cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    edited April 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    White cop, white teenager killed.  I wonder why this incident isn't all over the news. This happened yesterday:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/us/peyton-ham-maryland-trooper-shooting/index.html

A state trooper shot and killed a 16-year-old armed with a knife and airsoft gun, Maryland authorities say

A 16-year-old, armed with a knife and what turned out to be an airsoft gun, was shot and killed Tuesday afternoon by a Maryland state trooper, a state police official said.

The shooting is the latest incident of police killing or wounding teenagers who were found with or near nonlethal guns, including recent cases in ArizonaCalifornia and Oklahoma. It also comes as police use of force is again under scrutiny following the shooting deaths in the past month of 13-year-old Adam Toledo in Chicago and 20-year-old Daunte Wright in Minnesota.
    Authorities in Maryland got two 911 calls just before 1:30 p.m. Tuesday about a "guy acting suspicious" who the callers thought had a gun, said Col. Woodrow Jones, the state police secretary. The first call was disconnected when the operator asked for a location, while the second caller gave an address but not a name, he said.
        The trooper got there within minutes and confronted a male in a driveway, a preliminary investigation indicated. The male was "armed with a gun and a knife," Jones said.
          The person in the driveway was in a "shooting stance," pointing a gun at the trooper, according to a witness, Jones said. The trooper fired at the male and wounded him, Jones added.

Then, the male pulled out a knife and tried to get up, according to a second witness, Jones said. The trooper ordered him to drop the knife before firing again, Jones said.
          The trooper reported the shooting and authorities rendered aid to the teen until emergency medical personnel arrived and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
          He was identified as Peyton Ham of Leonardtown.
          His family issued a statement Wednesday saying it was heartbroken and shattered.
          The statement, provided to CNN by family attorney Christopher Longmore, describes the teenager as "an incredibly smart, gifted sweet young man" who was an honor student attending Leonardtown High School.

A gun that was recovered at the scene was determined to be an airsoft gun that is "a close representation of an actual handgun," Jones said. A knife was also recovered, he added.
          A typical airsoft gun uses a spring or compressed air to drive air that propels round plastic pellets. The toy replica guns are designed to be nonlethal and can be used for mock shooting events such as team events or law enforcement or military training.

The trooper involved, wfho was not identified, was not injured and has been put on administrative leave pending an investigation, Jones said. The trooper has been with state police for two years and seven months, he said.
          The Maryland State Police homicide unit is conducting a criminal investigation, which is standard procedure in all trooper-involved shootings, Jones said.
          "There are many questions we do not have the answer to at this point in the investigation," he said. "However, we are committed to conducting a thorough investigation to determine what has occurred."
            Once the criminal investigation is completed, it will be presented to the St. Mary's County State's Attorney's Office for review, Jones said, adding that the deputy state's attorney went to the scene and was briefed by investigators.
            The Maryland State Police Internal Affairs Division will conduct an administrative investigation, which is also procedure, he said.

This just reinforces that we have a gun culture and a police killing kids problem
              Also, Scruffy just posted a CNN article, which I posted earlier along with WaPo, ABC and (maybe?) more. 

THIS WAS WELL COVERED BY MSM!

What kind of backward logic posts a CNN article on a subject and then asks why that subject is not being covered?

Keep pushing that narrative, though, folks.

Edit: 

dankind said:

People that have an inaccurate counter narrative to push?
              Fucking ridiculous. It was all over my news feeds this morning.

I don't know. I'm not on social media, and I realize that's where a lot of people get their news these days. So maybe it wasn't popular on social media.

But I got a ton of alerts and updates on this story this morning from most of the outlets to which I subscribe; also, I'm still privy to breaking news alerts from my journalist days. And this story was in those as well.
              Easy there Mr. Masswhol, I don’t follow every single post in every thread.  I do apologize from the bottom of my heart from missing your news link in the very same story but honestly I did not see that story “buzzing” on any social media (Twitter, fb) or on the front “page”
              of the news.  I am hugging my phone thinking it is you in an attempt to say how deeply sorry I am. ;)
              Don’t fight.....neither of you are racist....you're on the same side.  dankind consider accepting his apology because you know (or may not) he didn’t mean it like that. Had to update to not infer I know what anyone thinks or feels....
              Post edited by cblock4life on
            • Options
              CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
              CM189191 said:
              craziest part about this video I just noticed:
              lady filming has a goddamn air freshener hanging from her rvm
              wonder how many times she's been pulled over

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
            • Options
              tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
              CM189191 said:
              CM189191 said:

Depends. Not many cops pull over for that violation because after all, it is used as a pretext ;) If an officer is looking for drunks, drugs or illegal drivers, that's the best way to make contact. I'm sure that bothers you, but it catches a lot of serious criminals. Lazy cops avoid those kinds of stops because it's a lot of extra work (arrest, booking, report, court, etc.).

But yes, before you say it, there are probably those who abuse the power. Doesn't mean you take it away from all.
              It's a hopeless situation...
            • Options
              static111static111 Posts: 4,889
              tbergs said:
              Anyone claiming the 2 stories were covered the same is full of shit. Excuse my vulgarity. Race related shootings get the clicks over ho-hum white shootings unless it's mass casualty (where whites have the market cornered).
              mcgruff10 said:
              dankind said:
              tbergs said:
              Anyone claiming the 2 stories were covered the same is full of shit. Excuse my vulgarity. Race related shootings get the clicks over ho-hum white shootings unless it's mass casualty (where whites have the market cornered).
              Good thing no one claimed that. 
              Then what were you implying in your mini rant?  Sure seemed like it to me.  

My point is you damn well know if that was a black kid and a white cop there would have been a huge outcry and this story would have been front page news for days.  There was zero reason for that cop to shoot a second time when the kid raised his knife.  Couldn’t The cop could walk backwards ten steps to avoid the knife?
              the media and many posters in this forum post what they want to support their narrative.  You and I both know this. 
              I think they are covered differently because there is like 300 years of marginalization and over policing of one of these demographics. I could be wrong?  Both are horrible. Unfortunately only one of the cultural groups has this kind of mistake happen at a much higher rate coupled with problems of a system that was designed against them.
              Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
            • Options
              mcgruff10 said:
              dankind said:
              tbergs said:

My point is you damn well know if that was a black kid and a white cop there would have been a huge outcry and this story would have been front page news for days.  There was zero reason for that cop to shoot a second time when the kid raised his knife.  Couldn’t The cop could walk backwards ten steps to avoid the knife?
              the media and many posters in this forum post what they want to support their narrative.  You and I both know this. 
              That these things happen to one group at a higher rate than others because of an inherent flaw of our white supremacist foundation isn’t really a “narrative” it’s actually factually and historically accurate.
              Scio me nihil scire

• Options
              mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,885
              weve been approaching this from the wrong angle.

maybe instead of demanding better policing toward the black and brown communities , we demand that whites get treated like black and brown do.

I figure then shit changes for the better pretty quickly.....
              _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
              you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
              memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
              another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
            • Options
              Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
              static111 said:
              tbergs said:
              mcgruff10 said:
              dankind said:
              tbergs said:

I think they are covered differently because there is like 300 years of marginalization and over policing of one of these demographics. I could be wrong?  Both are horrible. Unfortunately only one of the cultural groups has this kind of mistake happen at a much higher rate coupled with problems of a system that was designed against them.

Maybe this would be a good opportunity to be color-blind about it and just view these as two deaths that could've been avoided. If you ("you" in general, not you in particular) really want there to be some police reform, the best way to swing public sentiment in favor of it is to cover these incidents as "police terrorizing citizens," and not just as "white people terrorizing black people." And I get it, it's disproportional against black people. 300 years of marginalization, white privilege, white supremacy, etc, etc, etc. We all get it. But in a country that's 75% white, being dismissive of the killing of a white person by police, in an incident that would have you (again, "you" in general) up in arms if the exact same thing happened to a black person, isn't going to earn the needed amount of public sentiment against police brutality to make any real reform. This killing of the white kid (or hell, even the white woman that stormed the capital, who was committing a crime, but wasn't an armed threat) would be a good opportunity for a Ben Crump-type (or any crusader against police brutality) to say "See, it can happen to you (white people) too. The police are out of control." But those crusaders don't even bother with incidents against white people, despite those incidents being just as useful in arguing for police reform. Stuff like that could unite people of different races to rise up in unison against bad law-enforcement.

You know what won't unite anybody? Every police killing of a black person coming with an attempted moral guilt-trip reminding us (white people) of 300 years of marginalization, and over-policing, and white supremacy, and on and on and on. That just divides us all more. Would you (again, in general) like me to put in my message-board signature, "It must be awful to be black. I'm thankful I'm white because I have it so much easier in America than black people do, and that's not fair to black people." It seems as if that's what you (in general) want to hear from white America. I'll say it. I don't mind admitting it. But good luck getting the other over 200 million white people to say it. If anything, the way this stuff if covered is gonna lead to less white people saying, "Wow, black people aren't treated fairly, what can I do to help?" and more white people saying "Wow, black people aren't treated fairly, welp, better them than me."' 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
              http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
            • Options
              2 children and one young adult dead by police in one week. Surely something can be done about aggressive trigger happy policing.  It just seems like the trigger is the first thing to reach for when it should be one of the last. 
              Scio me nihil scire

• Options

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
              you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
              memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
              another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
            • Options
              mickeyrat said:

That picture is missing the wallet that Amadou Diallo took 41 shots for.
              Scio me nihil scire

• Options
              tbergs said:
              CM189191 said:
              CM189191 said:

Depends. Not many cops pull over for that violation because after all, it is used as a pretext ;) If an officer is looking for drunks, drugs or illegal drivers, that's the best way to make contact. I'm sure that bothers you, but it catches a lot of serious criminals. Lazy cops avoid those kinds of stops because it's a lot of extra work (arrest, booking, report, court, etc.).

But yes, before you say it, there are probably those who abuse the power. Doesn't mean you take it away from all.

Not the cop that stopped me.

They actually bothered to issue a written warning and file it with the courts.  
              WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
            • Options
              static111 said:
              2 children and one young adult dead by police in one week. Surely something can be done about aggressive trigger happy policing.  It just seems like the trigger is the first thing to reach for when it should be one of the last. 
              1 unnecessary death is too many; however, it should be put in perspective of the total number of interactions and use of force situations across the entire country. Most of these are training issues and should be correctable if policing standards are adequately elevated. That's where the failure is happening though. Instead of defund and disband the police, communities should be pushing for stricter hiring, training and disciplinary procedures.
            • Options
              tbergs said:
              static111 said:
              1 unnecessary death is too many; however, it should be put in perspective of the total number of interactions and use of force situations across the entire country. Most of these are training issues and should be correctable if policing standards are adequately elevated. That's where the failure is happening though. Instead of defund and disband the police, communities should be pushing for stricter hiring, training and disciplinary procedures.

it begins at hiring......

• Options
              mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
              I greatly respect the two and 100% agree:

Speaking to Chris Cuomo during the hand-off between shows, Lemon said, “This is tough, Chris, because, you know, not all police shootings are equal.” He soon added, “If someone's running with a gun and they turn around, police officers have to make decisions in split seconds. That's why I'm not a police officer, because I couldn't face that kind of pressure, and I just, quite frankly, don't believe that I could do the job. That’s why I sit here on TV and analyze it and talk to people about it.”

Though at the exact moment he was shot Toledo was not armed, a gun was found just feet from where the shooting occurred, and gunshot residue was found on the teenager’s hand. The gun is believed to have been ditched just seconds before Toledo was shot, and Lemon reiterated his point that people should not jump to conclusions and consider this to be an act of officer aggression.

“We cannot judge all police shootings, we cannot put them all in the same realm,” Lemon said. “They make split second decisions. Sometimes they are tragic, sometimes they are warranted, sometimes they are not.”

Cuomo brought up the fact that the officer immediately attempted to provide aid to Toledo after the shooting, and could be heard seemingly distressed after he and other officers were unable to revive him. Cuomo agreed that this officer should not be seen in the same light as Chauvin, and believes that the body camera footage will ultimately exonerate the officer.

“In this case, I think that body camera footage is going to wind up lead investigators to say that, ‘Look, this is terrible. I wish it came out another way, I wish he hadn’t shot, but I understand why he did,’” Cuomo said. “And if he hadn’t had the body camera footage, I think that he would have been in a very difficult situation.”

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
            • Options
              cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
              edited April 2021
              Feel free to correct me (mace) but it’s my understanding that had he not faced forward with his hands up he probably would not have been shot (?)
              now should a 13 year old know that, probably not, however out at two am with a gun, maybe the adult with him should have enlightened him. I feel bad but if what I believe is true about surrendering then it was a split second decision and the officer did what they are trained to do. 
              Post edited by cblock4life on
            • Options
              Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
              mcgruff10 said:
              I greatly respect the two and 100% agree:

Speaking to Chris Cuomo during the hand-off between shows, Lemon said, “This is tough, Chris, because, you know, not all police shootings are equal.” He soon added, “If someone's running with a gun and they turn around, police officers have to make decisions in split seconds. That's why I'm not a police officer, because I couldn't face that kind of pressure, and I just, quite frankly, don't believe that I could do the job. That’s why I sit here on TV and analyze it and talk to people about it.”

Though at the exact moment he was shot Toledo was not armed, a gun was found just feet from where the shooting occurred, and gunshot residue was found on the teenager’s hand. The gun is believed to have been ditched just seconds before Toledo was shot, and Lemon reiterated his point that people should not jump to conclusions and consider this to be an act of officer aggression.

“We cannot judge all police shootings, we cannot put them all in the same realm,” Lemon said. “They make split second decisions. Sometimes they are tragic, sometimes they are warranted, sometimes they are not.”

Cuomo brought up the fact that the officer immediately attempted to provide aid to Toledo after the shooting, and could be heard seemingly distressed after he and other officers were unable to revive him. Cuomo agreed that this officer should not be seen in the same light as Chauvin, and believes that the body camera footage will ultimately exonerate the officer.

“In this case, I think that body camera footage is going to wind up lead investigators to say that, ‘Look, this is terrible. I wish it came out another way, I wish he hadn’t shot, but I understand why he did,’” Cuomo said. “And if he hadn’t had the body camera footage, I think that he would have been in a very difficult situation.”

After seeing the slowed down footage and the kid ditching the gun, I also agree. 

This is awful, and I feel terrible for everyone involved. 
            • Options
              HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
              static111 said:
              tbergs said:
              static111 said:
              CM189191 said:
              If only all people were afforded kid gloves...I just can’t put my finger on why the cops didn’t act harsher during this actual dangerous confrontation.  It’s almost like there is a tiered policing system?  
              Republican back the bluers use these same kind of examples skewed to their narrative too prove their side too. You're doing the same pigeon holing with the generalization that this guy is only alive or not abused by use of force because he's white. Racism is a problem, but not every incident outcome is determined by race.
              So there isn’t a two tiered racist justice system in America?

There is. DOUBLE the amount of whites are killed by police each year. Must be racist Black cops. 

/s
              black people make up 13% of the american population, yet they make up a much higher amount in police related killings. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/
              Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
              HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
              Nailed it.

Full video:

https://youtu.be/FhhBocZnkoQ
            • Options
              mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
              CM189191 said:
              CM189191 said:

Are you posting this because of Daunte? You have heard that narrative about the air freshener wasn't true, right?
            • Options
              mickeyrat said:

Neighborhood watch is not the same as police. If this wants to be accurate, the skittles picture needs to not have a cop, but some power happy neighborhood watch guy instead.
            • Options
              static111 said:
              Who are the 2 children in 1 week? I haven't heard of any children this week.
            • Options
              edited April 2021
              Feel free to correct me (mace) but it’s my understanding that had he not faced forward with his hands up he probably would not have been shot (?)
              now should a 13 year old know that, probably not, however out at two am with a gun, maybe the adult with him should have enlightened him. I feel bad but if what I believe is true about surrendering then it was a split second decision and the officer did what they are trained to do. 
              I only heard about this story on CBS This Morning while getting ready for work. I dont have a lot to comment on because I only heard the 1 segment. Definitely sad. Gale, who I often disagree with, had some good points when they covered it. She felt sorry for both. She recognized it was nearly 3 AM, they were responding to shots fired. Its hard to see from the video if it was a gun in his hand while running, but its clear there was a gun next to him after he was shot. The cops have a fraction of a second to decide what to do. I feel sorry for the kid, but I wouldn't want to be a cop in that situation either. Dark alley, responding to shots being fired, a chase on foot where you don;t know where you're being lead to. Not a good situation all around. I haven't formed much of an opinion yet since I only heard a brief story while getting ready. Since this was last month, hopefully there is more information available that will be released soon.
            • Options
              mace1229 said:
              static111 said:
              13 year old and 16 year old
              Scio me nihil scire

• Options
              mace1229 said:
              CM189191 said:
              CM189191 said:

Are you posting this because of Daunte? You have heard that narrative about the air freshener wasn't true, right?
              ..go on...

Because I'm still under the impression he was pulled over for an air freshener.

I know he had expired tags, too.  Which likely would've been noticed after having already been pulled over.

Neither are an excuse for murder by cop.
            • Options
              static111 said:
              mace1229 said:
              static111 said:
              The 13 year old from last month? Who was the 16 year old? I dont remember that story, or maybe just didn't realize he was 16.
            • Options
              mace1229 said:
              static111 said:
              mace1229 said:
              static111 said:
              The 13 year old from last month? Who was the 16 year old? I dont remember that story, or maybe just didn't realize he was 16.
              My understanding is that there was a 16 year old white kid that was recently killed by cops, I just saw that the 13 year old was March 29.  So my bad. 1 young  adult and 2 children in 30 days.
              Scio me nihil scire

• Options
              Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
              static111 said:
              mace1229 said:
              static111 said:
              mace1229 said:
              static111 said:
              My understanding is that there was a 16 year old white kid that was recently killed by cops, I just saw that the 13 year old was March 29.  So my bad. 1 young  adult and 2 children in 30 days.

The 16yo was in Maryland...  he was in possession of a knife and airsoft gun. Based on what little I've read of the witness reports, it sounds justified. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/us/peyton-ham-maryland-trooper-shooting/index.html

• Options
              static111 said:
              mace1229 said:
              static111 said:
              mace1229 said:
              static111 said:
              I wasn’t trying to correct you, I thought I missed some breaking news. I did hear about the air soft gun, don’t think I heard the age. Although it’s a good guess it would be a kid.
            • Options
              CM189191 said:
              mace1229 said:
              CM189191 said:
              CM189191 said:

..go on...

Because I'm still under the impression he was pulled over for an air freshener.

I know he had expired tags, too.  Which likely would've been noticed after having already been pulled over.

Neither are an excuse for murder by cop.
              Why are you under that impression? The air freshener story was only on Twitter started by friends and family. The police confirmed he had expired tags and that he was pulled over for that. Expired tags seems a lot more likely of a reason and I don’t think it’s that uncommon. So there’s really no reason I see not to believe that.
            • Options
              Expired tags are pretty easy to spot well before stopped. Year tag would be the wrong color when compared to month. Easier to see that than a pine tree at least based on how clean the plates looked.
            This discussion has been closed.