker than her daily juice.
    whew. that's that problem solved! Now if only we can fix this comiccon ticket probelmmmmmmm
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    edited May 2015
    RKCNDY said:

ldent42 said:

Dicker? You mean haggle?

What about the water, or concessions in general at the movie theater. Crrrrrrr ipes! The small is around 5 dollars for like a gallon of soda or icee. The bottle of water is the same price. So the choice is $5 for water, sugar diabetes, or dry salty mouth from the overpriced popcorn. imageimageimage
    Post edited by oceaninmyeyes on
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    ldent42 said:

Textbooks. I once had a teacher put a book HE WROTE on the "required materials". That shit should be illegal.

Whoa whoa whoa. I think you're looking at this wrong. Don't you want the professor who is teaching the material to be the one who wrote the material? That is absolutely ideal! It means that your professor is the #1 expert on what he's teaching you. I can assure you that the textbook was peer reviewed and published by a publisher because of its academic merit, and the university/academic department approved whatever texts are used in their courses. It's not like the prof self-publishes his textbooks and sells them out of the trunk of his car or on Amazon. And FYI, I am the operations manager at a university press, so I can tell you with 100% certainty that the professor is not making very much money at all on that. We publish several textbooks that are written by the professors of the courses the texts are used in, and they never make more than 8% of the book sales in royalties. That's nothing. I think for our biggest selling textbook last year, with the professor getting 8% of the sales revenue, he ended up with less than $800 for the whole year. The biggest annual royalties cheque I have ever cut for a professor who was teaching his own book was around $2500.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

Textbooks. I once had a teacher put a book HE WROTE on the "required materials". That shit should be illegal.

Whoa whoa whoa. I think you're looking at this wrong. Don't you want the professor who is teaching the material to be the one who wrote the material? That is absolutely ideal! It means that your professor is the #1 expert on what he's teaching you. I can assure you that the textbook was peer reviewed and published by a publisher because of its academic merit, and the university/academic department approved whatever texts are used in their courses. It's not like the prof self-publishes his textbooks and sells them out of the trunk of his car or on Amazon. And FYI, I am the operations manager at a university press, so I can tell you with 100% certainty that the professor is not making very much money at all on that. We publish several textbooks that are written by the professors of the courses the texts are used in, and they never make more than 8% of the book sales in royalties. That's nothing. I think for our biggest selling textbook last year, with the professor getting 8% of the sales revenue, he ended up with less than $800 for the whole year. The biggest annual royalties cheque I have ever cut for a professor who was teaching his own book was around $2500.
    Eh, I dunno. I had a professor that wrote a textbook. Luckily, I took the class with a different professor. The book was great! But when I had that prof for a couple different classes later on, he was terrible!!
  • Air for tires.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited May 2015

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

Eh, I dunno. I had a professor that wrote a textbook. Luckily, I took the class with a different professor. The book was great! But when I had that prof for a couple different classes later on, he was terrible!!
    Oh, sorry, to be clear, just because a professor wrote a great book it doesn't mean he's a great teacher. I should have said that a textbook written and taught by a good professor who can also teach is ideal (but if he isn't a good teacher, it's still best to have a good textbook, and if that prof with no teaching skills has written that text, there is no reason for him not to use it... imagine how bad he or she might be if they were trying to teach someone else's text!).
    But my main point is that looking at a text written by the prof as some kind of shady financial deal set up by the prof is just mistaken thinking. That's not how it works.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata