Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    Can we all agree it’s time for cops to be cops instead of the cop, judge, jury, and executioner? Yes the victim was wrong, but that in no way entitles an officer to convict. 

I don’t think anyone on the forum is saying the officer is trying to be an executioner. The officer made a brutally poor mistake, lost her career and possibly will serve a few years for manslaughter. If you don’t hear that in her voice on the video, we'll need to agree to disagree.

the victim made a conscious decision to flea arrest, to drive without plates, to ignore a court appointment and an appearance in front of a judge, carry a gun illegally and run from the police. All of these were conscious decisions by the victim at different points in time. Did he deserve to die? of course not, this is a tragedy. But he made six conscious decisions, each of which put his life in more danger.

If democrats and the black community pretend in this case there is nothing to be learned about living within the law and respecting authority, this will turn into a gift to trump and his comrades, just like defund the police was. It is time for all of us to acknowledge when we take risky behavior involving the police, bad accidents can happen. 
    george floyd did none of those things. he complied and he was murdered. 

If I was a black person, I'd be terrified every single time I saw a siren. seriously. do I think they are being hunted? no, but I do believe that police (and the general public) have pre-conceived notions of how a person of a certain skin colour is going to act/react, how much danger they are going to be, etc, and act/react accordingly. 

To be clear, I was commenting on Wright, not Floyd. In this case, they didn’t have preconceived notions, they had knowledge of multiple violations of law and a physical altercation initiated by the suspect.

The taser was a terrible accident, the cop did not look down and had every reason to believe the criminal could have a gun in his car and had a split second to react. A horrible accident, but one the victim clearly placed himself in harms way by becoming physical in his attempt to flee arrest

Certain times call for accountability. Potter may serve four years for this horrible accident. If the black community chooses to ignore the rap sheet a young 20 year old was building in short order, they are not going to find the solutions they are hoping for.
    This is your third white supremacist post blowing the exact same dogwhistle.

This should be obvious, but it is not on victims to meet their abusers halfway.

If more than half the country thinks as this post lays out, then it deserves another fucking DJT and whatever may come of it.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that in the US's short, violent history, instances in which minority victims attempted to meet their white abusers halfway have almost never worked out for the minority community in the long run. The white abusers quickly retool their olive branches into switches.

Also, the rap sheet I saw contained two misdemeanors on it. I had plenty more on mine before my 21st birthday, and I continued to resist arrest, flee, etc., whenever confronted by LEOs. I just can't believe my luck!
    What do you mean by that in this case? Leading up to the shooting, what did the cops do wrong in this case? Are the police not supposed to arrest someone with an active warrant? Are they supposed to just let him flee without attempting to restrain him?
    No one is asking him to meet them half way, but the police need to do their jobs. And that includes arresting people with a warrant. I mean, we had a lot of talk recently about being more aggressive with gun laws. Are those gun laws only supposed ot apply to white people? Of course not. So I just don't understand what you meant by the victims are not supposed to meet their abusers half way. Up until the moment she pulled the trigger, what did they do wrong? I see nothing. Had it actually been a taser and not a gun, I'd say the police did everything right. SO what does not meeting them halfway look like, not allowing himself to be arrested?
    You see nothing wrong with how three armed cops handled that situation? Wow. Tell me, why was Daunte Wright shot?
    You've asked me this question 3 times. I'll answer again. He was shot because the female cop mistook her gun for a taser.

Up until the point he was shot, no I did not see anything wrong with it.

He was pulled over for expired tags - nothing wrong with that
    His name was ran and found to have a warrant - nothing wrong with that
    They attempted to arrest him on said warrant - nothing wrong with that
    He resisted, broke loose and lunged into his car and they attempted to restrain him - nothing wrong with that

Had the cop actually used the taser instead of the gun, I would see nothing wrong with the whole situation. Unfortunately she did, and will likely pay a price. But in the step above, prior to mistaking the gun for a taser, where did the cops go wrong? Where was he mistreated? Where did they expect him to meet half way? Where was he abused? It was a routine stop, and would have been a routine arrest on a lawful had force not been required. Are they not supposed to arrest on gun charges? I thought we wanted to be tough on guns? Or is enforcing gun laws bad now?
    So, other than mistaking her gun for a taser, the cops were perfect? There was nothing else they could have done to reduce the odds of escalation, putting themselves at potential risk or the ultimate outcome? Nothing else should have been done or could have been done differently?

I question you on this because you’re the resident policing expert (I use the term lightly, not a slight, maybe because you always take the cops side and explain the malfeasance away, like saying “if they had only complied), having chimed in many times on police tactics and having a brother who is in law enforcement. All of your questions are immaterial as they shouldn’t matter as to why Daunte Wright was shot. Again, you see absolutely nothing wrong with their tactics up until she mistakes her gun for a taser. I see a number of tactical policing errors prior to the moment the victim is shot. A 20 year old string bean of a kid and 3 armed cops escalate to tasing/shooting when threatened with fleeing the scene?

Yes, gun laws should be enforced. Yes, drivers should be pulled over for expired tags. Yes, being detained/arrested for an outstanding warrant is okay. Daunte Wright was abused the moment he was shot. And being pulled over for expired tags and being detained for, and arrested for, outstanding misdemeanors shouldn’t result in death.

Was a gun found in the car or on Mr. Wright’s person? So a prior arrest or charge for a gun crime makes you guilty of possessing a firearm every time you get pulled over and have your name run?
    Well, you do mean it as a slight, but thats okay.
    And I don't always take the cop's side. I haven't defended Chauvan. I haven't defended this girl other than saying I believe it was an accident, but that she should still have a consequence. 
    Cops can never win with some people. Its "why didn't they restrain him more" or "thats abuse!" when they do. From the video I saw they were calm when placing him under arrest. He broke free and lunged into his car. This whole incident lasted under 5 seconds. And yeah, I'm okay with 3 kops using a taser when they are unable to get restraints on for an arrest warrant and he lunges inside a car. What should they do, just ask nicely and hope this guy with a warrant for gun charges is just going to lunge into his car and then change his mind to come out and be arrested? I really am curious what your solution is. I give you the female bad a terrible mistake, and that is on her. But what do you want them to do when he breaks out of the cuffs and lunges in his car? What should be the next steps if restraints have failed and a taser is too much? Keep asking nicely until he peels off and drives away?
    Nice way to refer to a 48 year old woman who's served 26 years in law enforcement, by the way. Still think it was just an accident? No poor training, no cop fuck ups, all good? Until "the girl" pulled the trigger?
    I had no idea that would trigger you, someone who hates cops with every post. 
    I didnt remember her name. The female officer. Better?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Guess the cops need more MRAPS and at least 6 officers to arrest someone?mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

dankind said:
    Can we all agree it’s time for cops to be cops instead of the cop, judge, jury, and executioner? Yes the victim was wrong, but that in no way entitles an officer to convict. 

I don’t think anyone on the forum is saying the officer is trying to be an executioner. The officer made a brutally poor mistake, lost her career and possibly will serve a few years for manslaughter. If you don’t hear that in her voice on the video, we'll need to agree to disagree.

the victim made a conscious decision to flea arrest, to drive without plates, to ignore a court appointment and an appearance in front of a judge, carry a gun illegally and run from the police. All of these were conscious decisions by the victim at different points in time. Did he deserve to die? of course not, this is a tragedy. But he made six conscious decisions, each of which put his life in more danger.

If democrats and the black community pretend in this case there is nothing to be learned about living within the law and respecting authority, this will turn into a gift to trump and his comrades, just like defund the police was. It is time for all of us to acknowledge when we take risky behavior involving the police, bad accidents can happen. 

If I was a black person, I'd be terrified every single time I saw a siren. seriously. do I think they are being hunted? no, but I do believe that police (and the general public) have pre-conceived notions of how a person of a certain skin colour is going to act/react, how much danger they are going to be, etc, and act/react accordingly. 

To be clear, I was commenting on Wright, not Floyd. In this case, they didn’t have preconceived notions, they had knowledge of multiple violations of law and a physical altercation initiated by the suspect.

The taser was a terrible accident, the cop did not look down and had every reason to believe the criminal could have a gun in his car and had a split second to react. A horrible accident, but one the victim clearly placed himself in harms way by becoming physical in his attempt to flee arrest

Certain times call for accountability. Potter may serve four years for this horrible accident. If the black community chooses to ignore the rap sheet a young 20 year old was building in short order, they are not going to find the solutions they are hoping for.

If more than half the country thinks as this post lays out, then it deserves another fucking DJT and whatever may come of it.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that in the US's short, violent history, instances in which minority victims attempted to meet their white abusers halfway have almost never worked out for the minority community in the long run. The white abusers quickly retool their olive branches into switches.

Also, the rap sheet I saw contained two misdemeanors on it. I had plenty more on mine before my 21st birthday, and I continued to resist arrest, flee, etc., whenever confronted by LEOs. I just can't believe my luck!

By meeting halfway, my point was Black leaders need to hold those in their community accountable when they clearly break the law, and not scream nonsense that Wright was racially murdered. But go on and misinterpret since you’ve read all three of my posts about that.

White supremacist dog whistle?? I thought you liked to play by the rules here? Guess not.

Chauvin deserves conviction, Potter does not. That makes me a racist? You forgot what “defund the police” did to downballot democrats last November? Remembering that makes me racist? Good grief.

I’ll join you in breaking the rules here bud, you are out of your mind. Wish you could help me mister.

If at 20, you-

1- illegally carried a gun
    2- ran from police (then, not now)
    3- ignored an order to appear in court
    4- drove illegally without plates (which does put other citizens at risk)
    5- forcefully resisted arrest
    6- broke free of handcuffs and lunged into your car
    7- where you possibly had a gun, see #1

you probably would have served some time in prison in your 20s. Wright Knew there was a chance he was going to prison, that’s why he tried to flee. Because he actually broke the law multiple times.

If being able to identify crimes and tell the difference between Chauvin and Potter makes me a white supremacist, so be it.
    So "charged" equates to "guilt" in your mind? Since defendants are typically allowed their day in court, even if they skip/miss their initial court  appearance, you can't assume Daunte Wright was guilty or that the charges might have been dropped or plead to a lesser charge. Regardless, all of the offenses, illegal possession of a gun, failure to appear, driving with expired tags (2 to 3 month backlog due to covid) and resisting arrest in the moment were all misdemeanor charges. Unfortunately, a young man is dead and his kid is without a father. For 4 misdemeanors. To the bolded, I don't recall any convictions on his extensive rap sheet.

Did he drive "without plates?" Expired registration or no plates affixed to the vehicle? How does either of those "put other citizens at risk?" What assumption was it that he "possibly had a gun?" from the previous charge? Was one found in his possession before, during or after he was shot? Or any weapon for that matter?

Same old, same old. Cops did no wrong, put the dead person's character on trial and just comply. Potter gets her day in court, probably some free, top notch legal representation, maybe serves two to four years and rides off to retirement. Mr. Wright is dead. "Equal justice under the law," huh?

Wright didn’t appear for a court date. I saw him initiate a physical altercation while getting cuffed with a police officer and try to flee. Those 2 the evidence for guilt is strong. All this while the officer had the words “illegal gun” properly in her memory when she made her terrible error during a physical battle with a suspect. Accountability matters, on all sides. According to the times, probability for a guilt conviction in a cop taser error killing is low based on past incidents.

What is remarkable is Chauvin, who deserves prison IMO , may get his potential conviction set aside on appeal bc his judge did not sequester the jury. In this climate, low  chance Potter gets an impartial jury
    So, he didn't appear for a court date, its a misdemeanor. As was the original charge. Two of which, in your mind, makes him have a lengthy rap sheet and is a menace to society. "Physical battle?" Is diving away from an officer a "physical battle?" Did he strike either officer with his hands, feet or fists? Is the first response, in police training parlance, when someone resists arrest, to reach for your weapon? Was any kind of weapon found in the car or on Daunte Wright's person?

Some on here claim the cops did everything right, right up until she fired her gun, "thinking" it was a taser. And some on here want to lay all the blame on the dead victim. Did any of the officers sustain injuries in the "physical battle?" Cops with guns drawn, wearing body armor, carrying mace and a taser as well, three against one and they own no responsibility for the outcome until she pulls the trigger? 

What "risks were other citizens put at" because of no tags or expired tags? Accountability?

Ironic saying “original charge” instead of illegal gun carry. And it’s disgusting that it’s only a misdemeanor, but this is a crazy gun loving country. Plates are put on cars to keep us safe. Without them, you can get killed by a motorist and it would be much easier for the perpetrator to get away with it. It takes time and effort to ensure We have legal plates every time we drive. Why should laws designed to keep us safe be disregarded? And let’s add running from police, ignoring a court date, physically battling a cop to evade arrest, and attempting to drive away from a crime scene.

Three against one? Clearly three was not enough.You check out how carefully the cop on the passenger side, with all due respect to Jeff Tweedy, was looking inside the car? 

Seems they were very concerned about an illegal gun?
    "Illegal gun carry." Charged, not convicted. Did the car "not have plates?" Or was it expired tags? It makes a difference, no? Accountability and all.

Did they not have his license and registration in hand? Did they not know where he lived or could be found? Who's Jeff Tweedy? And if they were so fucking worried about a gun in the car, why did they leave it running, with the door open, a passenger potentially sitting on it and try to arrest Daunte Wright in the open door? They we're really afraid then, right? Or negligent bordering on lazy incompetence?

Right? During a training stop!

"Let's harass scrawny kid and let the rookie cuff him for practice."
    At what point do you think they were harassing him?
    Are rookies not supposed to cuff, especially while on training? Seems to make the most sense to let the trainee cuff while the training officer is there to give feedback, would you want him cuffing someone for the first time on his own?
    Was it his first time cuffing someone?
    I have no idea. But some on here think a trainee shouldn't be cuffing. So when would they learn?
    And you didnt answer my question, just quote some nonsense. When did they harass them? I never said they needed 6 cops, I asked a simple question. 
    I never said the cops harassed him, hence why I didn't respond to that. How do the cops know your name by just running the plates? You still think the cops were perfect up until she pulled the trigger? I'm saying they need six cops because apparently three results in a death sentence.
    You said ""Let's harass scrawny kid and let the rookie cuff him for practice.""
    Which I directly responded to.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    edited April 2021
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    If only all people were afforded kid gloves...I just can’t put my finger on why the cops didn’t act harsher during this actual dangerous confrontation.  It’s almost like there is a tiered policing system?  
    Republican back the bluers use these same kind of examples skewed to their narrative too prove their side too. You're doing the same pigeon holing with the generalization that this guy is only alive or not abused by use of force because he's white. Racism is a problem, but not every incident outcome is determined by race.
    So there isn’t a two tiered racist justice system in America?

There's probably countless tiers. Maybe more of a slope.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    tbergs said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    If only all people were afforded kid gloves...I just can’t put my finger on why the cops didn’t act harsher during this actual dangerous confrontation.  It’s almost like there is a tiered policing system?  
    Republican back the bluers use these same kind of examples skewed to their narrative too prove their side too. You're doing the same pigeon holing with the generalization that this guy is only alive or not abused by use of force because he's white. Racism is a problem, but not every incident outcome is determined by race.

There's probably countless tiers. Maybe more of a slope.
    Yeah a real pyramid.  It takes everyone above the next level stepping on each other to keep it  from crumbling.  Because if it’s wrong to be stepped on it’s wrong to step on someone else and we just can’t have that.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,657
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Guess the cops need more MRAPS and at least 6 officers to arrest someone?mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

dankind said:

By meeting halfway, my point was Black leaders need to hold those in their community accountable when they clearly break the law, and not scream nonsense that Wright was racially murdered. But go on and misinterpret since you’ve read all three of my posts about that.

White supremacist dog whistle?? I thought you liked to play by the rules here? Guess not.

Chauvin deserves conviction, Potter does not. That makes me a racist? You forgot what “defund the police” did to downballot democrats last November? Remembering that makes me racist? Good grief.

I’ll join you in breaking the rules here bud, you are out of your mind. Wish you could help me mister.

If at 20, you-

you probably would have served some time in prison in your 20s. Wright Knew there was a chance he was going to prison, that’s why he tried to flee. Because he actually broke the law multiple times.

If being able to identify crimes and tell the difference between Chauvin and Potter makes me a white supremacist, so be it.
    So "charged" equates to "guilt" in your mind? Since defendants are typically allowed their day in court, even if they skip/miss their initial court  appearance, you can't assume Daunte Wright was guilty or that the charges might have been dropped or plead to a lesser charge. Regardless, all of the offenses, illegal possession of a gun, failure to appear, driving with expired tags (2 to 3 month backlog due to covid) and resisting arrest in the moment were all misdemeanor charges. Unfortunately, a young man is dead and his kid is without a father. For 4 misdemeanors. To the bolded, I don't recall any convictions on his extensive rap sheet.

Did he drive "without plates?" Expired registration or no plates affixed to the vehicle? How does either of those "put other citizens at risk?" What assumption was it that he "possibly had a gun?" from the previous charge? Was one found in his possession before, during or after he was shot? Or any weapon for that matter?

Same old, same old. Cops did no wrong, put the dead person's character on trial and just comply. Potter gets her day in court, probably some free, top notch legal representation, maybe serves two to four years and rides off to retirement. Mr. Wright is dead. "Equal justice under the law," huh?

Wright didn’t appear for a court date. I saw him initiate a physical altercation while getting cuffed with a police officer and try to flee. Those 2 the evidence for guilt is strong. All this while the officer had the words “illegal gun” properly in her memory when she made her terrible error during a physical battle with a suspect. Accountability matters, on all sides. According to the times, probability for a guilt conviction in a cop taser error killing is low based on past incidents.

What is remarkable is Chauvin, who deserves prison IMO , may get his potential conviction set aside on appeal bc his judge did not sequester the jury. In this climate, low  chance Potter gets an impartial jury
    So, he didn't appear for a court date, its a misdemeanor. As was the original charge. Two of which, in your mind, makes him have a lengthy rap sheet and is a menace to society. "Physical battle?" Is diving away from an officer a "physical battle?" Did he strike either officer with his hands, feet or fists? Is the first response, in police training parlance, when someone resists arrest, to reach for your weapon? Was any kind of weapon found in the car or on Daunte Wright's person?

Some on here claim the cops did everything right, right up until she fired her gun, "thinking" it was a taser. And some on here want to lay all the blame on the dead victim. Did any of the officers sustain injuries in the "physical battle?" Cops with guns drawn, wearing body armor, carrying mace and a taser as well, three against one and they own no responsibility for the outcome until she pulls the trigger? 

What "risks were other citizens put at" because of no tags or expired tags? Accountability?

Ironic saying “original charge” instead of illegal gun carry. And it’s disgusting that it’s only a misdemeanor, but this is a crazy gun loving country. Plates are put on cars to keep us safe. Without them, you can get killed by a motorist and it would be much easier for the perpetrator to get away with it. It takes time and effort to ensure We have legal plates every time we drive. Why should laws designed to keep us safe be disregarded? And let’s add running from police, ignoring a court date, physically battling a cop to evade arrest, and attempting to drive away from a crime scene.

Three against one? Clearly three was not enough.You check out how carefully the cop on the passenger side, with all due respect to Jeff Tweedy, was looking inside the car? 

"Illegal gun carry." Charged, not convicted. Did the car "not have plates?" Or was it expired tags? It makes a difference, no? Accountability and all.

Did they not have his license and registration in hand? Did they not know where he lived or could be found? Who's Jeff Tweedy? And if they were so fucking worried about a gun in the car, why did they leave it running, with the door open, a passenger potentially sitting on it and try to arrest Daunte Wright in the open door? They we're really afraid then, right? Or negligent bordering on lazy incompetence?

Are rookies not supposed to cuff, especially while on training? Seems to make the most sense to let the trainee cuff while the training officer is there to give feedback, would you want him cuffing someone for the first time on his own?
    I have no idea. But some on here think a trainee shouldn't be cuffing. So when would they learn?
    And you didnt answer my question, just quote some nonsense. When did they harass them? I never said they needed 6 cops, I asked a simple question. 
    I never said the cops harassed him, hence why I didn't respond to that. How do the cops know your name by just running the plates? You still think the cops were perfect up until she pulled the trigger? I'm saying they need six cops because apparently three results in a death sentence.
    Try again. I never said that. Your bias is showing.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    edited April 2021
    White cop, white teenager killed.  I wonder why this incident isn't all over the news. This happened yesterday:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/us/peyton-ham-maryland-trooper-shooting/index.html

A state trooper shot and killed a 16-year-old armed with a knife and airsoft gun, Maryland authorities say

A 16-year-old, armed with a knife and what turned out to be an airsoft gun, was shot and killed Tuesday afternoon by a Maryland state trooper, a state police official said.

The shooting is the latest incident of police killing or wounding teenagers who were found with or near nonlethal guns, including recent cases in ArizonaCalifornia and Oklahoma. It also comes as police use of force is again under scrutiny following the shooting deaths in the past month of 13-year-old Adam Toledo in Chicago and 20-year-old Daunte Wright in Minnesota.
    Authorities in Maryland got two 911 calls just before 1:30 p.m. Tuesday about a "guy acting suspicious" who the callers thought had a gun, said Col. Woodrow Jones, the state police secretary. The first call was disconnected when the operator asked for a location, while the second caller gave an address but not a name, he said.
        The trooper got there within minutes and confronted a male in a driveway, a preliminary investigation indicated. The male was "armed with a gun and a knife," Jones said.
          The person in the driveway was in a "shooting stance," pointing a gun at the trooper, according to a witness, Jones said. The trooper fired at the male and wounded him, Jones added.

Then, the male pulled out a knife and tried to get up, according to a second witness, Jones said. The trooper ordered him to drop the knife before firing again, Jones said.
          The trooper reported the shooting and authorities rendered aid to the teen until emergency medical personnel arrived and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
          He was identified as Peyton Ham of Leonardtown.
          His family issued a statement Wednesday saying it was heartbroken and shattered.
          The statement, provided to CNN by family attorney Christopher Longmore, describes the teenager as "an incredibly smart, gifted sweet young man" who was an honor student attending Leonardtown High School.

A gun that was recovered at the scene was determined to be an airsoft gun that is "a close representation of an actual handgun," Jones said. A knife was also recovered, he added.
          A typical airsoft gun uses a spring or compressed air to drive air that propels round plastic pellets. The toy replica guns are designed to be nonlethal and can be used for mock shooting events such as team events or law enforcement or military training.

The trooper involved, wfho was not identified, was not injured and has been put on administrative leave pending an investigation, Jones said. The trooper has been with state police for two years and seven months, he said.
          The Maryland State Police homicide unit is conducting a criminal investigation, which is standard procedure in all trooper-involved shootings, Jones said.
          "There are many questions we do not have the answer to at this point in the investigation," he said. "However, we are committed to conducting a thorough investigation to determine what has occurred."
            Once the criminal investigation is completed, it will be presented to the St. Mary's County State's Attorney's Office for review, Jones said, adding that the deputy state's attorney went to the scene and was briefed by investigators.
            The Maryland State Police Internal Affairs Division will conduct an administrative investigation, which is also procedure, he said.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
            • Options
              Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,148

dankind said:

If at 20, you-

Missing the point. Illegal gun carry goes to frame of mind of the officers once they were notified of that outstanding warrant. You want more guns on the streets now with no enforcement? Driving with expired plates is not an indicator of potential illegal activity? Ignoring a court appearance is not a sign of disrespecting the community?

At what point should laws begin to be enforced?

Wright turned this from a routine traffic stop into a dangerous encounter. It’s a tragedy, but the left better get its act together or we are getting trump 2.0 - defund the police 2.0
            • Options
              static111 said:
              tbergs said:
              static111 said:
              CM189191 said:

There is. DOUBLE the amount of whites are killed by police each year. Must be racist Black cops. 

/s
            • Options
              Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
              mcgruff10 said:
              White cop, white teenager killed.  I wonder why this incident isn't all over the news. This happened yesterday:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/us/peyton-ham-maryland-trooper-shooting/index.html

A state trooper shot and killed a 16-year-old armed with a knife and airsoft gun, Maryland authorities say

A 16-year-old, armed with a knife and what turned out to be an airsoft gun, was shot and killed Tuesday afternoon by a Maryland state trooper, a state police official said.

The shooting is the latest incident of police killing or wounding teenagers who were found with or near nonlethal guns, including recent cases in ArizonaCalifornia and Oklahoma. It also comes as police use of force is again under scrutiny following the shooting deaths in the past month of 13-year-old Adam Toledo in Chicago and 20-year-old Daunte Wright in Minnesota.
              Authorities in Maryland got two 911 calls just before 1:30 p.m. Tuesday about a "guy acting suspicious" who the callers thought had a gun, said Col. Woodrow Jones, the state police secretary. The first call was disconnected when the operator asked for a location, while the second caller gave an address but not a name, he said.
                  The trooper got there within minutes and confronted a male in a driveway, a preliminary investigation indicated. The male was "armed with a gun and a knife," Jones said.
                    The person in the driveway was in a "shooting stance," pointing a gun at the trooper, according to a witness, Jones said. The trooper fired at the male and wounded him, Jones added.

Then, the male pulled out a knife and tried to get up, according to a second witness, Jones said. The trooper ordered him to drop the knife before firing again, Jones said.
                    The trooper reported the shooting and authorities rendered aid to the teen until emergency medical personnel arrived and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
                    His family issued a statement Wednesday saying it was heartbroken and shattered.
                    The statement, provided to CNN by family attorney Christopher Longmore, describes the teenager as "an incredibly smart, gifted sweet young man" who was an honor student attending Leonardtown High School.

A gun that was recovered at the scene was determined to be an airsoft gun that is "a close representation of an actual handgun," Jones said. A knife was also recovered, he added.
                    A typical airsoft gun uses a spring or compressed air to drive air that propels round plastic pellets. The toy replica guns are designed to be nonlethal and can be used for mock shooting events such as team events or law enforcement or military training.

The trooper involved, wfho was not identified, was not injured and has been put on administrative leave pending an investigation, Jones said. The trooper has been with state police for two years and seven months, he said.
                    The Maryland State Police homicide unit is conducting a criminal investigation, which is standard procedure in all trooper-involved shootings, Jones said.
                    "There are many questions we do not have the answer to at this point in the investigation," he said. "However, we are committed to conducting a thorough investigation to determine what has occurred."
                      Once the criminal investigation is completed, it will be presented to the St. Mary's County State's Attorney's Office for review, Jones said, adding that the deputy state's attorney went to the scene and was briefed by investigators.
                      The Maryland State Police Internal Affairs Division will conduct an administrative investigation, which is also procedure, he said.

Sounds justified to me. An airsoft gun can look like a real gun so you have to react as if it is. And after he was shot and wounded, he pulled a knife and tried to get up. Maybe the officer could've tased him when he only had the knife. But he had already shot his gun first and had it out. Might be dangerous to holster your sidearm and switch to the taser. 
                        2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
                        http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
                      • Options
                        edited April 2021
                        mace1229 said:
                        mace1229 said:
                        CM189191 said:

dankind said:

If at 20, you-

My apologies, CM said that. A mistake on who said what isn’t bias. You responded to my follow up question and mistook you for the original post. Nothing bias about not remembering who said what in every post with multiple comments.
                        Post edited by mace1229 on
                      • Options
                        BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
                      • Options
                        mace1229 said:
                        mace1229 said:
                        mace1229 said:
                        mace1229 said:
                        dankind said:

What do you mean by that in this case? Leading up to the shooting, what did the cops do wrong in this case? Are the police not supposed to arrest someone with an active warrant? Are they supposed to just let him flee without attempting to restrain him?
                        No one is asking him to meet them half way, but the police need to do their jobs. And that includes arresting people with a warrant. I mean, we had a lot of talk recently about being more aggressive with gun laws. Are those gun laws only supposed ot apply to white people? Of course not. So I just don't understand what you meant by the victims are not supposed to meet their abusers half way. Up until the moment she pulled the trigger, what did they do wrong? I see nothing. Had it actually been a taser and not a gun, I'd say the police did everything right. SO what does not meeting them halfway look like, not allowing himself to be arrested?
                        You see nothing wrong with how three armed cops handled that situation? Wow. Tell me, why was Daunte Wright shot?
                        You've asked me this question 3 times. I'll answer again. He was shot because the female cop mistook her gun for a taser.

Up until the point he was shot, no I did not see anything wrong with it.

He was pulled over for expired tags - nothing wrong with that
                        His name was ran and found to have a warrant - nothing wrong with that
                        They attempted to arrest him on said warrant - nothing wrong with that
                        He resisted, broke loose and lunged into his car and they attempted to restrain him - nothing wrong with that

Had the cop actually used the taser instead of the gun, I would see nothing wrong with the whole situation. Unfortunately she did, and will likely pay a price. But in the step above, prior to mistaking the gun for a taser, where did the cops go wrong? Where was he mistreated? Where did they expect him to meet half way? Where was he abused? It was a routine stop, and would have been a routine arrest on a lawful had force not been required. Are they not supposed to arrest on gun charges? I thought we wanted to be tough on guns? Or is enforcing gun laws bad now?
                        So, other than mistaking her gun for a taser, the cops were perfect? There was nothing else they could have done to reduce the odds of escalation, putting themselves at potential risk or the ultimate outcome? Nothing else should have been done or could have been done differently?

I question you on this because you’re the resident policing expert (I use the term lightly, not a slight, maybe because you always take the cops side and explain the malfeasance away, like saying “if they had only complied), having chimed in many times on police tactics and having a brother who is in law enforcement. All of your questions are immaterial as they shouldn’t matter as to why Daunte Wright was shot. Again, you see absolutely nothing wrong with their tactics up until she mistakes her gun for a taser. I see a number of tactical policing errors prior to the moment the victim is shot. A 20 year old string bean of a kid and 3 armed cops escalate to tasing/shooting when threatened with fleeing the scene?

Yes, gun laws should be enforced. Yes, drivers should be pulled over for expired tags. Yes, being detained/arrested for an outstanding warrant is okay. Daunte Wright was abused the moment he was shot. And being pulled over for expired tags and being detained for, and arrested for, outstanding misdemeanors shouldn’t result in death.

Was a gun found in the car or on Mr. Wright’s person? So a prior arrest or charge for a gun crime makes you guilty of possessing a firearm every time you get pulled over and have your name run?
                        Well, you do mean it as a slight, but thats okay.
                        And I don't always take the cop's side. I haven't defended Chauvan. I haven't defended this girl other than saying I believe it was an accident, but that she should still have a consequence. 
                        Cops can never win with some people. Its "why didn't they restrain him more" or "thats abuse!" when they do. From the video I saw they were calm when placing him under arrest. He broke free and lunged into his car. This whole incident lasted under 5 seconds. And yeah, I'm okay with 3 kops using a taser when they are unable to get restraints on for an arrest warrant and he lunges inside a car. What should they do, just ask nicely and hope this guy with a warrant for gun charges is just going to lunge into his car and then change his mind to come out and be arrested? I really am curious what your solution is. I give you the female bad a terrible mistake, and that is on her. But what do you want them to do when he breaks out of the cuffs and lunges in his car? What should be the next steps if restraints have failed and a taser is too much? Keep asking nicely until he peels off and drives away?
                        Nice way to refer to a 48 year old woman who's served 26 years in law enforcement, by the way. Still think it was just an accident? No poor training, no cop fuck ups, all good? Until "the girl" pulled the trigger?
                        I had no idea that would trigger you, someone who hates cops with every post. 
                        I didnt remember her name. The female officer. Better?

Just think of an activity PJ fans may enjoy at concerts, then add ER. Potter.
                      • Options
                        I'm not posting all the information contained within the link, just highlighting some disparities. Feel free to peruse the link. Or not. Since someone asked.

The United States criminal justice system is the largest in the world. At yearend 2015, over 6.7 million individuals1) were under some form of correctional control in the United States, including 2.2 million incarcerated in federal, state, or local prisons and jails.2) The U.S. is a world leader in its rate of incarceration, dwarfing the rate of nearly every other nation.3)

Such broad statistics mask the racial disparity that pervades the U.S. criminal justice system, and for African Americans in particular. African Americans are more likely than white Americans to be arrested; once arrested, they are more likely to be convicted; and once convicted, and they are more likely to experience lengthy prison sentences. African-American adults are 5.9 times as likely to be incarcerated than whites and Hispanics are 3.1 times as likely.4) As of 2001, one of every three black boys born in that year could expect to go to prison in his lifetime, as could one of every six Latinos—compared to one of every seventeen white boys.5) Racial and ethnic disparities among women are less substantial than among men but remain prevalent.6)

Racial Disparity in the United States Criminal Justice System

A. Policing

In 2016, black Americans comprised 27% of all individuals arrested in the United States—double their share of the total population.8) Black youth accounted for 15% of all U.S. children yet made up 35% of juvenile arrests in that year.9) What might appear at first to be a linkage between race and crime is in large part a function of concentrated urban poverty, which is far more common for African Americans than for other racial groups. This accounts for a substantial portion of African Americans’ increased likelihood of committing certain violent and property crimes.10) But while there is a higher black rate of involvement in certain crimes, white Americans overestimate the proportion of crime committed by blacks and Latinos, overlook the fact that communities of color are disproportionately victims of crime, and discount the prevalence of bias in the criminal justice system.11)

More than one in four people arrested for drug law violations in 2015 was black, although drug use rates do not differ substantially by race and ethnicity and drug users generally purchase drugs from people of the same race or ethnicity.15) For example, the ACLU found that blacks were 3.7 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than whites in 2010, even though their rate of marijuana usage was comparable.16)Edwards, E., Bunting, W., Garcia, L. (2013). The War on Marijuana in Black and White. New York, N

• In recent years, black drivers have been somewhat more likely to be stopped than whites but have been far more likely to be searched and arrested.21) The causes and outcomes of these stops differ by race, and staggering racial disparities in rates of police stops persist in certain jurisdictions—pointing to unchecked racial bias, whether intentional or not, in officer discretion. A closer look at the causes of traffic stops reveals that police are more likely to stop black and Hispanic drivers for discretionary reasons—for “investigatory stops” (proactive stops used to investigate drivers deemed suspicious) rather than “traffic-safety stops” (reactive stops used to enforce traffic laws or vehicle codes).22) Nationwide surveys also reveal disparities in the outcomes of police stops. Once pulled over, black and Hispanic drivers were three times as likely as whites to be searched (6% and 7% versus 2%) and blacks were twice as likely as whites to be arrested.23) These patterns hold even though police officers generally have a lower “contraband hit rate” when they search black versus white drivers.24)

• C. Sentencing

Although African Americans and Latinos comprise 29% of the U.S. population, they make up 57% of the U.S. prison population.

31) This results in imprisonment rates for African-American and Hispanic adults that are 5.9 and 3.1 times the rate for white adults, respectively—and at far higher levels in some states.32) Notably, these disparities exist for both the least and most serious offenses:
                          • Of the 277,000 people imprisoned nationwide for a drug offense, over half (56%) are African American or Latino.33)
                          • Nearly half (48%) of the 206,000 people serving life and “virtual life” prison sentences are African American and another 15% are Latino.34)

Among youth, African Americans are 4.1 times as likely to be committed to secure placements as whites, American Indians are 3.1 times as likely, and Hispanics are 1.5 times as likely.35) Although levels of youth confinement have significantly declined in recent years, the racial gap between black and American Indian versus white youth has increased.36)

The racial disparities in the adult and juvenile justice systems stem in part from the policing and pretrial factors described earlier, and are compounded by discretionary decisions and sentencing policies that disadvantage people of color because of their race or higher rates of socioeconomic disadvantage.37) These include:

• Biased use of discretion: Prosecutors are more likely to charge people of color with crimes that carry heavier sentences than whites. Federal prosecutors, for example, are twice as likely to charge African Americans with offenses that carry a mandatory minimum sentence than similarly situated whites.38) State prosecutors are also more likely to charge black rather than similar white defendants under habitual offender laws.39)

• E. Post Prison/Collateral Consequences

African Americans—particularly black men—are most exposed to the collateral consequences associated with a criminal record. In 2010, 8% of all adults in the United States had a felony conviction on their record.

45) Among African-American men, the rate was one in three (33%).46) People with criminal records face a host of obstacles to re-enter society even after they have fully completed their term of incarceration or community supervision. These include barriers to securing steady employment and housing, to accessing the social safety net and federal student aid, and to exercising the right to vote.

Nearly one-third of U.S. workers hold jobs that require an occupational license, a requirement which sometimes bars and often poses cumbersome obstacles for people with criminal records.47) In sectors that do not require licensing, employers are 50% less likely to call back white job applicants with incarceration histories than comparable applicants without prison records.48) African American job applicants, who are less likely to receive callbacks than whites to begin with, experience an even more pronounced discrimination related to a criminal record. As scholar Devah Pager’s research has revealed, whites with criminal records receive more favorable treatment than blacks without criminal records.49) People with criminal convictions also face discrimination in the private rental market and those with felony drug convictions face restrictions in accessing government-assisted housing.50)

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
                      • Options
                        Why is the media not mentioning this info??

definitely not a misdemeanor 

• Options

This isn't what the warrant he was being arrested on the other day was for. So maybe this case is already closed. 
                        2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
                      • Options
                        mace1229 said:
                        mace1229 said:
                        mace1229 said:
                        CM189191 said:

dankind said:

If at 20, you-

My apologies, CM said that. A mistake on who said what isn’t bias. You responded to my follow up question and mistook you for the original post. Nothing bias about not remembering who said what in every post with multiple comments.
                        Your bias is stating that "I hate cops with every post." Because I happen to disagree with your love affair for every cop, in every situation, leading up to pulling the trigger. Particularly when it seems that you dismiss race in the equation. Every time.

Brilliantati©
                      • Options

This isn't what the warrant he was being arrested on the other day was for. So maybe this case is already closed. 

My point has been accountability and how we treat others, and how the results of those actions put us in either safer or more dangerous situations. The Black community has been trying to say this was racist murder against an innocent man. We will never know,  cause he never decided to face the results of his actions.
                      • Options
                        mace1229 said:
                        mace1229 said:
                        mace1229 said:
                        CM189191 said:

dankind said:

If at 20, you-

Your bias is stating that "I hate cops with every post." Because I happen to disagree with your love affair for every cop, in every situation, leading up to pulling the trigger. Particularly when it seems that you dismiss race in the equation. Every time.
                        There's been multiple events I haven't defended the cops. There do seem to be many events in which you have issues with routine procedures and speak negatively of the police. It seems most here have no issue with what happened prior to the shooting. Stopping for expired tags, running a name, make an arrest for a warrant, etc. You seem to have issues with police arresting someone with an arrest warrant. That, among many other comments, leads me to believe you dislike police.
                        We'll just have to disagree, you wont change my mind and I wont change yours about what happened a few days ago. You won't be able to convince me police shouldn't stop for expired tags and arrest someone who has a warrant for gun charges. I would think wanting to improve gun laws you would be okay with that, but we will have to disagree there too.
                      • Options
                        edited April 2021

My point has been accountability and how we treat others, and how the results of those actions put us in either safer or more dangerous situations. The Black community has been trying to say this was racist murder against an innocent man. We will never know,  cause he never decided to face the results of his actions.
                        Oh trust me, I'm with you. But we don't know enough about this specific warrant to speculate. Maybe this one wasn't for skipping court. Maybe he was a suspect in this robbery case. Probably not....but ya never know. And there's no conviction for this that I'm aware of. So I can see why it's not being reported on. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
                      • Options
                        mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886

have yet to see reporting on the circumstances for the missed court date. any number of reasons why , until I see why , I choose to remain neutral on that.
                        _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
                        you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
                        memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
                        another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
                      • Options
                        mcgruff10 said:

This just reinforces that we have a gun culture and a police killing kids problem
                                  Scio me nihil scire

• Options
                                  dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
                                  edited April 2021
                                  static111 said:
                                  mcgruff10 said:

This just reinforces that we have a gun culture and a police killing kids problem
                                            Also, Scruffy just posted a CNN article, which I posted earlier along with WaPo, ABC and (maybe?) more. 

THIS WAS WELL COVERED BY MSM!

What kind of backward logic posts a CNN article on a subject and then asks why that subject is not being covered?

Keep pushing that narrative, though, folks.

Edit: 

dankind said:

Post edited by dankind on
                                            I SAW PEARL JAM
                                          • Options
                                            dankind said:
                                            static111 said:
                                            mcgruff10 said:

Also, Scruffy just posted a CNN article, which I posted earlier along with WaPo, ABC and (maybe?) more. 

What kind of backward logic posts a CNN article on a subject and then asks why that subject is not being covered?

Edit: 

dankind said:

People that have an inaccurate counter narrative to push?
                                                      Scio me nihil scire

• Options
                                                      static111 said:
                                                      dankind said:
                                                      static111 said:
                                                      mcgruff10 said:

Edit: 

dankind said:

Fucking ridiculous. It was all over my news feeds this morning.

I don't know. I'm not on social media, and I realize that's where a lot of people get their news these days. So maybe it wasn't popular on social media.

But I got a ton of alerts and updates on this story this morning from most of the outlets to which I subscribe; also, I'm still privy to breaking news alerts from my journalist days. And this story was in those as well.
                                                                I SAW PEARL JAM
                                                              • Options
                                                                mace1229 said:
                                                                mace1229 said:
                                                                mace1229 said:
                                                                mace1229 said:
                                                                CM189191 said:

dankind said:

If at 20, you-

There's been multiple events I haven't defended the cops. There do seem to be many events in which you have issues with routine procedures and speak negatively of the police. It seems most here have no issue with what happened prior to the shooting. Stopping for expired tags, running a name, make an arrest for a warrant, etc. You seem to have issues with police arresting someone with an arrest warrant. That, among many other comments, leads me to believe you dislike police.
                                                                We'll just have to disagree, you wont change my mind and I wont change yours about what happened a few days ago. You won't be able to convince me police shouldn't stop for expired tags and arrest someone who has a warrant for gun charges. I would think wanting to improve gun laws you would be okay with that, but we will have to disagree there too.
                                                                Is it "routine" to leave a car running while you interview, detain and attempt an arrest? Is it "routine" to attempt to handcuff a suspect in the open driver's door of a running vehicle? Is it routine to treat a suspect who breaks away from being hand cuffed and dives away from the arresting officer to have a gun or taser drawn on them as the first response "to the threat?" Is it "routine" to shoot a suspect, with a gun or taser, in the absence of observing or finding a weapon?

How do the cops know the driver's name from just running the plate, as you claimed in your example of being pulled over and it taking five minutes?

I'll ask again, were there plates on the car or was it expired tags? Do you still believe the cops acted appropriate, "routinely," up to the moment she pulled the trigger?

I have a problem with racist cops and a racist criminal justice system and I see it for what it is. I also have a problem with the disproportionate amount of force by cops that is used against people of color for minor criminal infractions. Two misdemeanors and he's a menace to society.

As for the gun laws, do you think they traced the serial number and arrested the straw purchaser, owner, corrupt gun store owner or made any effort to trace the provenance of the gun? Should that "responsible" gun owner be held to account?

Brilliantati©
                                                              • Options
                                                                dankind said:
                                                                static111 said:
                                                                dankind said:
                                                                static111 said:
                                                                mcgruff10 said:

Edit: 

dankind said:

Fucking ridiculous. It was all over my news feeds this morning.

I don't know. I'm not on social media, and I realize that's where a lot of people get their news these days. So maybe it wasn't popular on social media.

But I got a ton of alerts and updates on this story this morning from most of the outlets to which I subscribe; also, I'm still privy to breaking news alerts from my journalist days. And this story was in those as well.
                                                                          Easy there Mr. Masswhol, I don’t follow every single post in every thread.  I do apologize from the bottom of my heart from missing your news link in the very same story but honestly I did not see that story “buzzing” on any social media (Twitter, fb) or on the front “page”
                                                                          of the news.  I am hugging my phone thinking it is you in an attempt to say how deeply sorry I am. ;)
                                                                        • Options
                                                                          tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
                                                                          Anyone claiming the 2 stories were covered the same is full of shit. Excuse my vulgarity. Race related shootings get the clicks over ho-hum white shootings unless it's mass casualty (where whites have the market cornered).
                                                                          It's a hopeless situation...
                                                                        • Options
                                                                          tbergs said:
                                                                          Anyone claiming the 2 stories were covered the same is full of shit. Excuse my vulgarity. Race related shootings get the clicks over ho-hum white shootings unless it's mass casualty (where whites have the market cornered).
                                                                          Good thing no one claimed that. 
                                                                          I SAW PEARL JAM
                                                                        • Options
                                                                          dankind said:
                                                                          tbergs said:
                                                                          Good thing no one claimed that. 
                                                                          Then what were you implying in your mini rant?  Sure seemed like it to me.  

My point is you damn well know if that was a black kid and a white cop there would have been a huge outcry and this story would have been front page news for days.  There was zero reason for that cop to shoot a second time when the kid raised his knife.  Couldn’t The cop could walk backwards ten steps to avoid the knife?
                                                                          the media and many posters in this forum post what they want to support their narrative.  You and I both know this. 
                                                                        • Options
                                                                          edited April 2021
                                                                          mace1229 said:
                                                                          mace1229 said:
                                                                          mace1229 said:
                                                                          mace1229 said:
                                                                          CM189191 said:

dankind said:

If at 20, you-

Is it "routine" to leave a car running while you interview, detain and attempt an arrest? Is it "routine" to attempt to handcuff a suspect in the open driver's door of a running vehicle? Is it routine to treat a suspect who breaks away from being hand cuffed and dives away from the arresting officer to have a gun or taser drawn on them as the first response "to the threat?" Is it "routine" to shoot a suspect, with a gun or taser, in the absence of observing or finding a weapon?

How do the cops know the driver's name from just running the plate, as you claimed in your example of being pulled over and it taking five minutes?

I'll ask again, were there plates on the car or was it expired tags? Do you still believe the cops acted appropriate, "routinely," up to the moment she pulled the trigger?

I have a problem with racist cops and a racist criminal justice system and I see it for what it is. I also have a problem with the disproportionate amount of force by cops that is used against people of color for minor criminal infractions. Two misdemeanors and he's a menace to society.

As for the gun laws, do you think they traced the serial number and arrested the straw purchaser, owner, corrupt gun store owner or made any effort to trace the provenance of the gun? Should that "responsible" gun owner be held to account?
                                                                          Not sure why the issue of plates has come up. The press conference said it was expired tags, and you can see the plates in the video. So I'm going to go with it was expired tags. 
                                                                          I would think it is routine when anyone is being arrested with an outstanding warrant and they resist and flea to use non-leathal force such as a taser. That seems standard and appropriate. What should they do, just let everyone go when they dont want to be arrested? Guess how empty the jails would be.
                                                                          As far as the door and engine. I can't tell the engine was running, maybe it was. The door, sure, he should have closed it. He was also a trainee with the training officer stepping back to observe. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Leaving the door open didnt violent anyone's right. Probably would have been a point of discussion later had he not fled.
                                                                          We can go in circles all day, I don't care to. Potter, now that I wont make the mistake of forgetting her name again, was completely at fault of mistaking her gun for a taser. Up until that moment, Wright was not mistreated, no major violations were made by the police. I don't consider leaving the door open a major violation. If you want to nit pick every detail and put all the fault on the cops because 1 door was left open by a trainee, then i gues you can play that game. I don't care to. Potter made a mistake, it killed someone, she will likely pay. They had every right to stop and arrest him. He resisted. They had the right to tase him. That is on him, as in I'm not blaming the cops for that. Mistaking the gun for a taser is on her. 
                                                                          Post edited by mace1229 on
                                                                        This discussion has been closed.