Options

Beheaded by ISIS

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941
    And again...

http://www.boston.com/news/world/middle-east/2014/09/02/provides-aid-for-record-million-syria/pVXe2VBmTXPPoIozvpgSVK/story.html?p1=Topopage:Test_B:Main_headline

BEIRUT (AP) — Islamic State extremists released a video posted Tuesday showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant group continue, ‘‘our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people.’’

The footage — depicting what the U.S. called a sickening act of brutality — was posted two weeks after the release of video showing the killing of James Foley and days after Sotloff’s mother pleaded for his life.

Barak Barfi, a spokesman for the Sotloff family, confirmed the death.

‘‘The family knows of this horrific tragedy and is grieving privately. There will be no public comment from the family during this difficult time,’’ Barfi said.

Sotloff, 31, who freelanced for Time and Foreign Policy magazines, vanished in Syria in August 2013 and was not seen again until he appeared in a video released online last month that showed Foley’s beheading. Dressed in an orange jumpsuit against the backdrop of an arid Syrian landscape, Sotloff was threatened in that video with death unless the U.S. stopped airstrikes on the group in Iraq.

In the video distributed Tuesday and titled ‘‘A Second Message to America,’’ Sotloff appears in a similar jumpsuit before he is beheaded by a fighter with the Islamic State, the extremist group that has claimed wide swathes of territory across Syria and Iraq and declared itself a caliphate.

The organization threatened to kill another hostage, this one they identified as a British citizen.

The SITE Intelligence Group, a U.S. terrorism watchdog, first reported about the video’s existence. Unlike Foley’s beheading, which was widely shared on Twitter accounts affiliated with the Islamic State group, the video purporting to show Sotloff’s killing was not immediately posted online, though several jihadi websites told users to expect it Tuesday.

In Washington, State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said U.S. intelligence analysis will ‘‘work as quickly as possible’’ to determine if the video of the beheading is authentic.

‘‘If the video is genuine, we are sickened by this brutal act, taking the life of another innocent American citizen,’’ Psaki said. ‘‘Our hearts go out to the Sotloff family and we will provide more information as it becomes available.’’

Psaki said it’s believed that ‘‘a few’’ Americans are believed to still be held by the Islamic State but would not give any specifics.

The fighter who beheads Sotloff in the video called it retribution for Obama’s continued airstrikes against the group in Iraq.

‘‘I'm back, Obama, and I'm back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State ... despite our serious warnings,’’ the fighter said. ‘‘So just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people.’’

At the end of the video, he threatened to kill a third captive, a Briton, David Cawthorne Haines. It was not immediately clear who Haines was. Officials with the British Foreign Office declined to immediately comment.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    put them in a field and bomb the bastards
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    A second American has died fighting for ISIS. Before getting a job at ISIS, he cleaned planes and had security clearance at Minneapolis-St Paul International airport.

Abdirahmaan Muhumed left behind nine kids ...

businessinsider.com/american-who-fought-with-isis-worked-at-minneapolis-airport-2014-9
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jason P said:

A second American has died fighting for ISIS. Before getting a job at ISIS, he cleaned planes and had security clearance at Minneapolis-St Paul International airport.

businessinsider.com/american-who-fought-with-isis-worked-at-minneapolis-airport-2014-9

9 kids!!! When did he find time to be radicalized.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Looks like the other journalist Steve sotloff was a duel citizen of both the US and Israel:

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-reveals-steven-sotloff-israeli-citizen-111600274.html
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,913
    ^^^^ will be watching how this info is used by certain parties.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    mickeyrat said:

^^^^ will be watching how this info is used by certain parties.

Guess we were thinking the same thing... I'm wondering how long it takes for someone to scream 'anti-Semitism'.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    lukin2006 said:

Jason P said:

That was funny!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    lukin2006 said:

Jason P said:

Piece of shit got what he deserved.
    Sounds like Pres O is finally growing a pair and going to play some hard ball.This should be interesting.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Looks like the other journalist Steve sotloff was a duel citizen of both the US and Israel:

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-reveals-steven-sotloff-israeli-citizen-111600274.html

Israel needs to sit this one out.Better for all involved.imo
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    This is just sickening , the end of the world couldn't come any faster
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

This is just sickening , the end of the world couldn't come any faster

End of the world, nah, this is just hell on earth.........
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited September 2014
    Ah, 'the birth pangs of a new middle east'....condi rice may just get her Sunni crescent afterall.

In other news, a Russian journalist was killed by western-backed evil-doers in Ukraine. That makes four, plus an Italian. But fuck those pinkos, they ain't murican.
  • Options

Ah, 'the birth pangs of a new middle east'....condi rice may just get her Sunni crescent afterall.

In other news, a Russian journalist was killed by western-backed evil-doers in Ukraine. That makes four, plus an Italian. But fuck those pinkos, they ain't murican.

Who said anything like your last sentence? No one. By all means, start a thread about the brutality in Ukraine.

• Options
    Didn't post this earlier, still in my drafts, was planning to elaborate but now I'm waiting for takeout and saw your post jimmy....so I'll leave it at this for now:

Ah, that was a bit uncalled for. I get frustrated when I read comments from people supporting war without any geopolitical, nor historical pretext. The fear mongering is palpable, building support for a long-standing war agenda that puts us all in danger. We never learn.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    lukin2006 said:

Jason P said:

Hahaha thats funny and i know it want a real question but in all seriousness see the subjugation of women by religion thread for your answer!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Who said anything like your last sentence? No one. By all means, start a thread about the brutality in Ukraine.

You're right....I'm frustrated by the lack of attention Ukraine is getting. My Murican friends didn't deserve that comment.
  • Options

JimmyV said:

You're right....I'm frustrated by the lack of attention Ukraine is getting. My Murican friends didn't deserve that comment.
    Looking forward to seeing your thread about Ukraine - this forum is my primary (though not exclusive) source of news, and I always enjoy your astute analyses of global issues!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Enjoy that takeout. :-)

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    We all wonder how these monsters in ISIS are made. I watched this short documentary by VICE that gave me a little insight.

THE BATTLE FOR ALEPPO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg5UEz_Ao0g#t=610

What I see is horrifying.

I still don't understand how some young men from western countries go oversees to join these radical groups but I can understand why some of these young men, from Syria, can choose that path after being the victims of such violence.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

Didn't post this earlier, still in my drafts, was planning to elaborate but now I'm waiting for takeout and saw your post jimmy....so I'll leave it at this for now:

Ah, that was a bit uncalled for. I get frustrated when I read comments from people supporting war without any geopolitical, nor historical pretext. The fear mongering is palpable, building support for a long-standing war agenda that puts us all in danger. We never learn.

Exactly. Everybody's jumping up on their high-horse squawking about 'Hell on Earth', and 'monsters', etc, whilst conveniently forgetting that Western countries have been engaged in numerous genocides - North America, Australia, Africa, Latin America - and atrocities for hundreds of years.

Reality check: The U.S invaded Iraq on a pretext of lies, and murdered over a million people. The country was destroyed and fragmented into a series of sectarian clans - as predicted would happen before the invasion. And now we're acting surprised that some 'monsters' are 'taking over the World' and causing 'Hell on Earth'?

Okey dokey.

• Options

put them in a field and bomb the bastards

'Exterminate the brutes', right? Coincidentally, I'm reading a book right now by someone called Sven Lindqvist, called 'Terra Nullius' (No Ones land), about the arrogance, racism, and greed of Europeans who thought it their right as [allegedly] superior races to wipe the Australian Aboriginals off the face of the Earth. This same author also wrote a book called 'Exterminate All The Brutes', which details how genocide didn't begin with the Nazis, but has a much longer history. I may have to drop this one into my Amazon basket.

http://www.amazon.com/Exterminate-All-Brutes-Darkness-European/dp/1565843592/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409811059&sr=8-1&keywords=sven+lindqvist
    "Exterminate All the Brutes": One Man's Odyssey into the Heart of Darkness and the Origins of European Genocide

"Exterminate All the Brutes" is a searching examination of Europe’s dark history in Africa and the origins of genocide. Using Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness as his point of departure, Sven Lindqvist takes us on a haunting tour through the colonial past, interwoven with a modern-day travelogue. Retracing the steps of European explorers, missionaries, politicians, and historians in Africa from the late eighteenth century onward, the author exposes the roots of genocide in Africa via his own journey through the Saharan desert. As Lindqvist shows, fantasies not merely of white superiority but of actual extermination—"cleansing" the earth of the so-called lesser races—deeply informed European colonialism and racist ideology that ultimately culminated in Europe’s own Holocaust.

Chosen as one of the Best Books of 1998 by the New Internationalist, which called it "a beautifully written integration of criticism, cultural history, and travel writing, underpinned by a passion for social justice," "Exterminate All the Brutes" is a powerful reckoning with the past and an indispensable contribution to the literature of colonial Africa and European genocide.

• Options
    PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    I don't understand the purpose of such ridiculous statements. How exactly will we manoeuvre 50,000 people occupying an area the size of the UK into one field?

Totally pointless fantasist nonsense.
  • Options
    I got to find a way for my posts to be more clear. My "hell on earth" comment was me being a smart ass. Somehow it was taken the wrong way.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    badbrains said:

I got to find a way for my posts to be more clear. My "hell on earth" comment was me being a smart ass. Somehow it was taken the wrong way.

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Options
    badbrains said:

Something tells me that those suffering at the hands of ISIS/ISIL/IS would use the exact same terminology that you did there. I wouldn't worry, bud.

EV
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Unless time machines have recently been invented, why use past events to deflect from current day atrocities? It comes off as defending what ISIS is doing.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Unless time machines have recently been invented, why use past events to deflect from current day atrocities? It comes off as defending what ISIS is doing.

Yeah,I agree.No matter how we got here or what we as a country did to help instigate the enviorment that allowed or was a precurser to the formation of this group of scum bags,does not excuse the atrocities and mayhem these clowns are doing.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I don't think anyone's trying to defend what ISIS is doing: the question is, with a force like ISIS at large, the US is about to use this as a pretext to intervene and 'help'. Any discussion about past events here seem to be about whether this intervention should be welcomed or feared by those within the region, and whether it would bring positive or negative change.

EV
  • Options
    Jason P said:

It's not deflecting, it's called perspective. The Western powers have had their hands in the Middle East for decades, if not centuries. We've not stopped fucking with them for as long as I can remember.
    And to pretend that these 'monsters' suddenly emerged out of nowhere, as if out of a vacuum, is deflecting. The shit we're seeing over there now is happening as a direct consequence of our constant meddling in their affairs.

I think 'Blow back' is the expression. And 'You reap what you sow' is another.