Record Store Day Mystery Vinyl

Comments

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited April 2015
    Prior quote

Fair enough then we'll have to disagree. I bet if you waited for 5 hours at your store you'd have gotten almost everything that you wanted, and also all week long people posted about how not to get your hopes up for the 10c sale. Everyone had 8 days to decide what to do, and most people realized that they could do this online while at rsd and that it was going to be a shit show no matter what. I must have read 200 posts mentioning how it was going to be a big mess. Anyhow, I'm sorry you didn't get the mystery vinyl- I promise that if I get a duplicate of something I already have, I'll pm ya to see if you need it.

I appreciate the offer, but not necessary. I knew the risk, and I paid the price for taking that risk. I still have not gotten a yes or no, so this is still a little bit of hope. I like the fact we can agree to disagree without calling each other names and demeaning one another. peace out my fellow TC member. Spread the wealth to someone else!
  • rhianon.d said:

My ten cents - this is the first year I've joined the 10 club being a fan for too long now. For the money and the privilege - my one year will be enough after this debacle. Being in Australia - the price to join the club and getting a sticker pack and a single for US $50, the chance to buy a vault package that was delayed by a big period of time, arriving damaged, huge postage costs and then to be putting in your credit card details and then blank screen - this will be my first and last year in the 10 club. I think it's time to be just a fan of the music...

There's some years where you get nothing at all man. I haven't gotten a single or downloaded any of that junk in ages. It's all about getting tickets in my mind. If you don't have to do a ticketmaster scramble life is better. And that's worth $20 a year to me.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

What did you have in mind? What could PJ do for you? Do you mean you think they should come up with more merch so they can send you something random for this sale, or are you thinking something else?

It's not that hard. Simple rule in retail is that if a customer's order is not fulfilled due to something that is not his/her fault, you acknowledge the error and try to retain the customer by offering a token of forgiveness such as a discount toward a future purchase. No, I don't expect them to fulfill this order with other merch, but a simple $x off coupon for a future purchase or a free digital boot or SOMETHING would go a long way to easing people's anger. I guarantee you if they were actually worried about losing business over this, they would be scrambling to come up with a means to make up for the error.
    So they should give a bunch of stuff away for free?
    They were careful to have a disclaimer. Everyone read it. They are under no obligation IMO. There was even a discussion a couple days ago where some were saying they HOPED that 10C would be letting a ton of people complete their order and then just randomly cancel abandoned bunch, because that would be equivalent to a lottery. The disclaimer about cancellations got people thinking about that.
    A discount coupon isn't giving away anything for free. It's encouraging a shopper to return to your place of business by offering a discount on a future purchase. It's what retailers do when they do something unfair or erroneous in order to show the customer that they care about his/her business. Like I said, if the 10C was worried about losing business over this, they wouldn't be sitting on their hands doing nothing.

As for your lottery analogy, it completely ignores the central focus of my complaint: the fact that certain people were denied the chance to enter the "lottery" at all. It would be one thing to say everyone can order and then randomly select some orders to be cancelled. It's another, much worse thing to allow everyone a chance to get something EXCEPT for a select few who are denied access to even participate. Everyone has a chance = fair. Everyone has a chance except for a select few who will be denied access to even trying = unfair.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    You see once you all realize that it's time to stop buying stuff you don't need you will be better in your own lives. Stop letting the club dictate your Saturday afternoon, take the power back and stop letting them dictate demand. Once they stop controlling the market they will produce to mAtch demand.

Even though this sale was straight up front with the intentions it did cause a frenzie.

Life is to short people, as Hughfreakingdillon said this music is on cd.

As I say this, soon you will see no code/yield on sale....watch. This was just a marketing ploy to strengthen website visits.
    I am drunk but see it through blurred glasses...... Skeptical newf!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • I think it's time for me to knock a few back too....thanks for reminding me! :)
    Reading this tread makes me upset.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,883
    edited April 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

What did you have in mind? What could PJ do for you? Do you mean you think they should come up with more merch so they can send you something random for this sale, or are you thinking something else?

It's not that hard. Simple rule in retail is that if a customer's order is not fulfilled due to something that is not his/her fault, you acknowledge the error and try to retain the customer by offering a token of forgiveness such as a discount toward a future purchase. No, I don't expect them to fulfill this order with other merch, but a simple $x off coupon for a future purchase or a free digital boot or SOMETHING would go a long way to easing people's anger. I guarantee you if they were actually worried about losing business over this, they would be scrambling to come up with a means to make up for the error.
    They were careful to have a disclaimer. Everyone read it. They are under no obligation IMO. There was even a discussion a couple days ago where some were saying they HOPED that 10C would be letting a ton of people complete their order and then just randomly cancel abandoned bunch, because that would be equivalent to a lottery. The disclaimer about cancellations got people thinking about that.
    A discount coupon isn't giving away anything for free. It's encouraging a shopper to return to your place of business by offering a discount on a future purchase. It's what retailers do when they do something unfair or erroneous in order to show the customer that they care about his/her business. Like I said, if the 10C was worried about losing business over this, they wouldn't be sitting on their hands doing nothing.

As for your lottery analogy, it completely ignores the central focus of my complaint: the fact that certain people were denied the chance to enter the "lottery" at all. It would be one thing to say everyone can order and then randomly select some orders to be cancelled. It's another, much worse thing to allow everyone a chance to get something EXCEPT for a select few who are denied access to even participate. Everyone has a chance = fair. Everyone has a chance except for a select few who will be denied access to even trying = unfair.
    A discount coupon is exactly the same as giving stuff (or a part of stuff) away for free.

10C isn't full of idiots. They know they have a rapt audience that is bananas for merch, and that they and don't need to lure them or bribe them with discounts in order to keep their customers. No business does stuff like that when it isn't necessary to making more money in the long run. Businesses don't just do that stuff to be nice, no matter how they sell it. 10C really doesn't have to work to maintain a loyal fan base thst spends money.

That said, 10C is actually nicer than most businesses. They might offer a free download or something even though there is no business reason to. They have done something like that before (can't remember what it was for now though).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited April 2015
    I get the disappointment some feel- it speaks to the passion for the band. But people seriously need to chill out.

If you came into this gig with any other expectations... you were foolish.

Regardless of how things played out, the same number of fans would be disappointed. The disappointed ones will always find something to complain about.

So, 10C was damned from the outset.

Pulling up your tent and calling it quits because you never got a $100 Backspacer seems a little petty.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

A discount coupon is exactly the same as giving stuff (or a part of stuff) away for free.
    No, it's not. A discount coupon reduces the price of something, generally to a point in which the sale is still profitable for the retailer but the customer also benefits by not paying full price. Do you not understand the meaning of the word "free"? Free = the customer pays nothing. Discount = the customer pays for an item at a lessened cost. If somebody pays something for an item, that item is NOT free.

By your rationale every time a store offers a sale on an item they are giving away the item for free.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    edited April 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

We all had the same chance actually. Some of us got through to a complete order, and some didn't. Everyone had the chance to try.... locked out with the first attempt or second, not sure I see the difference. Who got the item was still still random.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

We all had the same chance actually. Some of us got through to a complete order, and some didn't. Everyone had the chance to try.... locked out with the first attempt or second, not sure I see the difference. Who got the item was still still random.
    What's up with you calling things other than what they are? Equal means same. Same means everyone gets the same opportunity for the same amount of time. When some people can be on the page at 10:40 with the ability to order the package it they wish and are able to get through and other people are told that they are not allowed to do so, that's not equal.

edited April 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

What's up with you calling things other than what they are? Equal means same. Same means everyone gets the same opportunity for the same amount of time. When some people can be on the page at 10:40 with the ability to order the package it they wish and are able to get through and other people are told that they are not allowed to do so, that's not equal.
    Do I have a long history of calling things other than what they are? I wasn't aware of this.
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

But everybody was in the same boat with regards to how this might play out for them.

It was equal from the outset.
  • camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    i like sound...
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Do I have a long history of calling things other than what they are? I wasn't aware of this.
    I don't know you, nor have I ever interacted with you. In the short history of time in which we have interacted, yes you do have a history of doing so.

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

But everybody was in the same boat with regards to how this might play out for them.

So if one group of people is given multiple chances to purchase something for, say, 45 minutes, and another group is given 30 minutes before being cut off, you would call that equal?

Man, I feel like I need to attach a glossary of definitions to my posts or something.

• rhianon.drhianon.d Posts: 17
    I really think that the 10 Club need to have a chat to Thirdman Records. Jack White is giving the punters what they want - a good product, at a semi-reasonable price with A LOT less issues than the 10 Club. My better half has been getting the Vault package for nearly 2 years now and has not had one issue - all the packages are priced pretty reasonably, packed fantastically, and postage isn't overly expensive and they are tracked. Thirdman also communicates with their customers as to what is happening with the products and gives the majority of the punters the chance to access material. What I don't understand is that there is a huge market for Pearl Jam merchandise - there is a market - and to me - I don't know - it seems that Pearl Jam/10 Club maybe don't want a part of it? Yes I completely understand that this was a limited release - but to have an item in your cart for nearly 45 minutes and enter credit card details and multiple white screens of death - there has to be a better way to do it. At least I wasn't charged for it nor is it in my order history - so I definitely know that I missed out - I really do feel sorry for those who have been charged, or gotten the "order cancelled" email.

The sooner Pearl Jam/Ten Club realise there is a market and we are willing to pay for it - the richer Pearl Jam/10 Club will be...
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

So if one group of people is given multiple chances to purchase something for, say, 45 minutes, and another group is given 30 minutes before being cut off, you would call that equal?

Man, I feel like I need to attach a glossary of definitions to my posts or something.
    No. Just listen a little more than you talk.

Equal from the outset is what I said. This cannot be debated.
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,460
    Too bad something as awesome as a mystery vinyl sale has degenerated into this.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,460
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • scurtis said:

Yup. The shits for sure.
  • evdjj3jevdjj3j Posts: 114
    I wouldn't be upset at all over this if for the first 15 minutes the site wouldn't have told me I wasn't a fan club member with a convenient link to join. That's really what has me so upset. I paid the $40 to join the fan club to have access to shit like this and when I go and try to take advantage of my membership I'm told I'm not a member. I do believe that anyone who got the same message I received should be compensated with more than some free download. I did my part and payed the $40 fan club fee now do your part and give me access to what the fan club is supposed to provide.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,807
    MedozK said:

pjradio said:

fuckit...I'm gonna go buy a totally non-official bootleg. & LIKE IT!!!!

:rofl:

It is kind of weird/odd/ironically funny how they did such a great job at beating the bootleggers at their own game with all the live shows...but for whatever reason, will not reissue the records. We're not even asking for fancy packaging...just the same or heck, even basic white sleeves with "PEARL JAM - NO CODE" or "Pearl Jam - Binaural" in typewriter font.

Something so that we won't have to pay $350 for a copy of Riot Act.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    edited April 2015

Just refreshed after a thousand times and got one, I think! Won't believe it until it gets here though.... ;)

Likewise. And this comes from someone who went 1/1 in the 10C postcard era (2003 tour), 1/1 in the F5 era (2010 tour) and so far, 1/1 in the lotto with GA pit tickets...plus I didn't do so bad in the mystery poster, PJ mystery box and EV mystery box sales.

Got the email about 22 minutes after on-sale time. And yes, I also had several "You need to log in" messages...went back to "featured items" and kept trying. (Maybe it helped that I had my CC number ready to paste off the clipboard and the expiration and CVC number committed to memory?)

In other words, apparently I have good karma. Still, I won't believe it until I see the box inside my house.

And hey? Two black Backspacers? I already have two black Lightning Bolts. I guess I wouldn't have to turn the record over. :D

I got the "you cannot buy...associated item" message. I got the email and then I verified via order history.

But yes...this is EXACTLY why the lotto system seems to be preferred. In this case, 24 hours to buy a chance would have been great. But...I can totally see why this system also works...persistence pays off.

With that said, I totally feel for those who had it in their carts, only to have it dumped out. THAT...needs to be fixed..and maybe the lotto is the only way?
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    Zod said:

I know the band sometimes randomly puts stuff on sale. I'm wondering how I feel about it not going on sale as soon as the newsletter when out. With everyone getting almost a two weeks heads up it's going to be a shitshow on here at 7am PST.... lol. Website is going to crash, people are going to lose their cart item during the checkout process etc.. Giving two weeks to us ravenous collecting PJ fans is going to be messy :)

You were right Zod. You were right :)

Why was everyone so shocked? :)
    Zod said:

Zod said:

I know the band sometimes randomly puts stuff on sale. I'm wondering how I feel about it not going on sale as soon as the newsletter when out. With everyone getting almost a two weeks heads up it's going to be a shitshow on here at 7am PST.... lol. Website is going to crash, people are going to lose their cart item during the checkout process etc.. Giving two weeks to us ravenous collecting PJ fans is going to be messy :)

You were right Zod. You were right :)

Why was everyone so shocked? :)

Got any Powerball numbers?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    I sarcastically mentioned getting free membership earlier over this. I don't think we deserve anything for free. I am not that disappointed that I didn't get to purchase the mystery vinyl, as I knew it would be popular and sell out fast. But I don't agree with the statements that we all read the disclaimer and all had equal chances. I am way more pissed that I did spend an hour attempting complete the order while it was in my cart, and it took a hour for it to be listed as sold out. So I took a break to eat breakfast, only to return 20 minutes later and find out there was a round 2, that is sold out again. All it would have taken was after the first 10 minutes to release a short statement that read "We have experienced high volumes, We will process current orders and relist the item at 10 EDT when we determine how many items are still available." How hard is that?

I knew it was likely to sell out. But to be completely unprepared for high traffic (again), empty my cart, tell me it is sold out and unavailable, then relist it 30 minutes later without any communication is what is frustrating to me. it's about the unnecessary waste of time and zero communication.
  • evdjj3j said:

I wouldn't be upset at all over this if for the first 15 minutes the site wouldn't have told me I wasn't a fan club member with a convenient link to join. That's really what has me so upset.

That's what I had a problem with the most. I can't complain too much because I ended up getting one around 9:20 thanks to the people in this thread who said it was back in stock and I still had one in my cart from before... BUT I've been on here trying to buy limited stuff before, take the example of McCready's Music For Film a few months ago, I had one in the cart, but before I could complete it it was sold out. Took 5 minutes of my time, fine. Kind of expected it. Today the first 15 minutes, of waking up on a Saturday morning like everyone else for basically a $50 raffle ticket at a Benny, Avocado, Lost Dogs, etc, and getting that "unable to purchase because you are not a member" automatic-log-out thing, THAT is what was fucked up. After that whole issue got fixed, I had one in my cart for the longest time and could not even get to the credit card screen, would just go to the white screen and that was it. Can't tell you how many times that happened and then it was sold out. Knowing this was a huge demand for basically 1,000 possible sales, could have easily been a lottery thing. Getting logged out and told I'm not a member for 15 minutes, that's what pissed me off, and I'm sure everyone else too. If it had just sold out smoothly in 5 minutes, I wouldn't have even cared. Like everyone else says I'll probably end up with another Target send-back of Backspacer and the single with Shattered (kidding, is Shattered even included in this sale? hope not). Anyway I can't wait to see what everyone gets lol.

ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't know you, nor have I ever interacted with you. In the short history of time in which we have interacted, yes you do have a history of doing so.
    She's actually the best, most honest and fair person on these boards.
  • doctorvikdoctorvik Posts: 123
    On a positive note I went and saw the avett brothers tonight and they were fucking amazing
  • SD186683SD186683 Posts: 6
    Mercury said:

I got an order confirmation screen with no order number, I've received no e-mail, it's not in my order history, but my card has a charge on it. WTF. It seems I'm not alone. Did we or didn't we?

Same deal here. CC charged but no order history and no email. Had a purchase confirmation screen and and tried to rebuy to make certain and got the "THIS PRODUCT CANNOT BE PURCHASED BECAUSE YOU HAVE PURCHASED AN ASSOCIATED PRODUCT IN THE PAST" message. Think I got one??? I don't........ :-(