Options

Record Store Day Mystery Vinyl

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,737
    rhianon.d said:

I really think that the 10 Club need to have a chat to Thirdman Records. Jack White is giving the punters what they want - a good product, at a semi-reasonable price with A LOT less issues than the 10 Club. My better half has been getting the Vault package for nearly 2 years now and has not had one issue - all the packages are priced pretty reasonably, packed fantastically, and postage isn't overly expensive and they are tracked. Thirdman also communicates with their customers as to what is happening with the products and gives the majority of the punters the chance to access material. What I don't understand is that there is a huge market for Pearl Jam merchandise - there is a market - and to me - I don't know - it seems that Pearl Jam/10 Club maybe don't want a part of it? Yes I completely understand that this was a limited release - but to have an item in your cart for nearly 45 minutes and enter credit card details and multiple white screens of death - there has to be a better way to do it. At least I wasn't charged for it nor is it in my order history - so I definitely know that I missed out - I really do feel sorry for those who have been charged, or gotten the "order cancelled" email.

The sooner Pearl Jam/Ten Club realise there is a market and we are willing to pay for it - the richer Pearl Jam/10 Club will be...

I keep seeing all these comments to tenclub should talk to TMR. What I wonder is why and how that corresponds to this sale ?

As I understand it TMR offer up vault packages quarterly on subscription - everyone has weeks to decide if they want in and if they don't .... TMR then press to demand. Very much like they do here with the vault vinyls ......

Now I could be wrong but other than having created insane demand for his products via quirky creations and very clever marketing and gimmicks I firstly don't see that Jack White has anything like the fanbase that pearl jam has. Yes he has a dedicated fanbase and is a very successful artist but then would he sell out the San Siro? Probably not.

More importantly ... However I'm not aware that TMR have ever done a mystery sale with a limited quantity of stock featuring hugely sought after records with very good odds of getting something worth a lot more than the base cost of entering. Again I could be wrong ... So I'm not sure what tenclub could learn from TMR for this sale ... Because I don't believe they happen. This was a very limited run that was very highly oversubscribed and I'm just not sure that TMR would have magic tricks available to make it run like a dream

I don't understand how tenclub need to realise this market you mention and that people are willing to pay for it? I think they have that worked out themselves - their sale sold out real easy and people paid. I understand your sentiment on a more normal level of putting things out in sufficient quantities as people will buy but that just doesn't apply here - this was a fun limited release ... Mystery style - with very few products available. I just don't get where your going with that

Yes TMR might package better and ship better but I don't think they were complaints that can truely be justified in this thread.

So what I'm asking is this ... What could tenc have learned from what TMR does that would have made this particular sale run smooth? Or was this a flippant remark to praise another fan club due to being disappointed here ?
  • Options
    rhianon.drhianon.d Posts: 17
    I will freely admit that I got the white screen of death and I am a tad disappointed.I had put my credit card details in, I had the item in my cart, I was being told that I had to sign in as I wasn't a member, I had to repeatedly put in my shipping address - aren't these all signs that you "have an item"? Yes I don't have one. It could of been better organised. I think I would be correct in saying you would also be disappointed if this had happened to you?

In no way is it a flippant remark. It's a comment in general - TMR seem organised. I don't think that they have done a mystery sale, I will admit that - maybe because they have happy fans that purchase "limited" products in advance and they know that they will receive it. When 10 Club seem to do things - there is nothing smooth about it. Yes there is more demand that supply - it doesn't take much to figure that out. 10 Club need to look at what they are doing and how they can make it better.

What I am saying is that TMR are making a product that the fans want - and people are buying it and the people are happy. The product/market being vinyl. Jack White was the top vinyl seller in 2014 and I see an artist who loves vinyl, is extremely interested in the product that comes out at the other end and is making a lot of money from it - good on him! I see Pearl Jam not being interested in this aspect - they have problems with their products and only make it "because there is a market for it". I see TMR being interested in their customers and making what the fans want and stepping up to that plate. I see 10 Club - and nothing has evolved, I see TMR and I see them progressing and looking at their fans and giving them what they want!

And as there being a market for it - would you pay $300+ for a copy of Avocado on vinyl? That's retarded! And also that there is a market in Pearl Jam vinyl knock offs? I do really think that Ten Club has the potential market for something similar to TMR and the way that they run things. I'm in Australia so the only reason I have joined the fan club is for vinyl - I'm not here for tickets, I will freely say that - they don't tour enough down here. I take my chances with ticketmaster and I am usually lucky.

Yes, the whole point of Record Store day is a limited release - I went to my local record store and bought a few records and yes, we also missed out on ones that we wanted, but when you are faced with a simple "Sorry, it's sold out" compared to the technical difficulties we had - 10 Club need to look at the process and make it fair with either a lottery or a pre-order.

Comparing TMR to 10 Club and how they run things at this point is like comparing apples and oranges and I just wish that 10 Club could see that... 10 Club could be awesome if they wanted to be...
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,707
    doctorvik said:

On a positive note I went and saw the avett brothers tonight and they were fucking amazing

I went to see Disney on Ice yesterday. It was magical, so the title says
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,060
    I'm one of those guys who got thru, got no order #, got no email confirmation, got nothing in my order history but my credit card has a pending charge and spent almost an hour in front of my computer dealing with the frustrations of yesterday when I had a million other things to be doing. However, after all that is said and done, I remember- I'm still alive. How's that? This too shall pass
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,488
    I didn't read the thread, but I'm going to assume everything went smooth and people got everything they wanted, right?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    on2legs said:

I didn't read the thread, but I'm going to assume everything went smooth and people got everything they wanted, right?

awesome
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    Polyvinyl chloride, more correctly but unusually poly(vinyl chloride), commonly abbreviated PVC, is the third-most widely produced synthetic plastic polymer, after polyethylene and polypropylene.

PVC comes in two basic forms: rigid (sometimes abbreviated as RPVC) and flexible. The rigid form of PVC is used in construction for pipe and in profile applications such as doors and windows. It is also used for bottles, other non-food packaging, and cards (such as bank or membership cards) and Pearl Jam albums that people go mental over. It can be made softer and more flexible by the addition of plasticizers, the most widely used being phthalates. In this form, it is also used in plumbing, electrical cable insulation, imitation leather, signage, inflatable products, and many applications where it replaces rubber.[5]
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    I don't think Third Man would ever do an online mystery vinyl sale @ a scheduled time. They have always been about random drops.

If they have something very limited to sell (which is often) it always has to be an in store purchase where people camp out to get stuff. Most of these items are never available online
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    mfc2006 said:

Really disappointed with how this went down. I'm not one to complain usually, but this was horrible.

Had it in my cart only to have it sold out from under me. It's just bad business, in my opinion. Granted, it was a long shot to receive what I was looking for, but I didn't even get a chance. I'll be switching to digital from now on.

To those that got them to go through, sincere congratulations.

To the 10C...please address the order/ticket/server/etc issues once & for all.

Well said.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    realisthisrealisthis Posts: 136
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

We all had the same chance actually. Some of us got through to a complete order, and some didn't. Everyone had the chance to try.... locked out with the first attempt or second, not sure I see the difference. Who got the item was still still random.
    You are kidding right? I was on here at 10 exactly spent an hour of my day at this. My card has a pending charge but no order number, history, confirmation, etc.. Fine, so I log back in to try again and it says I basically I already purchased the item and can't do so again. Then, I see people on here an hour later logging in and getting a confirmation email 2 min. later saying their purchase went through when I don't have the ability. THERE IS something WRONG with that situation. You really can't deny that. Most people in are fan clubs to have unique opportunities to get cool unique stuff. We don't pay money to get ten club stickers and screwed out of the cool things most of the time. I know they have their policies and they really don't care sometimes.
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179

I'm one of those guys who got thru, got no order #, got no email confirmation, got nothing in my order history but my credit card has a pending charge and spent almost an hour in front of my computer dealing with the frustrations of yesterday when I had a million other things to be doing. However, after all that is said and done, I remember- I'm still alive. How's that? This too shall pass

I'm in this boat also. It shall pass, but if I'm not getting my money back quickly it's going to sting a little longer.

This shall pass as an eye opener too many.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

We all had the same chance actually. Some of us got through to a complete order, and some didn't. Everyone had the chance to try.... locked out with the first attempt or second, not sure I see the difference. Who got the item was still still random.
    You are kidding right? I was on here at 10 exactly spent an hour of my day at this. My card has a pending charge but no order number, history, confirmation, etc.. Fine, so I log back in to try again and it says I basically I already purchased the item and can't do so again. Then, I see people on here an hour later logging in and getting a confirmation email 2 min. later saying their purchase went through when I don't have the ability. THERE IS something WRONG with that situation. You really can't deny that. Most people in are fan clubs to have unique opportunities to get cool unique stuff. We don't pay money to get ten club stickers and screwed out of the cool things most of the time. I know they have their policies and they really don't care sometimes.

• Options
    Sorry duplicate post by accident.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,354

Sorry duplicate post by accident.

oh damn..they will cancel your order now!!! :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    eddiec said:

Polyvinyl chloride, more correctly but unusually poly(vinyl chloride), commonly abbreviated PVC, is the third-most widely produced synthetic plastic polymer, after polyethylene and polypropylene.

PVC comes in two basic forms: rigid (sometimes abbreviated as RPVC) and flexible. The rigid form of PVC is used in construction for pipe and in profile applications such as doors and windows. It is also used for bottles, other non-food packaging, and cards (such as bank or membership cards) and Pearl Jam albums that people go mental over. It can be made softer and more flexible by the addition of plasticizers, the most widely used being phthalates. In this form, it is also used in plumbing, electrical cable insulation, imitation leather, signage, inflatable products, and many applications where it replaces rubber.[5]

very informative post
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,920
    I love reading these threads after an "event". They never disappoint.
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | 2024-05-16 Las Vegas | 2024-05-18 Las Vegas |
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,735

And I thought I was having problems because I'm at the airport in Punta Cana using some flaky network!!
    Got all the way to waiting for the final order confirmation to get processed and I got kicked out.

Dominican Republic??vacations?? must be beautiful there
    Beautiful is an understatement...the beach, the ocean, the people there...best vacation ever.

The only thing I'm pissed about is that I racked up a big international data charge trying to get this while waiting in line at the airport. Dammit 10C I want my cell phone bill reimbursed!!! :)

I missed Record Store Day, and I missed the Mystery Vinyl sale. And I realized after I got home that I don't give a fuck.

I'm glad I'm starting to finally see that the "stuff" can come and go, but memories and experiences will stay with you forever.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    smarchee said:

eddiec said:

very informative post
    I figured people should at least know what mystery vinyl is.

• Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,661
    edited April 2015
    I think one of the major problems with the server not being able to handle the demand of any of these popular sales...tickets/merch etc., and what factors into all the quirky checkout errors is that the website allows multiple sign ins under the same username.
    Its no secret that one of the strategies to being successful in these type of sales is to have multiple tabs, in multiple browsers on multiple devices open at the same time under the same username. If the website was set up to allow you to sign in only once with your username that would eliminate duplicate accounts and cut traffic (and bullshit) down significantly.
    Post edited by URthekey on
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,152
    Where's the fans that are happy they even sold their vinyl stash? I'm one.

They had a warehouse full of shit that's worth a lot of $$, and instead of auctioning it on ebay for charity (which is a fantastic thing in its own right) they offered it to their grumpy, entitled fans. That's badass! Chill out if you didn't get one, just be thankful to 10c for selling them and not hoarding them!

I'm guessing they won't be doing this again for a long time though after everyone cried and whined. No more vinyl for a long long time. Good job entitled children.

They WILL, I'm guessing, be selling No Code/yield reissues this year though.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    IBTL

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    I've heard others in this same situation; does anyone know what to expect?

I got through the order screen, entered CC info, and hit confirm purchase, and then the white screen. No email confirmation, nothing in order history, but I do have a pending PJ charge on my CC.

I'm guessing that it will be cancelled. Is everyone else in this boat assuming the same, or is there some hope here?
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    AMENt_TO_THATAMENt_TO_THAT Norwegia Posts: 395
    jonsey30 said:

I've heard others in this same situation; does anyone know what to expect?

I got through the order screen, entered CC info, and hit confirm purchase, and then the white screen. No email confirmation, nothing in order history, but I do have a pending PJ charge on my CC.

I'm guessing that it will be cancelled. Is everyone else in this boat assuming the same, or is there some hope here?

Same here. Don't have a clue what to expect. It would be awesome if we got it, but an answer as to wether or not we will, will do just fine.
  • Options
    jweyersjweyers Lincoln,NE Posts: 364
    Why do I think Santos is packaging 500 black backspacer Lps with 500 MLB singles right now....
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,152
    jweyers said:

Why do I think Santos is packaging 500 black backspacer Lps with 500 MLB singles right now....

Correct.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788

Same exact scenario here.

Sorry I can't read this entire thread but I'm wondering if anyone thinks they might do a second wave sale of these? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but didn't they do 2 sales for pj mystery boxes? If you purchased in the first round you weren't eligible for the second? Maybe that's something my brain made up or maybe just wishful thinking. Anybody else remember?
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    When you guys say "no order number", did you see a number when you completed the transaction? I did not make a screenshot of mine, but I remember there was a confirmation number or something. So what happens if you saw that number, but still got nothing but a pending charge?
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 382

Same exact scenario here.

Sorry I can't read this entire thread but I'm wondering if anyone thinks they might do a second wave sale of these? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but didn't they do 2 sales for pj mystery boxes? If you purchased in the first round you weren't eligible for the second? Maybe that's something my brain made up or maybe just wishful thinking. Anybody else remember?
    That happened with the mystery boxes, yes. It still does nothing for those of us who "got through", got charged, got no order number or e-mail and weren't allowed to buy when they went back up.

Since we apparently don't deserve an answer on anything else, can they at least tell us when we'll get our money back?

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684

When you guys say "no order number", did you see a number when you completed the transaction? I did not make a screenshot of mine, but I remember there was a confirmation number or something. So what happens if you saw that number, but still got nothing but a pending charge?

Not sure. I finally got through, placed the order and got a confirmation screen.
    No confirmation email.
    When I check Order History it is not there.
    My bank shows the $60.99 as 'processing' which is normal for a weekend charge. Will need to see what happens from here. I think I have one, since I got the order # and I printed that page, so I have it to reference. Figure I will wait to see what happens with the charge -- if it goes through I think I will get product, if it doesn't I figure I will not.

Either way I am OK. As others have shared I spent much more time at my laptop on a Saturday AM when my family was elsewhere waiting for me to join them and I was happy to share that I was successful when I was able to join them. If it turns out I am not I will be fine. It is kinda sad that something like this happens with some frequency, but I still love the band, the great things that comes from them in addition to music, and this community. If I dont have some relatively meaningless merch that I would have liked to have, I will live.

In explaining the scenario yesterday AM to my family I told them of the long odds to get a Benny and that if I was one of the lucky ones I would most likely donate it to one of the worthy raffle causes here anyway. It was more about the fun of ordering, anticipation, etc....and that was squeezed by the technology failure evidenced through the process and by reading this thread.

I have enough stuff that I collect....the time I cannot get back.

Good luck to everyone who is still in limbo.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,684
    Also, I am still having login issues on my phone, seems whatever 'broke' yesterday is still impacting the site in some way.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved