Options

Beheaded by ISIS

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    badbrains said:

Found this clip of Dignin and Drowned Out discussing Canada to international 10 Clubbers at the 2005 Moose Jaw pre-party:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJE3EgTGg9k

Wtf, I never got an email from the 10C for this event. What kind of bullshit is that? Where do I send an email? Was there a fucken list for this event too that nobody told me about? Now I'm really getting pissed! B-)
    I will personally make sure you get an invite to the next event Bad Brains. But it's on you to get across the border ;)
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    dignin said:

badbrains said:

Found this clip of Dignin and Drowned Out discussing Canada to international 10 Clubbers at the 2005 Moose Jaw pre-party:

Wtf, I never got an email from the 10C for this event. What kind of bullshit is that? Where do I send an email? Was there a fucken list for this event too that nobody told me about? Now I'm really getting pissed! B-)
    I will personally make sure you get an invite to the next event Bad Brains. But it's on you to get across the border ;)
    Shit, getting across mite be the problem! Hahaha =))
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

But your 'detailed mental notes' regarding the apprehension of a suspect ('if it was the guy'), and abusing him while doing so, then calling it justice, is enough to make me comment. Yes, my opinion is that to wish harm on someone is unhealthy, period. Even if you're a family member of the victim. To fantasize about it when the victim is a complete stranger, and the suspect is untried – taking joy in his cries, to be blunt, is borderline sadist. False bravado and crocodile tears in support of your position. Offended? I find your position offensive. You can take from this what you like, or come back at me for it, make whatever judgements you’d like…I don’t mind.

Being offended seems to be mandatory around these parts lately.

• Options
    badbrains said:

PJSoul said she e-mailed everyone. :))
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

badbrains said:

No wonder! I knew she hates Muslims!!! =))
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

No wonder! I knew she hates Muslims!!! =))
    Must have gotten lost in the mail. ;)) :))
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Byrnzie said:

But your 'detailed mental notes' regarding the apprehension of a suspect ('if it was the guy'), and abusing him while doing so, then calling it justice, is enough to make me comment. Yes, my opinion is that to wish harm on someone is unhealthy, period. Even if you're a family member of the victim. To fantasize about it when the victim is a complete stranger, and the suspect is untried – taking joy in his cries, to be blunt, is borderline sadist. False bravado and crocodile tears in support of your position. Offended? I find your position offensive. You can take from this what you like, or come back at me for it, make whatever judgements you’d like…I don’t mind.

Well, I never....! ;).

I'm obviously as guilty as anyone of feigning offence (it's in quotes above)...and as I explained to thirty in a pm, I was also being a bit of a hypocrite...which is pretty much the norm for people who get on a high horse like I did. Taking offense to little things is just the boost needed to get on that horse. Lesson learned. Until the next time, anyway.

Thirty - Thanks for getting Geddy Lee shrieking "Take off!..." Stuck in my head all night.
    Draw straws to see who gets to smuggle our friend across the border for the Moose Jaw meet up?...an Underground Railroad for a moving train? ;)
  • Options

Byrnzie said:

Well, I never....! ;).

I'm obviously as guilty as anyone of feigning offence (it's in quotes above)...and as I explained to thirty in a pm, I was also being a bit of a hypocrite...which is pretty much the norm for people who get on a high horse like I did. Taking offense to little things is just the boost needed to get on that horse. Lesson learned. Until the next time, anyway.
    Ah, I wasn't thinking of you when I said that.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941

Byrnzie said:

Well, I never....! ;).

Thirty - Thanks for getting Geddy Lee shrieking "Take off!..." Stuck in my head all night.
    Draw straws to see who gets to smuggle our friend across the border for the Moose Jaw meet up?...an Underground Railroad for a moving train? ;)
    I've got to admit - even as a Canadian, most of my nightmares involve Geddy Lee shrieking anything. Good god do I ever hate Rush!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

Byrnzie said:

Well, I never....! ;).

I've got to admit - even as a Canadian, most of my nightmares involve Geddy Lee shrieking anything. Good god do I ever hate Rush!
    Ben, see I keep telling people how wise you are my friend. Fuck Rush!
  • Options

Byrnzie said:

Well, I never....! ;).

It's a beauty way to go.
  • Options
    Byrnzie said:

Byrnzie said:

Well, I never....! ;).

Byrzine making progress.

While definitely a touch antagonistic... the last two posts in this thread were written without fangs bared or claws fully extended.
  • Options
    Byrnzie said:

Byrnzie said:

Well, I never....! ;).

I know what you're getting at and i agree....just had to be a little diplomatic and own my part in it since I said I was offended in the same conversation!
  • Options
    So much for those evil Iranians ey? Kurds say Iran first country to help them with Isis prob.

https://news.vice.com/article/iran-was-first-to-supply-iraqs-kurds-with-weapons-to-battle-the-islamic-state?utm_source=vicenewstwitter
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Byrzine making progress.

While definitely a touch antagonistic... the last two posts in this thread were written without fangs bared or claws fully extended.

And the bullshit continues.

Hey moderators!! You have anything to say about this crap? No? And people accuse me of making 'belittling' comments? Seriously, what a joke.

30 sagging Ball sacks, my name's not Byrzine. Secondly, how about you keep your pathetic, patronizing little character analyses to yourself?

Thanks.

Now go crying to the moderators that you feel offended and belittled.

Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    Byrnzie said:

Byrzine making progress.

Hey moderators!! You have anything to say about this crap? No? And people accuse me of making 'belittling' comments? Seriously, what a joke.

30 sagging Ball sacks, my name's not Byrzine. Secondly, how about you keep your pathetic, patronizing little character analyses to yourself?

Thanks.

You have problems, man. Seriously.

We laughed about 'Byrzine' earlier if I recall correctly. I explained Byrzine to benjs in another post- detailing it was a joke based on a previous spat of yours. You've had so many though I'm not surprised you would have forgotten.

I guess I'm sorry, but I have to wonder how you make comments mocking people getting offended too easily and someone makes an obvious off-hand, and light-hearted post... and you essentially cry (demanding moderator intervention at that).

I'll stop there.
  • Options

We laughed about 'Byrzine' earlier if I recall correctly. I explained Byrzine to benjs in another post- detailing it was a joke based on a previous spat of yours. You've had so many though I'm not surprised you would have forgotten.

I guess I'm sorry, but I have to wonder how you make comments mocking people getting offended too easily and someone makes an obvious off-hand, and light-hearted post... and you essentially cry (demanding moderator intervention at that).

I'll stop there.

And on and on it goes...

• Options
    Byrnzie said:

I'll stop there.

And on and on it goes...

I'm not too sure what to say, man.

If this is about me calling you out on the 'lol' comment you made... then I sincerely apologize. I should have done so in a private email. I stand by my criticism though.

If this is about the original comment you expressed you were hurt over... come on man. We've exchanged plenty of private and public dialogue that should have you pretty confident I have plenty of respect for you even though we have gone at each other's throats in the DP thread.

As well, things have been really testy on here lately. You have been front and center in many heated discussions. As of late, there's been a fair bit of light-hearted humour in various threads and honestly... I tried to bring you into the fold. I'm sorry you took this the wrong way.

You did have the option of 'going with it' though. The fact that you didn't really has me scratching my head.

30 sagging balls.
  • Options
    Can this messageboard be seen as a microcosm of the U.S? Many books have been written on the dumbing down of Americans and their preference for opinions and fantasies over facts:

Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle Paperback – October 5, 2010
    by Chris Hedges:
    http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Illusion-Literacy-Triumph-Spectacle/dp/1568586132/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409202733&sr=1-4&keywords=chris+hedges

Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free Paperback – May 4, 2010
    by Charles P. Pierce:
    http://www.amazon.com/Idiot-America-Stupidity-Became-Virtue/dp/0767926153/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409205236&sr=1-1&keywords=idiot+america+how+stupidity+became+a+virtue+in+the+land+of+the+free

The Age of American Unreason Hardcover – February 12, 2008
    by Susan Jacoby:
    http://www.amazon.com/Age-American-Unreason-Susan-Jacoby/dp/0375423745

Is this why I shouldn't be surprised when people post gibberish that has no relation to reality, and then act offended and 'belittled' when called out on it? Is this why certain people seem to have a strange need to focus on the person commenting rather than on the content of the comments themselves? I realize that this is a rock bands message board, but this particular section is devoted to 'serious' discussions - 'Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion - we can all learn something new.'

Reasoned debate? Why do so many people here have a problem with reasoned debate? Maybe those books I just listed provide the answer?

Focus on the person instead of what's being said. If you're unable to counter his arguments - often by dint of the fact that you don't know what you're talking about - then claim that there must be something wrong with the person, and indulge in personal attacks. And if someone contradicts your fantasies and opinions with facts, then act offended and 'belittled', and accuse the person of being 'hostile', 'antagonistic', and 'angry'.

• Options
    Byrnzie,

The last post of yours might allude to you possibly being accused of some of the descriptors you mentioned, but most recognize you as passionate for the causes you believe in.

I don't think "We can all learn something new" necessarily means strictly content. I think it also means how to interact with each other in an appropriate manner.

Lastly, if this was intended for me in any way, message me if you care to do so and we can come to terms.
  • Options

hedonist said:

Oh. Well...yes :D

Thank you for clarifying.

And Drowned - well said, per usual (though I laughed at "even if you're out to lunch")

Why's that funny? Someone's gotta be wrong in every debate.....right? ;)

I don't know if this is a Canadian short, or if it was played in other countries...but this was drilled into my head during saturday morning cartoons as a kid, and I think of it often on AMT....(def don't always take the lesson from it tho)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYg7_yYuXPM
    (may have even posted it here before, I know i've wanted to)
    This is good too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Let's try a little harder let's be a little more diplomatic ;)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941
    “It’s the best play she has. And I would have done the same thing.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/plea-mother-steven-sotloff-was-brilliant-terror-experts-say-n190356

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    linking fox news articles isn't debate if you only link fox news articles or other sites that are in line with fox news.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    Jason P said:

linking fox news articles isn't debate if you only link fox news articles or other sites that are in line with fox news.

I don't think that's true - typically in a debate, one person isn't responsible for playing both sides - that's why there's more than one member in a debate. Or one schizophrenic perhaps. Did you mean Jimmy should be posting more viewpoints per post or overall? Either way, I see nothing wrong with what he did: someone else here will inevitably post contrarian viewpoints, which is good and fair.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Byrnzie said:

Byrzine making progress.

Thanks.

:)). Aaaahhhh...I love you man.
    I really never saw this coming after that post. But in retrospect, I can see why you'd be....offended.
    There's been a lot of posts on the train about other users lately, and the way we interact....which in itself is against the guidelines. You've become a target a couple times without even being a part of the conversation. I can see why you'd get tired of it.
    Byrnzie said:

hedonist said:

Oh. Well...yes :D

Thank you for clarifying.

And Drowned - well said, per usual (though I laughed at "even if you're out to lunch")

Why's that funny? Someone's gotta be wrong in every debate.....right? ;)

I don't know if this is a Canadian short, or if it was played in other countries...but this was drilled into my head during saturday morning cartoons as a kid, and I think of it often on AMT....(def don't always take the lesson from it tho)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYg7_yYuXPM
    (may have even posted it here before, I know i've wanted to)
    This is good too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI

holy shit....tried watching that 5 minutes after I opened my eyes but only had time to watch about half. Pretty heavy stuff....makes my children's fable look like a 'banal platitude' (as mr.David Foster Wallace would say) for sure....I'm going to have to try that again when I have more time and i'm a bit more clear headed.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,563
    Byrnzie said:

Can this messageboard be seen as a microcosm of the U.S? Many books have been written on the dumbing down of Americans and their preference for opinions and fantasies over facts:

Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle Paperback – October 5, 2010
    by Chris Hedges:
    http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Illusion-Literacy-Triumph-Spectacle/dp/1568586132/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409202733&sr=1-4&keywords=chris+hedges

Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free Paperback – May 4, 2010
    by Charles P. Pierce:
    http://www.amazon.com/Idiot-America-Stupidity-Became-Virtue/dp/0767926153/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409205236&sr=1-1&keywords=idiot+america+how+stupidity+became+a+virtue+in+the+land+of+the+free

The Age of American Unreason Hardcover – February 12, 2008
    by Susan Jacoby:
    http://www.amazon.com/Age-American-Unreason-Susan-Jacoby/dp/0375423745

Is this why I shouldn't be surprised when people post gibberish that has no relation to reality, and then act offended and 'belittled' when called out on it? Is this why certain people seem to have a strange need to focus on the person commenting rather than on the content of the comments themselves? I realize that this is a rock bands message board, but this particular section is devoted to 'serious' discussions - 'Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion - we can all learn something new.'

Reasoned debate? Why do so many people here have a problem with reasoned debate? Maybe those books I just listed provide the answer?

Focus on the person instead of what's being said. If you're unable to counter his arguments - often by dint of the fact that you don't know what you're talking about - then claim that there must be something wrong with the person, and indulge in personal attacks. And if someone contradicts your fantasies and opinions with facts, then act offended and 'belittled', and accuse the person of being 'hostile', 'antagonistic', and 'angry'.

Sure seems like a lot of opinions

Where are the links with facts to back up your opinion???
  • Options

Sure seems like a lot of opinions

Where are the links with facts to back up your opinion???

That's very clever. Well done!

=D>
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    First American to suicide blow himself up for jihad in Syria. Ahh, look, he has a kitty cat.

businessinsider.com/an-american-suicde-bomber-describes-his-journey-to-syria-2014-8v